GeForce 200 series support

EGOvoruhk

638 posts in this topic

I am building a new rig and want to install leopard. i have ipc 10.5.6. My video card is a evga GTS 250 1gb ddr3. what would the best way to install this card fully functional, with qe/ci support?

Thanx in advance

-Kr0NiC

Now it's not working again, after i did installed the usb drivers. same errors as before. with any combinations of efi strings, ati_init.kext or gt200/evga drivers it just stops as i posted before.

I'm going crazy!!

Nobody??

Start over fresh. Remove the drivers, injector and EFI string. Then reboot and follow the instructions again.

I added one of the original gtx260's (192 stream processors) to my hackintosh after installing the modified driver pkg and the enabler.

Apple system profiler still reflects my 8800gts 640mb card, so I still need to create an EFI string and modify my boot.plist (not terribly experienced at this so I think I'll back up my boot partition first).

Is the EVGA driver pkg the same as the modified one? Whenever I try to run the EVGA pkg it says 'unsupported machine'. Apple system profiler shows the model identifier as Mac Pro 2,1 (guess it needs to be 3,1 or 4,1). How would I change the model identifier?

Start over fresh. Remove the drivers, injector and EFI string. Then reboot and follow the instructions again.

Done that. Not working again.

Tried again installing IAKTOS v7 with Natit.kext (which i suppose is ATY_Init.kext) and the gt200 package. Now i have a working setup !

I think that the MODIFIED USB drivers selected in the setup of the iso was the cause of the issue, so now i use vanilla drivers which now apparently do work fine. However if something goes wrong again, i'll write here.

Thank you!

I added one of the original gtx260's (192 stream processors) to my hackintosh after installing the modified driver pkg and the enabler.

Apple system profiler still reflects my 8800gts 640mb card, so I still need to create an EFI string and modify my boot.plist (not terribly experienced at this so I think I'll back up my boot partition first).

Is the EVGA driver pkg the same as the modified one? Whenever I try to run the EVGA pkg it says 'unsupported machine'. Apple system profiler shows the model identifier as Mac Pro 2,1 (guess it needs to be 3,1 or 4,1). How would I change the model identifier?

you need the one with mac-pro check removed!

gtx200.pkg mac-pro check removed!

CooSee ' Ya

Thx for your reply,

Actually that is the driver I used, is the content the same as the driver pkg from the EVGA website?

Also my EFI string is still present for my prior 8800 GTS 640mb card (apple system profiler still shows the 800 gts). Does the presence of this string affect the actual performance of my GTX260?

Hi All, I have read through this whole thread and have found this information very valuable as I plan my Hackintosh-Windows 7 machine. However, there is one scenario I have not seen yet that I would like to consider.

My goal is to build a good Hackintosh machine for every day general computing needs and have the ability to dual boot into Windows 7 and have a high end gaming machine. As such I want to know if anyone has gotten a 3x GTX 200 system working. I don't really care if the third card is not recognized by OSX as long as the other two will work without having to remove the third card.

My current plan is something like the following:

Gigabye GA-EX58-UD4P

Core i7 920 Nehalem

3 EVGA GTX 275 FTW Edition or willing to go to GTX 285s if that would be easier to get working.

6GB of CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1600 Memory

G.SKILL FALCON FM-25S2S-128GBF1 128GB SSD

30" Dell 2007WFP

27" Dell 2709W

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this kind of system...am I crazy? I did see that javi mahai was able to get 2 GTX 285s working; maybe I should just get 2 EVGA GTX 285 FTW editions and call it good.

Thx for your reply,

Actually that is the driver I used, is the content the same as the driver pkg from the EVGA website?

Also my EFI string is still present for my prior 8800 GTS 640mb card (apple system profiler still shows the 800 gts). Does the presence of this string affect the actual performance of my GTX260?

you should add your EFI strings to com.apple.boot.plist, it's not so difficult !

here is mine, GTX 260 Extreme+ 896MB

com.apple.Boot.plist_GTX260 Extreme+ 896MB !

" ABSOLUT NO GUARANTEE "

maybe useful for comparison !

and i followed these instructions:

Change EFI strings Howto !

<00000008> - 128Mb

<00000010> - 256Mb

<00000014> - 320Mb

<00000020> - 512Mb

<00000028> - 640Mb

<00000030> - 768Mb

<00000038> - 896Mb < ---- !

good luck :D !

CooSee ' Ya

Thanks to Kasakka, I've got my setup up and running:

- eVGA GTX 260 216 Superclocked with 896MB RAM

- eVGA drivers (did not need to use modified installer since Chameleon has my box showin up as a MacPro)

- EFI Strings

- NO INJECTOR USED!!!

Hi,

Just wondering, does Apple System Profiler list your Mac Pro as a 2,1 3,1 or a 4,1?

When i try to install eVGA drivers it says unsupported system even though mine shows as a Mac Pro2,1

Hi,

Just wondering, does Apple System Profiler list your Mac Pro as a 2,1 3,1 or a 4,1?

When i try to install eVGA drivers it says unsupported system even though mine shows as a Mac Pro2,1

think it has to be a 4... digital dreamers script can change it for you...

Hi... can anyone help me please?

I have an Asus GTX 285 1GB... I can install ideneb 10.5.6 from boot fine, and this all works.

Now is it possible for me to install a working kext for my GPU? Will the pkg's from this post work with my graphics card?

Thanks!

Hi... can anyone help me please?

I have an Asus GTX 285 1GB... I can install ideneb 10.5.6 from boot fine, and this all works.

Now is it possible for me to install a working kext for my GPU? Will the pkg's from this post work with my graphics card?

Thanks!

yep best and easiest way is to instal the evga drivers and then then gfx string and sorted... plan on doing mine next week...

Here is the GTS 250 Kext a few of you have been requesting. I've included the 512MB and 1024MB strings for the different card models. Hope it works for you guys. There's a read me file included for those who need help, and the disclaimer that pops up when you mount the DMG also includes the instructions.

GeForce GTS 250

EDIT: The download didn't work originally. It's working now.

Sky, I can't get my BFG GTS 250 working. I'm tried installed your kext but still am having no luck. Can you link me and exact process to installing it?

i have my GTX 260 working great on a retail 10.5.7 install by installing the updated injectors and then the modified EVGA drivers, with dual monitors!!

However, i see a lot of talk here about installing the EFI strings...what advantage does that have over the injector? do OS updates go smoother with EFI strings instead of an injector? responses are greatly appreciated! and thanks to everyone who posted success stories and quick tutorials on here, they have helped me immensely!!

I seem to have a weird problem. The drivers install properly, the card is recognized. Unfortunately it sells me that Quartz Extreme is disabled and that Core Image is running in software mode. I was wondering if there was a workaround of some sort to 'force' the acceleration, as I have tried pretty much everything in this thread. (tried making my custom driver with OSXtools, the Quadro Drivers, the EVGA drivers, as well as Netkas' enabler, as well as deleting all the pertinent files in /System/Library/Extensions/). The card is detected and works, just that the hardware acceleration does not.

I find this odd as most people here either have the card fully functional or KP / black screen on boot.

I am running 10.5.7 vanilla with a BFG GTX260 896mb card.

I got my GTX 285 working great, but there is one problem and it's quite annoying. My color profiles are set to "Millions", but certain colours like dark greys have a sort of pinstripe discoloration to them, and things like dropshadows from windows make it very apparent - the shadows are extremely chunky.

I booted into Linux and looked at the same things and they looked fine. Does anyone have this problem or know of a fix?

P.S. I had to install specifically the non-EVGA driver and NVEnabler, without the EFI strings to get the card to work properly. Doing otherwise, the menu would be opaque and starting Photo Booth would quit with it saying my graphics card cannot run it.

Again a sleep related question. It's the only thing holding me back from building a hack.

Can anyone confirm that SLEEP mode is working when one use a GTX 260 (dual DVI card + netkas injector + evga drivers) + VGA monitor (DVI -> VGA adapter)

Thanks

Again a sleep related question. It's the only thing holding me back from building a hack.

Can anyone confirm that SLEEP mode is working when one use a GTX 260 (dual DVI card + netkas injector + evga drivers) + VGA monitor (DVI -> VGA adapter)

Thanks

yep, works fine, tried that the other day before going in for a brand new monitor. I have dual monitors working flawlessly now on an EVGA GTX 260! (knocks on wood)

Hey hey..

I just bought a new card, the Geforce GTX 260 with 800 or something VRAM. It seems you can make it work on a Mac Pro. Could somebody post step-by-step instructions for a newb, please? :D

Ok, I tried to fool around a bit and got nowhere. I only managed to install the drivers and the card. When I boot I only get a black screen and a blue sceen when I boot with my 2 cards, HD 2600 and gtx 260.

Damn... does it only work for hacks?

Got two NVIDIA cards...

The GTX 260 and an 8500 GT (that I use for a 3rd monitor).

Anyone had any luck getting different generation cards to work together?

I installed the eVGA drivers and the Injector but it boot seems to just hang. If I only install the drivers, it doesn't hang but the screen goes black (power saving mode). Tried only connecting one screen, but still no luck. Can't be f'd ripping out the other card tbh.