[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

hey ya, thanks a bunch for this one. for some reason my computer refused to load the darwin installer off the disk, i even burned it 3 times. this helped a ton though.

curruntly the install is about half way done and i shoudl have it up and running in no time.

Glad it worked for you! :)

Hope it turns out ok after the install... Let us know!

Glad it worked for you! :censored2:

Hope it turns out ok after the install... Let us know!

yea well it installed fine and all, but i can't boot it natively. if i set its hdd first in the boot order, it just skips over to the windows xp booter. then i tired chain0, but it gives me an error the instant i select it, like it doesnt detect an installation at all. i was thinkinig maybe i should try a separate boot loader all together. in that case, which one is the best.

Did I miss something, I had an SSE2 Proc, now I have a SSE3 Proc so I just notice that the same Installation reports diferent in VMware than Native, in VMware I can see in the boot and System Profiler the SSE3 flag but not in native.

Did I miss something, I had an SSE2 Proc, now I have a SSE3 Proc so I just notice that the same Installation reports diferent in VMware than Native, in VMware I can see in the boot and System Profiler the SSE3 flag but not in native.

It'll be the kernel you're using. I had this problem, but then I made my own kernel: kernel + AMD Patch was all I did, and now in system profiler it reports I have SSE3.

@ sadiekiller: try this: http://gag.sourceforge.net/

It'll be the kernel you're using. I had this problem, but then I made my own kernel: kernel + AMD Patch was all I did, and now in system profiler it reports I have SSE3.

@ sadiekiller: try this: http://gag.sourceforge.net/

I tried to use a kernel with only the base and AMD patches but I get Panics in native :)

Could you run Mac OS without the Base kernel patch?

I tried to use a kernel with only the base and AMD patches but I get Panics in native :P

Could you run Mac OS without the Base kernel patch?

I don't think so, otherwise what would be the point of the Base Patch in the first place?

Just so you know, if your CPU does have SSE3, then it IS being used. myzar did a comparison with different kernels which reported different CPU features in System Profiler, and there wasn't any increase/decrease in system performance.

The only thing you'll gain is System Profiler reporting "SSE3" :guitar:

I did it myself, and I didn't get any speed increase at all...

Hmm,

I have the same mobo than you, macgirl, just no opteron but a venice. No probs here with the myzar release an all patches activated. Maybe it is something with your bios settings, because acpi and xp could change them so that it possibly could appear with the sse3 flag on under xp in vmware, but not native. That is the only possible solution i can think of atm.

I have did your ever last step and it did not work, i got that please restart your computer. I tried OSX86 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, & 4.6 and did the chin0 steps , i applied all patches and every thing and still no luck, but every thing works perfectly in VMware Workstaion 5.5. Every time i get that panic error . :D this {censored} me of.

kp.jpg

The only thing that works natively is the Deadmoo Flat image

eMachine W3107

AMD Sempron 3100+ processor

1.8GHz 256KB L2 Cache

1600MHz System Bus

512MB DDR

100GB (7200 rpm, 2MB Cache)hard drive

nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU up to 128MB of shared video memory

6-Channel (5.1) AC?97 Audio w/ Amplified Stereo Speakers

I have did your ever last step and it did not work, i got that please restart your computer. I tried OSX86 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, & 4.6 and did the chin0 steps , i applied all patches and every thing and still no luck, but every thing works perfectly in VMware Workstaion 5.5. Every time i get that panic error . :D this {censored} me of.

kp.jpg

The only thing that works natively is the Deadmoo Flat image

eMachine W3107

AMD Sempron 3100+ processor

1.8GHz 256KB L2 Cache

1600MHz System Bus

512MB DDR

100GB (7200 rpm, 2MB Cache)hard drive

nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU up to 128MB of shared video memory

6-Channel (5.1) AC?97 Audio w/ Amplified Stereo Speakers

Try booting with the

-v

in the darwin prompt, and show us what errors are displayed :D

Hmm,

I have the same mobo than you, macgirl, just no opteron but a venice. No probs here with the myzar release an all patches activated. Maybe it is something with your bios settings, because acpi and xp could change them so that it possibly could appear with the sse3 flag on under xp in vmware, but not native. That is the only possible solution i can think of atm.

But, are you using all the Patches on 10.4.4-10.4.6 including the SSE3 emulator? Because in 10.4.3 I have no problems with Native recognizing SSE3.

Hello Everyone,

I have installed the JaS 10.4.6 install dvd through vmware 5.5.1.

But I got the following error after I reboot the vmware virtual machine

http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/8692/gay7dm.jpg

What could be the reason?

My CPU is AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3300+ (sse2)

The error message is similar to http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/...php/t13653.html with -v turn on

Do I need to apply JaS 10.4.6 install dvd ppf to the DVD?

Any help will be much appreciated

Clifford

Hey Clifford...

As much as I would like to, I'm afraid I can't help you... Perhaps someone else would know how? I would suggest you make a new topic in the OSx86 Installation sub-forum :(

Hello Sabr,

Thanks for the help.

the JaS 10.4.6 install dvd ppf is needed in orfer to fix b0 error.

I fixed my problem.

The error message in

http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/8692/gay7dm.jpg

http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/...php/t13653.html

were due to patch option selection mistake. I should select AMD only patch for AMD PC.

I can run Max OS X through vmware 5.5.1 on MY AMD PC (with AMD patch) and Intel Notebook (with INtel Patch). But the performance is slow in my AMD PC.

I tried http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/SpeedBoost already, But does not help.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

The AMD PC is HP Pavilion a810n (AMD Athlon 64 3300+ Processor)., The Notebook is HP dv4307cl (Intel Pentium M, Centrino , 1.7 GHz )

Clifford

For now I don't want to do native. I just want to play with it in vmware.

I have (here is the exact filename just incase...just got it this week) the "MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso" file.

Do I follow part of your instructions or is a little different to just have run on vmware??

Thanks!

Hi, first of all thanks to SABR, great guide. I couldnt get it to boot the installer, but no probs in VMware.

Now... I created an unformatted partition (12GB) on my main 80gb drive and set it to be used in VM. I ran the installer and partitioned it from there. Installation went okay, all looked good, but it seems that the installer marked my windows partition as AF!! OSX didn't boot, nevermind.

The real problem was that neither did windows, since it was flagged as AF, not NTFS. I spent an afternoon trying to fix it, but nothing worked so I went for a clean install, nevermind! :)

This time, i decided to be a little bit more careful! Slapped in an old 15gb HDD as slave and installed through VM to it no problem. If I pull it out and set it as primary master drive, it boots OSX! Success.

The only problem I have now is that i'd really like to have the OSX install and the WinXP install on the same HDD (different partitions), and dump the old HDD. As far as I can see, my two options are as follows:

1. Create an image of the working install and restore it to a partition on the 80gb.

2. Install to the 80gb in the same way as when it F###ed my last win install, but this time create the AF partition before starting the installer (rather than in the installer)

Sorry for the REALLY long and boring post, but if anyone has tried either of these methods, it would be nice to hear wheather they will work!

The only problem I have now is that i'd really like to have the OSX install and the WinXP install on the same HDD (different partitions), and dump the old HDD. As far as I can see, my two options are as follows:

1. Create an image of the working install and restore it to a partition on the 80gb.

2. Install to the 80gb in the same way as when it F###ed my last win install, but this time create the AF partition before starting the installer (rather than in the installer)

I haven't tried method 1, but here's what I did (sort of like you) that worked for method 2.

Create the partition with diskpart.

start->run->diskpart

If this is all on one hard drive, then type in:

select disk 0

If you're not sure which disk you have, type in:

list disk

either way, once you've selected disk 0, you can create a partition. First check which partitions you already have with the following:

list partition

Then you can create a partition with the follwing:

create partition primary size=6660 id=af

where 6660 is approximately 6.5gigs. You can make it larger if you want.

Once this is done, it should say the partition is created. To see it, type in the following:

list partition

That will show you the partitions on the hard drive. The one you currently have XP installed on should be listed as a primary partition. The partition you just created should be listed as unknown instead of as primary. Make sure it is *not* underneath an extended or logical partition. It should be beneath a primary partition (ideally, your XP partition). At any rate, once this is done, you have one more step.

Tell diskpart to make that partition active. You do this with the following command:

activate partition <----edit, this is wrong. the command is actually "active" instead of "activate partition". sorry for any confusion!

Diskpart will confirm this, and you'll be ready to reboot with the OSX DVD. Keep in mind that the "active" command now means your computer will only boot from that currently blank partition, until you tell it to do otherwise. In other words, you won't be able to boot into Windows again unless 1.) you successfully install OSX and switch active partitions from within OSX or 2.) use some sort of boot/recovery disk to switch active partitions. Fortunately, since you're doing this in Vmware, you don't need to restart the computer to start the installation, presuming you've already installed daemon (which *does* require a restart before you can start to use it). Presuming that's all taken care of, start daemon, start Vmware, and follow the instructions on page 1 of this thread, as well as those on the screen, and you should be fine.

Here's how to create a cheap partition switch disk, just in case.

Copy the file "ntldr" from your root partition (usually C:\). It's a hidden system file, so you might have to make that visible. Again, *copy*, not move. Copy the file to, say, your desktop. Also copy the boot.ini file, which should also be located in C:\.

Burn these two to a CD-R or DVD+/-R. Bam - you've got the world's simplest boot disk. Now if something goes wrong after you switch active partitions, you won't have to reinstall XP, fish out a recovery disk, or partially install another copy of XP to a different partition and then reboot (what I had to do) to be able to boot back into your primary XP partition. If something goes wrong, reboot with your homemade recovery disk. Some stuff will pop up, and when all that's done, at the prompt, type in the following:

fdisk

then it'll ask you what you want to do with the partitions in front of you. Tell it to switch the active partition, and select the partition you want to activate. It won't appear to work, but restart the computer and take out your recov disk, and bam - you'll be back in your sweet, safe partition. I know this works because I used it three times last night after unsuccessful OSX boot attempts.

---

At any rate, this is a lot of information, but hopefully you or someone else will find it a bit useful. Basically, whether you plan on booting through the OSX DVD or through an ISO on your computer + Vmware, you'll need to create a primary partition and activate it. This setup (diskpart) worked for me, and from there I used Vmware. Good luck. :)

This site has been tremendously helpful in the past 24 hours. Thank you all.

Thanks for the extended and informative reply.

As an update, I tried option 1, and was able to create a disk image (using Acronis). The problem then was a BSOD every time i tried to resore it to a blank partition. Next im gonna try and do a fresh install on a pre-partitioned drive...

Ill keep you posted on whether it works, fingers crossed!

::EDIT::

Okay, so I failed with the fresh install, but i did manage to restore the disk image to a new AF partition on my primary HDD. Turns out that you need to restore the disk image from a different physical HD than the drive you're restoring to...

I then installed Acronis OS Selector, and all is well - im dual booting OSX and Win XP! :)

Congratulations! Now I've got a question for everyone...

I managed a successful install of 10.4.6 on my laptop via Vmware, but I can't get it to boot naturally; ie, by restarting the computer. I can only get OSX to load through Vmware. When typing in -v at the boot selection terminal, a lot of HFS text flies by for about ten seconds, until the following appears in yellow (instead of white):

failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleHPET

then some more text in white occurs for a while until everything just stops. If I try booting without -v, I get the grey screen and the spinner for a few minutes, and then the light blue screen appears, but nothing else ever does.

When I try it in Vmware, the yellow error doesn't appear, and the rest of it works. I saw someone post the same query (at least the part with the yellow extension error) earlier in this thread, but no one seemed able to help her then.

What should I do? :)

Congratulations! Now I've got a question for everyone...

I managed a successful install of 10.4.6 on my laptop via Vmware, but I can't get it to boot naturally; ie, by restarting the computer. I can only get OSX to load through Vmware. When typing in -v at the boot selection terminal, a lot of HFS text flies by for about ten seconds, until the following appears in yellow (instead of white):

failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleHPET

then some more text in white occurs for a while until everything just stops. If I try booting without -v, I get the grey screen and the spinner for a few minutes, and then the light blue screen appears, but nothing else ever does.

When I try it in Vmware, the yellow error doesn't appear, and the rest of it works. I saw someone post the same query (at least the part with the yellow extension error) earlier in this thread, but no one seemed able to help her then.

What should I do? :)

Hmmm....

What's your hardware spec? (CPU, Mobo, etc...)

Hmmm....

What's your hardware spec? (CPU, Mobo, etc...)

I'm on an Acer Aspire 1640. 1.6ghz celeron processor - sse2, 503 mb ram, acer luganoll motherboard (intel i915gms/i910gml).

Currently trying to install OSX onto a separate primary partition. Mounting et al works in vmware...I just get trouble when trying to start the OS without it. Part of it might be that I'm not selecting everything necessary to install during the installation. Not sure...

I'm on an Acer Aspire 1640. 1.6ghz celeron processor - sse2, 503 mb ram, acer luganoll motherboard (intel i915gms/i910gml).

Currently trying to install OSX onto a separate primary partition. Mounting et al works in vmware...I just get trouble when trying to start the OS without it. Part of it might be that I'm not selecting everything necessary to install during the installation. Not sure...

Try selecting just the base patch and SSE3 Emulator ;)