GeForce 200 series support

EGOvoruhk

638 posts in this topic

Hi, Is it possible with a evga gtx295? or it´s only supported with cards with one cpu.

Thanks

What about Asus GTX 295? This card works good?

I am still unable to use it with QE/CI... :)

If there is a driver package to download or something to modify please tell me how...

I have this monster for quite some time and i'm still unable to use that at the full of

it's capacity...

AAAAOA== is the same as 0x00000038 in some format. The plist itself was created with OSx86Tools, then modified with PlistEditPro.

How to add EFI String:

1. Open OSx86Tools

2. Click Add EFI String

3. Click GFX Strings

4. Choose Custom GeForce from list

5. Input name (GTX260, GTX280, it's just a name so it really doesn't matter)

6. If VRAM size isn't in list, select Custom and input it in hex (0x00000038 is 896 MB)

7. Select type of connectors your card has (most likely DVI-I / DVI-I)

8. Save as XML

9. Open PlistEdit Pro and load the saved XML .plist file.

10. Select VRAM, look what number is in it (mainly the last two numbers, which can be something like 20 for 512 MB, 38 for 896 MB and so on), change VRAM data type to Data (instead of string) and type 000000 and the last two numbers from the previous VRAM string (00000038 for example). Now it should read something like "4 bytes: 00000038.

11. Save the file.

12. Open OSx86Tools again.

13. Click Add EFI String

14. Click Import Hex/Plist

15. Click Import File and select your plist

16. Click Import String to boot editor

17. Click Apply changes to boot.plist (NOTE! This will overwrite the boot.plist so if you have some other customizations done to it you want to use Save as Hex after step 15 and then manually copy&paste the hex to the <key>device-properties</key><string>COPY HEX HERE</string> in boot.plist)

18. Check Repair permissions and Clear Extension cache in OSx86Tools main screen and click Run Selected Tasks

19. Reboot (with -v -f flags if needed)

sweet thanks for the instructions. I will try this when i get the time.

and if i want to put the full amount of vram, 1792, what number i must write?

0x000000?? what number instead of 38?

Here is the error i get when trying to apply chagnes to com.apple.Boot.plist

AppleScript Error

/bin/sh: /Applications/OSx86: No Such file or directory (127)

I dont think i hae a com.apple.Boot.plist? Is that possible?

Thanks everyone,

I have setup my Hackintosh with a GeForce GTX260 with dual screens and I have a perfectly working setup (except sound card but onboard works), all up to date and stable. For those interested, this is what I did:

1. Install iPC 10.5.6 (do not choose any nVidia drivers)

2. Update everything via Software Update

3. Reinstall voodoo kernel (for AMD users) from iPC disk

4. Install official drivers from eVGA

5. Reboot making sure only one display is connected

6. Install injector from netkas.org

7. Follow instructions from previous posts about EFI strings

8. ???

9. Profit.

All done :P Will probably have to start again when snow leopard is released but should be worth it.

Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E SLI nForce 570

Memory: 4GB DDR2 800

Gfx: GeForce GTX 260

Sound card: XFI XtremeGamer (NOT WORKING)

Network: nVidia nForce onboard

Could not have done a thing without this board and the mac x86 community. Thanks guys... :D

Thanks everyone,

I have setup my Hackintosh with a GeForce GTX260 with dual screens and I have a perfectly working setup (except sound card but onboard works), all up to date and stable. For those interested, this is what I did:

1. Install iPC 10.5.6 (do not choose any nVidia drivers)

2. Update everything via Software Update

3. Reinstall voodoo kernel (for AMD users) from iPC disk

4. Install official drivers from eVGA

5. Reboot making sure only one display is connected

6. Install injector from netkas.org

7. Follow instructions from previous posts about EFI strings

8. ???

9. Profit.

All done :o Will probably have to start again when snow leopard is released but should be worth it.

Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E SLI nForce 570

Memory: 4GB DDR2 800

Gfx: GeForce GTX 260

Sound card: XFI XtremeGamer (NOT WORKING)

Network: nVidia nForce onboard

Could not have done a thing without this board and the mac x86 community. Thanks guys... :(

You need the injector even if you have EFI strings? I thought that the EFI strings were supposed to replace the inject?

Thanks! So are you using EFI strings + EVGA drivers?

yes, it's not difficult or use OSX86Tools!

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260:

Chipsatz-Modell: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Typ: Monitor

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 896 MB

Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Geräte-ID: 0x05e2

Versions-ID: 0x00a1

ROM-Version: 3172a

Monitore:

AT1099DA-1:

Auflösung: 1280 x 1024 @ 85 Hz

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Hardware-unterstützt

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Unterstützt

Rotation: Unterstützt

CPD-E230:

Auflösung: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Hardware-unterstützt

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Unterstützt

Rotation: Unterstützt

you need the injector anyway

Injector from Netkas !

CooSee ' Ya

Here's my success story, hopefully it will help someone.

I installed the GT200 Series drivers when they came out, along with the latest Injector at that time. It worked for me, except for the dual displays. I just followed Kasakka's instructions down below and was able to get my second display working just fine. Here are a few tips to clear some of this up for people still having problems:

1) I did not uninstall the original GT200 drivers or Injector.

2) I did not not the EVGA drivers or latest Injector at all.

3) I did not need to use PlistEditPro to generate the hex. OSX86Tools did this just fine.

4) I did not use OSX86Tools to edit the boot.plist. Instead I opened the terminal and did "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist".

5) I then used OSX86Tools to Repair Permissions and Clear Extension Cache.

6) When I hit reboot my screen faded and I got the system error message. I powered my machine off and then back on again. Everything was fine.

7) When my system came back, by resolution was one notch down. I bumped it back up and it just sat at a solid blue screen. I power cycled my machine again and it came back as full resolution.

8) I connected my second display and it came up no problem, but my primary went back to the resolution one notch down. I was able to put it back this time without having to reboot.

9) In System Profiler, it says that my VRAM is 0MB for some reason. Not sure why this is, but I was able to load up Toca Racing Demo at 1920x1200 with 4x AA just fine. If the VRAM wasn't properly detected, I wouldn't have been able to play.

I am very happy with the results now and am more than willing to help anyone else with this. Thanks everyone for all your help!

AAAAOA== is the same as 0x00000038 in some format. The plist itself was created with OSx86Tools, then modified with PlistEditPro.

How to add EFI String:

1. Open OSx86Tools

2. Click Add EFI String

3. Click GFX Strings

4. Choose Custom GeForce from list

5. Input name (GTX260, GTX280, it's just a name so it really doesn't matter)

6. If VRAM size isn't in list, select Custom and input it in hex (0x00000038 is 896 MB)

7. Select type of connectors your card has (most likely DVI-I / DVI-I)

8. Save as XML

9. Open PlistEdit Pro and load the saved XML .plist file.

10. Select VRAM, look what number is in it (mainly the last two numbers, which can be something like 20 for 512 MB, 38 for 896 MB and so on), change VRAM data type to Data (instead of string) and type 000000 and the last two numbers from the previous VRAM string (00000038 for example). Now it should read something like "4 bytes: 00000038.

11. Save the file.

12. Open OSx86Tools again.

13. Click Add EFI String

14. Click Import Hex/Plist

15. Click Import File and select your plist

16. Click Import String to boot editor

17. Click Apply changes to boot.plist (NOTE! This will overwrite the boot.plist so if you have some other customizations done to it you want to use Save as Hex after step 15 and then manually copy&paste the hex to the <key>device-properties</key><string>COPY HEX HERE</string> in boot.plist)

18. Check Repair permissions and Clear Extension cache in OSx86Tools main screen and click Run Selected Tasks

19. Reboot (with -v -f flags if needed)

Thanks for your post, indeed it fixed my problem 4) I did not use OSX86Tools to edit the boot.plist. Instead I opened the terminal and did "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist".

that specifically.

Dual monitors with 260gtx

Thanks to Kasakka for his excellent EFI tutorial, I would never had known about the HEX for the ram or how to convert it. Here's how it went for me with an EVGA GTX260 216 PIPE, SUPERCLOCKED, 896MB:

- Installed the EVGA drivers

- Shutdown, took out my 9800GTX+

- Replaced it with GTX260

- Rebooted, EFI strings from 9800GTX+ were still in my boot.plist so it showed up as such

- Ran Kasakka's EFI tutorial, copied the string into my boot.plist, rebooted, and voila!

(did NOT need *any* injector)

Everything works as expected, dual monitors, full res, QE/QC, etc....

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

There are two small issues with using a GTX 260 though:

1. I cannot boot using graphical boot at 1080p, so it defaults to a stretched small res. It loads 1080p once the os has loaded though so it ain't a big deal.

2. When I am watching video on the second display (via DVI - HDMI), the video is great, but once I turn off the primary display, video lags every 5 seconds, so I have to keep my monitor on while I watch films on the HDTV.

Has anyone else noticed these and possibly come up with a solution?

Thanx to everybody providing us with all the feedback on the 200 series.

I'm planning my 1st hackintosh build this summer and I'm still deciding between the ati 4870 and nvidia 260 vid cards.

Some questions:

1) Do the evga drivers support all the different GTX 260 models , like the base GTX 260, GTX 260 Core 216, all the diff SSC models?

2) Can someone confirm that builds with a gtx 260 or 260 core 216 can go into (deep) sleep and wake up ok???

I think the 4870 drivers have a lot of problems with sleep,

3) Does the 260 or 216 core 216 work OK with a single VGA monitor? I'm planning to keep my Sony E500 monitor untill I've saved up for a 30" screen.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work

Looks like my PC CoD4 key works for MP with the Mac version. Performance is not as good as it is under Windows. I'm guessing the EVGA drivers might improve this. It's still playable at 1920x1200 with everything maxed though.

I was experiencing some random kernel panics after adding the EFI string. Not sure if it was related or not. I had been running just fine for a couple weeks before that. I decided to try and install the updated Injector and EVGA drivers to see if that helped. I haven't had a kernel panic since.

Steps:

1) Reboot with -s.

2) rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*

3) rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*

4) rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ATY_Init.kext

5) Reboot into OSX

6) Install updated Injector

7) Install EVGA drivers

8) Reboot

Hi guys.. i'm having some problems making those drivers working. I'm using latest netkas injectors and evga driver, plus efi string wich i'm sure do work, but only when i boot in safe mode with -x.

When i boot normally, only with the -v flag, boot process stops saying:

localhost kernel[0]: NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

when i do boot in -x -v, i have these:

Jun 22 13:27:40 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Jun 22 13:27:40 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 1

Jun 22 13:27:41 localhost kernel[0]: NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

Jun 22 13:27:41 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Jun 22 13:27:42 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

Jun 22 13:27:42 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga

Jun 22 13:27:42 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Jun 22 13:27:42 localhost kernel[0]: ATY_Init: NVIDIA card device-id - 5e2

Jun 22 13:27:42 localhost kernel[0]: ATY_Init: nvidia card vram size = 939524096 b

and in system profiler (i think reading from the efi string, it was also working only with enablers + evga drivers) :

Chipset Model: GTX260

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 896 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x05e2

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: GTX260 OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

SAMSUNG:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

my config:

AMD Athlon X2 5200+

M3N-HD HDMI

4GB DDR2 Corsair

XFX 260gtx+ black edition 896mb

Can somebody tell me what's wrong?

Dreamboy2k, if you're using EFI strings then you need to remove the enabler ATY_Init.kext. Use either injector/enabler or EFI string, not both at the same time.

Don't worry about the display specific matching fails errors, I get them too and my system works fine.

Dreamboy2k, if you're using EFI strings then you need to remove the enabler ATY_Init.kext. Use either injector/enabler or EFI string, not both at the same time.

Don't worry about the display specific matching fails errors, I get them too and my system works fine.

Ok great, now i managed to make it work with the latest netkas injector + the old gt200 drivers. The only issue is that i have to boot with -f to make it work. But i don't think it's a big problem.

Thanks anyway :wacko:

Ok great, now i managed to make it work with the latest netkas injector + the old gt200 drivers. The only issue is that i have to boot with -f to make it work. But i don't think it's a big problem.

Thanks anyway :)

Now it's not working again, after i did installed the usb drivers. same errors as before. with any combinations of efi strings, ati_init.kext or gt200/evga drivers it just stops as i posted before.

I'm going crazy!!

Nobody??