[HowTo] XP + OSX 10.4.4-10.4.8 native dual boot

1,615 posts in this topic

help me out

i got 10.4.7 jas dvd

i got the could not write partition map error ..........so i converted my partition to shagOS swap(is it correct or should i have to convert it to shagOS native)???????

installation went fine

but when rebooted acronis did not ditect the osx partition

so after booting to windows i kept the boot flag to my osx ------- and i got mbr error(fixed it with ubuntu live cd)

where am i going wrong plzzz help me

Edited by avenger

Everything went fine up until the reboot after installing OS X. Acronis OS selector gave me an error saying boot drive (partition) wasn't found.

Turns out my Windows partition and data partition got deleted(found a large chunk of unallocated space in Vista installer).

OS X was installed on a logical partition(it wouldn't mount primaries for some reason), so I now have no way of converting it to a primary, and I have no way of turning off the OS Selector. I tried repair the MBR with FDisk, but it didn't work. I don't know where ANY of my XP install CDs are, and my Vista DVD doesn't want to install on a brand new partition for some reason(formatted in Vista installer).

I was thinking of onverting the whole hard drive to a blank NTFS partition, installing Vista, and going from there, but I don't want to spend all that time deleting the OSX partition, formatting the partition, and combining it with the other NTFS partition(Vista installer is REALLY slow)

So yeah...can anyone help me?

EDIT: I made it all one big partition anyways. It's letting me install Vista now. I'm gonna leave the entire post here in case people have a similar probelm...it *may* help them.

Edited by GemaRawr

First of all thanks for posting this guide!

I managed to install Mac os and I can boot from os selector.

Too bad it hangs while loading and stops. a white cursor blinks in the left corner.

I'll a screenshot of my configuration and a screenshot so you can see where it stops loading

I hope somebody can help me with it

post-75687-1168644159_thumb.jpg

post-75687-1168644255_thumb.jpg

Having a HUGE :censored2: problem right now...

EVERY SINGLE :censored2: DVD ISO BURNING SOFTWARE I HAVE USED HAS ONLY PUT 180 KILOBYTES OF DATA ON THE DVD. I'VE TRIED SONIC, NERO, POWERISO, ALCHOHOL120%, MAGICISO, ULTRAISO, AND IMGBURN!!! WAHT THE :censored2: DO I NEED TO DO TO BURN MY :censored2: DVD!?!?!?!? ALL I GET IS AN APPLE LOGO, A TWERLY THING, THEN... A BIG X OVER THE APPLE!

First of all thanks for posting this guide!

I managed to install Mac os and I can boot from os selector.

Too bad it hangs while loading and stops. a white cursor blinks in the left corner.

I'll a screenshot of my configuration and a screenshot so you can see where it stops loading

I hope somebody can help me with it

Can anyone help me please!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, i want to install this real bad. i have a good iso ( from the supported list ) and a procesor with all the requrements.

but when i boot from the dvd ir displays this error:

09-0934128570T.jpg

09-1105541791T.jpg

So could someone please tell me whats the problem? and what to do.id be thankfull

my pc is amd athlon 64

1gb of ddr2 ram

Hi - I recently went through the installing OSX on the following spec:

Athlon 64 3000+ (2 ghz)

1 gig ram

Mobo: K8VT800M

80 gb IDE HD

It's now installed and rock solid and dual bootable with XP. I did the following which is a mix of the guide given at the beginnning of this post with a few differences. You also need to download SPFdisk from (http://spfdisk.sourceforge.net/Spf2K3rE.exe) and put the .exe on a blank floppy (so that it's bootable). This only applies to AMD CPU's with the stated ISO.

1. Downloaded 'OSX_1048_AMD _FINAL' (a 2.5 gig rar) unpackand then burn to DVDr as an iso.

I'm a complete noob at this and I don't know the finer details but the ISO seems to include everything you need.

2. Partitioned the HD with Acronis, making a 20-40gb (or larger) FAT32 Primary partition. Then Reboot if asked to.

*Do not activate Acronis OS selector yet*

3. Go to the the 'run' command in the Start menu (when you have rebooted if req'd)

Then type the following without quotes and hit Enter after everyline

'Diskpart' [Enter]

'list disk' [Enter]

'select disk' (then the number of your disk, usually 0) [Enter]

'list partition' [Enter]

'select partition' (followed by the number of your osx partition - don't worry you'll be able to see all partitions) [Enter]

'active' (if this doesn't work, try 'set active' without quotes) [Enter]

Then close the Run window.

4. Reboot your PC with the above mentioned ISO in DVD drive.

5. It will then reboot. Mine came up with a black blank screen with a white cursor in the top left hand corner and did nothing for ages. So fearing it hadn't worked I put the SPFdisk in the floppy drive to reboot - then things started happening, a prompt asking me to press a any key (which I did) then a Darwin message came up then it started booting from the DVD!

6. Initally this was reasonably slowish just mostly black screen with masses of white writing as shown at the beginning of this thread. Eventually got to the set-up Mac display. NOW FOLLOW PART 2 from the beginning of this post. At the customise stage of PART 2 just leave as is - there is nothing you need to change.

7. When you have finished installing and everything seems cool - reboot and it will reboot bringing you to the fourth from last screen mentioned in the last part of PART 3: DUAL BOOTING (the 4 black and white screens just above the section titled 'Post Installation Stuff').

8. It then asks you to 'press any key to enter startup options' (if you don't it will boot OSX) - Press any key.

9. You'll then be asked to select a startup volume (as shown in the 3rd to last picture of PART 3: DUAL BOOTING at the beginning of this thread).

10. Select the windows volume. Windows XP will now bootup and load.

11. Activate the Acronis OS selector, install it then reboot when asked.

12. Then follow PART 3: DUAL BOOTING Steps 6 to 8 (at the beginning of this thread) and you'e there.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse poeple further, I felt I needed to post as the method described earlier in it's stated form didn't work for me - however with a few tweaks it works fine. OSX boots quickly now and identifies my CPU, Nvidia Car etc. :hysterical:

Success too! :thumbsup_anim:

my laptop is acer travelmate 2423wxmi

Celeron M 370 1,5gh

512ddr RAM

Intel integrated graphics accelerator 900.

I used JaS OS 10.4.8

Only bad thing here is it doesn't let me log in :thumbsup_anim: it asks name and password, even i put them right it says they are wrong.

Guess what? I have a NEW PROBLEM!!!

I did that bood with -v thing (thanks to avangee) and guess what i get now... Scrolling white text (expected) then it hangs/freeses with a cursor thing at the bottom of the screen. WHAT THE :) IS THE PROBELM NOW!?!?!

If I'm just too impatient, let me know, but the DVD light stops and there is no CPU activity...

Oh dear, i wasn't successfull at all at the end.

Now it won't boot anymore. Well it was really SLOW at first time too, but at least worked somehow.

But now it always stucks to the "waiting for IFC" thing.

Cold it be that the hardware in my laptop is just too slow? even it is listed as compatible to os x x86 on wiki.

because when it first time booted succesfully yeasterday it took like 5minutes to start safari.

Hey, im new to this but it didnt seem too complicated.

I've followed every step before Part 2: Installing OSX x86. The install thing runs like it's supposed to, but when I get to the step where you choose where you want to install it, there's just an empty list. All I can see is the DVD thats in my DVD... There must be something I do wrong at the partition creation, but I cant figure out the problem. Saw that another guy had this problem, but I couldnt find an answer after his post. God I hope this thing will work, OSX is sweet ;)

trying to install it on:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (SSE2 and SSE3 supported)

1024mb DDR RAM

Win XP Home Edition SP2

NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT 512mb

149gb SATA HDD (Couldnt find the name, think its a seagate)

Using this ISO:

Mac-OS-x-10.4.7-AMD.Intel(JaS)-ISO-Repack

Edited by nilleftw

Hey I have tried out your tutorial because I had little success with my mac setup on my dell.

IT WORKS!

It is like the best one that I have used and Acronis is not that slow. I am using the Dell Inspiron 1300 with the JaS 10.4.6 ISO with all the nice fixes and added on with the 10.4.7 update also done by JaS. And everything apart from the Sigmatel 9200 Sound works.

Okay, i think my problem was that i didn't install GMA 900 drivers. now i installed and it boots nicely. I just have to do the wire trick to the monitor output i think.

Still it's damn slow, i think it's because of my slaggy HW. :)

Hey, im new to this but it didnt seem too complicated.

I've followed every step before Part 2: Installing OSX x86. The install thing runs like it's supposed to, but when I get to the step where you choose where you want to install it, there's just an empty list. All I can see is the DVD thats in my DVD... There must be something I do wrong at the partition creation, but I cant figure out the problem. Saw that another guy had this problem, but I couldnt find an answer after his post. God I hope this thing will work, OSX is sweet :)

trying to install it on:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (SSE2 and SSE3 supported)

1024mb DDR RAM

Win XP Home Edition SP2

NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT 512mb

149gb SATA HDD (Couldnt find the name, think its a seagate)

Using this ISO:

Mac-OS-x-10.4.7-AMD.Intel(JaS)-ISO-Repack

At this point you should use the disk utility to select a disk or disk partition (It's on the menu bar along the top of the screen outside of the setup menu). The drive will be greyed out in the disk utility panel - you have to erase it in the Mac journaled format. I'm sure that part is in the instructions at the beginning.

If for some reason it doesn't install - try the ISO I used on my AMD 64 3000+ (mentioned yesterday). But it sounds like you simply haven't followed the detailed instructions quite right from the beginning of this thread. Good luck.

Just finished installing OSX on my AMD 3200 everything seems to be working fine but tried the Jas DVD which was a failur

but downloaded the Tubgirl version from Piratebate which worked like a charm..

and i used Dilnalomo's guide to install

my sepcs are

AMD 3200 Venice core

1gb OCZ Gold dual channel

Asus A8n32 Delux mobo

Radeon x300 video (runing on 1024/768)

soundblaster PCI working.