[HowTo] From VMWare To Native!

616 posts in this topic

I need to rescue my install.......I screwed up either patching or copying the kernel for sse3. I am trying to boot from an install disk and then get into the terminal, but I can't figure out how to mount my disk........is that even possible? Anyway.......I need rescuing, kernel is screwed, if I try to boot from the HDD it just keeps restarting over and over again.

I FIXED THIS: Maybe this is a no brainer for some, but I was able to use: /kernel-backup/mach_kernel.backup

I typed that while starting up and it worked, thank god!!!

Hello,

I am new on the scene. Why cant I install the new 10.4.5 prepatched dvd, Not even with the vmware method. all I get with the -v flag is still waiting for root device. And I cant even use the vmware method because i get the error..."No bootable CD, floppy or hard disk was detected.

To install an operating system, insert a bootable CD or floppy and restart the virtual machine by clicking the Reset button", I feel that I have tried everything that is on this forum, except I don not really understand how, or why I should format my 7 GB HD to HFS if it is already in af? I perfectly happy with what I've got. But I am DL the 10.4.3 just incase it is a version limitation.

Anyway, here is my contribution to the scene.

please let me know if you see something that is obviosly wrong, so that I can check my work. Please pardon my horrible spelling.

here's what I have done so far.

Titled, "Quiet Priest's Guide to MacModding the AMD 64 3800 Presario R4000"

disclaimer: As always check what others have written on the subject before fully commiting to any modding.

download "dd"

download "tiger-x86-flat.img"

unrar the "dd" app into the c drive,

download chain0 and place into c drive

place the largest file (the tigerx86 image file) into the c drive also

Partition your harddrive

follow "Install on a Partition, Simple and Accurate" from the wiki

but I will sum it up:

use partition magic 8...there is no demo that actually works! so buy it. (lol)

resize your partition so that there is 7 GB of free space on the end of your primary drive, and apply.

restart

if you get an error 983... too many error with partition magic

click start run

type cd c:\

type cmd

type chkdsk /f

restart

if no error skip this step

click start run and type cmd

Make sure partition manager is closed

type in the comand prompt

Type Diskpart

Type list disk

type select disk 0

or whatever you need to add osx86 to

Type create partition primary id=af

reminder... if you havent alread done so...

take the tiger-x86-flat.img file out of the folder and place it in the c drive, and unrar the DD zip file directly into the c drive

How to copy osx86

click start run type cmd

type dd.exe

type dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 bs=512 skip=63 --progress

wait up to an hour

how to dual boot

place the "chain0" file in the c drive with all its extra files

click start, control panel, system, advanced, click the startup and recovery settings, save as backupstartupsettings,

highlight and copy

C:\chain0="Mac OS x86"

place your cursor back at the end of the text "backupstartupsettings"

click edit paste

click file save

restart.

Enjoy Beautiful OSx on a PC

Hey Quiet Priest, sorry to hear you were having troubles...

Am I right in saying that the above guide you wrote is for 10.4.1? Just so others know... :)

thanks for the guide.. hoping I can get some help.. I'm trying to use the 10.4.4/5 PrePatched myzar DVD to do the install as shown in this thread.. I was able to follow everything fine, but when I start up VMware I get the message:

No bootable CD, floppy or hard disk was detected.

To install an operating system, insert a bootable CD or floppy and restart the virtual machine by clicking the Reset button.

I have the DVD image mounted in Daemon, as Device 1, VMware is pointing at the correct drive letter, I set the drive as persistant, but nothing. I disabled the floppy in the virtual machine and still the same thing.

Could the problem be that the DVD image is on a SATA drive?

Edit: nope, moved it to an IDE drive and same thing.

Hi, and thanks for the great vmware guide :thumbsdown_anim:

Installing OSX x86 with vmware (Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.4.X86-HOTiSO)

I manage to get to get the install screen up, and also manage to partition the hd in the disk utility.

All seems to go well, the program successfully manages to check the installation DVD, then installs

the OSX. However once i reboot virtual pc thru vmware, i am left looking at a blank screeen with an

underscore halfway along. Any ideas. I'm not sure if the above iso is prepatched.

* PROBLEM SOLVED. http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/....php/t9925.html *

:D

System:

AMD XP 4200+ X2

2 gig ram

2 x 250 SATA II WD 8mb

radeon x300 gfx card

pioneer 110D

Windows XP 64

thanks in advance

Another thing to point out when installing. Make sure your HDD jumper pin is not set to cable select. Set it to master or slave NOT cable select. I had may problems with installing until I changed my jumpers, and USE Daemon tools to mount the iso. No other program worked for me.

Kris

Hehe, glad you guys got your problems solved.

@Cyaneyes: I have no idea what would be causing that issue...

Just a suggestion: Why dont you try pointing the drive to the ISO image, just to see whether it'll work. Of course, this doesn't work for most other people, but it's worth a shot :)

Hehe, glad you guys got your problems solved.

@Cyaneyes: I have no idea what would be causing that issue...

Just a suggestion: Why dont you try pointing the drive to the ISO image, just to see whether it'll work. Of course, this doesn't work for most other people, but it's worth a shot ;)

Sorry, should have mentioned.. already tried it. Same issue. I just checked my jumper settings and none of them are cable select. All my hardware is supposed to be compatable.

The problem happens with 10.4.4/5 PrePatched myzar and also with 10.4.3 8F1111A Patched Jas v4.2b

I do get one funny message from VMware I haven't seen referenced:

Your host's BIOS does not have valid NUMA information. Please update the host's BIOS or associate the virtual machine with the processors in a single NUMA node (CEC). Please read VMware Knowledge Base articles 928 and 1236.

My CPU is a 3800 X2. I don't know that this would keep an install from working, though.

I've only tried the VMware install method because I haven't had any luck burning DVDs. I keep getting I/O errors trying to install, although the images are valid and are recognized as bootable. Strange I'm having such problems using the same methods and images everyone else is. :)

Hello and sorry for my english (I'm french)

I've an error message when Darwin is loading...

erreur7gf.jpg

I've read some documents about this problem, and I've added "/PAE" to my boot.ini file, I've rebooted my computer but the problem continue...

Do you have any idea please?

@cyaneyes

I had a similar boot problem on my vmware i did this:

I created the virtual machine using a regular HD image file. after that was working i added a 2nd virtual hardrive pointing to the physical drive with persistant.

This way everything worked, i esc'd on boot, chose boot from cd, and installed to the physical drive. After that it was ok to delete de HD that pointed to the image.

-----------------------------------

Now my problem, i might have forgotten to install the patch for SS3 emu (using A64 3200) so safari crashes on me a lot i thought it was included with the amd one. am i rite ? or does safari crash a lot anyway.

Regards.

The problem is, on step 4 that you listed above, I don't see my harddisk, much less any partitions except for the virtual ide cdrom drive.

It is as if vmware/osx cannot initialize the usb controller or the USB drive to which I wish to install OSX.

Soldat is right, when tring to install onto a usb hard drive, it's not listing any hdd.

ex: http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/6024/di...lnodrive8vo.jpg

I'm trying to use VMWare for the native install because I heard that using it allows the use of a ps2 and usb keyboard and mouse combo respectivly. (When I tried without VMWare earlier, I couldn't type with the keyboard during install and when setting it up, it tells me to plug in the keyboard. I'm hoping somehow a VMWare to Native install will help me yet I keep getting hung up on steps like these.)\

so..any ideas about usb?

alrighty, first let me say a big thank you to SABR and everyone else who is helping out with this installation method.

Ive had alot of problems with my physical dvd drive in my laptop, im guessing because it is not connected as the master or something similiar, just keeps giving me the "still waiting for root device" error....haha

anyways, with your guide i set up the vmware, mounted the iso and then started the machine, only problem is i cant get into the boot menu, or the setup or use any other of the listed hotkeys to boot from my mounted iso image

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot guys

sry, for teh double post, i swear i do actually use forums...haha...my computer just spazzed out, if a forum moderator could please delete one of my posts to hide my ignorance it would be greatly appreaciated

yes, i do mean the buttons like ESC, F2 etc etc, thank you for the suggestion, i will try that and get back to you

EDIT: Thank you very much, i can now boot from the image but get this error

"Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA. You will need to configure your guest operating system to use DMA when communicating with DVD/CD-ROM devices.

Note that some operating systems will report DMA is available without actually using it. In those cases, normal CD-ROM operations will still be available, but special features will only be available if you reconfigure the virtual device as a SCSI device."

Any ideas?...i have a feeling this is another complete noob question....sry guys, but thanks for being patient

mm yep that was one of my problems too!

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8070/osboot3jc.jpg

that's what happens after that error/warning dialogue box

With my first idea, "Just trying to run the os", I get the 10 sec darwin countdown and then this text appears: http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8070/osboot3jc.jpg Before it begins saying "still waiting for root device" vmware says "Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA...."

Ok so I have some questions.

1. Is there any way to make VMWare work faster?

2.Will I be able to use the machine in VMWare and form booting?

BTW im not a complete noob, Im just a noob at thie method. Ive installed 10.4.1 and now im going for 10.4.5. So you don't really have to use water down terms lol

alrighty, first let me say a big thank you to SABR and everyone else who is helping out with this installation method.

Ive had alot of problems with my physical dvd drive in my laptop, im guessing because it is not connected as the master or something similiar, just keeps giving me the "still waiting for root device" error....haha

anyways, with your guide i set up the vmware, mounted the iso and then started the machine, only problem is i cant get into the boot menu, or the setup or use any other of the listed hotkeys to boot from my mounted iso image

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot guys

I don't mean to patronise you or anything, but when you start the Virtual Machine, do you click the Virtual Machine's... uhmm... part of the window? You have to click in the virtual machine and then press ESC to select what to boot from, otherwise it won't recognise anything you press because your in Windows, and not the Virtual Machine. :angry:

If you do do that, then what version of VMWare Workstation are you using?

Good luck! :idea:

Ok so I have some questions.

1. Is there any way to make VMWare work faster?

2.Will I be able to use the machine in VMWare and form booting?

BTW im not a complete noob, Im just a noob at thie method. Ive installed 10.4.1 and now im going for 10.4.5. So you don't really have to use water down terms lol

1) From the wiki: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...dBoost_Part_III (look for Speed Boost Part III)

2) Yes, you should be able to use the machine to boot Natively, and from VMWare :)

OK after like 5 Hours it installed, But now my graphics don't work. Herees waht ive done.

1. Edited Kext files to match my pc

2. chmod -R 755 appleintel***

3. chown -R root:wheel appleinte***

I saw that appleintel830.kext was gone, is support for 845g graphics gone?