Modified boot-132 Bootloader

shardie

810 posts in this topic

I've tried SATA with AHCI, IDE mode.... no sucess...

stuck in 'still waiting for root device' ....

my hardware is:

GA-P35-DS3

Core2Duo E8400 3 GHz

Kingston 2GB RAM DDR2 800MHz

HD Sata 500GB (AHCI Mode)

DVD LG IDE

................ generic.iso :)

Any sugestion?

i couldnt use my ide dvd-rom i also have a external usb dvd-rom and was able to boot of it just fine so i ended up buying a SATA dvd-rom and i can boot off it just fine

Hmm...but unfortunately the boot device number is 1st HDD 80 2nd HDD 81 and main i mean the boot drive is [fe] :) ,where it should be [90] right?

any path to solve this? :)

**well, im using sata in AHCI mode(HDD&DVD WRITER)

Then use fe. When I am booting the DVD to install, I just hit ENTER and accept whatever is in there as default. You only need to use 80 or 81 when booting to your HDD after install is complete :)

I have installed the from the retail dvd evry thing runing good, but in system profiler in the model identifier is SomeModel

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: SomeModel.

Any way tto make it mac pro like the past :) ]

thanks

I think the general idea is to leave the install as VIRGIN as possible thats why you use the

initrd.img.

Try putting in the Extra/Extensions folder the kexts you need to work ( from a working system)

but DON'T overwrite any already there.

If this works successfully then put the Extra folder BACK into the initrd.img on the USB KEY.

I suppose you could also make a loader partition on your Hard Drive which will do the same thing.

I just find the USB Key approach so much easier to handle.

Hope this helps.

That's a really good idea. As this was my first stab at this I've got extensions all over the place as I wasn't really sure what I was doing half the time. :) If things go pear shaped I may do a complete reinstall, and try and keep all my extensions in the initrd.dmg file on the USB stick.

I did find the 10.5.4 combo update screwed up the restart and shutdown (when it was working before), I think this was the 10.5.4 update installs a newer AppleACPIPlatform.kext. I simply sent the newer AppleACPIPlatform.kext to the trash and now my restart and shutdown works again, so perhaps a little tinkering of the extensions folder may still be needed when booting from USB stick. Maybe the version numbers could be modded even so it always uses the extensions on the USB stick?

Anyway, I'm going to attempt dual booting at some point, and I'm definitely going to make a bootable USB key before I add any NTFS partitions or anything like that. :) I may even see if I can boot from USB stick and it brings up a menu asking if I'd like XP or OSX. This way I'll be less likely to muck something up on my HD.

Ok, here's my GA-965P-DS3 v2 ISO: http://www.mediafire.com/?1rw5fnxdmtg

Has some improvements: support for Rev 1.0/Rev 2.0/Rev 3.3 Onboard LAN support. Includes Disabler.kext too. Also I bumped up the version numbers of the kexts so that they aren't replaced by the ones on the DVD. Haven't actually tested it with the retail DVD, but the extensions are working with my Retail DVD OS X install, so I presume it works ok.

:)

Nice, I'll have to try this one out at some point. Also, thanks for your help, I've now got a fully working machine. Sound, wireless, QE, everything - I'm extremely happy. The next thing on my list is to dual boot with XP, I've imaged my drive again just to be on the safe side. :)

I am having some severe stability problems with my install of the retail disc. I have successfully installed from the retail disc via boot-132, and everything is in theory working properly- sound, video, keyboard etc. I have been able to update OSX to 10.5.4. However, I experience random bits of extreme lag whenever I watch videos (sometimes simple browsing) and also have freezing problems when accessing hard drives. I have tried using both nvinject and efi-gfx, but neither produce results. Is there a common problem here that is affecting everything? Let me know if any more information is needed to help diagnose this.

Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe'

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Corsair 4 x 2GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 8800GTS

Raptor X; 2 x Seagate 750GB

The others are correct, Pentium 4 systems can't run the vanilla kernel. However, you can still install from the retail DVD - sort of :blink:

As you can see from my sig. I too have a Pentium 4 system, but I used my retail 10.5.1 dvd to install it. First step is to use disk utility to restore the retail dvd to either a 8+ gb usb key or an external hard drive. Then replace the vanilla kernel with one of the newer modbin patched kernels. Then install either pc-efi-v8 or Chameleon boot loaders on tehdrive where your copy of the retail dvd resides. You will also need to add some amount of patched/older kext as required by your hardware.

This is usually done by trial and error - until you get the install disk to boot. Then install osx to your internal drive and make the same patches as were required on the install media. Unles you just enjoy hacking a system - as I do - you might wish to consider one of the very fine distribution dvd available in various places.

blade, could you give some kernels, so i can try the trial and error, or point me where to download it?

There seem to be some issues with boot-132 loading kexts that have dependencies on kext's in the Extensions folder. You either have to copy all the dependencies into your Extra/Extensions folder, or go back to editing the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

wbfisher. Yes I am also getting random bits of lag. More connected to programs thought. Running Colloquy was very laggy for some reason.

blade, could you give some kernels, so i can try the trial and error, or point me where to download it?

Well, you may need to read some more, and this would be a great place to start.

There are many good instructions in this and other threads in this general area. The first post also contains links to some of the things you may need. You may also wish to check in at the irc channels on hmbt.osx86.hu and join #hackint0sh. There are some references there - in the topic that might help.

Good luck.

What do you do at the chameleon screen after swapping discs? When I press enter it takes me to the screen that says press 80 or 81, and if I press enter again it just brings me back to the last screen. It just goes in the cycle forever.

I booted the dvd once and it made it to the install screen fine, I just dont know what I did to do it.

FINALLY GOT SOUND !!!!!!!!!

i could not get sound with ELASTICS .iso which is a shame as everything works perfectly for me except sound and full shutdown, restart works performance is great but i have tried for 4 days and cannot get sound from that iso.

so i went back to the generic.iso pros, i have sound!!! after using AppleHDAPatcher and the codec from ubuntu (as mentioned by ingram) performance is good after setting some of the AHCI settings in the bios to enabled however the cons are my system wont restart without hitting the reset button (elastics.iso would) it takes about twice as long as elastics to load from the cd (not a big deal) i have a 640MB video card that only shows as 512MB Q/E shows not supported but i can run the Quartz graphics test in Xbench.

option 2:

use elastics iso and use the USB Xmod audio device i bought today which i did test and it works but it bothers me that i couldnt get my onboard audio to work so thats why i tried the generic.iso with ingrams method but i think elastis iso with the USB Xmod audio might be the better way to go

Hi all,

I have an Abit IP35-Pro with a Q6600 quad. Modified boot-132 works just fine for installing OS X off a retail disc.

My only problem is that the restart and shutdown functions don't quite work.

Anyone having any problems related to restart and shutdown? Any fixes?

Hi all,

I have an Abit IP35-Pro with a Q6600 quad. Modified boot-132 works just fine for installing OS X off a retail disc.

My only problem is that the restart and shutdown functions don't quite work.

Anyone having any problems related to restart and shutdown? Any fixes?

i do now, searching for a fix

One more time, from first topic:

Infos about hardware:

[OFF]: Vanilla = Original Mac OS X DVD or Mac OS X Installation with running original mach_kernel.

AMD systemz isn't supported.

To use Mac OS X Vanilla DVD needs a Intel "Mac" closer systemz, like a Intel Core processos and Intel Chipset. This is only combination supported by "Vanilla Installz", other processors and chipsets isn't supported by "Mac OS X Vanilla systemz"

You machine: MB : Striker II Formula | ChipSet : 780i Nvidia | Working

Not Intel = Not Work and not way to make it run!

I dont understand what i am doing wrong if my board is working .. can u pls advice me a little more http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3127/photomz2.jpg

i have spent days browsing through this forum to fix this, i have downloaded the alc889a.zip installed the kext files via kext helper and no luck. about this mac shows my computer as an i mac would this have any impact on my audio,i have very little luck with the search funtion in this forum
first of all search on this forum is bad. Try google with alc889 site:insanelymac.comI have the same board as you have. My iso is kinda ok. Restart/Shutdown don't work (after update to .4, in the begining it work ofb) and my SATA drives show op orange. I will post it soon on the other forum.I need some more advice with making the bootloader. I got it working from a usbharddrive (actually a bootpartition on your harddrive would be even better) though it is still somewhat slow. I found that minimizing the site of the initrd.img speeds up the boot proces. Is there anyway of making .mkext from you extentions folder? or doesn't this work. The size of my harddrive .mkext is 12mb's while the whole extensions dir is arround 220.

Has anyone got this to work on a P5PE-VM board.

I have tried to get it to work and it does not at all.

I'm using a 10.5 Retail DVD 9a581 build.

and no luck with it at all.

chip sets

Intel Core Duo 2

ICH5/865G Intel Chipset.

I tried using the kexts from brazilmac since that works for my system.

But the retail dvd says waiting for root device.

I've actually browsed through the entire thread and found some issues about installing to MBR but not really a confirmation that this way(retail DVD) doesn't install to a MBR-disk.

Is it just some random users having problems with installing to MBR or is it a GUID-only installation method?

-e- Whoa, first post here... actually been here for quite a long time just reading and searching and actually finding solutions to my issues. :) That's probably why I haven't posted before...

hi ppl,

i have a Asus F3S laptop

Core 2 Duo (T7300)

2Gb Ram

Nvidia GeForce 8400M

i've tried BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso and the normal one that is in the first post, the problem is the same with both,

DarWin loads, then when I change the CD to the DVD MacOs backup, it loads darwin again, and then the background stays with

a gray Mac Logo, and it freezes in there.. sad.gif

any sugestion??

tks

Then use fe. When I am booting the DVD to install, I just hit ENTER and accept whatever is in there as default. You only need to use 80 or 81 when booting to your HDD after install is complete :thumbsup_anim:

no mate,

nothing happens...enter....enter....enter.. :thumbsup_anim:

Hi there,

I had a problem when I ask Disk Utility to repair permissions on / : SUID Warning "blabla"

I reinstalled the 10.5.4 comboupdate and now it's ok but...

I then reinstall the kext files for my components and now my network card can't connect using dhcp, I have to set it up manually. When I use ifconfig to down and up the interface it says "active" but in the network panel it gets a self-assigned ip (169.254.x.x pattern).

Any idea why ?

I'm unable to boot my burned disc

I have

-Downloaded original project

-Edited using the SuperHai method

-Changed the plist in every kext

-burned Iso

-Bios still doesn't see it.

I am able to boot with the generic disc so it seems to be something i did,

any ideas how I can fix this?