[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

Wow, seems quite a few are getting Debugger/Kernel panics...

I would suggest to you all that you make a seperate topic for them, because my knowledge of Darwin is extremely limited (I'm more of a GUI guy instead of command lines and code, etc...).

I'm sorry I can't help you guys anymore... It's strange that it works for some but not for others... It's all about hardware.

Once again, sorry... :D

thanks SABR,

it works almost perfectly on my pata drive.

only thing is the marvell yukon that is killing me, since in the drivers section, they are still in development and i dont know if i want to try something that is sort of risky.

LKU1, I found a topic that may interest you!

nForce SATA Workaround

Ok i keep getting the PAE error as well, i made the changes that Vmware said to do, but it did noting different. I keep getting the error.

My CPU does have SSE2 so it should still work, i can boot to it manualy but not through VMware. Can anyone help me as what to do next.

Greg

Ok i keep getting the PAE error as well, i made the changes that Vmware said to do, but it did noting different. I keep getting the error.

My CPU does have SSE2 so it should still work, i can boot to it manualy but not through VMware. Can anyone help me as what to do next.

Greg

If you can boot the DVD manually, but not through VMWare, then why do you need to use it?

If i were to format the new parition that i jsut created, then it would remove the active partition from the other partition.

I did make a bootable CD for partition magic, so i can enter FDSIK and change the active partion, but i dont want to take any risks at all.

Greg

If i were to format the new parition that i jsut created, then it would remove the active partition from the other partition.

I did make a bootable CD for partition magic, so i can enter FDSIK and change the active partion, but i dont want to take any risks at all.

Greg

Well... I can't help you anymore then :(

You may have to use the bootable CD for Partition Magic... It should be fine.

I hope you get it sorted :)

I'm getting a missing file shal.dll i believe it is .. why does this occur? I can run the system in vmware (having it physically installed on the disc) , but when i try an actual start up it freezes during the verbose look a like startup... any suggestions?

I'm getting a missing file shal.dll i believe it is .. why does this occur? I can run the system in vmware (having it physically installed on the disc) , but when i try an actual start up it freezes during the verbose look a like startup... any suggestions?

Can I see a picture of it? Or atleast can you type out the main error in Verbose mode?

:)

I would like to first thank SABR for a great guide. I have spent days trying to get OSX to install natively without any joy but had no problems installing onto a clean Drive using the VMWARE approach.

My problem is that now I have successfully installed OSX it crashes during the boot up with the following message.

My system is

AMD 64 3000+

2 Gig mem

Nvida 5700

OSX version JAS 10.4.6

I realise I have to repair permissions and run AMD enabler but I’m not able to do so.

I have selected the correct AMD options during boot up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Jon

error.bmp

error.bmp

Hey Jonpage...

Thanks for the nice comments! I enjoyed making the guide....

Anyway, the problem your having is probably better off being talked about in a different section of the forum (PC Forum -- OSx86 Installation), since I am really no good with errors like the above. That is one of the main reasons I decided to make this guide - because it was a simple and easy way to install without having to go through command lines, etc...

I'm sorry I can't help you any further, however, I'm sure you'll get this problem solved if you ask here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showforum=18

:poster_oops:

Not too sure what that's about... You might want to have a read here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...isk0s1+io+error

and then do some searching of your own. It does seem it's a problem that isn't too hard to solve. One guy in that thread says to use DiskWarrior: http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

Good luck in getting it to work! ;)

Ok, I have done all the steps, and got the Chain0 file from the net, and installedd OS X to a partition on my ony Hard drive. Even after modding Boot.ini, upon boot, I have no option for OSX, and When I get back into XP, the boot.ini file is missing the last line of code, and looks like it did b4. Can u send me a chain0 file and your instructions on the boot.ini, just in case the ones I used were messed up? Thanks!

Ok, I have done all the steps, and got the Chain0 file from the net, and installedd OS X to a partition on my ony Hard drive. Even after modding Boot.ini, upon boot, I have no option for OSX, and When I get back into XP, the boot.ini file is missing the last line of code, and looks like it did b4. Can u send me a chain0 file and your instructions on the boot.ini, just in case the ones I used were messed up? Thanks!

Hey... Glad it installed good for you!

I don't have those files, so you'll want to go here for information on chain0, boot.ini etc... http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=4749

:lol:

hi all,

can i just confirm that when we map a physical disk that it is a scsi disk in vmware?

i've created a mapping to a physical drive, but it keeps appearing as a scsi disk.

when i try to view it in disk utility inside osx, i can't find it at all

any help is much appreciated!

EDIT: Srry for the double post, but I fixed my previous problem. but Now...Thanks for the guide. After all is said an done, When I reboot and select OS X, It says Chain Boot Error. Osx is installed on a partition on my main drive using your vmware method. I did the modifying of the boot.ini, and the Chain0....

EDIT: Srry for the double post, but I fixed my previous problem. but Now...Thanks for the guide. After all is said an done, When I reboot and select OS X, It says Chain Boot Error. Osx is installed on a partition on my main drive using your vmware method. I did the modifying of the boot.ini, and the Chain0....

Hmmm, there is a guy in the dual booting thread who had the same problem - but he has now fixed it. Go have a read here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=90720

First off, thanks for the guide

Second off, when I tried to partition my DMA HD with the disk utility in the installer, I got an "Invalid Argument" error. Now it refuses to partition the disk unless I wipe it completely (windows install is on this drive) and in partition magic it shows my whole drive as unallocated space. What should I do?

Hardware:

Amd Athlon 64 3200+ venice

Asus A8N5X

1 gig Ram

10.4.4 Install disk

I too, get the "Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA" error..

OS X installation then proceeds to hang. Others have mentioned that they got past this, but not how!

Anyone please?

cheers

Mark

hey ya, thanks a bunch for this one. for some reason my computer refused to load the darwin installer off the disk, i even burned it 3 times. this helped a ton though.

curruntly the install is about half way done and i shoudl have it up and running in no time.