[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

I did compare This DSDT you posted, i've found some difference for my "CPU". Looks more stable but still theres a Kernel Panic on "mdworker" you got any ideas? do you have kelnel panic issues?

Hey buddy,

No KP, I've had it running for a while now. I tried Brett's DSDT, and the left USB ports don't work, and I think he mentioned that in a earlier post. I think he mentioned that sometimes they work, sometimes not.

I have everything working xcept:

Sleep

Hibernate (deep sleep)

Sound (VoodooHDA doesn't sound very good)

Alps Trackpad works but I need a SL compatible Trackpad.prefpane, the old modified one for Leopard seems to screw up System Preferences.

Ethernet, Yukon2 kext needs to be modified to fix generic MAC address problem.

Trying to install 10.6 but as soon as it tries to load Darwin from Chameleon i get a kernel panic

Any Ideas?

Hello Steve,

Do you have the picture of the kernel panic or more description?

Trying to install 10.6 but as soon as it tries to load Darwin from Chameleon i get a kernel panic

Any Ideas?

Dude change Chameleon version. Earlier on this post Brett posted a boot loader find the intalation instruccions "sudo ...".

Hey buddy,

No KP, I've had it running for a while now. I tried Brett's DSDT, and the left USB ports don't work, and I think he mentioned that in a earlier post. I think he mentioned that sometimes they work, sometimes not.

I have everything working xcept:

Sleep

Hibernate (deep sleep)

Sound (VoodooHDA doesn't sound very good)

Alps Trackpad works but I need a SL compatible Trackpad.prefpane, the old modified one for Leopard seems to screw up System Preferences.

Ethernet, Yukon2 kext needs to be modified to fix generic MAC address problem.

Hello Steve,

Do you have the picture of the kernel panic or more description?

Good for you i'm still struggling trying to tweak my DTST for my CPU. Got a bunch of errors. Fu :) in' thousands of brackets.

I did compare This DSDT you posted, i've found some difference for my "CPU". Looks more stable but still theres a Kernel Panic on "mdworker" you got any ideas? do you have kelnel panic issues?

mdworker is the spotlight utility.

It tries to index your system disk but without good permissions and a kextcache, it will fail and cause a KP.

It usually happens one 1 or 2 minutes after boot.

Also you will see different apps causing kernel panics with this same issue.

I've posted some days ago a script to put in your root directory or whatever you want. With this script on your SL partition, you will need to boot in Single user and launch it to change permissions and create a new mkext (don't forget to do a chmod 777 on the script before launching it).

Also, if you don't want to boot in "Single user", you can disable spotlight RIGHT AFTER you're logged in by doing a "sudo mdutil -a -i off"

It will disable the Spotlight indexation.

Then correct Permissions, do your kextcache and do a "sudo mdutil -a -i on"

If it's not this issue you have, then post your kernel panic while booting in verbose mode.

I've tried the Chameleon in the earlier post and also from their own website.

It loads the bootloader then when it loads Darwin (Grey Apple Screen) i get

106227_3.jpg

I'm doubly pissed off now cause my Macbook Pro just died (flashing folder icon on boot) :)

Flashing icon at boot means the Mac can't find your boot disk or you have deleted some files that are needed by the system.

A good tip is to boot your mac in "Target Mode". You will be able to recover files from your mac with a Firewire connection.

Just hold the "T" button on your Mac and connect with a firewire cable your Mac to another machine using MacOS.

Same, for your hack, just boot in verbose mode and post your kernel panic.

Regards,

Josh.

Right i've managed to get SL installed using the SuperHai boot cd.

My machine has the 8600 in but shows up as an 8400? Any Ideas?

I have the Dell Broadcom Wifi but it doesn't show up?

Also i have no audio from Sigmatel 9205

Lastly how do you install the modded DSDT?

Thanks in advance ;)

mdworker is the spotlight utility.

It tries to index your system disk but without good permissions and a kextcache, it will fail and cause a KP.

It usually happens one 1 or 2 minutes after boot.

Also you will see different apps causing kernel panics with this same issue.

I've posted some days ago a script to put in your root directory or whatever you want. With this script on your SL partition, you will need to boot in Single user and launch it to change permissions and create a new mkext (don't forget to do a chmod 777 on the script before launching it).

Also, if you don't want to boot in "Single user", you can disable spotlight RIGHT AFTER you're logged in by doing a "sudo mdutil -a -i off"

It will disable the Spotlight indexation.

Then correct Permissions, do your kextcache and do a "sudo mdutil -a -i on"

If it's not this issue you have, then post your kernel panic while booting in verbose mode.

Flashing icon at boot means the Mac can't find your boot disk or you have deleted some files that are needed by the system.

A good tip is to boot your mac in "Target Mode". You will be able to recover files from your mac with a Firewire connection.

Just hold the "T" button on your Mac and connect with a firewire cable your Mac to another machine using MacOS.

Same, for your hack, just boot in verbose mode and post your kernel panic.

Regards,

Josh.

Hope this is the Script.

/* Beginning 
#!/bin/sh
chown 0:0 /
chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/
kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions
*/ End

Ill giveit a try.

By the way if this help any one. I've modified "Brett's" DSDT for my CPU (T7250). Its Still on observation. At least I have kernel panics do to other stuff not cpu load.

Use at your own risk:

By the way if this help any one. I've modified "Brett's" DSDT for my CPU (T7250). Its Still on observation. At least I have kernel panics do to other stuff not cpu load.

Use at your own risk (rename):

Working._T7250_8600M_.DSDT.aml.zip

For Snow Leopard users, there's a fixed IOATAFamily compiled from Snow sources available in this thread from sigmaris which fixes the Secondary IDE channel disabled problem that laptop users have been encountering. Works great on my M1530 under snow. Haven't tested x64 as I don't see the point atm.

post-29729-1253210727_thumb.jpg

Works perfectly under 32 and 64 bit :(

Hope this is the Script.

Ill giveit a try.

Use at your own risk:

Use at your own risk (rename):

That is the right script to get permissions right.

Also with the LHS USB, I've found that if I run that script, then boot with a -f I seem to get the LHS USB back. However I need to kextlaod /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext manually...

I've attached a DSDT for you based on my current DSDT but has your _PSS tables and your main SSDT definition. Let me know how it goes. Just run it through iaslme or iasl whatever method you use and go from there. There should be zero errors and zero optimizations as I've cleaned it up. You will get speed step working but still no CST tables loaded :D

DSDT_T7250.dsl.zip

Cheers

Brett

Works perfectly under 32 and 64 bit :)

Also with the LHS USB, I've found that if I run that script, then boot with a -f I seem to get the LHS USB back. However I need to kextlaod /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext manually...

Hi Neonkoala,

Thanks for the tip, i've also seen the post from Superhai with this new kext.

So thank you guys, ATA is back! ;-)

Brett,

I'm getting the same issue as yours.

With the Brandon's DSDT, i've never got an issue with Usb but, with the Chrysaor's one (modified by yourself for our CPU) i can't get the left Usb Bus to work.

As i'm not familiar with DSDT in general, i will need to do some test to get the Usb back as before but if somebody could tell us what to do, it would be very helpful. I do not have much time these days to spend for this...

Just to be clear, i would like to thanks Chrysaor again for giving us the possibility to get vanilla speedstep on our hacks which is great (less mod kexts to be as vanilla as possible).

Last, same issue here for voodoohda. My Hd break yesterday for which Dell replaced by a new one.

So i decided to move totally from Leopard to SL using a vanilla DVD with the DellBoot cd from Superhai.

Now voodoohda do not loads itself and i need to kextload it at every boot but i can't find why...

Anyway, it's not a big problem.

Josh.

Dude change Chameleon version. Earlier on this post Brett posted a boot loader find the intalation instruccions "sudo ...".

Good for you i'm still struggling trying to tweak my DTST for my CPU. Got a bunch of errors. Fu :censored2: in' thousands of brackets.

Did you get KP with the dsdt that I attached? Its not processor specific. I have another file which you can try to use in conjunction with it to get native speedstep on snow leopard. i found it after hours of browsing...

managed to get speedstep going on snow with my T9500 cpu, and tidied up all the warnings in the DSDT also. DSDT attached, been mucking around with c-states but can't seem to get them working

i was thinking well for most of us M1530 users, the closest in configuation is the MacBookPro4,1 so maybe we could extract the CST tables from there and try them out, anyway ive attached both files maybe someone can help.

Hi timmyj,

Have you had any issues with your left USB ports? I used your DSDT and the ports showed up once and then they vanished after a restart. But they reappear after I do another restart... weird...

Thanks!

Hi Neonkoala,

Thanks for the tip, i've also seen the post from Superhai with this new kext.

So thank you guys, ATA is back! ;-)

Brett,

I'm getting the same issue as yours.

With the Brandon's DSDT, i've never got an issue with Usb but, with the Chrysaor's one (modified by yourself for our CPU) i can't get the left Usb Bus to work.

As i'm not familiar with DSDT in general, i will need to do some test to get the Usb back as before but if somebody could tell us what to do, it would be very helpful. I do not have much time these days to spend for this...

Just to be clear, i would like to thanks Chrysaor again for giving us the possibility to get vanilla speedstep on our hacks which is great (less mod kexts to be as vanilla as possible).

Last, same issue here for voodoohda. My Hd break yesterday for which Dell replaced by a new one.

So i decided to move totally from Leopard to SL using a vanilla DVD with the DellBoot cd from Superhai.

Now voodoohda do not loads itself and i need to kextload it at every boot but i can't find why...

Anyway, it's not a big problem.

Josh.

You've rebuilt the kext caches? I found that when I don't do this the VoodooHDA fails to load due to a dependency not being found. As I tend to sleep my laptop more often than I actually reboot it I'm not overly concerned about having to manually load VoodooHDA.kext. I was wondering if moving it to /S/L/E would help matters (not that I want to do this as I want all third party kexts under /Extra)...

As to the USB, it seems to be related to the HPET change rather than the USB (EHCI) changes in the DSDT. As I've backed out all the additional EHCI changes that were made and I still get the issue, but if I back out the HPET change and just use NullCPU it works everytime. I don't know why a flush of all caches makes a difference but if I boot with a -f I get the LHS USB working all the time. The other thing I noticed is when the LHS is not loaded the RHS reverts to USB 1 only, so no high speed. Obviously this is an issue in it's own right.

I think there is more to it than it first looks like, but haven't tracked it down yet.

Also after your rebuild make sure you remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext if you are using VoodooHDA.kext, I found there are some conflicts as AppleHDA will still try to load up.

Cheers

Brett

interesting brett,

yeah i didnt fix the LHS usb problem,

and i'm still working on c-states also

but the HPET things seems interesting perhaps some kind of an address clash with the usb controller?

but i suppose that wouldnt explain why it works intermittently

theres a debug iousbfamily kext for snow 10a432 available here

perhaps with some more debug output someone can work out the problem?

interesting brett,

yeah i didnt fix the LHS usb problem,

and i'm still working on c-states also

but the HPET things seems interesting perhaps some kind of an address clash with the usb controller?

but i suppose that wouldnt explain why it works intermittently

theres a debug iousbfamily kext for snow 10a432 available here

perhaps with some more debug output someone can work out the problem?

I'm going in circles with cstates. It is really beginning to annoy me. Pstates was easy. Cstates is getting there, the only error I have left is the LPC error:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I can see that if I drop the _CST entries I end up with:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

and then the LPC device error...

Anyway I will get back to it when I get some time.

Okay here goes...

Step 16.

When it finishes and is ready to restart, open a Terminal, this will suspend the restart. Once again we will need to follow the steps above, from Step 5 through to Step 10. This makes sure you main partition will work in the same manner as the installer.

Anyone???

Hate to sound like a noob but after I get SL installed successfully on my M1530 with the usb and "open a Terminal" before restart what are the exact procedures in bash? I try to cp and files are read only...i.e. I created a separate folder called "post" in / of usb with the new uuid smbios and PlatformUUID of the target install hdd and wanted to copy them over to the hdd / in bash but ng. Had to create the folder because not sure how to edit smbios and PlatformUUID UUIDs (steps 6 & 7) in bash being that vi and nano don't work....been working on this for too long trying to figure out and it is probably somethin stupid on how to get the boot files and /Extra over to the install HDD / so that I can boot correctly but I gotta ask....not getting enough sleep -_-

thanks

jed

Anyone???

Hate to sound like a noob but after I get SL installed successfully on my M1530 with the usb and "open a Terminal" before restart what are the exact procedures in bash? I try to cp and files are read only...i.e. I created a separate folder called "post" in / of usb with the new uuid smbios and PlatformUUID of the target install hdd and wanted to copy them over to the hdd / in bash but ng. Had to create the folder because not sure how to edit smbios and PlatformUUID UUIDs (steps 6 & 7) in bash being that vi and nano don't work....been working on this for too long trying to figure out and it is probably somethin stupid on how to get the boot files and /Extra over to the install HDD / so that I can boot correctly but I gotta ask....not getting enough sleep :(

thanks

jed

What I did is to boot from my old leopard os instead of terminal. Maybe Ubunto can help u do that. Just make sure to do the "-s" step to ensure permissions.

By the way I installed snow launching /Volumes/{device name install dvd}/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg from my old OSX. That way no rebooting and no USB boot config.

What I did is to boot from my old leopard os instead of terminal. Maybe Ubunto can help u do that. Just make sure to do the "-s" step to ensure permissions.

By the way I installed snow launching /Volumes/{device name install dvd}/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg from my old OSX. That way no rebooting and no USB boot config.

Hello All,

Here is a good program i use to create my own DellBoot iso, a superhai like with kext and dsdt for my XPS1530.

Just have a look.

It is made by a friend and is a perfect tool... Thanks to Trauma!

Use a translator. The doc is in French ;-)

http://darwinx86.org/applications/utilitai...169-bootcdmaker

Have Fun

Did you get KP with the dsdt that I attached? Its not processor specific. I have another file which you can try to use in conjunction with it to get native speedstep on snow leopard. i found it after hours of browsing...

Hi timmyj,

Have you had any issues with your left USB ports? I used your DSDT and the ports showed up once and then they vanished after a restart. But they reappear after I do another restart... weird...

Thanks!

Dude can you post the file " I have another file which you can try to use in conjunction with it to get native speedstep on snow leopard".

I would like to try.

Hey after u guys get snow leopard running good think you could post a tutorial on how to do the install for m1530?

There is already a post on this same thread. From Brett. Its the insatall guide. (still some tweaks missing)

For Snow Leopard users, there's a fixed IOATAFamily compiled from Snow sources available in this thread from sigmaris which fixes the Secondary IDE channel disabled problem that laptop users have been encountering. Works great on my M1530 under snow. Haven't tested x64 as I don't see the point atm.

post-29729-1253210727_thumb.jpg

Works like a charm. Thanks.

For Nvidia 8600M GT Users.

I have removed my DSDT.aml and use this kext. This kext has the NVCAP value edited for Dual Display. (Snow leopard)

Works perfectly under 32 and 64 bit :)

That is the right script to get permissions right.

I've attached a DSDT for you based on my current DSDT but has your _PSS tables and your main SSDT definition. Let me know how it goes. Just run it through iaslme or iasl whatever method you use and go from there. There should be zero errors and zero optimizations as I've cleaned it up. You will get speed step working but still no CST tables loaded :(

DSDT_T7250.dsl.zip

Cheers

Brett

Hey dude, thanks for spending some time for merging this. Currently I've have remove the DSDT and installed an NVject in compensation for the GFX card and edited the NVCAP for Dual Monitor (VGA output / 8600M GT) And it seems the USB ports work every time I boot. No usb or GFX kernel Panics but some random ones, think is CPU issue. Ill give this a try and post results. (hope thers no conflict with the NVject).

Cheers

NVinject.kext.zip

Works like a charm. Thanks.

For Nvidia 8600M GT Users.

I have removed my DSDT.aml and use this kext. This kext has the NVCAP value edited for Dual Display. (Snow leopard)

Hey dude, thanks for spending some time for merging this. Currently I've have remove the DSDT and installed an NVject in compensation for the GFX card and edited the NVCAP for Dual Monitor (VGA output / 8600M GT) And it seems the USB ports work every time I boot. No usb or GFX kernel Panics but some random ones, think is CPU issue. Ill give this a try and post results. (hope thers no conflict with the NVject).

Cheers

Have you removed the entire DSDT.aml file or just the injection method for the nVidia card from it? I did track down the USB issue to the new DSDT.aml by Chrysaor when he got vanilla speedstep working on his T8300... This has the same nVidia injection and settings from then older DSDT's.

Currently my SL install is rock solid. I'd like to get rid of the issues with VoodooHDA and also get USB working everytime without having to boot -f everytime. Of course I'd like to have the cstates loaded and working as well, but that will come with time.

When i get a bit of time I'll do a complete re-install to another partition and document the whole process, including the new IOATAFamily that enables the DVD drive and other little fixes and hints. But I don't expect to get anything until much later in the week.

Brett

Hi,

I am a complete noob, before hand i managed to get 10.5.7 working on my m1330 but switched to windows 7 to check it out. Now i want to go back to osx and try 10.6. My only problem is, is that I dont have an 8GB flash drive, is it possible to get SL working on DL DVD disc, using the boot-123 method?

Okay here goes...

I've gathered this from many many sources and must thank Josh (overshoot) for some major tips.

First thing, get a 8GB USB key or a spare HDD, this is important as we will be changing the boot method back to Chameleon 2 RC1, and will be forcing it to use the /Extra directory we are about to create.

Requirements:

- Snow Leopard disk, either the CD or a .dmg, doesn't really matter as long as it is the latest one 10A432.

- PC / Laptop / Mac running Mac OSX, any version.

- Customized /Extra directory (attached at the end).

- boot0 and boot1h files from Chameleon 2 RC1 (attached at the end).

- /boot from netkas - version 10.2 (attached at the end).

- Patience :thumbsup_anim:

Step 1.

Open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu

post-437386-1252235473_thumb.png

Step 2.

Format the USB Key as GUID and create a single partition on there, call it what ever you want, I called it OSX86.

post-437386-1252235343_thumb.png

post-437386-1252235355_thumb.png

Step 3.

Restore from your 10A432 image to your newly created key / disk. Make sure Erase Destination is unticked, although it shouldn't really matter as we'll do other steps later.

post-437386-1252235370_thumb.png

Step 4.

Right click on your new partition and click Information, then get the UUID and copy it for use in Step 6.

post-437386-1252236379_thumb.png

Step 5.

Extract and copy the Extra.zip attached to the key / disk and make sure it is called /Extra (we will sort out the permissions and the kext cache later).

post-437386-1252236492_thumb.png

Step 6.

Edit the /Extra/smbios.plist and change the SMUUID to your UUID you copied above. This is to ensure that the UUID will be the same as your boot disk.

Step 7.

Edit /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist and search for the UUID (I have put INSERT YOURS there to make it easier). Paste your UUID in there, this is the same as above.

Step 8.

Extract the bootloader.zip somewhere and copy the boot file to the root (i.e. /boot), same with permissions.

We have just installed netkas' 10.2 bootloader.

Step 9.

From the location of where the bootloader.zip was extracted run the following commands;

1. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX - where X is your disk (as can be found in the Information tab from Step 4.)

2. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY - where X is your disk and Y is the partition (as above from Step 4.)

We have just installed the Chameleon Boot loader 2 RC1

Step 10.

Almost done with building the key / disk. We need to remove a specific kext from /System/Library/Extensions, this will cause a Kernel Panic if it is there. The kext is /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext, remove the whole directory, we don't want it or need it.

Unfortunately this will mean that the DVD drive will not work. Some people say that you can put in an older 10.5 version of this and run in 32bit mode and it works, but I still get a Kernel Panic so don't worry about it and just run 64bit mode without the DVD.

Step 11.

Reboot with only this USB key / disk in. Hit F12 to boot from another source and select USB.

Step 12.

When the bootloader comes up make sure you do a '-s' to boot single user, we are going to sort out the permissions now.

When you get to the # prompt type in; mount -uw / to mount it read / write.

Step 13.

Changed the permissions and recreate the kext caches with the following:

chown -R 0:0 /Extra /boot

chmod -R 755 /Extra /boot

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

The above is all one line by the way!

Step 14.

Reboot, make sure you do the F12 option again. You should now boot into the Installer.

Step 15.

Run through the installer as normal, make sure you have a nice partition to install to (GUID of course). Make sure you do a custom install and make sure that the Printers and Languages are unticked. You can install Rosetta and also Quicktime 7 if you need them. Of course if your main language isn't English choose the correct one for you!

Step 16.

When it finishes and is ready to restart, open a Terminal, this will suspend the restart. Once again we will need to follow the steps above, from Step 5 through to Step 10. This makes sure you main partition will work in the same manner as the installer.

Step 17.

Once finished this step close down the installer and you can then happily reboot into the new Video for OSX 10.6!

Modify as you need to, I do recommend that you use a modified DSDT for your CPU which will enable native Speed Step and Sleep, you will need to remove the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and rebuild the /Extra/Extensions.mkext, I've attached a DSDT for the T9300 below that will work, if you have a different CPU you need to extract the PSS tables from it via acpidump or Everest and insert those.

Enjoy.

If anyone wants to move this elsewhere feel free, we should start a M1530 Snow Leopard thread anyways...

Cheers

Brett

bootloader.zip

Extra.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

Will give it a go when I get a chance. Am running a customized 10.2 at the moment. I do have a copy of 10.1 around here so that will be easy. I know that Chameleon 2 RC2 boot didn't make a difference, although it still booted.

Cheers

Brett

I'm having a slight problem when I'm trying to do my install - my hard drive isn't appearing in the list in disk utility or the target options! Undoubtedly I've done something very n00bish, idiotic, and stupid, but any pointers would be really appreciated.

I'm running a pretty stock M1530, except with an 80gb drive instead of the 250 (too much data on the other drive!)

Thanks in advance, guys.

I'm having a slight problem when I'm trying to do my install - my hard drive isn't appearing in the list in disk utility or the target options! Undoubtedly I've done something very n00bish, idiotic, and stupid, but any pointers would be really appreciated.

I'm running a pretty stock M1530, except with an 80gb drive instead of the 250 (too much data on the other drive!)

Thanks in advance, guys.

How is the HDD partitioned? MBR or GPT? If it is MBR then that is the problem. And I don't know the workaround as I have mine done in GPT :thumbsup_anim:

How is the HDD partitioned? MBR or GPT? If it is MBR then that is the problem. And I don't know the workaround as I have mine done in GPT :(

Had a bit of a play with it just now, and it turns out that I had the hard drive in ATA mode not in AHCI. SL is now quite happily installing away.

Thanks for the awesome guide buddy! Very much appreciated!! :)