EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

I sent them a mail and got this reply... interesting bit on laptops.

Dear Jacco Hoeve,

Hi, Whats the price?

No info availible yet.

Is there a dealer for The Netherlands?

Planed - yes , but dont have any rightnow.

Do you plan on making a laptop version?

Not only plan, but already exist one, but it will not be published on June 23.

Best Regards

Wilhelm von Vnukov

Going commercial isn't exactly my idea of a beautiful ending. Even then, patching files is half the fun of using OSx86 :D

well yes but the ultimate goal(in my opinion) is to make installing osx on mac as easy as installing osx on pc. So yes it's awesome and its easy. but it is commercial and uhh u know.

People, stop posting good ideas! They are reading this thread and taking ideas from it as shown by the PCI version of EFI-X. Oh great, now they are going to use nameless2k's method for protecting the software:

:D

well copycats: post partly removed... :D

Does EFiX device support AMD processors?

No, at this moment we do not offer support for AMD systems.

Do you plan on making a laptop version?

Not only plan, but already exist one.

I would like to test your product.

We offer EFiX test devices mainly for review purposes only.

Just wondering, will all hardware work with installed EFiX device?

If it does, we will wonder too, because support for refrigerators, microwaves, mouse-pads etc. not implemented yet

It was a surprise as your website doesn't seems to work for email sending...

We are surprised too, but it work all the time.

Aha so it is plagued by the same limitations as what we have today, except it allows retail DVD installs.

Yeah I never saw how this was anything amazing or new in a technical sense, it isn't going to make much easier for anyone I dont think. It might help, but if you still have to fix things then it's only going to help people already benefiting from the osx86 scene.

Seeing how the commercialization will go will be the interesting thing.

Aha so it is plagued by the same limitations as what we have today, except it allows retail DVD installs.

Yeah I never saw how this was anything amazing or new in a technical sense, it isn't going to make much easier for anyone I dont think. It might help, but if you still have to fix things then it's only going to help people already benefiting from the osx86 scene.

Seeing how the commercialization will go will be the interesting thing.

I've been speaking to one of the devs. You all will be quite amazed by what they have in store.

-Stell

No, it couldn't be, because even with PC_EFI or Chameleon (another fake EFI implementation), those both cannot boot vanilla retail DVDs and installs can't survive a vanilla 10.5.3 update even with PC_EFI. So whether it be software or hardware that they have in that dongle. its something unique that we haven't seen before.

It's not that unique, I suppose. It is almost the same way like using a kalyway DVD to boot a retail DVD, but technically advanced and automated. Abstraction layer for EFI to BIOS and emu responses for "dont steal macos x.kext". Not too complicated in the end. More a matter of diligence...

Since this USB dongle is required each time you boot, the abstraction layer is always present before the system boots. it doesn't matter what is written in the MBR. Therefore autoupdates can be installed without any hazzle.

almost like a root kit booted from USB...

cubase 4 & usb dongle - uncrackable

Hm. Why am I running Cubase SX4 without a dongle? It's been out for a while now.

Or was this meant ironic? Or maybe I just have another SX4 version?!

Confusing :)

netkas, as you are the only one who tested it you got priviliged information about that, but I guess you also can't say nothing until the reelease.

But could you please inform if it will be revolutionary or just an alternative to kalyway and leo4all dvd's?

They spelled Ukraine in Russian. Those {censored}s. *shakes fist*

You think that's bad? In some of the airports in Ukraine they still use old stamps that have it spelled in Russian.

Hmm, the EFiX says that this in not just a USB stick; I don't all together trust it. Seems kind of {censored} though that you have to keep the USB in to boot, but the fact that updates go through is amazing. I would assume for this to work the OS would have to use the USB stick not just as boot, but at least during updates as well, but that is first of all odd and might be a bit slow. Anyway, cool project either way, hope we can get more explaination from someone (like netkas) soon.

I don't know or heard a software/ hardware that hasn't been hacked so relax ppl.

avid xpress pro and avid media composer have been cracked on winblows, but they're still hardware locked (by usb dongle) on macintosh computers.

hoping someone will prove me i'm wrong :D

yep, everything seems too secret... But netkas doesn't say too much so I just expect that's because we would see something great and revolutionar.

A lot of kexts for wireless, sound... installed by default without selecting anything? Unfortuntaley I don't think so...

We would have to wait until netkas reveals something else or until 23rd!!!

It seems to me the biggest question mark is hardware support. Netkas has already stated that it updates just like a "real" mac which would be a nice improvement for a lot of users, but what about your hardware? I haven't upgraded past 10.5.1 because of my video card (Nvidia 7300 LE... don't laugh :blink: ).