[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

In desperation, I finally need to ask for help

Sometime long ago, I have installed Mac OS X JaS 10.4.7 SSE2 with no problem

But then I had to format it so that I can boot and have space for Linux

Now I have reinstall my Linuxes (Ubuntu and Backtrack) with vmware on the partition. No more space and mbr, partition conflicts

From cpu-z, I found out that my Intel processor supports SSE3 instructions.

So with new hopes, I want to install 10.4.7 in SSE3 instructions, because SSE2 is pretty laggy and slow. (Side question, can anyone play Chess on SSE2 OSX)

But no matter how many times I tried after getting OSX installed on its own partition, I just can't boot into it

I slowly start to think that it's the patch I installed wrong. If you have JaS 10.4.7, you have this option to install the Intel Combo package that is 821 MB. I checked it because it says it's mandatory for all Intel processors

I also checked the SSE3 patch.

Yet I don't get it, if I installed Mac wrong, I should at least get a darwin bootloader and I can get in there, and it will give me either a never-ending gray screen or a black screen text with errors on it.

Therefore, can anybody please tell me what I did wrong?

my HDD setup is as follows:

Unallocated Space: 313.8MB

OSX Partition: 16.02 GB

Windows C: Partition: 86.29 GB

Extended Partitions:

Partition for Virtual OS: 16.06 GB

Windows D: 67.48 GB

Unallocated: 164.7 MB

Thanks for you help

I used the "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3" ISO.

My specs are:

System: Dell Optiplex 210L

Motherboard: Dell 0WJ772

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 531 3.0GHz

Memory: 2GB

Drive(s): 2 SATA Harddrives, 1 IDE DVD-RW Drive

USB: All 6 Ports Work

Graphics: Built-in; only shows 1024x768

Sound: Built-in; No Sound (Yet.)

Ethernet: Built-in; Not detected (Yet.)

The install would have went smoothly but I had accidentally let the system restart by its self after the first install (took roughly 15-20 minutes) and ended up installing it again without adding the Intel SSE2/3 patch and got a no keyboard error upon starting OSX. After realizing what had went wrong, I reinstalled it a 3rd time with the appropriate patch and (almost) everything worked.

I'm very patient :) The install telles me 5 hours and 34 minutes to go.. been running for 3 hours already :) and now it's installing the Epson Printer Drivers...

What I have:

Toshiba Satellite A75

What I did:

Follow instructions from dinlalomo, using the Jas Generic Install DVD 10.4.6

What happened:

When I loaded the DVD for the first time, I was excited, got the grey screen, then the blue screen, then.. a "forbidden" sign :unsure:

Googled around, found the -v option, which showed me that it was stopping at "still waiting for the root device". Googled more, and found posts that said it was working fine with an external USB DVD drive, which I had. So I bootted from the drive, and magic, it worked, but loading way slower than the internal dvd drive.. anyway.... up to the "select the language" screen. Now keyboard and mouse are not working (keyboard was working since I hit F8 and typed -v, but at the language selection screen it was not). So i thought well maybe I need everything USB.. so i put my usb keyboard on the laptop, and a usb mouse, and oh magic :P it allowed me to type and use the mouse!

Followed all instructions, and then went for the install..... Which tells me it's gonna take 7 hours to complete :wacko: ... I just hope it's a joke and miscalculation.. but there I am 4 hours later it says 5h 30 mn left (so in total it's gonna be way more than 7 hours).

While installing I saw a post that said I could have disabled USB Legacy devices from the BIOS and use the internal dvd and hopefully keyboard & mouse, but since i've been waiting 4 hours i'm not going to interupt it and let it finish.

Btw I saw the screen shown by DRKRONNIN and I just did what it said (stop the pc and restart) and that went to the install at reboot.

So I will pray all night and see what happens when I wake up tomorrow.. if it's still installing or if I broke everything or if I can boot and get MacOS running at an acceptable speed !

post-81720-1170551628_thumb.jpg

post-81720-1170551638_thumb.jpg

I need an ANSWER!

I have tried installing 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 already, but still the computer goes back to XP after the OSX install

These two installations have been successful in the past

is this a stupid MBR problem?

thanks

Well the slowness was avoided by disabling Legacy usb support in the bios.

I also had a problem with the disk, getting an Install.IntelBase error at the end of the install. I redownloaded the ISO, reburned it, reinstalled everything again, and :( you can add me in your count ! Thanks for your help!!

Proof attached :D

post-81720-1170651530_thumb.jpg

post-81720-1170651538_thumb.jpg

post-81720-1170651583_thumb.jpg

ok cool, did you use MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso from piratebay for this? also is there any reason why it wouldnt just happily boot? mine seems to always say "sam multimedia blah blah blah" alot of times (when in -v mode) then something about still waiting for device. ? in normal graphic mode i get an apple with a rotating thing for a while then a small circle with a cross through it appears in the centre of the screen?

I have an athlon64 X2 3800+

Dude, I had the same problem, fixed it by taking my external HDD out of the enclosure and connecting it internally (IDE, i think)

^_^

someone here had a problem with the size of the image, meaning that if the explorer shows 4gb,

the files inside the image have only 130kbs, but never said how he solved it.

mine is Mac_OS_X_10.4.6_x86_Install_DVD_(JaS).iso (also have MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso, but it's not downloaded yet)

I used nero and alcohol to burn it to a dvd.

I used daemon and alcohol to mount it to a virtual drive.

Win rar to open it. I had the show hidden files activated. Nothing worked.

they all show 8 files that have 130kbs.

Please can someone who has a working image post a screenshot of the files. I don't want to download it all over again for nothing.

post-83380-1171304128_thumb.jpg

post-83380-1171304280_thumb.jpg

post-83380-1171304367_thumb.jpg

Edited by andreim

This is correct. Because Windows ist not able to handle HFS-file system it cannot see most of the files on the CD. These few files you see are in a CDFS-file system I think.

simply try booting with the CD, if it´s working it should be okay.

Edited by Snooker216

with the cd? well i tried with the dvd and got the dashed circle at the apple logo.

i tried with -v but said: waiting for root device.

i have a laptop so would the solution be an external dvd-rom?

at least i don't have to downloaded all over again :star_sunglasses:

after 5 diferent installs of the using different tutorials i finnaly can access osx

but heres the problem.... i cant access windows anymore.

i followed your method exactly. im using jas 10.4.8 amd intel sse2 sse3 .iso

the mac side works great. but when the computer boots it goes stright into osx.

no OS selector, no darwin, nothing. its like osx is the only thing on the computer.

beofre the osx install the OS selector worked great. had only a windows and a: option but worked fine loading into windows.

now how can i get back into windows?

the software im using is everything you had liste don the tutorial.

i just have the 2 partitions. the c: is windows and the other is the osx.

ive spent the last 2 days after work till 12am trying to make this work. i have osx but

lost access to windows.

can anyone help?

thanks,

skot

Edited by skot

I succeeded dual booting by following this guide to the tee. (The following information was requested by the original author and was used for educational purposes only.) I used Mac OSx86 4/5&6 by Myz.iso after digging for it for quite sometime, I found it buried on the Island. My sincerest compliments go out to the artist for creating such a beautiful piece of work. I have a Dell Precision Workstation 380 with a P4-Prescott Dual Core processor. I never had to adjust my bios which is version 6 if this helps anyone. I used the Acronis Disk Manager as the guide instructed and installed on my first boot. As to further my education, I am rigorously testing the great build. I think that I have booted back into the doze maybe twice since the launch. Yes, it is that good. I had some trouble with the networking at first, but after readjusting my settings to just DHCP at the beginning of the install, and downloading the driver supplied by Humanmx which I found out later was supplied by another member, which I believe I have attached the correct one, then I followed these instructions: unpack AppeBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip, copy AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/, open Terminal, type sudo -s, chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/, then enter, then type chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext, finally reboot. (Thanks to another member, but I have forgotten her name.) When I got back in, I was online. :D I have had quite a bit of trouble with the Sigmatel HD onboard sound, but I solved the problem by installing a universal sound blaster pci card, it's not the opera, but I'm the only one listening. Thanks to all that helped me., I hope this might help someone else.

pboriginals :unsure:

ok i figured it out.

after i made the partition for the mac drive i made it active. so it was the first to load; before the c: drive had a chance to run its boot loader i installed.

thx for the great tutorial. btw i ended up use system commander 7.0. works great and is really fast

I managed to install it on my pc, but couldn't get it to boot. i tried pressing F8 and then selecting mac os x, the chain 0 method, disabling os selector.

I think my mistake was at the finsihing point.

When it said: restarting in 10..9..8..i waited..then the circular lines started...and nothing happened. It took longer that the instalation itself..so i pressed the RESTART button from the pc.

I continued doing the tutorial, it keeps botting in WIN. I booted from the dvd again...did a check..then pressed restart. It still hangs.

At this point could it still be a hardware problem?

I did click the customize button and selected what i needed.

Edited by andreim

Using a hp pavillion dv2000 laptop.

downloaded the JAS 10.4.7 and burnt using Nero.

Partitioned using Acronis.

I Put dvd in drive and boot, select to boot from cd/dvd drive, and grey apple screen comes up telling me i need to restart my computer. (image posted before http://img3.glowfoto.com/images/2007/01/09-0934128570T.jpg )

i restart the computer and then it goes into darwin boot menu, it says press any key to start or give me -v or ? options.

When i press key it immediately says "system config file '/com.apple.boot.plist" not found. (as slee210 posted earlier)

i cannot get around this. I have verified the dvd, and it seems like it is legit, i just cant get past this.

I need help please and hope someone who has found a way around this can help me.

also, would another option be to use install disk on my macintosh and have it install onto the partition on my hp laptop?)

it just seems like because system config file '/com.apple.boot.plist" is not found that the info is not there? any ideas???

After a facility as well As originating a macintosh show this:

localhost mDNSResponder: local mDNSResponder :adding browse domain local

What do...!?

P.S:OSX 10.4.8 AMD SSE3

Same issue but mine is SSE2

Suckage

Dice:(

I managed to make my system triple boot WindowsXP, OSX 10.4.8 and Vista - and achieved 100% compatibility

Asus P4P800 Mobo, Onboard sound, Onboard ethernet 3c940 (0x170010b7)

3.4Ghz Prescott SSE3 P4 CPU

2Gb RAM

3x IDE HD

Nvidia Geforce 6600GT 128Mb AGP

I had windowsXp on my first harddrive and with Acronis Disk director I made room 20Go at the end of the drive for an HFS partition and created a temporary fat32 primary partition. I chose not to use the OS Boot selector that came with the Acronis Disk director since it isn't compatible with Vista.

I opted to copy the chain0 file from the DVD and put it in the root of my WindowsXP drive. I edited the Boot.ini file so that it would include an option C:\chain0 with a text like OSX 10.4.x. - press F8 for options. When I select OSX I have to press F8 immediately and select the right OSX partition to boot from. My system had become dual boot. I did this with JaS OSX 10.4.7 mind you - this is more compatible out of the box than the JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3 Intel Amd solution. The onboard sound is instantly supported.

I needed the adapted skge.kext networkdriver to support the 3Com 3C940 ethernet driver that can be found elsewhere on the boards. Needed to patch the info.plist to support my network card.

I set the resolution in info.boot.plist and proceeded to boot from the OSX 10.4.8 installation disk and chose to upgrade with only the patched intel extensions, 10.4.4 login window and the base system. This resulted in a stable 8.8.1 Kernel based OS 10.4.8 installation with still working ethernet and correct resolution. A fresh 10.4.8 install from my JaS disk is very crippled and it's a hell of a job to get ethernet working. So the 2-stepped install worked like a charm.

My graphics card was still not recognized properly so next I proceeded to install AGPart to make my system correctly recognize the AGP card as AGP. No Quartz and core image yet. But that was changed when I installed Natit uni 1.0. by then my AGP card was fully recognized and it behaves just like the Ati AGP 6800 Pro in my real macintosh.

The 2nd harddrive had an NTFS partition on it and from within WindowsXP I installed the Vista OS as a dual boot option.

The Vista Multiple Boot menu looks something like this

- prior version of windows

- Vista Home Premium

- OSX 10.4.8 - press f8 for options

So the wonderful thing is that my OSX option is included in the Vista Boot menu as a result and also OSX is still bootable after I select prior version of windows so the WindowsXP dual boot menu is also still intact. So from both the Vista Multiboot and from the WindowsXP menu I can acces OSX still.

Now that was a triple boot option I didn't foresee. I was hoping that it would go something like this

Boot up the system with the looking like this

- prior version of windows

- Vista

And when you select WindowsXP the old multiple boot screen like this

- Windows XP Professional

- OSX 10.4.8 - press f8 for options

Now triple booting my system was very very easy without any difficult third party boot-managers!

On my acer laptop everything works, including the 9700 Radeon Mobility with fixed resolution and mouse artifacts but with functioning core image and quartz. The only thing not working is the Centrino Wifi. But the realtek ethernet NIC is working fine straight after the first install. So on my travelmate 290Lmi the only thing I really have to do is set the resolution in the info.boot.plist configuration file and use Mouselocator with a blank mouse graphics file to get rid of the mouse artifacts.

Arconis True Image is excellent for backing up and restoring the OSX partition. I actually tried out both installations on both my computers and they are easily transferred. OSX seems very flexible when it comes to detecting the right devices at boot.

Has anyone got it to work on 1440x900 res?

(ATI mobility radeon 9700)

Set resolution as follows:

Go to your system disk, double click on the Library Folder, then double click on the Preferences folder and then the System Configuration folder. In this folder you'll see the com.apple.boot.plist file. Drag that one to your desktop and start editing it with Texteditor. It shoudl look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

You'll need to add the following

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"1280x1024x32@60"</string>

With the resolution settings you want, make sure that your card supports it, but I guess your that is your laptop's native resolution.

horizontal resolutionxvertical resolutionxcolordepth@refreshrate

Save the file. Delete the original file in the System configuration folder and replace it with the edited file on your desktop. When you drag it over, the system will ask to authenticate. Fill in your password and reboot. If all goes well your system will now boot at the desired graphicsmode.

Edited by Mark1970

Hi all.

My first post, as everibody can see :)

Need some help.

I've downloaded (from a russian site) this: JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskutil.biker880.ich7-R.patch.Integrated.iso

A dvd, guess with the lastest version around....

IF someone can tell me if this a "right" version to use, i'm much appreciated!

My system is a Core 2 Duo 6400, 2GRam, an ATI x1600, a Sata drive, on a Asrock ConroeXfire-esata2, on a partitioned drive.

I've followed Dinalomo guide.

I don't know if the hardware is capable of running this version, but nevertheless, i've tried.

Install ok, but in middleway, i was away from computer and when came back, nothing...

In the guide from dinalomo guide i'd trouble in the acronis os selector, i've jumped the part from booting from cd/dvd, and did a manual boot from dvd (the instalation went ok as i mentioned before.).

Right now mac wont boot at all.

Can someone give me some clue on waht to do .

Reinstall the osx?

The all thing? including xp?

Thanks a bunch.

I have installed the JAS 10.4.8 with patches included on my Pentium 4 Northwood 2.6gh. I have partitioned exactly the way it says in the guide, and installation went smoothly. However now when i boot, and darwin loads, i get to the white screen with the grey apple logo and after the circular "loading" icon spins for a while, it just stops. that is as far as i can get. I have tried unplugging usb mouse, ps2 keyboard, no luck. should i try without a soundcard / network card? also i have a nvidia geforce3, (intel 845e mobo doesnt have video ) i could swap this graphics card with a geforce 2, but i dont knwo why that woudl help. please get back to me, i've been trying for so long to get this to work.

I have installed the JAS 10.4.8 with patches included on my Pentium 4 Northwood 2.6gh. I have partitioned exactly the way it says in the guide, and installation went smoothly. However now when i boot, and darwin loads, i get to the white screen with the grey apple logo and after the circular "loading" icon spins for a while, it just stops. that is as far as i can get. I have tried unplugging usb mouse, ps2 keyboard, no luck. should i try without a soundcard / network card? also i have a nvidia geforce3, (intel 845e mobo doesnt have video ) i could swap this graphics card with a geforce 2, but i dont knwo why that woudl help. please get back to me, i've been trying for so long to get this to work.

Press f8 when the Darwin bootloader starts, it will give you the opportunity to type in options and switches.

Type -v and Darwin will boot displaying all sorts of information. It will also display any error messages and perhaps by examining this output you'll be able to identifty what is going wrong.

Edited by Mark1970