[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Thanks for the clarification Chrysaor. I assumed that the biometric sensor was off the USB hub, just didn't know which one.

A question on the _PSS states you calculated. I can see that the T8300 is a 12x FID which corresponds to the second _PSS entry 0xC, although I see you have a 0xD which should respond to a 13x for the FID in the first entry that is 2401MHz at a voltage of 0x28 or 1.150mV

Question, I have a T9300 which goes to a 12.5x (12.5 x 200MHz for 2.5GHz) I've not been able to figure out for the life of me how to calculate a 1/2 FID.

Thanks again,

Brett

brett

im not sure if mines working

but i got my p-states from just booting up a live cd and collecting the ssdt table dumps and taking the pss values from there, but perhaps instead of havng the calculate everything u can just grab them off linux using acpi dump or everest on windows

brett

im not sure if mines working

but i got my p-states from just booting up a live cd and collecting the ssdt table dumps and taking the pss values from there, but perhaps instead of havng the calculate everything u can just grab them off linux using acpi dump or everest on windows

Might try that. Was trying to avoid rebooting into a live linux cd.

Also grab MSR Tools, that will show you if the speed step is working. I'm using the DSDT with settings for the T8300 and speed step is working perfectly with the T9300, the CSTATES are the same between both CPU's it seems.

Did you just modify the _PSS tables in the DSDT just provided? And what tool did you use to recompile the .aml? IASL ME?

Thanks,

Brett

Alright got the power states in for the T9300. MSR Tools shows speed step working correctly. No Disabler kext and no VoodooPower kext either.

Please post your DSDT, Ill have a look at the USB as I can see some free time this weekend...

also specify any mods you have made to Chysaor's one...

Please post your DSDT, Ill have a look at the USB as I can see some free time this weekend...

also specify any mods you have made to Chysaor's one...

Attached...

Differences are in the _PSS (Power States) between his and mine. His is based on the T8300 and mine is based on the T9300.

Thanks heaps for having a look. I need to go through the differences of the older one and his new one to see what was changed besides the HPET info.

DSDT.aml.zip

Attached...

Differences are in the _PSS (Power States) between his and mine. His is based on the T8300 and mine is based on the T9300.

Thanks heaps for having a look. I need to go through the differences of the older one and his new one to see what was changed besides the HPET info.

Hello Guys,

Same problem here.

I did not experienced any left usb bus problems with the dsdt file from Brandon (i think that it's the one you're using Talisman).

Now, with the one from Brett, (which is the chris one with T9300 support, same cpu as me) my left Usb bus is not recognised, so does the the fingerprint reader.

The same happened with the Chris one (no speedstep) but, with this one, i was using a disabler kext.

So Thanks to you guys, no more disabler or voodoopower kext but just need the left usb bus back... lol ;-)

Thanks again.

Last thing i wanted to say is that Snow Leopard works great in 64 bits mode on our XPS1530 for now.

The only difference i can tell is that i'm using VoodooHda instead of a modified AppleHDA and the system is faster and stable enough.

I will move to it this weekend, just need to do some tests to migrate all my stuffs from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

Will report back here.

Josh.

PS: do you guys have deepsleep working on Leopard or SL?

USB works fine with your DSDT

Make sure you have done these:

1. Removed IntelCPUPMDisabler / Disabler from both /S/L/E and /E/E folders

2. Removed VoodooPower and VoodooUSBEHCI and unedited the AppleUSBEHCI Info.plist

3. Rebuilt all kextcache (rm them and boot with -f a couple of times)

My USB did not work on first boot with the new DSDT with VoodooPower still loaded

It worked after I removed VoodooPower and rebuilt caches and rebooted

What does not work is speedstepping. The processor is stuck at the lowest state. It might be because I am still using the SMBiosResolver and not the SMBios.plist. But I don't see why that should hurt.

I wish I could look deeper into this right now.... but later.... thanks for the good work... hats off to Chrysaor...

Hello Guys,

Same problem here.

I did not experienced any left usb bus problems with the dsdt file from Brandon (i think that it's the one you're using Talisman).

Now, with the one from Brett, (which is the chris one with T9300 support, same cpu as me) my left Usb bus is not recognised, so does the the fingerprint reader.

The same happened with the Chris one (no speedstep) but, with this one, i was using a disabler kext.

So Thanks to you guys, no more disabler or voodoopower kext but just need the left usb bus back... lol ;-)

Thanks again.

Last thing i wanted to say is that Snow Leopard works great in 64 bits mode on our XPS1530 for now.

The only difference i can tell is that i'm using VoodooHda instead of a modified AppleHDA and the system is faster and stable enough.

I will move to it this weekend, just need to do some tests to migrate all my stuffs from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

Will report back here.

Josh.

PS: do you guys have deepsleep working on Leopard or SL?

Hey Josh, what steps did you do to get SL working? I'm having all sorts of issues, can only get it to boot single user in 32 bit at the moment. I've been concentrating on getting this DSDT working before spending more time on it to be honest.

Thanks!

USB works fine with your DSDT

Make sure you have done these:

1. Removed IntelCPUPMDisabler / Disabler from both /S/L/E and /E/E folders

2. Removed VoodooPower and VoodooUSBEHCI and unedited the AppleUSBEHCI Info.plist

3. Rebuilt all kextcache (rm them and boot with -f a couple of times)

My USB did not work on first boot with the new DSDT with VoodooPower still loaded

It worked after I removed VoodooPower and rebuilt caches and rebooted

What does not work is speedstepping. The processor is stuck at the lowest state. It might be because I am still using the SMBiosResolver and not the SMBios.plist. But I don't see why that should hurt.

I wish I could look deeper into this right now.... but later.... thanks for the good work... hats off to Chrysaor...

Brilliant!

All works now.

So to summarise I removed /S/L/E/VoodooUSBEHCI.kext, edited /S/L/E/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/Info.plist and commented out the following lines (you can remove).

<!-- <key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key> -->

<!-- <string>1.0</string> -->

Removed /S/L/Extensions.mkext

Rebooted with -f, it failed to come up to a login window, just a blue screen, so perhaps I was being impatient...

Rebooted with -s, forced an fsck on the primary partition, exited to login when finished, USB and biometric not working...

Rebooted again, just normally, LHS and RHS USB working, Biometric working, sleep working. And to top it all off, no errors about USB devices being removed if I sleep and re-enable with USB drives attached!

Woot!

Great work both Chrysaor and Talisman for the current work. Now if I could only use a lower VID for some power savings :D

As a side note I noticed in your sig block that you are running the Yukon card natively? What changes did you do to get the ID right for OSX?

Hey Josh, what steps did you do to get SL working? I'm having all sorts of issues, can only get it to boot single user in 32 bit at the moment. I've been concentrating on getting this DSDT working before spending more time on it to be honest.

Thanks!

Hey Brett,

So here is the guide i followed to get SL working on our XPS 1530 (taken from the irc channel #snowleopard) :

http://is.gd/2EdYE

Now for our XPS 1530, here are the kext i used :

- AppleACPIBatteryManager (64 bits modified version)

- AppleACPIPS2Nub (compiled for 64 bits mode)

- ApplePS2Controller (compiled for 64 bits mode)

- fakesmc (last from netkas forum)

- VoodooHDA 0.2.2 ( compiled for 64 bits mode)

I also used the DSDT.aml from chrysaor, chameleon 2 rc1, pcefi 10.2

Last, here is a script a create in / to launch everytime i need to add or remove kext and then rebuild kextcache :

/* Beginning

#!/bin/sh

chown 0:0 /

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

*/ End

I think that's it.

Just try on a new partition and report back if you have problems.

I've attached my /Extra/Extensions folder.

Last thing is that my left usb bus is working under SnowLeopard. I need to retry to build the kextcache under Leopard as you said it was working again.

Good luck!

Josh.

Extensions.zip

As a side note I noticed in your sig block that you are running the Yukon card natively? What changes did you do to get the ID right for OSX?

You have to do two things.

Edit the the Info.plist to contain the values for 88E8040. Else you can use the plist I am attaching. Replace the Info.plist in /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.Kext/C/P/AppleYukon2.kext

secondly, you will have to inset your ethernet mac id in the appleyukon2 binary. This is how: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1099839

The mac id is in a slightly different place in 10.5.8

About the DSDT: Do you have speedstep working? Can you post your SMBIOS.plist (if you are not using the SMBiosResolver)

MYInfo.plist.zip

Hey Brett,

So here is the guide i followed to get SL working on our XPS 1530 (taken from the irc channel #snowleopard) :

http://is.gd/2EdYE

Now for our XPS 1530, here are the kext i used :

- AppleACPIBatteryManager (64 bits modified version)

- AppleACPIPS2Nub (compiled for 64 bits mode)

- ApplePS2Controller (compiled for 64 bits mode)

- fakesmc (last from netkas forum)

- VoodooHDA 0.2.2 ( compiled for 64 bits mode)

I also used the DSDT.aml from chrysaor, chameleon 2 rc1, pcefi 10.2

Last, here is a script a create in / to launch everytime i need to add or remove kext and then rebuild kextcache :

/* Beginning

#!/bin/sh

chown 0:0 /

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

*/ End

I think that's it.

Just try on a new partition and report back if you have problems.

I've attached my /Extra/Extensions folder.

Last thing is that my left usb bus is working under SnowLeopard. I need to retry to build the kextcache under Leopard as you said it was working again.

Good luck!

Josh.

Thanks! I'll give that a go a bit later on today and see how I travel. Should be fun :D

You have to do two things.

Edit the the Info.plist to contain the values for 88E8040. Else you can use the plist I am attaching. Replace the Info.plist in /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.Kext/C/P/AppleYukon2.kext

secondly, you will have to inset your ethernet mac id in the appleyukon2 binary. This is how: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1099839

The mac id is in a slightly different place in 10.5.8

About the DSDT: Do you have speedstep working? Can you post your SMBIOS.plist (if you are not using the SMBiosResolver)

Ahh got ya, I thought you meant without any additional settings for the yukon2. I already have it working with the modified Info.plist and the mac ID hard coded.

Yes MSR Tools reports Speedstep as working, both cores will sit on 800MHz and cycle up and down as I do something, voltage varies from 1.004mV to 1.3mV (a bit higher than I'd like but hey).

I am using a smbios.plist under /E/E, attached.

smbios.plist.zip

Interesting note...

If you boot without anything in the LHS USB's then they don't seem to work, same with the biometric. I'm going to reboot a couple more sometimes to confirm this though. Very weird!

Just creating a boot USB for SL now based on the instructions passed on by Josh.

If you boot without anything in the LHS USB's then they don't seem to work, same with the biometric. I'm going to reboot a couple more sometimes to confirm this though. Very weird!

I don't have this problem. I get a consistent USB which works on every boot. I am using your DSDT.

However i have had another problem ever since I upgraded to 10.5.8... need ideas

1. The VoodooBattery icon cannot calculate time when running on battery, just says "not charging". Can calculate % left.

2. The Energy Save preference pane does not have any battery tab. Has just one tab regardless of whether I am running on ac or battery.

Anyone faced that before..??

Lastly, where did you get the pstates from, a linux dump or intel's manuals..?? That might be why you have an overvolt....

I don't have this problem. I get a consistent USB which works on every boot. I am using your DSDT.

However i have had another problem ever since I upgraded to 10.5.8... need ideas

1. The VoodooBattery icon cannot calculate time when running on battery, just says "not charging". Can calculate % left.

2. The Energy Save preference pane does not have any battery tab. Has just one tab regardless of whether I am running on ac or battery.

Anyone faced that before..??

Lastly, where did you get the pstates from, a linux dump or intel's manuals..?? That might be why you have an overvolt....

I got the Pstates from acpidump in Linux, couldn't find the info in the Intel manuals.

For the life of me I cannot get the USB / biometric working consistently, it is starting to annoy me to no end :D The joys, the major difference is I am using 10.5.7. What version of Chameleon are you using and which boot file?

The only time I saw the issues with only one power source was when I was using an SMBIOS from a Mac / MacPro rather than a MacBook...

Well it is an interesting one that one. Seems that when I move from booting / installing 10.6 back to 10.5.7 it would have issues. Really strange. I'll test the DSDT with 10.6 when I move my current install to the HDD rather than the external it is on.

Josh, champion! Have installed 10.6 and have it running, did you need to remove IOATAFamily at all? I have just for safeties sake at the moment. Am also running the older DSDT so need the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. No sleep at the moment, but hoping that the new DSDT will help with that.

So far so good :(

Well it is an interesting one that one. Seems that when I move from booting / installing 10.6 back to 10.5.7 it would have issues. Really strange. I'll test the DSDT with 10.6 when I move my current install to the HDD rather than the external it is on.

Josh, champion! Have installed 10.6 and have it running, did you need to remove IOATAFamily at all? I have just for safeties sake at the moment. Am also running the older DSDT so need the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. No sleep at the moment, but hoping that the new DSDT will help with that.

So far so good :)

Ahah!!! i was sure i would have forgot something... lol

So yes, IOATAFamily gives me KP at every boot, so i simply removed it. Then no Dvd drive... but as i don't use it often it's not a problem for now. I hope a next update (10.6.1 or a netkas kext) will solve this problem.

Thanks to your dsdt (Thanks also to Chrysaor!!!) , i do not need anymore the "Sleepenabler" kext and the "NullCPU..." kext as the "IntelCPUPower..." kext is launching, so that's a very good step forward!

So that means your dsdt (configured for T9300) let me have sleep and speedstep (under Leo and SL)

If you're not using your dsdt and need sleep under SL, just use the "sleepenabler" kext for SL, check this site : http://is.gd/2Al18

For speedstep, i'm not sure it's working as under Leopard, MsrTools always show 1,20Ghz even if i load my system with many apps...

Under SL, msrtools is not working but my hack seems to be hot so i don't think it's working correctly...

We probably need to improve the cpu support in our dsdt file.

Last, i'm still not able to use my left usb bus under Leopard but i am under SL... weird :wacko:

Thanks to you guys who contribute to improve the support of our Dell under MacOsX!!!

Josh.

Ahah!!! i was sure i would have forgot something... lol

So yes, IOATAFamily gives me KP at every boot, so i simply removed it. Then no Dvd drive... but as i don't use it often it's not a problem for now. I hope a next update (10.6.1 or a netkas kext) will solve this problem.

Thanks to your dsdt (Thanks also to Chrysaor!!!) , i do not need anymore the "Sleepenabler" kext and the "NullCPU..." kext as the "IntelCPUPower..." kext is launching, so that's a very good step forward!

So that means your dsdt (configured for T9300) let me have sleep and speedstep (under Leo and SL)

If you're not using your dsdt and need sleep under SL, just use the "sleepenabler" kext for SL, check this site : http://is.gd/2Al18

For speedstep, i'm not sure it's working as under Leopard, MsrTools always show 1,20Ghz even if i load my system with many apps...

Under SL, msrtools is not working but my hack seems to be hot so i don't think it's working correctly...

We probably need to improve the cpu support in our dsdt file.

Last, i'm still not able to use my left usb bus under Leopard but i am under SL... weird :)

Thanks to you guys who contribute to improve the support of our Dell under MacOsX!!!

Josh.

If you're content with x32 kernel/kexts (which tbh there is no real need for x64 as the x32 kernel can already address 4GB+ of RAM and load x64 apps) then you can use IOATAFamily.kext from Leo to enable the DVD drive again.

Make sure you have removed VoodooPower if you ever had it or any speedsteping kext. For the USB make sure you removed BOTH the VoodooUSBEHCI and the edit that you make to AppleUSBEHCI, flush at boot a couple of time, delete Extensions.mkext another couple of times and reboot multiple times and you should be file..... this is all for Leopard..

Anyone knows how to take care of this:

picture1fwr.png

By Talisman at 2009-09-02

I moved from SMBiosResolver to smbios.plist. Now it shows a mixture of the two. MBP5.1 is from the plist and the rom version is from the resolver. It also does not show the manufacter info for the memory or changes the serial number when I edit the plist

plist permission is -rw-r--r--

have Cameleon rc2 and pc_efi v10.1

also for some reason the smbios is not recognizing my machine as a laptop since it does not have a batter pane in the energy saver settings

Is there a way I can clear what has been injected by the resolver...??

Make sure you have removed VoodooPower if you ever had it or any speedsteping kext. For the USB make sure you removed BOTH the VoodooUSBEHCI and the edit that you make to AppleUSBEHCI, flush at boot a couple of time, delete Extensions.mkext another couple of times and reboot multiple times and you should be file..... this is all for Leopard..

Anyone knows how to take care of this:

picture1fwr.png

By Talisman at 2009-09-02

I moved from SMBiosResolver to smbios.plist. Now it shows a mixture of the two. MBP5.1 is from the plist and the rom version is from the resolver. It also does not show the manufacter info for the memory or changes the serial number when I edit the plist

plist permission is -rw-r--r--

have Cameleon rc2 and pc_efi v10.1

also for some reason the smbios is not recognizing my machine as a laptop since it does not have a batter pane in the energy saver settings

Is there a way I can clear what has been injected by the resolver...??

For 10.5.7 I just removed SMBIOSResolver completely and ran the smbios.plist. I am doing the same under SL and it reports:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0074.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.13f3

Serial Number (system): VMSERIAL

Hardware UUID: 228979F8-D21B-3499-8F61-8258081D52CA

I would like it to pick up that I have a T9300, but that is next on the list.

Interestingly enough the built-in Ethernet works under SL, it just has the wrong MAC address, so I guess I'll be searching to see where that one is hardcoded...

Well I can see where it is hardcoded in the AppleYukon2 file (/S/L/E/IONetworkFamily.kext/Content/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/MacOS/)

Ammended it with HEX editor as per the old way and still brings up the 00:11:22:33:44:55 mac address... *sigh*

back to the drawing board I guess...

post-437386-1251924592_thumb.png

Maybe we should look at starting a SL for M1530 thread :unsure:

Just migrated to Chameleon 2 RC2 fully as the boot loader. Even though I told the installer not to install any extra kexts it still did and screwed up my boot, luckily I had a full backup of /Extra. So it looks like this now:

post-437386-1251948253_thumb.png

As you can see I have two DSDT.aml files, the DSDT.aml.work is the older one that has no HPET or CPU info, this was used for the installation (and needs NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to run it), the DSDT.aml contains the T9300 PSTATES and also the HPET so vanilla sleep, speedstep etc work.

post-437386-1251948280_thumb.png

These are the kexts I'm using the only interesting one is the PlatformUUID, I don't think I really need it but it ensures my UUID matches my MAC address of my builtin Yukon card (until I can figure out how to get it to use the real MAC address instead of 00:11:22:33:44:55...

I've also removed IOATAFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions as well.

I used Chameleon 2 RC1 and netkas 10.2 boot file for the installation. All worked well!

I can detail the install process further if people are interested in a specific installation technique that is suited to a USB drive installation on the M1530.

Next is to get Little Snitch working...

Cheers,

Brett

I cannot seem to get consistent availability of the LHS USB with the new DSDT. I was on A12 BIOS, I've since downgraded to A09. It seems to be completely random whether I get the LHS USB working or not...

Really strange. This is under 10.6 or 10.5.7.

I am running a Dell 1505 wifi card in the WWLAN slot and the Intel in the WLAN slot, I am wondering if i need to remove the Intel card and just use the 1505?