What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

so, about bugs, 4870, dvi1 port connected to dvi display, all works, if u connect it to dvi2 port on the fly, u will not get screen output untill reboot

How come i cant get my 4870 to work? I have tried with the framework, without it, with dvi2vga, every combination.

I will try just 1 monitor with dvi1 now.

But usually a get 2 blue screens and then a reboot after about 30 seconds or so.

I just found, in 261 ATIFramebuffer.kext, there is two new framebuffers (compared to 222) - Cardinal and Motmot

well im posting from leopard. Only using dvi 1 with dvi. Seems to have worked.

No QE/CI cause, gonna replace framework. brb

Great, my 4850 is working! (with bouncy effect... :P)

I have DVI-connector on 1st connector and dvi2vga on second.

I have Accelero Twin Turbo installed on my graphics card, at first the fans didn't spin at all, but I made small tweaking with ATi bios editor (@winxp) and now it's running pretty cool.

I also noticed that parallels doesn't work too well with these drivers, the virtual machine screen keeps flickering like crazy :thumbsup_anim:

Big thanks for the drivers!

ok i installed netkas readeon hd 48xo drivers then repaired permissions with disk utlility on a msi 4850 radeon card works great i get resolution at 1680x1050 with quartz extreme supported also i did not replace the open gl framework but i get a bouncy screen every 5 seconds replaced the dvi to vga on both slot and still the same. does any one have fixed this problem,

Me too No QE/CI on saphire 4870 512.

Ok i got mine to work. AFter you have install pkg and framework. Try reinstalling pkg, then shutdown! and reboot with -f.

This worked for me QE/CI smoothness :(

Thanks everyone good work.

so, some tests with 261 atifb:

Flicker, boots with dvi at dvi1 , if i try to connect anything to dvi2 - black screen until reboot

Motmot, boots with dvi at dvi1 , if i try to connect anything to dvi2 - it ignores it and continue to work on dvi1

Cardinal, boots with dvi at dvi1 , if i try to connect anything to dvi2 - it tries to act like Motmot but freezes system.

Some additional observations concerning screen jerking.

I've did fresh install of iDeneb v1.3 (10.5.5) and netkas driver without framework. Jerking is still present so I can only conclude that it doesn't depend on Leo version. Luckily jerking stops if some OpenGL application is active. While I'm typing this post I have GioFX OpenMark minimized and no jerking at all. Very strange. :thumbsup_anim:

Its not about the visual difference, the driver netkas provided works well, but some ppl including me did not get QE/CI with the driver alone. Only after installing the OpenGL.Framework from 10.5.7 QE/CI works.

Hmm, ok - were you running 10.5.6?

The diference here that I can see is that your card has memory clock of 1100Mhz (2200MHz effectively) factory setting wheres mine (Asus EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M) has 1050MHz (2100MHz effectively). SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512MB has memory clock of 993MHz (1986 MHz effectevly). Maybee memory clock difference is significant.

cybland, the Gainward Golden Sample also has a GPU core clock of 700MHz (as opposed to the 625MHz standard). I will see if I can edit my 4850's BIOS to include these new speeds and report back... Hopefully I don't kill it, otherwise I'm going to have to pull out my old 7800GT =/

Posible solutions for screen jerking

Solution 1. I flash my visiontek 4850 videocard with the lastest sapphire BIOS and the jerking is gone, but now I have kernel panic on sleep and shutdown, also the screen goes blue on resolution change.

Solution 2. Only install natit.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext, this way yo dont get QE/CI, but you get display reconized, the jerking is gone and u can use native resolution.

This is the link for the BIOS

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/20721/S...512.080723.html

Any ideas for kernel panic?

cybland, the Gainward Golden Sample also has a GPU core clock of 700MHz (as opposed to the 625MHz standard). I will see if I can edit my 4850's BIOS to include these new speeds and report back... Hopefully I don't kill it, otherwise I'm going to have to pull out my old 7800GT =/

Might be the case. My Asus TOP edition has GPU clock factory set to 680 MHz. What do you make of this no jerking while OpenGL app is running (even if it's minimized)?

What do you make of this no jerking while OpenGL app is running (even if it's minimized)?

That's interesting. I didn't see your post about that. But that really is weird... If the jerking stops when an OpenGL app is open, then that would lead me to believe that the clock speeds (core/memory) have no effect.

:S

Hi,

I've tried the package on my Boot 132 installation of Mac OS X 10.5.6 with a 512MB Golden Sample 4870 card but got a black screen (no outpout).

My screen is VGA and the card has many connectors:

4870gs.th.jpg

I've tried on VGA and DVI via an adapter but did'nt work. Does someone have a solution or has tried with the same card on HDMI or Display Port ?

Thanks