GeForce 200 series support

EGOvoruhk

638 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, check out:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1164771

and

http://netkas.org/?p=105

Thanks to netkas for the heads up!

Original title: Is GeForce GTX 260/280 support possible?

Original post: I was looking at picking up a new card soon. Before the card came out, I read it was based on G92. I don't know if that was a rumor or not. Does anyone have one, or know what it's based on?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did it exactly the same way that Josh D did it, but I didn't feel like putting it in my Boot.plist because I move my computer around a lot, using my 1920x1200 monitor and a 1280x1024 monitor. If you want to try it out, just type the same thing you would put in the Boot.plist as your boot options at startup.

Oh and the string is formatted like this:

"Graphics Mode"="[width]x[height]x[depth]@[Refresh Rate]"

EX: For the 1920x1200 resolution I use this as a startup parameter, either at boot time, or in your Boot.plist:

"Graphics Mode"="1920x1200x32@60"

• 2 months later...

Hello Users of the GTX 260,

there are a lot of posts that this card doesn´t work, but you can install the card, it works with a resolution of your choice, for example "1680*1050*32 or 1280*1024*32.

Also Qicktime is displaying movies and you get a sound with a little tool, also the Divxplayer works for me.

I tried a lot of drivers before and i always had problems to start the OSX regular with my GTX260.

So i deleted the

GeForce.kext

NVDAN40Hal.kext

NVDAN50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVKush

i also edited the com.apple.boot.plist and defined the resolution

"Graphics Mode"="1680*1050*32"

The " needs to be typed in, if you don´t find it, it is the "shift" Ä" key on a german keyboard :-)

To get sound on the avi movies, i installed "Perian_1.1.3" an easy tool.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you already tried to install your geforce and the system won´t boot even if you trie the save mode "-X", than you can as mentioned, delete the kext in the singlemode and the system will start again in vesa-mode.

So do the following:

sbin/mount -uw /

LS /System/Library/Extensions

you´ll see the list with your kext

delete wrong kext:

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAN40Hal.kext

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAN50Hal.kext

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext

then type in:

reboot

now, the system will boot again normally, you can work like before and try some different things.

I don´t know how often you read the tip but i searched a while for this informations so i took them in this lillte post.

Good luck to you all

Basically, you need Snow Leopard which works with QE & CI fine. Here it is with dual cards in my hack. Note the driver version 1.6 in Open GL Extensions Viewer.

dualgeforcegtx280.jpg

exviewer.jpg

However, I suspect support will be along soon in either 10.5.7 or 10.5.8. Unfortunately, Snow Leopard drivers are not backwards compatible with Leopard, they are just too different.