Modified boot-132 Bootloader

shardie

810 posts in this topic

can some one help me figure out why i am getting stuck . i am on Asus Striker II Formula using new.iso pls see pic at http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3127/photomz2.jpg

One more time, from first topic:

Infos about hardware:

[OFF]: Vanilla = Original Mac OS X DVD or Mac OS X Installation with running original mach_kernel.

AMD systemz isn't supported.

To use Mac OS X Vanilla DVD needs a Intel "Mac" closer systemz, like a Intel Core processos and Intel Chipset. This is only combination supported by "Vanilla Installz", other processors and chipsets isn't supported by "Mac OS X Vanilla systemz"

You machine: MB : Striker II Formula | ChipSet : 780i Nvidia | Working

Not Intel = Not Work and not way to make it run!

here you go, this is for the GA-P35-DS4, i think it might work for you toohttp://www.mediafire.com/?0g8v3pxntz4two things:1. audio not working (i use external firewire)2. with my evga 8800 GTX i have to put nvinject in the S/L/Extensions , not in the iso, or else i loose quartz
Thanks M8 this ISO worked for me but now I have to get the sound and my graphics card working.
m8 can u just try disabling ur serial / parrelel ports and try HTH
Thanks Ice I have used the ISO above and it worked

ual808,

do you know if there is any way of getting OSX Retail to install with out doing the staple method? I do not fancy doing that just in case it messes up my laptop.

I hope there is a way to get it working through the LCD screen of my laptop.

Cheers

NSCXP2005

Sheesh... A lot of posts. Ok. Here we go. :)

Well, atleast you got it working (sort of!). What I would recommend is that after you install 10.5, follow STVLNUB's instructions: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry808672

That tells you how to install it to the drive so you don't need the CD bootloader. After that, try installing the update again. After the first boot after updating it should run a post-install script and restart. Then it should work after that. Boot with -v to figure out what's going on.

Ok, my machine now boots from HD! Thanks. :offtopic:

Right, here's how I did it,

Formatted hard drive again, GUID partition table. Installed OSX 10.5 from the retail DVD.

Rebooted using the CD-rw to boot, went into single user mode to make the file to stop the welcome video loop.

Rebooted again, then I installed Chameleon from the DMG file, tested it out, it now tried to boot before failing.

I then booted using the CD-RW of your ISO again, and copied the "boot" file over to root, replacing the existing "boot" file.

As far as extensions go, I haven't a clue about this really... :) I did mount the INITRD.IMG drive image and copy the "Extras" file over to the root, weather it is using these extensions or not I don't have a clue. This is what I'm now trying to figure out, It's also not restarting properly, but I'm sure with some tinkering with extensions maybe I'll be able to fix it. I just need to get my head around how to get the extra hardware to work... What would happen if I copied the extensions from the ISO over the extensions in my system?

Finally, I almost forgot to mention, I also ran the 10.5.4 combo update without any issues. ;)

I can't directly use the CD-Boot method - see specs below - my system is a Pent 4 with SSE3 and HyperThread. So, I can't use the vanilla kernel. I use the modbin ones instead. However, I can use some of the techniques described in these threads.

So, this is what I did - after substantial help from ~galaxy - which is greatly appreciated;

1. Used disk Utility to partition my 8 Gb USB stick as HPFS+ GUID

2. Used Disk Utility to restore my retail Mac OS x 10.5.1 DVD to the USB Stick

3. Used the Chameleon installer to install Chameleon to the USB Stick

4. Created an Extra/Extensions folder containing
    • AppleDecrypt.kext

• AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

• Disabler.kext

• HDAEnabler.kext

• IOATAFamily.kext

• SMBIOSEnabler.kext

• AppleSMBIOS.kext

[*]Copied the Extra/Extensions folder to the root of the USB stick

[*]Replaced the /boot file installed by Chameleon with one from the CDBoot-iso

[*]Used a terminal session to replace the USB stick /mach_kernel with the 9.4.0 modbin kernel

At this point I was able to boot the USB stick and install OS X 10.5.1 to an external USB HDD. When the install finished it gave an error about not being able to re-boot. I did a manual re-boot back to the USB stick and entered rd=disk2s2 - pointing to the new OS X install.

OMG! It worked. The system booted. I used the Chameleon installer and installed Chameleon on the new OS X drive. I opened a terminal session and replaced the vanilla kernel with the 9.4.0 modbin kernel. I also copied the modbin kernel to /mach_kernel_modbin to prep for updates that might change the kernel. I copied the /Extra/Extensions folder from the USB stick to the new system root.

With this setup done I tried a re-boot directly to the external HDD - without going through the USB stick. With the system running on it's own I used software update to apply all the outstanding updated, including the update to 10.5.4. When re-booting after the updates I entered mach_kernel_modbin and the system restarted normally.

The only problems I have now are related to the use of Chameleon. I know that Chameleon is pulling kext from the /Extra/Extensions folder because that is the only source for the Decrypt kext which is needed to boot the system. However, it is not loading the ApplePS2Controler kext and the keyboard/mouse don't work without it. If I put the PS2Controler in the /S/L/E folder, the keyboard/mouse work just fine.

If anyone knows how to get around the PS2Controler problem please let me know. I hope this long-winded explination is useful to some others with systems that can't use the vanilla kernel yet still want to install from their retail DVD.

ps: My old system won't boot USB directly. The BIOS doesn't support it. I use a small MBR boot loader called "Smart Boot Manager" found on SourceForge.net. SmartBootManager is installed on a floppy and when I need to boot one of the USB drives I insert the floppy and let it select the one I want.

hello everyone,

can anyone please help me, i tryed and tryed but everytime it boots with the original retail leo 10.5.1 it loads some extensions and at a moment a black screen and there it remains... anyone some ideas please ? my system's specs can be seen in my signature

thank you

hello everyone,

can anyone please help me, i tryed and tryed but everytime it boots with the original retail leo 10.5.1 it loads some extensions and at a moment a black screen and there it remains... anyone some ideas please ? my system's specs can be seen in my signature

thank you

I can't say about your system, but on my system with Pentium 4, SSE3 and Hyperthreading, I can't use the vanilla kernel. I need to use the modbin patched kernel. I am sure that your retail DVD has a vanilla kernel. At least mine does. For that reason, I had to restore my retail dvd to a HDD partition, replace the kernel and make some other patches. Then I could boot from there and install OS X.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Okay, I downloaded and installed the OSX86 tools and did what I think I was supposed to. Now it starts to boot, but it only gets as far as the gray screen with the apple logo and spinning gear. Then a message comes on and says I need to restart my computer in several different languages. What did I do wrong?

Could I ask two questions? (Ok, three counting that one).

I was able to boot up the Kabyl.iso file found earlier in this thread. Using that CD, I successfully installed Leopard from my Retail DVD. Whoo hooo! Awesome! I installed it onto a GUID formatted hard drive on my home-built Intel Badaxe II system.

Then, I downloaded PcWiz's OSX86 tools, and used it to install Chameleon onto the hard drive. After successfully installing chameleon, I went into terminal and kept typing " cd .." until I found my way to the root folder (yeah, see I don't know much about this stuff.)

After verifying that I was in the root folder (by typing "ls" and seeing that I had found the folder that holds the file named "boot") I typed "rm -f boot". After that, I used finder to open up the root folder of my hard drive, and then I put the kabyl.iso cd back in the machine, opened it in another finder window, and copied all of the files from that cd to the root folder on my hard drive. It asked me for my password before it would copy the files.

I rebooted without the cd, and BLAM! It works! So I am thrilled.

My two remaining questions are: Is there a way to remove the step during bootup at the Darwin boot prompt? That is, is there a way where the boot could be set to automatically boot up to the default Leopard partition unless I, say, Hit F8 or something??

My other question is: My hard drive icon (and info) shows up on my desktop as an external drive, but it is not. Does anyone know which kext I would have to use to make it show up as an internal drive??

I have updated the vanilla system using Apple software update, and now I am running 10.5.4. I installed the appropriate version of Natit for my ATI HD 2600XT, and it works like a charm. Sleep even works on the machine! (Although I did have a weird problem with the keyboard yesterday after waking from sleep - hopefully it was a fluke.)

Thanks so much to the guys who figured this stuff out. My machine is screaming its so fast!

Sincerely,

Craigolio

hmm am i missing something here do i have to have the sound files on the boot loader cd is this why its not working i am using elastics bootloader .iso and trying to install the sound .kexts using kext helper b7. after installation.hmm am i missing something here do i have to have the sound files on the boot loader cd is this why its not working i am using elastics bootloader .iso and trying to install the sound .kexts using kext helper b7. after installation.

Onboard LAN works out of the box, and there is a patch made for my onboard sound already.

Your onboard sound (SigmaTel STAC9271) has a patch. If you do as search, you will find many motherboards with that onboard sound codec. Having a look here: http://www.osx86library.com/hardware/view.php?id=199 tells you what patch to use for sound. Having a look around for a driver for your onboard LAN doesn't look promising. However, you can find various cheap LAN cards that are compatible and do the job properly. :)

- Sabr.

Hi Sabr,

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't able to continue with my installation until today.

Good news is that the new USB mouse has worked for me and I've completed by retail install successfully. However, I cannot startup Mac OS without the Boot-132 CD. Is this normal, or will I be able to boot from the HDD at some point?

As for sound, I will take a look at the patch you suggested. Regarding LAN, my onboard network card is NOT recognized. I went and bought another LAN card today (one that is compatible with windows and unix/linux, US Robotics USR997902A), but I think I'll need to find a MAC driver for it too. Otherwise I'll have to check for PCI cards that will work for both Mac and Windows.

Again, thanks for your help on this!

Regards,

Scott

HAS anyone got sound to work ALC889A ihave been trying for a few days now and cannot get sound can some please post if they have it working and how to

thanks

Download taruga's applehda patcher, then use any linux disc to get the codec file of your audiocard. (for me it's at /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 ).

could someone please help me with sound everthing else works fantastic but i have no audio i use onboard sound from my motherboard which i belive to be Alc889a a little help would be great
The sound forum has a direct link for the 889a files/methods. You'll need HDAPatcher 1.20 and the right dump file for it.You can also try EFI strings using EFIstudio or similar method.All of these are outlined in the sound forum. A search will point you in the right direction in no time.
Hi All,Does any intel mobo(DG33TL & 945GNT) user know how to install the retail dvd?Thanx.
Aren't the instructions on the first post in the forum? <_<

I would recommend you make a USB key with the loader and use that.

With the USB key you will be able to use it as a Boot Loader for your Hard drives.

You will be able to boot a Corrupt Vista loader (no need to re-insert DVD for repair)

You DO NOT need to make any future Leopard install BOOTABLE (boot load problems are GONE!!) as well.

The USB key does all the work.

Hope this helps.

I also can't boot from the 'Leopard' drive. Using a usb key sound like a good idea. Is there any guide to making usb key bootalble. Also i wonder if there is any way to bypass the harddrive selection (like 80 of 81)

Atze

For all of you BLUE screen people. Here is how to solve it (there are two ways):

1. Install with an external monitor attached.

2. Download the Leopard Graphics Update from the Apple's site.

Better Method:

1. Install with an external montior.

2. Update to 10.5.4 using the Combo update that you can download from Apple's Site

You will need to edit your Boot CD probably afterwards to get the kexts to the right versions.

For all stray reader, this is not how you solve this problem if you are not using a RETAIL DVD.

@ craigolio :

To make the boot automatic you have to had this to your com.apple.Boot.plist :

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>yes</string>

The kext you need to make your hardrive "internal" is IOAHCIFamilly.kext.