[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

K, well after some pain i added the timeout thing to boot.plist whatever (using a usb enclosure and editing on my old mac).

I am now able to boot with Darwin startup options

when i chose -v option and booted:

it all seems pretty good:got boot device, starting virtual memory, configuring kernel extension, resetting ioCatologue,

first error appears : kextd[34]: a link/load error occurred for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext

it keeps going after that though, aka it doesnt freeze there.

it seems like the next part is where it goes wrong: (** just means date and time)

NVDA::probe(display)

match category exists, skipping NVDA ::start(display) <1>

**kextd[25]: kextd_watch_volumes: couldn't set up diskarb sessions

**localhost mDNSResponder-108.2 (AUG 25 2006)[51]: starting

**localhost DirectoryService[68]: Launched version 2.1

**localhost configd[55]: No Airport Driver found.

**localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

**localhost mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default bMacintosh-000000000000b insted

**localhost mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default bMacintosh-000000000000b.local instead

**localhost mDNSResponder: Adding browse domain local.

and its frozen after that. That whole mDNSResponder thing seems to be the trouble, it cant find my name or soemthing (maybe cause i never entered it) but anyways, i dont know, someone plz help.

Edited by pathofkarma

much thanks - this worked extremely well for me. now to figure out how to make XP the default in Darwin...

Go here and look at my 8400 setup that I tripple booted linux, windows and OS/X. I had many problems with the Mac bootloader, windows bootloader is a joke, and fedora core 6 bootloader set up in ten minutes, it even gives a option to name your partitions in the bootloader menu.

HCL 10.4.6/Desktops - OSx86

Press f8 when the Darwin bootloader starts, it will give you the opportunity to type in options and switches.

Type -v and Darwin will boot displaying all sorts of information. It will also display any error messages and perhaps by examining this output you'll be able to identifty what is going wrong.

I think there may be a ISO going around with a bad Kernel, I had the same thing with a JAS10.4.8 intel,amd, sse2,sse3.iso I tried everything I seen here on the boards to get a menu or a boot to safe mode with no luck, then I got a copy of 10.4.6 and it loaded perfectly in my Dell Dimension 8400 and 3000, I had some probems with sound and a broadcom NIC on the 8400 but all is well now thanks to this site. I'm very new to Macs and this will be my trial before buying a Macmini. So far I like the mac.

WOOT, add me to the success counter. I finally got it to work on my P4 2.26ghz northwood, 1gb ram, intel d845ebt motherboard, geforce3 ti200, pci512 soundblaster. used a usb mouse and ps2 keyboard the whole time for setting up. acronis works.

JAS 10.4.7, with sse2 for my system.

a note - a jas 10.4.8 i got was getting frozen on the grey apple loading screen after installing. I think it is just a bad version or something, cause this one worked without any effort whatsoever.

MY NEW PROBLEM!!!

I now have the following setup and would like some input

Primary Hard drive controlloer

DISK 0 - Partition 1 - Windows XP NTFS

Partition 2 - Mac osX JAS 10.4.7

DISK 1 - Partition 1 - Windows Vista (secondary drive)

I am having trouble with it because os selector cant seem to see vista as a valid thing to boot from. I used the method wehere you put the three files (boot.ini, ntdetect.com, and ntldr) into the vista drive.

my boot.ini looks like this

[boot loader]

;timeout=10

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinVista" /fastdetect

so, i think there may be a problem with os selector (acronis), or even darwin, finding the Vista os when its on the second disk. can anyone plz give me an answer, im sick of unplugging this stupid hard drive cables every time i want to boot to vista (it works when the hard drive is the only one and is on the end of the cable (primary). thanks

allright, got osx (10.4.8) booting and running, but its slow like {censored}, cant even use the mouse or the keyboard, because the mouse/keyboard moves so slow. Tryed Touchpad and USB cabel mouse (also usb keyboard). I can use only usb, because my laptop doesnt have ps/2

Any solution?

Using "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3"

on a

Dell Inspiron 9400

I followed the XP + OSX guide and it works great. Thank You!

But, then I tried to use the same meathod for installation on a Vista PC and I have a problem. I used the build of Acronis that supports Vista, and the OS selector would load with the option to boot Vista. Then I created a primary partition and installed OS X on it. After rebooting my computer boots right into OS X with no OS selector options. I see that skot had the same issue but he solved it with a different OS selector.

Does anyone know how I can get the OS selector working. Should I use the Vista DVD to restore the windows MBR, or should i use the terminal to make the Vista partition the main partion?

Does someone know?

Thanks

I've had a look through this post and haven't found an answer, but if anyone knows it then please point me in the right direction & apologies if I missed it (there's a lot of pages!)

I am using: Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1]

my PC:

Foxconn motherboard with intel 945 chipset

Pentium D 3.4Ghz, 2Gb DDR2 RAM, nVidia GeForce 7950GT 256Mb

Sony BWU-100A BD drive, 4 x IDE internal hard drives

my main HDD is 160Gb with 12Gb for XP, 12Gb for OSX and the rest for Vista, I already have Vista and XP installed

I installed it (I think) OK, it rebooted when I wasn't around, but booted to a DOS looking screen and the wife turned the PC off. I chose common drivers and SSE3 to be installed

now if I boot to the OSX partition I get the grey apple then something pops up saying I need to restart, hold down the power button

it does this every time now (a couple of times at first it had a circle with a cross through it over the Apple logo)

any ideas?

do I need to reinstall OSX?

I can still get into XP and Vista

any help would be gratefully received

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump but I've been trying to do this for 4 days now, Mac installs fine but when I go to select it from the list of Operting Systems to boot into it does the Grey Apple Logo screen for about 20 seconds then goes onto a light blue screen and nothing happens after that, I have tried to set the Mac parition to active it does the same thing, I am using the JaS 10.4.7 ISO.

You can see the specs of my laptop here. Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks.

Stevey.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using 10.4.6DVDpatched.myz on my Intel 2.4ghz,Intel Perl Motherboard, nvidia 256m video card for a few month now and all works great.

Whats my best option to upgrade it to 10.4.8 or possible 10.4.9

Is there a new version of dvdpatched.myz.

I had no luck with other versions like jaS with my setup

my cpu uses sse2

Cheers

Hi!

I tried using 10.4.6 on a separate IDE HDD, and when booting it froze at the grey bootscreen with the line through the circle, but it was a long time ago. I have gotten it to work in VMWare, but it is ungodly slow, probably because it's running through XP (I've got enough hardware to run it well).

I'm going to try again in a few days, and I had one question. Is there a way to run Windows in OSX?Like, some kind of virtualization. If so, do things like wifi/sound work through it? That might be a good idea for using the net on osx if osx can't connect.

Sorry if this sounds really noobish,

When I want to install Mac OS X, I put the burned DVD of the Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2] iso in my drive and restart my computer. When it starts up again it goes straight to Vista, nothing about pressing a button for Mac OS X. I have tried manually booting from my Cd drive, but it still goes straight to Vista. Is there a simple fix to this? I burned the iso with Nero express.

Thanks

hey nice guide..but im just stuck with the burning process ^_^

i have downloaded the MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso there is a 6gb image file..how do i get that on a dvd? my dvd's is onley 4.7 gb...do i need to by bigger ones?

also what am i to do with these files? they are not par of the tiger-x86-flat.img som how do i get the on the dvd?

sorry if i sound like a noob, i don't normaly have thes problems :rolleyes:

tiger-x86.nvram

tiger-x86.vmdk

tiger-x86.vmsd

tiger-x86.vmx

vmware-0.log

vmware-1.log

vmware-2.log

vmware.log

• 1 month later...
Guest pokguy

:) wow this works wonderfully!!!

i am going to try this again on my other machine.

thanks for the nice tut dude!

I just installed 10.4.9 on my Compaq Evo N800c laptop (P4m 1.7gHz, 1gb ram, 60gb hd, ATI Radeon Mobility 7500). Install went great, after I restart and select MacOS the grey apple screen comes up and a bunch of text scrolls down and then I get a black box in the middle of the screen that says I need to restart by holding down the power button. It keeps doing this over and over. Has anyone come across this and if so what does it mean with my install?

• 2 weeks later...

hello. im a newbie here. i've tried installing mac osx 10.4.6 before and got no problem until i updated it to 10.4.6 w/o reading instructions first. but hey i 've learnt my lesson. anyway, i reinstalled mac but it wont show up in my acronis os selector anymore. im also using windows xp by the way. i tried deactivating acronis hoping that i could get the dual boot options from windows or darwin but to no avail. by the way, i have my pc partitioned into 3 drives. the 1st one is primary for windows xp (ntfs), 2nd one is extended for mac (0xAF (ShagOS swap)), and the last one is logical for file storage (fat32). at first i couldnt reformat 2nd partition to extended journaled so i followed the instructions from wiki osx86 installation guide for dual booting windows xp and mac osx 10.4.6. that means to say that i ceated that mac partition using diskpart command in windows but i had the partitioning done using acronis disk director suite 10. going back, i can only boot mac using the dvd. so how do i boot mac w/o using the dvd again? your help is surely appreciated. thanks a lot! god bless!

by the way, here's the link of the instructions i followed:

http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/05/...ndows-computer/

Hello Leute,

I am new to this forum...as i have chosen designing field as my career.i got suggestion from various websites,that MAC OS is best in performance when compared to vista.

so i am trying to install Mac OS ( 10.4.9) in my notebook for the past 4 days.

everything in vain :hysterical:

MY notebook config:

AMD turion X2 1.67GHZ

2 GB RAM

128 ATI graphic card

120 GB HDD

I downloaded Mac oS x from torrentspy.

when i try to install according to ur suggestions...always i am struck at the same pt

Select Destination...

I couldnot find any drive in that.

I used paragon partion manager to partion 25GB of HDD...in FAT32 and set as primary

In Mac installation, using disk utility i formated again the 25GB drive with mac journaled.

even after erasing..i am not getting that drive in the location.

my location remains empty..

please help meee

• 4 weeks later...

Hy everyone;

first sorry for bad english, :D

second: I "buy" Mac os x 10.4.7 Tiger on DVD, when I put DVD in DVD ROM in Win-Vista, its nothing hapend, when i try to open DVD I get message: "The disc might be corrupt. Make sure that disc uses a format that windows recognizes. If the disc is unformattes, you need to format it before using it."

I have try open it form Slax LINUX, there is not recognizes DVD.

Is someone knows what problem is?

Once agin sorry for bad englis! :€

Hello there. I am using Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack.

I am trying to dual boot with XP. I reach step 5 Convert your partition for osx, however am only being offered my dvd drive, and not my HDD.

I tried both options of creating a FAT32 Primary of 20GB after my XP and FAT32 Logical, but still don't see my HDD.

I am not terribly computer literate, but wonder if it could be a compatability issue and wonder if I download a different ISO image I may have better luck...?

I have tested my HP Pavillion and found it is SSE2 and SSE3 compatible.

Can you help at all?

• 3 weeks later...
Hello there. I am using Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack.

I am trying to dual boot with XP. I reach step 5 Convert your partition for osx, however am only being offered my dvd drive, and not my HDD.

I tried both options of creating a FAT32 Primary of 20GB after my XP and FAT32 Logical, but still don't see my HDD.

I am not terribly computer literate, but wonder if it could be a compatability issue and wonder if I download a different ISO image I may have better luck...?

I have tested my HP Pavillion and found it is SSE2 and SSE3 compatible.

Can you help at all?

Good luck Seanyboy!!!

I've been searching this one topic all night looking for that answer...

Seems like for over a year, every time this question is brought up it just gets ignored!!!

I'm kinda thinkin it must have something to do with your whole setup, coz I have a HP Pavillion dv1000ea I think... Well it was bought in the UK and it's doing the same bs thing not showing any physical drives other than my DVD!!!

Annoying...

Can you help at all?

Could be a driver problem? You should always display proper hardware details to get proper help; there is so much diverse hardware out there, so many reasons can occur.

If your hd is connected through sata protocol, then a quick search on InsanelyMac gave me the following thread:

"Hard Drive not visible!?! Plase Help!, My Hard Drive is not visible from install destination screen"

(The search words were "pavillon" and "detect")

If that is your case, consult the last post of that thread for a possible solution.

Don't hesitate to use the search function here, or the wiki, to look for similar problems and possible solutions.

Good luck.

Good luck Seanyboy!!!

I've been searching this one topic all night looking for that answer...

Seems like for over a year, every time this question is brought up it just gets ignored!!!

I'm kinda thinkin it must have something to do with your whole setup, coz I have a HP Pavillion dv1000ea I think... Well it was bought in the UK and it's doing the same bs thing not showing any physical drives other than my DVD!!!

Annoying...

Finally I've managed to get past the non visable disk drive phaze...

For all those who have searched to no avail (Seanboy) here's how I done it and I hope it works for everyone else...

After hearing about how Mac likinh the drive your installing on to be physically after the main drive, with my laptop I took this litterally and changed the pre-partitioned D: drive "HP Recovery" to H:

I then resized the C: drive to what I wanted leaving an unallocated portion which required a restart.... After restart I opened Diskpart (win + R - Diskpart)

I then used the instructions from another tutorial to create the new "af" type partition

Restarted with the Mac OS X 10.4.6 x86 Install DVD (Jas) disk in drive.

Then I was able to continue with this tutorial...

It worked for me... Hope it helps