What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Status update for my hd4850.

I installed OpenGL Extensions Viewer, tried to make tests and my screen is getting bugged at OpenGL 1.3 test. Theres lots of bugs on screen and i can't do anything. Only restart.

prozacc if I remember correctly you had to use OpenGL.framework from 10.5.7 to get QE/CI? I have completely opposite situation. I have no QE/CI with that framework. I have to use original one from 10.5.6 (or in iDeneb the 10.5.5 one, although they might be the same - haven't checked). With original frameworks I have no problems and OpenGL Extensions Viewer completes all tests (except 3.0 which is not supported totally by this driver/framework combo).

H17737

plug hdmi->dvi connector to hdmi port and then plug dvi->vga connector to previous connector, then plug dvi screen into DVI port

Could'nt try lacking of hardware (my hdmi adpter is dvi-i and my vga dvi-h). So will buy one as soon as I find an opened store and then try again. But, anyway thanks for your help

Could'nt try lacking of hardware (my hdmi adpter is dvi-i and my vga dvi-h). So will buy one as soon as I find an opened store and then try again. But, anyway thanks for your help

Hi!

Get one, its worth it, because it works!

Same card, same problems, used the hdmi adapter that came with the card,

a dvi adapter I already had, works!

I have problems changing the resolution, but had already hard code it, so no

real problem ...

QE seems to work, had already updated Open GL framework before though.

How do I test it? Did not pay attention before the driver install and this is

the first version of Mac Os since 6.x on a Apple Emulator on the Atari TT ...

Great work guys!

I FOUND THE SOLUTION FOR THE SCREEN BOUNCING/JERKING FOR 4850

After trying many bioses I found the problem is on the clock settings, the memory must be the same speed in all settings, I found this using RBE and looking at the sapphire BIOS and the 4870 stock, so I put the same speed (993 MHz for memory clock) and it works!, this fix the kernel panic with the sapphire bios, and fixes sleep and resolution change. You still need to use the DVIVGA adapter.

Here is the BIOS I use ATI4850custom.zip is for reference card so it should work for any 4850, or you can try editing your videocard bios with RBE

Be careful when flashing your card, I'm not responsible for any damage to your card.

Posible solutions for screen jerking

Solution 1. I flash my visiontek 4850 videocard with the lastest sapphire BIOS and the jerking is gone, but now I have kernel panic on sleep and shutdown, also the screen goes blue on resolution change.

Solution 2. Only install natit.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext, this way yo dont get QE/CI, but you get display reconized, the jerking is gone and u can use native resolution.

This is the link for the BIOS

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/20721/S...512.080723.html

Any ideas for kernel panic?

Hi!

Get one, its worth it, because it works!

Same card, same problems, used the hdmi adapter that came with the card,

a dvi adapter I already had, works!

I have problems changing the resolution, but had already hard code it, so no

real problem ...

QE seems to work, had already updated Open GL framework before though.

How do I test it? Did not pay attention before the driver install and this is

the first version of Mac Os since 6.x on a Apple Emulator on the Atari TT ...

Great work guys!

Have you tried SwitchResX to change resolution ?

Thanks for the feedback though now I can buy the adapter fearlessly

prozacc if I remember correctly you had to use OpenGL.framework from 10.5.7 to get QE/CI? I have completely opposite situation. I have no QE/CI with that framework. I have to use original one from 10.5.6 (or in iDeneb the 10.5.5 one, although they might be the same - haven't checked). With original frameworks I have no problems and OpenGL Extensions Viewer completes all tests (except 3.0 which is not supported totally by this driver/framework combo).

Ok, i'll try it. I though that i don't need to do that if my system is working well, that openGL test proved that i was wrong ;)

After trying many bioses I found the problem is on the clock settings, the memory must be the same speed in all settings, I found this using RBE and looking at the sapphire BIOS and the 4870 stock, so I put the same speed (993 MHz for memory clock) and it works!, this fix the kernel panic with the sapphire bios, and fixes sleep and resolution change. You still need to use the DVIVGA adapter.

Here is the BIOS I use ATI4850custom.zip is for reference card so it should work for any 4850, or you can try editing your videocard bios with RBE

Be careful when flashing your card, I'm not responsible for any damage to your card.

I Have an asus EAH4850 and flashed the sapphire 4850 bios and it did get rid of the bounces but I still have a short freeze when a 'bump' would usually occur. Your custom bios works also but I still get the short freeze and a lower fan speed but no kernel panic when shutting down.

Ok i got mine to work. AFter you have install pkg and framework. Try reinstalling pkg, then shutdown! and reboot with -f.

This worked for me QE/CI smoothness

i followed your directions and it still does the same i have a msi 4850 video card is there any other way to make the screen stop bouncing.

I Have an asus EAH4850 and flashed the sapphire 4850 bios and it did get rid of the bounces but I still have a short freeze when a 'bump' would usually occur. Your custom bios works also but I still get the short freeze and a lower fan speed but no kernel panic when shutting down.

The kernel panic has something to do with the clock settings on the sapphire bios, try to edit your videocard BIOS and just change the memory clock to the same speed.

What would we have to do to get this fix for the 4870, eg change a setting?

What would we have to do to get this fix for the 4870, eg change a setting?

Just edit your videocard BIOS with RBE and use the same memory clock settings in all memory fields, I think is 900MHz for the 4870

post-144172-1235867689_thumb.jpg

WARNING: The 993 value is only for 4850, if you have a 4870 use 900.

Also using the stock reference bios for the 4870 should work too http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/17578/A...512.080617.html

Just edit your videocard BIOS with RBE and use the same memory clock settings in all memory fields, I think is 900MHz for the 4870

Also using the stock reference bios for the 4870 should work too http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/17578/A...512.080617.html

I changed the memory speed to all 993 and it stopped the bouncing and the fan works great but i still get a freeze every 5-10 seconds. Do you get this too?

I can confirm our previous suspicions of memory clock speeds being the culprit for the jerk/bounce effect. I've edited my card's BIOS to have a memory clock speed of 993MHz and all is working fine. :(

I changed the memory speed to all 993 and it stopped the bouncing and the fan works great but i still get a freeze every 5-10 seconds. Do you get this too?

Swap your ports around. That fixed it for me.

i just did hte same updated the bios but i get a freeze every 5- 10 seconds as well also want to mention was updateed aon a msi 4850

Those who are getting freezes every few seconds:

Please try swapping your cables around: So the VGA converter (not hooked up to monitor) is in the one closest to motherboard, and the DVI cable in the other one (hooked up to monitor).

EDIT: Is anyone getting artifacts after flashing their BIOS to 993MHz? Like this:

20090301-kwgkteka2yy2eu27cpmx8ga5wc.jpg

So is dual monitor (DVI, no VGA) possible on the 4870 or not?

No dual monitor. Just one dvi as long as a dvi2vga adapter is in the other dvi slot. *Doesn't need a vga cable and a dvy2hdmi adapter doesn't work.)

picture2u.th.png

I can confirm our previous suspicions of memory clock speeds being the culprit for the jerk/bounce effect. I've edited my card's BIOS to have a memory clock speed of 993MHz and all is working fine. :)

Swap your ports around. That fixed it for me.

THX, fixed it for me also!

:(

I will wait then, I have 2 monitors and would like to be able to use both properly :(

I want to be able to have it so I can have Windows XP running in a VM on one and Mac for the main one.

Then I wanna re-boot in to the XP if I need to play games - my pal tells me it's possible.

Fingers crossed.

black screen, screen jerkness or forzen, only output in DVI port2.... . It's seems this kext driver still a beta version :P , better wait for the finally official 10.5.7 release.

My 4850 is Powercolor HD4850 ,it has 3 connectors : HDMI+Display port+DVI :( ,so if anyone tells me that means the "second DVI" in this card is HDMI port ?

sorry for my english~

:( WARNING!!! PLEASE READ!!! WRONG SETTINGS CAN KILL YOUR CARD

:P BE CAREFUL!!! if your card is 4870 yo have to set the speed to 900MHz, the 993 value is just for 4850, maybe thats why you are getting freezes

Those who are getting freezes every few seconds:

Please try swapping your cables around: So the VGA converter (not hooked up to monitor) is in the one closest to motherboard, and the DVI cable in the other one (hooked up to monitor).

EDIT: Is anyone getting artifacts after flashing their BIOS to 993MHz? Like this:

20090301-kwgkteka2yy2eu27cpmx8ga5wc.jpg

:excl: WARNING!!! if your card is 4870 yo have to set the speed to 900MHz, the 993 value is just for 4850, maybe thats why you are getting artifacts

WARNING: The 993 value is only for 4850, if you have a 4870 use 900.

Editing the bios of your video card is a bit extreme. I think maybe wait till proper kexts come. Prob wont be that long.

But i may try this lol.