[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

thanks for teh advice SABR, that actually was my problem and i corrected it following the advice of Otaking earliar...but thanks again

any word on my second error?

"Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA. You will need to configure your guest operating system to use DMA when communicating with DVD/CD-ROM devices.

Note that some operating systems will report DMA is available without actually using it. In those cases, normal CD-ROM operations will still be available, but special features will only be available if you reconfigure the virtual device as a SCSI device."

thanks for teh advice SABR, that actually was my problem and i corrected it following the advice of Otaking earliar...but thanks again

any word on my second error?

"Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA. You will need to configure your guest operating system to use DMA when communicating with DVD/CD-ROM devices.

Note that some operating systems will report DMA is available without actually using it. In those cases, normal CD-ROM operations will still be available, but special features will only be available if you reconfigure the virtual device as a SCSI device."

Are you using Daemon Tools? You cannot point the CD Drive to the ISO file in the Virtual Machine's configuration, it must use an emulated drive that daemon tools makes. :worried_anim:

Also, a problem which can cause the "Still waiting for root device" is your HDD jumpers... It must be primary or slave I think, not cable select. Try letting it have it's own IDE cable if need be, that's what I had to do to install an OS once...

ya, i am using daemon tools

yea, i read about the master slave thing regarding both HDD and optical drives....alas as im installing on a laptop i cant take it apart to redo the cables, but i believe my optical drive is not wired correctly as when i tried to install from a USB drive it did not give me the same error...this is why i was intrigued by the vmware guide u provided, but i cant get past the error....

is that error the vmware equivalent of "still waiting for root device"

BTW, thank you for being so patient, i have read over the forum for about a week now, so i feel fairly knowledgble regarding terms and common problems i just cant figure out my own....haha

not to sound ignorant...but what hard disk options thingy? my partition is set to active if thats what u mean....

UPDATE: i tried booting through grub as was suggested in another thread with no luck...i have a feeling the error is related to this perhaps?

http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/....php/t2331.html

but im not sure how to change the starting sector if it is an odd number

You must also change the disk to an Independent - Persistent one (thanks to xtraa for this part! wink_anim.gif ) As it says on the VMWare site:

To configure a disk as an independent disk, choose VM > Settings, select the disk in question, then click Advanced. On the advanced settings screen, select Independent, then the mode for the disk. You have the following options for an independent disk:

# Persistent — changes are immediately and permanently written to the disk. All changes to an independent disk in persistent mode remain, even when you revert to the snapshot.

# Nonpersistent — changes to the disk are discarded when you power off or revert to the snapshot. Choose this option if you want to run a virtual machine where the virtual disk is stored on a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM, or if you want to lose any changes made to the virtual disk since the snapshot was taken when you revert to the snapshot.

can u predict wht my problem is ? i also included the screen shot in my prev reply. I am unable to install the os via native / vm ware why? in native mode i get com.apple.boot.plist error. and the bootloader doesnot detect my dvd rom/ harddisk(laptop). bit worried ...

Are you using Daemon Tools? You cannot point the CD Drive to the ISO file in the Virtual Machine's configuration, it must use an emulated drive that daemon tools makes. :(

Also, a problem which can cause the "Still waiting for root device" is your HDD jumpers... It must be primary or slave I think, not cable select. Try letting it have it's own IDE cable if need be, that's what I had to do to install an OS once...

alright for anyone having my problem, installing arconis disk director suite worked for me....now i am just trying to figure out why the boot fails at

"itunesphonedriver has no kernal dependency"

ho hum...

EDIT: problem solved by disabling USB legacy support in BIOS

EDIT 2: thanks for all the help guys, i have got an almost working copy of mac os x on the computer...THANKS!

This guide was great and its gotten me the closest I've ever gotten OS X to work natively on my drive. I'm having the problem though of "still waiting for root device" when I try to start up. The weird thing is I can run OS X perfectly fine in VMware but I always get this error trying to boot up natively. I think I get a message that says something like ".com.apple.driver.AppleOnboardPCATA has no kernal dependency" and then just a black screen for awhile then the waiting for root device. Is there any solution for this??

This guide was great and its gotten me the closest I've ever gotten OS X to work natively on my drive. I'm having the problem though of "still waiting for root device" when I try to start up. The weird thing is I can run OS X perfectly fine in VMware but I always get this error trying to boot up natively. I think I get a message that says something like ".com.apple.driver.AppleOnboardPCATA has no kernal dependency" and then just a black screen for awhile then the waiting for root device. Is there any solution for this??

Glad you like the guide :D

About your problem: I don't know what that problem would mean... I can't even find that kext in my extensions folder... :D

ATA is a kind of a drive type, e.g. PATA, SATA, etc... So maybe it's connected to something about the HDD you've installed it on. What are the jumpers set on for it? Also, have you installed it to a PATA (IDE) or SATA HDD?

Glad you like the guide :hysterical:

About your problem: I don't know what that problem would mean... I can't even find that kext in my extensions folder... :hysterical:

ATA is a kind of a drive type, e.g. PATA, SATA, etc... So maybe it's connected to something about the HDD you've installed it on. What are the jumpers set on for it? Also, have you installed it to a PATA (IDE) or SATA HDD?

I'm trying to install it on a PATA drive, leaving Windows on a separate SATA drive. Since its the only PATA drive I have, I've tried it with no jumper and with a jumper as master, both of which didn't fix it. I've been doing some searching and I think its the nForce 4 chipset thats the problem. I found this link but I have no idea what to do with the kext file. How do you apply something like that before an installation or how would you do it afterwards?

I'm trying to install it on a PATA drive, leaving Windows on a separate SATA drive. Since its the only PATA drive I have, I've tried it with no jumper and with a jumper as master, both of which didn't fix it. I've been doing some searching and I think its the nForce 4 chipset thats the problem. I found this link but I have no idea what to do with the kext file. How do you apply something like that before an installation or how would you do it afterwards?

Under Windows, download a program called "TransMac". That will see your Mac HDD. Then browse to System => Library => Extensions and copy the kext from the panel above into that panel :hysterical:

@cyaneyes

I had a similar boot problem on my vmware i did this:

I created the virtual machine using a regular HD image file. after that was working i added a 2nd virtual hardrive pointing to the physical drive with persistant.

This way everything worked, i esc'd on boot, chose boot from cd, and installed to the physical drive. After that it was ok to delete de HD that pointed to the image.

-----------------------------------

Now my problem, i might have forgotten to install the patch for SS3 emu (using A64 3200) so safari crashes on me a lot i thought it was included with the amd one. am i rite ? or does safari crash a lot anyway.

Regards.

I'm afraid I've hit an error...

At first it said that the plist thing cannot be found, and then somebody said that hitting enter at boot: worked for them so I did it, and it worked for me. It went to the Apple logo and then VMware displayed a message that said:

*** VMware Workstation internal monitor error (bug 9297) ***

The guest operating system you are running is using the Physical Address Extension (PAE) processor option. For more information about

running PAE-enabled guest operating systems, please consult http://www.vmware.com/info?id=28

In the same thread about hitting enter at boot:, somebody said to enter in 'paevm="true" ' or something like that in the config file, but alas no luck.

Here is a page for the specifications.

Thank you greatly for any help.

Step 3

Once made, edit the Virtual Machine's Configuration, and change the CD-ROM drive to the Virtual CD/DVD-ROM drive we made earlier (Drive [G:] in my case).

You cannot point the drive directly to the ISO file, as it won't work. This is because VMWare ISO Emulation doesn't work too well with hfs+ filesystems.

Now THAT was the final hint I needed after numerous trys

using lots of install version.

A BIG Thanx from me!

Daniel