[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

managed to get speedstep going on snow with my T9500 cpu, and tidied up all the warnings in the DSDT also. DSDT attached, been mucking around with c-states but can't seem to get them working

i was thinking well for most of us M1530 users, the closest in configuation is the MacBookPro4,1 so maybe we could extract the CST tables from there and try them out, anyway ive attached both files maybe someone can help.

DSDT_T9500.aml.zip

MBP4_1.zip

managed to get speedstep going on snow with my T9500 cpu, and tidied up all the warnings in the DSDT also. DSDT attached, been mucking around with c-states but can't seem to get them working

i was thinking well for most of us M1530 users, the closest in configuation is the MacBookPro4,1 so maybe we could extract the CST tables from there and try them out, anyway ive attached both files maybe someone can help.

Hey after u guys get snow leopard running good think you could post a tutorial on how to do the install for m1530?

The dumps you have there from the MBP4,1 have no _CST tables, which is a shame, and yes I was thinking the same, the MBP4,1 would be the closest to what we have with the 1530...

I've worked on about 3 different settings for the _CST's and I haven't been able to get rid of the C-state errors from LPC either.

Thanks for the DSDT it is nice to see one with no warnings. I'll run through it when I get some time and see what differences there are, I can see the differences with your _PSS tables though :P

On a tangent, what BIOS rev are you running on your 1530?

What errors do you see with VoodooHDA.kext?

Cheers,

Brett

What's about Snow Leopard?

Please make a guide.

Okay here goes...

I've gathered this from many many sources and must thank Josh (overshoot) for some major tips.

First thing, get a 8GB USB key or a spare HDD, this is important as we will be changing the boot method back to Chameleon 2 RC1, and will be forcing it to use the /Extra directory we are about to create.

Requirements:

- Snow Leopard disk, either the CD or a .dmg, doesn't really matter as long as it is the latest one 10A432.

- PC / Laptop / Mac running Mac OSX, any version.

- Customized /Extra directory (attached at the end).

- boot0 and boot1h files from Chameleon 2 RC1 (attached at the end).

- /boot from netkas - version 10.2 (attached at the end).

- Patience :rolleyes:

Step 1.

Open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu

post-437386-1252235473_thumb.png

Step 2.

Format the USB Key as GUID and create a single partition on there, call it what ever you want, I called it OSX86.

post-437386-1252235343_thumb.png

post-437386-1252235355_thumb.png

Step 3.

Restore from your 10A432 image to your newly created key / disk. Make sure Erase Destination is unticked, although it shouldn't really matter as we'll do other steps later.

post-437386-1252235370_thumb.png

Step 4.

Right click on your new partition and click Information, then get the UUID and copy it for use in Step 6.

post-437386-1252236379_thumb.png

Step 5.

Extract and copy the Extra.zip attached to the key / disk and make sure it is called /Extra (we will sort out the permissions and the kext cache later).

post-437386-1252236492_thumb.png

Step 6.

Edit the /Extra/smbios.plist and change the SMUUID to your UUID you copied above. This is to ensure that the UUID will be the same as your boot disk.

Step 7.

Edit /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist and search for the UUID (I have put INSERT YOURS there to make it easier). Paste your UUID in there, this is the same as above.

Step 8.

Extract the bootloader.zip somewhere and copy the boot file to the root (i.e. /boot), same with permissions.

We have just installed netkas' 10.2 bootloader.

Step 9.

From the location of where the bootloader.zip was extracted run the following commands;

1. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX - where X is your disk (as can be found in the Information tab from Step 4.)

2. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY - where X is your disk and Y is the partition (as above from Step 4.)

We have just installed the Chameleon Boot loader 2 RC1

Step 10.

Almost done with building the key / disk. We need to remove a specific kext from /System/Library/Extensions, this will cause a Kernel Panic if it is there. The kext is /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext, remove the whole directory, we don't want it or need it.

Unfortunately this will mean that the DVD drive will not work. Some people say that you can put in an older 10.5 version of this and run in 32bit mode and it works, but I still get a Kernel Panic so don't worry about it and just run 64bit mode without the DVD.

Step 11.

Reboot with only this USB key / disk in. Hit F12 to boot from another source and select USB.

Step 12.

When the bootloader comes up make sure you do a '-s' to boot single user, we are going to sort out the permissions now.

When you get to the # prompt type in; mount -uw / to mount it read / write.

Step 13.

Changed the permissions and recreate the kext caches with the following:

chown -R 0:0 /Extra /boot

chmod -R 755 /Extra /boot

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

The above is all one line by the way!

Step 14.

Reboot, make sure you do the F12 option again. You should now boot into the Installer.

Step 15.

Run through the installer as normal, make sure you have a nice partition to install to (GUID of course). Make sure you do a custom install and make sure that the Printers and Languages are unticked. You can install Rosetta and also Quicktime 7 if you need them. Of course if your main language isn't English choose the correct one for you!

Step 16.

When it finishes and is ready to restart, open a Terminal, this will suspend the restart. Once again we will need to follow the steps above, from Step 5 through to Step 10. This makes sure you main partition will work in the same manner as the installer.

Step 17.

Once finished this step close down the installer and you can then happily reboot into the new Video for OSX 10.6!

Modify as you need to, I do recommend that you use a modified DSDT for your CPU which will enable native Speed Step and Sleep, you will need to remove the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and rebuild the /Extra/Extensions.mkext, I've attached a DSDT for the T9300 below that will work, if you have a different CPU you need to extract the PSS tables from it via acpidump or Everest and insert those.

Enjoy.

If anyone wants to move this elsewhere feel free, we should start a M1530 Snow Leopard thread anyways...

Cheers

Brett

bootloader.zip

Extra.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

If you are using PC_EFI 10.2 try using 9, 10 or 10.1

Will give it a go when I get a chance. Am running a customized 10.2 at the moment. I do have a copy of 10.1 around here so that will be easy. I know that Chameleon 2 RC2 boot didn't make a difference, although it still booted.

Cheers

Brett

DSDT for M1330

I've been working on making a DSDT similar to Chrysaor's for the M1330 (and using Chrysaor's for reference, thank you Chrysaor). It is only for the T8300 CPU. So far it has the following:

Vanilla speed stepping (T8300 only! Will need modification for other CPUs). No need for VoodooPower.kext or VoodooUSBUHCI.kext. Remove them!

NVidia injection with HDMI, VGA, and working mirror

Clam shell

Sleep works with no SleepEnabler.kext on 10.5.8 (Remove it if you have it or you will get kernel panics!)

Time machine works

I have not done the audio injection or cosmetic fixes that Chrysaor has done on his.

Usage is the same as Chrysaor's. You need to set up smbios.plist the same way.

Chrysaor, I applied the USB sleep fix to fix the safe removal issue, but for me it just does not work... My EHCI and EHC2 sections are identical to yours. It seems the USB sections are identical between the M1330 and M1530 before patching. Was there anywhere else that needed to be patched to make this work?

Not tested on Snow Leopard!

EDIT

Just to make it perfectly clear, this DSDT.aml as it is should only be used on an M1330 with T8300 CPU! It is specific to this CPU, and contains voltage/frequency combinations for the speed steps! It really does need to be edited to work with another CPU.

DSDT_M1330_T8300.zip

SNOW LEOPARD GUIDE

heys guys I know this is the m1330 thread, but I have an HP dv2817ca with similar hardware

Core2Duo T5550, 2gb ram, 8400GS

first guide that kinda worked

but cant boot in -s i get this if someone could decipher this i would appreciate it!

2mx0qqw.jpg

and with -v -s -x32

20e42.jpg

Chrysaor, I applied the USB sleep fix to fix the safe removal issue, but for me it just does not work... My EHCI and EHC2 sections are identical to yours. It seems the USB sections are identical between the M1330 and M1530 before patching. Was there anywhere else that needed to be patched to make this work?

Those should be the only sections I patched.

Here is the original thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1240686

We need a new AppleHDA for SL.

Sigmatel 9228 AppleHDA thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1255256

heys guys I know this is the m1330 thread, but I have an HP dv2817ca with similar hardware

Core2Duo T5550, 2gb ram, 8400GS

first guide that kinda worked

but cant boot in -s i get this if someone could decipher this i would appreciate it!

and with -v -s -x32

What DSDT are you using? The one I included will probably not work for a HP as it is Dell specific... I think that is where your problem will be.

I don't suppose anyone here has got a Broadcom 440x to work in Snow? I've spent the best part of a day trying with no luck. Audio works with Voodoo but ethernet is the problem.

I'm also stumped as to why after following the guide here, my install seems to have defaulted to 64 Bit. I have to boot with -x32. Other than that it's perfect.

Step 17.

Once finished this step close down the installer and you can then happily reboot into the new Video for OSX 10.6!

Modify as you need to, I do recommend that you use a modified DSDT for your CPU which will enable native Speed Step and Sleep, you will need to remove the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and rebuild the /Extra/Extensions.mkext, I've attached a DSDT for the T9300 below that will work, if you have a different CPU you need to extract the PSS tables from it via acpidump or Everest and insert those.

Hi there,

First off, thanks for the guide.

I removed GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext VoodooPower.kext and VoodooUSBEHCI.kext

I have a 9cell Battery, on a full charge, after removing GenericCPUPowerManagement, I get about 1hr 50min from the battery... I believe it should be in the 3 hour range?? Is there a way to figure out if the SpeedStep built into the modified DSDT.aml you attached is working for me? I think there is a terminal command but I can not remember it... or find it after googling.

Thank you!

Hi there,

First off, thanks for the guide.

I removed GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext VoodooPower.kext and VoodooUSBEHCI.kext

I have a 9cell Battery, on a full charge, after removing GenericCPUPowerManagement, I get about 1hr 50min from the battery... I believe it should be in the 3 hour range?? Is there a way to figure out if the SpeedStep built into the modified DSDT.aml you attached is working for me? I think there is a terminal command but I can not remember it... or find it after googling.

Thank you!

The one I am using is a bit different from that one posted earlier. The one I'm using now is still a work in progress as I am still not getting C-states enabled. If I run CoolBook I can see the processor stepping, but other than that I don't know how to check, I used CPU-X and MSR tools under Leopard but they don't work under Snow Leopard...

I get over an hour on my 6-cell battery that is on the way out according to the BIOS ;)

Brett

The one I am using is a bit different from that one posted earlier. The one I'm using now is still a work in progress as I am still not getting C-states enabled. If I run CoolBook I can see the processor stepping, but other than that I don't know how to check, I used CPU-X and MSR tools under Leopard but they don't work under Snow Leopard...

I get over an hour on my 6-cell battery that is on the way out according to the BIOS :(

Brett

Thanks for the reply! I figured out that I will get longer file if I turn down the display. Coolbook helps as well...

I followed the guide to install and I keep on getting this kernel panic... in -x32 -legacy or any other variation. Any suggestions? I have tried using your dsdt.aml, the one that i had originally, new chameleon boot file.

The extra kext used:

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

Disabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

PlatformUUID.kext (when inserted info)

KernelPANIC ScreenShot

Thanks for the reply! I figured out that I will get longer file if I turn down the display. Coolbook helps as well...

I followed the guide to install and I keep on getting this kernel panic... in -x32 -legacy or any other variation. Any suggestions? I have tried using your dsdt.aml, the one that i had originally, new chameleon boot file.

The extra kext used:

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

Disabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

PlatformUUID.kext (when inserted info)

KernelPANIC ScreenShot

I have made progress! So, it looks like I had added AppleDecrypt.kext (x64 version) and it was interfering. I booted, did the setup and had the desktop under another KP, I'm guessing this one is the CSMOS reset thing. Does ur attached DSDT have the CSMOS reset fix?

Thankx Brett!

I have made progress! So, it looks like I had added AppleDecrypt.kext (x64 version) and it was interfering. I booted, did the setup and had the desktop under another KP, I'm guessing this one is the CSMOS reset thing. Does ur attached DSDT have the CSMOS reset fix?

Thankx Brett!

Nope, I've never needed it.

I can confirm that I do have SpeedStep working natively too, just not the C-states yet, they are still a work in progress.

This is a list of what is in my /Extra/Extensions/

post-437386-1252542398_thumb.png

Also I don't have the IOATAFamily or AppleHDA kexts under /S/L/E.

Other than that I am using my DSDT.aml and smbios.plist and nothing else. Can run either 32bit or 64bit without a problem haven't had a KP for a very long time now. Sleep works fine, I do have to unload and reload VoodooHDA though, but that is a known bug...

Oh and now running Chameleon 2 RC3 completely, including the /boot from it. com.apple.Boot.plist has the following:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

Using a circa 2008 Dell M1530, T9300, 320GBHDD, 4GB DDR2, Bios A12, 1680x1050 screen, nVidia 8600M GT 256Mb.

Cheers

Brett

Not sure what I am doing wrong - I had everything working fine at LEO 10.5.7 - when I upgraded to 10.5.8 lost SLEEP and AUDIO. I just now had a chance to install your upgraded DSDT (i travel a lot), but I still cant seem to get sound or sleep working.

My system is almost identical to yours xcpt I dont have LED, snow leopard or windows 7. I do have a dual boot system (using Cham 2.0) with 10.5.8 and vista.

Please help - I think I am simply overlooking something...

Not sure what I am doing wrong - I had everything working fine at LEO 10.5.7 - when I upgraded to 10.5.8 lost SLEEP and AUDIO. I just now had a chance to install your upgraded DSDT (i travel a lot), but I still cant seem to get sound or sleep working.

My system is almost identical to yours xcpt I dont have LED, snow leopard or windows 7. I do have a dual boot system (using Cham 2.0) with 10.5.8 and vista.

Please help - I think I am simply overlooking something...

I used to have 10.5.7 and Vista. I still have my 10.5.7 image on an external USB, I'll grab a list of kexts I used in that for audio (had the modified AppleHDA from memory).

With sleep, you need to make sure that all Voodoo changes are removed, there was one in EHCI I think (I'll grab the kext details later). I never actually ran onto 10.5.8, as I was stable on 10.5.7 and started playing with Snow when I was ready to move rather than just updating, specially with all the reported issues of no sleep, that was a big one for me. But I think with the new DSDT sleep should be a reality in 10.5.8 as it is now in 10.6.

Hi Guys,

If you lost sleep after upgrading, you just need the sleepenabler kext for leopard.

Just browse the insanelymac forum to find it.

As for sound, i did not lost it. I don't know if the upgrade from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 brings a new AppleHDA so maybe the dsdt solve some issues with it.

Anyway, if i didn't lost it you should check you have the one Talisman pointed out.

Last, does someone successed in having deepsleep and shutdown/restart under Snow Leopard?

As 10.6.1 is out today, i will totally move my 10.5.8 install to SL 10.6.1. What a mess!

Have fun guys.

Josh.