[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

Hi, thanks for this guide, I followed each step and I was able to install OSX on my PC using VMWare. However, I could't yet boot natively using my HDD because once the boot process starts It reboots the PC after a few seconds.

Here is my orginal post: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=13376 .

The native process starts in text mode and displays tons of messages, then switches to a kind of graphical text mode, shows some text lines and then it reboots the PC, it doesn't stops, it justs reboots the PC, so ¿is there any way I can detect the failure? ¿is there any log file I could check when booting from VMWare?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, there is a boot log you can check... Can't remember where it gets saved... However, do you think there is enough time for it to make a boot log? It sounds as though it reboots after it loads up the shell or something... :blink:

Yeah, there is a boot log you can check... Can't remember where it gets saved... However, do you think there is enough time for it to make a boot log? It sounds as though it reboots after it loads up the shell or something... :blink:

I think it does start the boot process and fails loading a driver or something like that. I'm an OSX newbie and I'm not able to find boot log files, so, does someone knows where boot log files are located? Also is there any way to boot in "terminal" mode? Thanks.

I think it does start the boot process and fails loading a driver or something like that. I'm an OSX newbie and I'm not able to find boot log files, so, does someone knows where boot log files are located? Also is there any way to boot in "terminal" mode? Thanks.

To boot up in a "Temrinal" kind of style, where you can search and edit files etc... type -s at the Darwin Prompt... I'm not sure where the boot log is saved... I'll do a quick search for you now...

Here we are: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...309&hl=boot+log

Do that in OS X under VMWare :blink:

I've tried to install OSX off of a dvd, and through vmware. Neither method seems to work. I always get a message:

/.com.apple.Boot.plist not found

and

HDD(159,0) Ethernet PXE Client shows up but nothing else. What is going on? Is it a problem with my computer or my dvd?

I've tried to install OSX off of a dvd, and through vmware. Neither method seems to work. I always get a message:

/.com.apple.Boot.plist not found

and

HDD(159,0) Ethernet PXE Client shows up but nothing else. What is going on? Is it a problem with my computer or my dvd?

Try what these guys are saying:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...plist+not+found

Let me know how it goes ;)

i have an 80GB hard disk, and 60 GB of it is windows, and the remainder is free space. this maybe me just being stupid, but the guide says that this can't be installed on a partition.

is this true?

jordn.

Hello my name is phaseon im having wierd issues when i try to bootup the 10.4.5 ISO called (MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL_AMD_SSE3_SSE2).iso) on VM ware 5.5.1 Build 19175,as you can see fron this screen shot i have everything setup correctly configuration.jpg

also i know it isnt the DVD becuase its detected as you can see in this screeny

bootingscreen.jpg

The first error i got it says something about EBIOS and a device Timeout

error1.jpg\

Then it says that the ACPI isnt detected

error2.jpg

i was wondering please if anybody could help me with these two problems i already searched the thread in its entirety and couldnt find antyhing similar (but i am sorry if i missed somehting) thank you very much

- phaseon

First off, Thank You Sabr for putting together this wonderful tutorial.

It was very useful during my install. :(

After succesfully installing the OS:

MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL-AMD-SSE3-SSE2).iso

I get the following message when I re-start the virtual machine:

error.jpg

Clicking OK gives me this:

error2.jpg

Resetting the virtual machine, vmware workstation v.5.5.1 build 19175, winds up with the above process repeating itself.

I'm not sure why I would be having processor issues, I'm running an Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz, and from what I've seen this particular processor is fully compatible.

These are the settings I have for vmware:

settings.jpg

I'm soooooooo close - can someone help please?

hey,

i have 1 physical 80GB hdd. it has been partitioned in 2, so 60gb is windows and the rest in just ntfs in a different partition. ill call this "spare". i used vmware, and set it to use write to "spare", and i managed to format "spare" as HFS+. everything to install well. i then rebooted the virtual machine and then i got "HFS+ Partition Error".

i then restarted my physical machine and i got this message.

can anyone help?

jordn.

post-30646-1144736579_thumb.jpg

hey,

i have 1 physical 80GB hdd. it has been partitioned in 2, so 60gb is windows and the rest in just ntfs in a different partition. ill call this "spare". i used vmware, and set it to use write to "spare", and i managed to format "spare" as HFS+. everything to install well. i then rebooted the virtual machine and then i got "HFS+ Partition Error".

i then restarted my physical machine and i got this message.

can anyone help?

jordn.

I can't remember completely, but I think that if you make the HFS partion active (using Acronis Disk Director), then it might work (forgive me if I'm wrong)...

First off, Thank You Sabr for putting together this wonderful tutorial.

It was very useful during my install. :star_smile:

After succesfully installing the OS:

I get the following message when I re-start the virtual machine:

error.jpg

Clicking OK gives me this:

error2.jpg

Resetting the virtual machine, vmware workstation v.5.5.1 build 19175, winds up with the above process repeating itself.

I'm not sure why I would be having processor issues, I'm running an Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz, and from what I've seen this particular processor is fully compatible.

These are the settings I have for vmware:

settings.jpg

I'm soooooooo close - can someone help please?

When booting, enter -v at the Darwin Boot Prompt, and post here screen captures of the Virtual Machine (there is a capture feature within VMWare ;)).

I'm using vmware 5.5.1 with daemontools 4.0.3. Booting -v, I hang after the PIIX4 initialization

with an error:

Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88, trying /sbin/mach_init

Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88

The boot device is IOService:/AppleACPIPPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE@7.1/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/CHN1@1/AppleIntelPIIXPATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATAPIPRotocolTransport/IOSCSI/PeripheralDeviceNub//IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType05/IODVDServices/IODVDB,

and the BSD root is

disk1s3, major 14, minor 3

I'm working through permutations of disk configurations trying to find something that works, but it seems quixotic thus far. A screenshot is at http://southoftheclouds.net/vm.jpg

I would much appreciate any advice from the better informed. One imagines that some specific boot-device command-line or subtle tweak of the vmware device configuration would resolve the issue.

Hmmm... That is the error I recieved when I wasn't using Daemon Tools... Is there a newer version of DTools rather than 4.0.3? If so, try that... If there isn't, perhaps try using an older version...

Good luck ;)

I have a quick question. When you have to choose where to put the three files when making a new machine, can I just delete them after i install osx? Thanks!

I suppose... They are probably configuration files for VMWare. However, if you ever wanted to boot the HDD in VMWare, you would probably need to make a new Virtual Machine again ;)

I'm getting the PAE error some people have posted. I've searched and searched and have no idea how to fix it. I've tried to add /PAE to the boot.ini and pae=true to teh cfg file of VMware but no go.

I don't think there is a fix for it thru vmware but if i burn it will i still get an error?

I don't think there is a fix for it thru vmware but if i burn it will i still get an error?

The only way to find out is try it! :)

By the way, it's

paevm=true

not

pae=true

So try that again with the vm part added!

:)

I tried with VMware, it worked after 4hours booting to gray ({censored} lol) screen. Its simple for me, i emulated a DVD drive with Daemon tool, mine is H:, forced VMWare to use that drive, not an IDE channel, then removed the virtual soundcard and it boot.

SS: http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=macinstall12kj.jpg

SPEC:

CPU: P4 2.4Ghz OC'ed 3Ghz Northwood

MB: P4P800E-Deluxe

MEM: 512MB PC4000

HDD: SG 80g ATA

I tried with VMware, it worked after 4hours booting to gray ({censored} lol) screen. Its simple for me, i emulated a DVD drive with Daemon tool, mine is H:, forced VMWare to use that drive, not an IDE channel, then removed the virtual soundcard and it boot.

SS: http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=macinstall12kj.jpg

SPEC:

CPU: P4 2.4Ghz OC'ed 3Ghz Northwood

MB: P4P800E-Deluxe

MEM: 512MB PC4000

HDD: SG 80g ATA

If you had read the guide, you would've seen that I specifically tell you to use Daemon Tools to mount the ISO DVD...

hey,

i finally got this to work in vmware using the guide. i then used Acronis OS Selector to locate my mac installation and attempt to boot from it. unfortunatley, i keep getting the 'still waiting on root device' error. i have booted using various flags, including the -v and -x ones. it still doesnt work... :)

My hardware is:

MSI K8N Neo4-F (nforce4 based)

XFX 6800XT

LG DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM drives on 1 ide, and an 80GB and 120GB HDDs on the other.

the 80gb hard disk is the master, and has 2 partitions on; OSX is the first (type AF, 20GB) and windows media centre 2005 is on the other (type NTFS,56.3GB)

I suppose... They are probably configuration files for VMWare. However, if you ever wanted to boot the HDD in VMWare, you would probably need to make a new Virtual Machine again :)

Sorry i haven't gotten back to you. Thanks for the info! But i'm still not done dl'in osx yet. :)

My parents keep freaking out that I have my computer on all the time. (Damn 10 year old CRT).