[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

Really thanks for the guide. Yesterday I successfully installed Mac OS X on my PC. Here are the specs:

Intel Pentium 4(Prescott) 2.4 Ghz with SSE3

Asus P4P800 SE motherboard

ATI Radeon 9200 SE

Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack image

I had the same problem listed here Post#527. I just followed the instructions and everthing went fine. Had to install the ethernet card driver Marvell 88E8001 driver. Nothing more to do than following the instructions.

I am not the only person using this computer so I would like the dual boot to be as hidden as possible and WinXP beeing the default OS. I tried the so called "chain0" method, but I am unable to find the chain0 file(I looked in /usr/standalone/i386, but there is only a file in the folder called boot.efi). For now I setup Acronis OS Selector to boot by default to WinXP and show the menu only if Esc is pressed. But I really want to get rid of Acronis OS Selector, so does anyone knows where I can find this famous chain0 file?

Thanks...

Cheers

At this point you should use the disk utility to select a disk or disk partition (It's on the menu bar along the top of the screen outside of the setup menu). The drive will be greyed out in the disk utility panel - you have to erase it in the Mac journaled format. I'm sure that part is in the instructions at the beginning.

If for some reason it doesn't install - try the ISO I used on my AMD 64 3000+ (mentioned yesterday). But it sounds like you simply haven't followed the detailed instructions quite right from the beginning of this thread. Good luck.

Neither of my HDD's showed up in that Disk Utility thing, was trying to say that but forgot some sentenses -.-

Now I've used this program called VMware Workstation, followed every step. Found my HDD's in the disk utility, erased it in the Mac Journaled format as it says in the guide, the install started, and finally finished. Rebooted, and then my comp said that the partition were.. {censored}ed in some way. Can not get it to work, so damn frustrating. Cannot belive that im not able to make this work, disapointed with myself :mellow:

Neither of my HDD's showed up in that Disk Utility thing, was trying to say that but forgot some sentenses -.-

Now I've used this program called VMware Workstation, followed every step. Found my HDD's in the disk utility, erased it in the Mac Journaled format as it says in the guide, the install started, and finally finished. Rebooted, and then my comp said that the partition were.. {censored}ed in some way. Can not get it to work, so damn frustrating. Cannot belive that im not able to make this work, disapointed with myself :thumbsup_anim:

Are you using SATA or IDE? Try the ISO I recommended a few days ago - mine didn't work with the JAS 10.4.8 thats knocking around, but now with the OSX_AMD_1048_FINAL iso it works sweet, and as your'e running AMD why not give it ago.

You're gonna get probs like this as there are so many hardware configurations out there (unlike Macs). Just got to keep trying until you find one that works.

Got it to work.

1. followed the manual

2. after install, deactivated os selector with disk created with "bootable media builder".

now windows could start again, i got an mbr error before.

3. installed os selector again in windows.

4. added the OsX-partition as another bootable partition in os selector (still windows)

everything worked like a charme.

Started MacOSX.

Bluetooth does work, wifi doesn't (yet???).

my config:

Dell Inspiron 6000

MacOSX_10.4.6DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso

CPU-Z 1.38 report file

Processor(s) Number of processors1Number of cores1 per processorNumber of threads1 (max 1) per processorNameIntel Pentium M 750Code NameDothanSpecificationIntel® Pentium® M processor 1.86GHzPackageSocket 479 mPGAFamily/Model/Stepping6.D.8Extended Family/Model6.DBrand ID22Core SteppingC0Technology90 nmCore Speed797.4 MHzMultiplier x Bus speed6.0 x 132.9 MHzRated Bus speed531.6 MHzStock frequency1866 MHzInstruction setsMMX, SSE, SSE2L1 Data cache32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeL1 Instruction cache32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeL2 cache2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeChipset & Memory NorthbridgeIntel i915PM/GM rev. 03SouthbridgeIntel 82801FBM (ICH6-M) rev. 03Graphic InterfacePCI-ExpressPCI-E Link Widthx16PCI-E Max Link Widthx16Memory TypeDDR2Memory Size2048 MBytesMemory Frequency265.8 MHz (1:2)CAS# Latency (tCL)4.0 clocksRAS# to CAS# (tRDC)4 clocksRAS# Precharge (tRP)4 clocksCycle Time (tRAS)12 clocksSystem System ManufacturerDell Inc.System NameInspiron 6000System S/N*******Mainboard VendorDell Inc.Mainboard Model0UF414BIOS VendorDell Inc.BIOS VersionA09BIOS Date09/28/2005Memory SPD Module 1DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz), 1024 MBytes, InfineonModule 2DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz), 1024 MBytes, InfineonSoftware Windows VersionMicrosoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) DirectX Version9.0c

Okay, i sold my acer laptop, didn't have any use to it.

So now i will try to install Os X to my main computer.

Specs are:

AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+

Nvidia Geforce 6600gt

1gb ddr2

i hope it will work. I'll try to dualboot with Xp Pro.

let's get started :P ->

Tnx dilnalomo :D it works.

Jas 10.4.4 ISO

2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 8IG1000P-G

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Bluetooth works!

Edited by ASh

Okay i'm done!

Works perfectly :thumbsup_anim:

Jas 10.4.8

AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+

Nvidia Geforce 6600gt

1gb ddr2

Everything works but some keys on my keyboard are not working.

any ideas why?

But that's a little problem, doesn't bother too much :superman:

Thankies!

Ok, so I have followed the steps and everything is working pretty good now... well, I created the partition with linux, but oh well... Anywho, I have my DVD burnt but I cant figure out how to boot from it. Never seems to work. I changed DOS setting, tweaked with things, tried a lot of stuff... It just won't boot.

I used "macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.iso" to burn the DVD... Got it from PirateBay :P

Anyones else with this problem, anyone else with success with this image?

Also, I have gotten OSX 10.4.1 running by its self on my computer before using deadmoo's image. But I decided I wanted to upgrade and duel boot.

First i want to congratulate you for this excellent tutorial, i'm about to install OSX when it works i'll translate this guide to spanish... but i want to know if i need a SATA Disk to install OSX or my old IDE will work?.

Thanks a Lot!

First well done nice tutorial.

second works great on my amd 3200+ / asus AI k8n-E/ 1 gb ram/ 250 gb wd/with realtek nic/ which i am on now.

third to bad is does not work on my laptop. i have a ahtec signalG200 intel p4 centrino 512 mb ram. it installs like a charm in about 15 min. it boots up untill the bsd part there it halts like forever. any one have anything usefull to tell me about this?

the iso i used was the myz.

cheers :D

hello everybody, i tried this tutorial. It dont work. I use Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.6.X86-HOTiSO, The installation worked well, but when i want to start it, it stucks at the startup sequenz. i cant type anything or somthing else.

I will ad a Screenshot of the bootsequent later, i'm trying it another time..

My Notebook is a Acer Aspire 1694WLMi

- Intel Centrino 760 2.0 GHz (2MB L2 Cache; 533MHz FSB)

- Arbeitsspeicher 1024MB DDR2 RAM (2 x 512MB), max. 2048MB

- 15.4" Acer CrystalBrite WXGA TFT LCD, 1280 x 800 Pixel Auflösung

- Intel 915PM Express Chipsatz

- 100GB Ultra ATA/100 Festplatte

- Double Layer DVD±RW DualBrenner

- ATI Mobility Radeon X700 mit 256MB

- 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit LAN

- Integriertes Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g)

- 56k v.92 Faxmodem

- 4-in-1 Card-Reader (MMC, SD, MS, MS Pro)

- 3x USB 2.0, FireWire, Infrarot

- S/PDIF out, S-Video out

- Microsoft Windows XP Home

I am going to try this but i will use this iso mentioned in with all the iso options. osx86_10.4.5_amd-intel_sse2-3.iso. I am wondering if i have to get this iso patched? if so how do i do it? cpu-z

specs:

Intel pentium M 740 Code name Dothan 1.73GHz

technology: 90 nm

instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2 - i guess i could do it right sse2?

Core speed: 799 MHz

Memory type: DDR2

Size: 512mb :thumbsup_anim:

Chipset: intel i913GMS/i910GML

I have success. Mine was on a Toshiba Satellite laptop (A55-S106). A little old, I know. I used Jas 10.4.8 DVD. I had to copy the IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.6 over the one that came on the DVD to enable LAN networking (worked INSTANTLY on next boot after copying it over and repairing disk permissions). I still don't have internal wi-fi card working yet.

UPDATE--INTERNAL WI-FI ALSO WORKS NOW!!!

Took some major surfing, but I found the following guide (I know there are others that say basically the same thing, but THIS got it working for me).

Guide to get Atheros AR5005G working in 10.4.8

The thing is, my Dev ID starts with 2 zeroes. 001D If you leave those in when editing .kext files, it won't work. This person's example showed me I should leave the leading zeroes off. Also, configure your Airport with "Internet Connect." Doing it through "Network Preferences" got me a password incorrect error every time, despite having the right PW.

Sound worked off the bat, as did touch pad.

Strange thing though is after the install, the system hangs at the gray apple screen. So, I booted off the DVD again, clicked everything again (now it's called 'upgrade' instead of 'install.') If you let it upgrade, then it will boot just fine. However, it will make itself the default boot partition, not going to Acronis selector.

Use the guide that tells you to boot of the DVD, use the terminal to fdisk your partitions and set your Windows partition active. Reboot. Then it'll take you to windows where you can re-activate the OS Selector. After that, the system dual boots perfectly.

I know, a lot of strange steps. But the approach still works. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the same way with the same results.

Anyone know how to get the wireless networking working on this laptop? It's reported in Windows XP as an Atheros AR5005G.

Edited by preachercrash

Hi there folks...

I wanted to post my success with this guide on a

IBM T42

512 MB Ram

1.8 MHz

40GB HardDrive

Image Jas 10.4.6

Now I will try to get the integrated bluetooth and wireless running

Keep up the good work, and thank you for the magnificant guide

Slim

Edited by SlimSelim

10.4.6 myz iso

using asus a3g laptop (bought in taiwan)

-ati mobility radeon 9700 (mac detects 9600)

-pentium m (centrino) 1.7ghz

-ac97 sound

everything works well!

except for, weird video issues, like redrawing parts of the screen when the mouse moves.... kind of annoying...

also, no brightness controls for my screen.

and when i just close my screen, and open it back up, the whole system freezes.....

vlc runs all videos good except, it has crashed in full screen mode a few times.

i guess video issues are the most predominant.... wish i had an nvidia card in here!

as a side note..... on the road to getting osx installed, i converted my ntfs formatted media drive (with all my pics, music, vids, etc.) to fat32 cuz i heard osx can't write to ntfs.... it was stupid of me to try something like that without backign up.... but partition magic in windows gave me the same option and didn't give me any warnings.... for some reason it ended up not working..... so i did it at the same time i was repartitioning my main drive to make room for osx..... used a boot cd... running linus... i think gparted did the conversion.... anyways, rebooted windows to find the entire contents gone..... wish i wasn't so stupid! managed to get some of my stuff back (with getdataback)... but there's about a year and a half worth of pictures and videos i will never get back.... anyone know the best way to recover files after such a retarted move?? i'm using a freeware prog called 'pc inspector file recovery'... 900 minutes left in its scan.... has already founf 400 files.... we'll see....

anyways, still have a lot more playing around to do, but mac os x should be great.........

ryan

athomeabroad.blogspot.com

10.4.6 myz iso

using asus a3g laptop (bought in taiwan)

-ati mobility radeon 9700 (mac detects 9600)

-pentium m (centrino) 1.7ghz

-ac97 sound

everything works well!

except for, weird video issues, like redrawing parts of the screen when the mouse moves.... kind of annoying...

also, no brightness controls for my screen.

and when i just close my screen, and open it back up, the whole system freezes.....

vlc runs all videos good except, it has crashed in full screen mode a few times.

i guess video issues are the most predominant.... wish i had an nvidia card in here!

as a side note..... on the road to getting osx installed, i converted my ntfs formatted media drive (with all my pics, music, vids, etc.) to fat32 cuz i heard osx can't write to ntfs.... it was stupid of me to try something like that without backign up.... but partition magic in windows gave me the same option and didn't give me any warnings.... for some reason it ended up not working..... so i did it at the same time i was repartitioning my main drive to make room for osx..... used a boot cd... running linus... i think gparted did the conversion.... anyways, rebooted windows to find the entire contents gone..... wish i wasn't so stupid! managed to get some of my stuff back (with getdataback)... but there's about a year and a half worth of pictures and videos i will never get back.... anyone know the best way to recover files after such a retarted move?? i'm using a freeware prog called 'pc inspector file recovery'... 900 minutes left in its scan.... has already founf 400 files.... we'll see....

anyways, still have a lot more playing around to do, but mac os x should be great.........

ryan

athomeabroad.blogspot.com

Hey guys, I'm on OSX 10.4.8 right now after following this tutorial, so I guess you can count me as a success.

I have a:

6800GS 256MB AGP

Intel Prescott 3.2 GHZ

2 GB Corsair XMS at 2-3-3-6

ONE LITTLE PROBLEM THOUGH

I can't get back into Windows.

The brushed metal is cool, but I want an operating system that can run more than a little under 10 Apple-developed programs back. When I reboot, there is no option asking me which OS I want to boot into, it will just say "SOMETHIGN KERNEL" really fast, and then it boots into OSX. I put in the OSX install disc again, and Acronis asks me if I want to boot from it. I say no by pressing F8, which takes me to the volumes to boot from, and ONLY JAS' OSX IS THERE! NO XP! I followed the steps exactly, except for the fact that I installed with Primary first. While in OSX, I can see everything in my Windows partition, yet it wont boot from there!

I got a problem here, OS X takes too long to load the setup (verbose mode) and when it finishes loading the installer, all i get is a stupid blue screen with a mouse cursor in the top left corner that doesn't move when i use the mouse. It worked the first time, but never worked after that. I really want this on my laptop andwould really appreciate it if someone provided some assistance.

Okay, A little slow here but.. I've gotten it running on my computer and I thought I should say so to contribute back to this comunity of incredible people. Here's my hardware specs

Its a little different since mine is an Asus A8Jc. but basically, core 2 duo 1.7ghz, 1 gb ram, 90gb hdd with xp and openSuSE on other partitions (just playing around). I'm trying to get the wireless to work, hopefully will post here with the mac OS soon!

edit: okay, never mind.. My wireless card (Intel 3945ABG) is not support.. *cries* just too bad for me then!

Edited by pu_rplecow

Excellent guide, but I encountered an issue. I installed it, with SSE3, and booted up, and it goes to 'Darwin loader', shows a bunch of scrolling text, then everything fades away except this text. After like 15 seconds, it reboots my machine. It never gets passed that.

insanelymac1.jpeg

Thanks guys, and great job on this whole thing. I hope you can help me.

If you can't read the error or whatever it is, here:

Darwin Kernal Version 8.4.1: Tue Jan 3 10:23:53 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.7.98.obj~1/RELEASE_I386

^^I think thats what it says.

Video: [ http://daxleetz.net/insanelymac.avi ]

I took a video to show you what happens.

Edited by daxleet

I'm Having Problems Installing: Here are My specs

HP Pavilion Slimline PC s7613w

AMD Sempron Processor 3400+

512 MB of Memory

160GB 7200RPM ATA HD

SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphics with TurboCache supporting up to 256MB shared Video memory

Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g

(Yes I still Have the 0riginal Box for it :whistle:

The Problem is that, Everytime i put in my 0SX86 CD, It won't detect my Hard drive, I have no idea whats going on Please HELP