[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

zeisfirdaus, your problem sounds the same as mine. If you just want to run osx in vmware you could try running it with a virtual disk, that works for me.

Does anyone know of a windows program that can create HFS+ partitions? I think that would be easier than trying to get the damn osx installer to do it properly.

@zeiesfirdaus: I had the same problem.

I used Acronis Disk Director to remove this partition, restarted my PC and created a new partition (must be primary!). Then I changed the active partition to the new partition and back. Why? This seems to force Disk Director to rewrite the partition map. The reboot and try again.

The first time I tried your method I got the same problem, but then I created the partition in diskpart and then used acronis to set it to be active and it worked! I dont know whether it was keeping it active or creating it in diskpart that made the difference but I'm happy now. :(

OK, I'm hoping someone can help me with this:

I got the 10.4.4 prepatched myzar iso and osx setup in vmware starts great. As expected it finds no destination volume to install on so I go to disk utilities. It sees the HDD and the partitions fine so I select the disk, go into the partition tab, select the 10GB partition ive created with diskpart and click delete. Now at this point, according to some reports I've read, a HFS partition should magically appear - not so. The 10GB partition joins together with the free space that is just below it.

I've also tried selecting the partition, changing the format to mac extended journalled and clicking partition. If I ignore the message about it destroying data on all my partitions, it says 'creating partition map' and freezes a small way through.

If I select the partition on the left and go erase it with the mac extended format it comes up with the error "could not read partition map". If erase the whole disk it shows some promising mesages about partitioning then when verified comes up with lots of errors that cant be repaired. :)

Can anyone point out the stupid mistake the n00bs made?

You could try what dripple said:

@zeiesfirdaus: I had the same problem.

I used Acronis Disk Director to remove this partition, restarted my PC and created a new partition (must be primary!). Then I changed the active partition to the new partition and back. Why? This seems to force Disk Director to rewrite the partition map. The reboot and try again.

btw. Mac OS need HFS+ to work, not - as shown in your screenshots - DOS. But the Installer will tell you if you try to install there

===============================================================================

i got this error PAE

IPB Image

then when ived edit the .vmx then add paevm = " true "

like it said here www.vmware.com/info?id=28

then i got this error

IPB Image

then i shut off vmware and retry got the same error i'm stock at this point

does someone can help me??

on win xp pro sp2

cpu is a 2000xp atlon

Your CPU doesn't have the requirements to meet Mac OS X 10.4.1/3/4/5... It NEEDS SSE2, a feature Athlon XP's don't have... Sorry to burst your bubble... :(

================================================================================

why do you say from vmware to native. what does that mean? you instructions are just to install osx86 to a vmware virtual machine correct? Is there a way to go from the vmware machine to running it in a dual boot enviroment or something?

No... Read the guide... You tell VMWare to use a physical HDD as it's HDD, thus, it installs onto your physical drive... ;)

Pheww...

with mych help for ppl from this forum i have been able to install mac 10.4.3 on vmware.

however my problem is with getting it to dual boot.

i use the chain0 file method but i get a message saying chain boot error

obviousy there must be different chain files for different configurations..may be i am just stupid ..can sumone help me with this ..

this is what i did

i simply copied the extracted chain file in my c: ( active , windos xp partition ntfs format)..

and wrote C:\chain0="Mac-Intel OSx86 Tiger 10.4.3” in my boot.ini

i do get a boot screen with both options.

the mac os is installed in my g:

even though i formatted thisdrive by the disk utilities in the mac installer. partition magic shows this drive as a type bb....

just to see if things are ok .. i booted my machine with a windows 98 bootable disk , went to f dik and set the mac partition as active and reeboted ..

i get a hfs+ partition error

when i use arconis os selector i again get a hfs+ partition error

what to do ?

ne suggestions ?

What DVD Image are you using?

Well, did it work? :blink:

Sorry for the delay I'm using 10.4.4 restore Image but I'm downloading a patched version of 10.4.5 but I think I was doing everything correctly I'll let you know after I try the new one thanks for your help. :(

Malcolm

Sorry for the delay I'm using 10.4.4 restore Image but I'm downloading a patched version of 10.4.5 but I think I was doing everything correctly I'll let you know after I try the new one thanks for your help. :D

Malcolm

You can't just convert the restore DVD DMG file to an ISO one, and expect it to be bootable. If you had read about the file, you would've of seen that it wasn't bootable, and that you would need a patch to make it bootable. However, I would recommened to use the 10.4.4/5 Myzar PrePatched DVD ISO, because, in my opinion, it is the best version out there yet :)

I've got it up and running perfectly fine in VMWare.

But for some reason, it just takes forever to boot up without VMWare. It gets stuck after that

ipv6: File Exists thing

Either that or it just takes way too long and I ran out of patience after waiting 15 mins.

With VMWare though, its almost instant to take me to the login screen.

Any help?

I've got it up and running perfectly fine in VMWare.

But for some reason, it just takes forever to boot up without VMWare. It gets stuck after that

ipv6: File Exists thing

Either that or it just takes way too long and I ran out of patience after waiting 15 mins.

With VMWare though, its almost instant to take me to the login screen.

Any help?

Hmm, that's a weird problem... I tried searching that error but I couldn't find any information on it... I think you should try making a new topic about it in the OSx86 Installation section.

Sorry I can't be of any more help... :(

If i install this on my hdd with vmware, with the option use entire disk will all my data be lost form that drive or will the macosx86 installation only install it in a partition?

Well, seeming as there is the option to choose: Partition or Entire Disk, it would seem very logical that it would wipe the whole thing... If you want to install onto a partition of a HDD, then you must select Partition :whistle:

Perhaps I should state that in the guide... ?

Ok but i already tryed to partition my hdd with partition magic only i get this error

error 27 : cannot lock drive

Could somebody help me out?

And yes i could help orders also if you put it in the guide

Ow and btw can i not just install it on my 20 gb iPod?

Ok but i already tryed to partition my hdd with partition magic only i get this error

error 27 : cannot lock drive

Could somebody help me out?

And yes i could help orders also if you put it in the guide

Ow and btw can i not just install it on my 20 gb iPod?

I'm not too good with PartitionMagic... Why don't you try searching your error in google? That always helps for me! :)

About the iPod: I'm not sure whether you can or not... Why not make a topic here, asking if it's possible? But, before you do that, search first :P

I've done everything in the guide but my 10.4.4 install still won't work.

I'm trying to install to a partition on an SATA drive, in the installation there is no destination to install.

The partitons are recognisable in disk ultility and are repairable and checkable when in ext3 and FAT32 but will not mount. When formatted to HFS+ the partiton still will not mount, will not be recognised by the installer and will no longer be checkable or repairable.

I'd really like to get this working as the computer will not boot from the patched 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 disks.

I've done everything in the guide but my 10.4.4 install still won't work.

I'm trying to install to a partition on an SATA drive, in the installation there is no destination to install.

The partitons are recognisable in disk ultility and are repairable and checkable when in ext3 and FAT32 but will not mount. When formatted to HFS+ the partiton still will not mount, will not be recognised by the installer and will no longer be checkable or repairable.

I'd really like to get this working as the computer will not boot from the patched 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 disks.

I think I read a page or so back in this thread that a guy removed the virtual floppy disk, and it suddenyl recognised his HDD and it worked... I doubt this'll solve it, but it's worth a try...

Sorry I'm of no more help. :)

there never was a virtual floppy in the setup.

i'm now trying to install to a 8gb virtual hdd, and then posible make a disk image and burn it to a bootable partition.

What you could do... Is install onto a VMWare Virtual Drive... Then run the installer from within VMWare, whilst in OS X... That may work! :)

ok, after a whole lot of f***ing around, I think I've worked out what was causing my disk utilitiy woes.

It seems that disk util in vmware won't work if partition magic or a diskpart command prompt are runnung in another window.

i'm installing directly to a partition formatted by disk utility from vmware now.

ok, after a whole lot of f***ing around, I think I've worked out what was causing my disk utilitiy woes.

It seems that disk util in vmware won't work if partition magic or a diskpart command prompt are runnung in another window.

i'm installing directly to a partition formatted by disk utility from vmware now.

Cool... Let me know how it goes... :lol:

After adding the partition or HD to your viritual machine, you don't have to change anything with this partition or hard drive. I you're lucky, VM will ask you to add the drive again to the machine. But it may also crash the install.

If you have Partition Magic, Disk Director or something else open with this drive, it will damage your partition table. You may end up with a totally corrupted HD! This has happened to me :-(

I'm using vmware 5.5.1 with daemontools 4.0.3. Booting -v, I hang after the PIIX4 initialization

with an error:

Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88, trying /sbin/mach_init

Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88

The boot device is IOService:/AppleACPIPPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE@7.1/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/CHN1@1/AppleIntelPIIXPATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATAPIPRotocolTransport/IOSCSI/PeripheralDeviceNub//IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType05/IODVDServices/IODVDB,

and the BSD root is

disk1s3, major 14, minor 3

I'm working through permutations of disk configurations trying to find something that works, but it seems quixotic thus far. A screenshot is at http://southoftheclouds.net/vm.jpg

I would much appreciate any advice from the better informed. One imagines that some specific boot-device command-line or subtle tweak of the vmware device configuration would resolve the issue.

I'm using vmware 5.5.1 with daemontools 4.0.3. Booting -v, I hang after the PIIX4 initialization

with an error:

Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88, trying /sbin/mach_init

Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88

The boot device is IOService:/AppleACPIPPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE@7.1/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/CHN1@1/AppleIntelPIIXPATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATAPIPRotocolTransport/IOSCSI/PeripheralDeviceNub//IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType05/IODVDServices/IODVDB,

and the BSD root is

disk1s3, major 14, minor 3

I'm working through permutations of disk configurations trying to find something that works, but it seems quixotic thus far. A screenshot is at http://southoftheclouds.net/vm.jpg

I would much appreciate any advice from the better informed. One imagines that some specific boot-device command-line or subtle tweak of the vmware device configuration would resolve the issue.

That is the same error I got (the sbin/launchd errno 80 stuff)... However, I only got that when the drive in the VM Machine was pointed to the ISO file... Just to be sure: You have made a virtual drive with Daemon Tools, and mounted the ISO file in that virtual drive, right? Then you point the VM Machine's drive to the drive letter of the virtual drive you made with Daemon tools :)

I followed all the steps o mounting the iso i got in daemonb tools and setting up vmware just like you said and vmware boots up the dvd and darwin starts and I get a mac os screen, then vmware gives me this message

"

Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA. You will need to configure your guest operating system to use DMA when communicating with DVD/CD-ROM devices.

Note that some operating systems will report DMA is available without actually using it. In those cases, normal CD-ROM operations will still be available, but special features will only be available if you reconfigure the virtual device as a SCSI device."

I do not follow, I use vmware for windows xp access on my windows server 2003 64 bit machine and I can use dvd drives and never got this message. What does this mean?

Also I actually burned the MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL_AMD_SSE3_SSE2).iso I have onto dvd and tried to boot via vmware that way but I got a funny error message instead after darwin started loading

I followed all the steps o mounting the iso i got in daemonb tools and setting up vmware just like you said and vmware boots up the dvd and darwin starts and I get a mac os screen, then vmware gives me this message

"

Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA. You will need to configure your guest operating system to use DMA when communicating with DVD/CD-ROM devices.

Note that some operating systems will report DMA is available without actually using it. In those cases, normal CD-ROM operations will still be available, but special features will only be available if you reconfigure the virtual device as a SCSI device."

I do not follow, I use vmware for windows xp access on my windows server 2003 64 bit machine and I can use dvd drives and never got this message. What does this mean?

Also I actually burned the MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL_AMD_SSE3_SSE2).iso I have onto dvd and tried to boot via vmware that way but I got a funny error message instead after darwin started loading

When that message comes up in VMWare, just press ok... ;)

when I do then a black screen shows and all these like text starts showing one by one, and its to fast for me to read what the text says, and different text just keeps flashing, is that normal?

ok now it just shows a prompt:

-sh-2.05b#

I am totally lost

when I do then a black screen shows and all these like text starts showing one by one, and its to fast for me to read what the text says, and different text just keeps flashing, is that normal?

ok now it just shows a prompt:

-sh-2.05b#

I am totally lost

When at the darwin prompt, enter -v and see what errors it brings up...