[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

Sorry i haven't gotten back to you. Thanks for the info! But i'm still not done dl'in osx yet. :)

My parents keep freaking out that I have my computer on all the time. (Damn 10 year old CRT).

Oh, ok... Well, I hope it all works out ok for you!

The only way to find out is try it! :thumbsdown_anim:

By the way, it's

paevm=true

not

pae=true

So try that again with the vm part added!

:gathering:

oops i did have paevm just wrote pae by accident here.

it didnt work regardless so i did it by burning it on a dvd, installed fine but now i can't boot into osx. one thing gets fixed, another thing is broken.

oops i did have paevm just wrote pae by accident here.

it didnt work regardless so i did it by burning it on a dvd, installed fine but now i can't boot into osx. one thing gets fixed, another thing is broken.

What happens when you try and boot it?

Enter

-v

at the Darwin Boot Prompt and see what errors come up :thumbsdown_anim:

Ok, i don't get this.

After the install went all fine, i went to go check if the data had been written to the hdd, and guess what. There was nothing. I followed the tut exactly, and I even heard the harddrive that I was installing it onto. (It's an older hdd that i just put into my computer to have osx.) when it goes to boot from that hdd, it just sits there with one of these... _ So idk what is happening. i'm going to try it again.

Bye.

Ok, i don't get this.

After the install went all fine, i went to go check if the data had been written to the hdd, and guess what. There was nothing. I followed the tut exactly, and I even heard the harddrive that I was installing it onto. (It's an older hdd that i just put into my computer to have osx.) when it goes to boot from that hdd, it just sits there with one of these... _ So idk what is happening. i'm going to try it again.

Bye.

That's very strange... :blink:

What DVD did you download?

I got the myz iso. I am starting to see what is happening. After I rebooted, i can't see the osx hdd in xp anymore. But when I boot to the osx hdd, it just sits there with the blinking _. lol

I'm re-installing right now. :blink:

And one last thing, you are awsome for helping everyone out with their installations. Cheers!

Bingo... This is what I missed, i think...

QUOTE(Soldat @ Mar 8 2006, 05:42 PM) *

EDIT: For some reason, using the disk utitlity, all I see on the left pane is "VMWare ATAPI Cdrom image" which is 4.4gb...I do not see any hard drives or partitions to install to. I set VMware to use a 15gb fat32 partition.

Ok, lets say you have your harddisk named "MY HDD" with 2 partitions: Partition "XP" runs Windows on it and Partition "Tiger" is your target where you want to install OSX.

1. In Windows you start VMWare, then under Virtual Machine settings you add your "MY HDD" harddrive. When adding your real "MY HDD", click on the Advanced button and check the "independent/persistance" checkbox.

2. Boot OSX in your Virtual machine. Either by mounting the image in DaemonTools, or by inserting your burned DVD. Start the VMWare Virtual machine by pressing the Play button, and watch how OSX is about to boot.

3. In the Setup-Menu, you have to select your partition, where you want to install OSX to. In your case it is your 15 GB Partition. The problem is, that it is Fat32. OSX cannot install on a Fat32 partition. So you open the Diskutility from the Tools menue on top of the screen.

4. Here you will see all your partitions on the left side. Now be careful !! and highlight your 15 GB Fat32 partition, and click delete. OSX will automatically delete the partition and will then format it with a bootable hfs file system, where OSX can install to.

5. When Diskutility has finished, just quit the program and you will automatically be back at the installer. Now you can select your 15 GB disk. Go on installing and then hopefully you will be able to boot OSX.

6. To be able to boot OSX, you will have to copy the chain0 File to your XP Root folder eg. C:\ After that you

will have to add a line to your hidden C:\boot.ini file by opening it with the texteditor. This is because then you can select OSX at bootup from within the XP Bootmanager. If you don't know how to do that, do a google search for dulboot or for "boot.ini chain0 OSX" without the quotes, or search the forum and wiki here for it.

But if I cant see the mac osx hdd in xp, how do I obtain the chain0?

SABR: You are the best.... i don't quite know what hapened before, but after I re-installed, I just switched my boot drive in my bios and guess what.... I'm typing this from safari! I have a D-Link wireless card and it works flawlessly. Now I just need to get rid of that annoyng boot with all the text. I cant wait to get my laptop repaired so I can put osx on that too. rock on! ;)

Hi... I've looked through the previous posts and other forums without much success, so I thought I'd see if someone here can help me figure out why my OS X installation in VMWare doesn't boot.

Just some background; the machine is a Dell Inspiron 6000d... I have a separate partition running OS X 10.4.5 dual boot no problem. For VMWare, however, I thought I'd try installing on a virtual partition first; the installer works fine, but when it reboots, it hangs up and asks me to reboot after a few seconds.

I've run the boot with -v turned on, and the following is what I see just before it dies:

130308751_d5afa34aaa_o.gif

If anyone has any ideas what may be wrong, I'd appreciate your help. My own half-baked guess is that installing with SSE2 support like I did for my dual-boot version of OS X is the problem, but that's totally unsupported by anything I've actually read...

Hi... I've looked through the previous posts and other forums without much success, so I thought I'd see if someone here can help me figure out why my OS X installation in VMWare doesn't boot.

Just some background; the machine is a Dell Inspiron 6000d... I have a separate partition running OS X 10.4.5 dual boot no problem. For VMWare, however, I thought I'd try installing on a virtual partition first; the installer works fine, but when it reboots, it hangs up and asks me to reboot after a few seconds.

I've run the boot with -v turned on, and the following is what I see just before it dies:

130308751_d5afa34aaa_o.gif

If anyone has any ideas what may be wrong, I'd appreciate your help. My own half-baked guess is that installing with SSE2 support like I did for my dual-boot version of OS X is the problem, but that's totally unsupported by anything I've actually read...

Well, this problem goes beyond my knowledge of OSx86, so I think a new topic in the PC Forum/OSx86 Installation Sub-Forum is needed for extra help on this matter.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more...

hi all. I have a problem trying to boot osx native after installing it via vmware. I get the message "still waiting for root device" for clarification, it works fine if i boot it under vmware.

I am running on an AMD 4400+, A8n-SLI premium mobo, and a raptor (74gb sata hdd partitioned into winxp partition and osx (HFS) partition)

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

hi all. I have a problem trying to boot osx native after installing it via vmware. I get the message "still waiting for root device" for clarification, it works fine if i boot it under vmware.

I am running on an AMD 4400+, A8n-SLI premium mobo, and a raptor (74gb sata hdd partitioned into winxp partition and osx (HFS) partition)

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

When I got this error it was becuase of my Jumpers on the HDD... I had to set it to master.

Thanks SABR, I'll start a topic and see if someone helps... the truth be told, I get the same error if I take my physcal dual boot installation and set the HD partition to be accessible by VMWare.

The fact that I get to a Darwin boot prompt at all is promising though... I'm sure it's a simple configuration problem...

umm sata hard drives dont have jumpers. and in the bios they are listed all as master drives.

Oh man, you should've said you were using sata drives...

You motherboard has an nForce4 chipset, right? SATA does not work for OS X machines which have an nForce4 chipset (doesn't even work for me cause I have a DFI Ultra-Infinity nF4...).

The only workaround is use PATA... That should solve it...

Hi,

I have installed Mac OS X 10.4.4 on a virtual drive in VMware,

if I boot to the HD normally I get a VMware Error (the CPU has been disabled by the guest OS...) and when I boot the HD in -v (verbose mode) I get this (see image). I have tried -s (Single User or Safe mode)

thanks cavenba

PS. My PC is a DELL Dimension 2400 @ 2.4GHz (Celeron SSE2) with 512MB of RAM 40GB HDD DVD+RW and CD-RW and an ATi Radeon 9250 (128MB) (with Windows XP Pro)

post-34918-1145328676_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have installed Mac OS X 10.4.4 on a virtual drive in VMware,

if I boot to the HD normally I get a VMware Error (the CPU has been disabled by the guest OS...) and when I boot the HD in -v (verbose mode) I get this (see image). I have tried -s (Single User or Safe mode)

thanks cavenba

PS. My PC is a DELL Dimension 2400 @ 2.4GHz (Celeron SSE2) with 512MB of RAM 40GB HDD DVD+RW and CD-RW and an ATi Radeon 9250 (128MB) (with Windows XP Pro)

Try installing it onto a Physical HDD....

thanks SABR,

it works almost perfectly on my pata drive.

only thing is the marvell yukon that is killing me, since in the drivers section, they are still in development and i dont know if i want to try something that is sort of risky.