[How To] GMA900 with QE and CI support on Leopard.

Andy4life

365 posts in this topic

this tutorial is great! makes OSX so much faster now. Though I'm having lots of artifacting in anything with transparency or any right click/pull down menus, I'm gonna try what made it work for sansey in a little bit. let you know how it goes.

I just installed 10.5.1 today, so I'm pretty damn new.

*edit*

as long as I press Fn+F7 during the gray loading screen a couple times my computer will boot into 10.5.1 no problem with no external monitor attached. Everyone in this thread is awesome. Everything it working now except the ability to dim my screen.

IBM z60t

Intel Pentium M 760 2.0GHz

14.1" WXGA screen (1280 x 768)

2 GB DDR2 667MHz SDRAM

64mb shared Intel GMA 900

Atheros Wireless Card

Leopard 10.5.1 kalyway (installed with SSE2, Audio Driver, and MBR)

Have you tried the paperclip trick on the external vga port? I have a x41 running Tiger. I used to have to press fn+F7 while booting until i put a small piece of wire jumping the 2 pins on the external port. Search the forum for the exact pins. Works like a charm though.

Hi,

Thanks to all for this solution, :P

I have a HP DC7100 With Kaliway 10.5.3, with kext from flibblesan, GMA 900 is working, but in safari when play quicktime movies looks green, in firefox works fine, DVD Player don't work, VLC works OK to play DVD's and any Video.

I want to use Front Row or other MediaCener, but, DVDPlayer don't works and when play video o trailers the image is green!!!

Any one with this problem?

Cheers :D

strange. i don't have any artifacts except for a second on my SSE3 programs that crash on me. DVD player even works without a fight with just SSE2. I'm actually quite impressed.

Ok, I can confirm that the method works. Right now Im watching a movie with the DVD PLAYER, my screen is acelerated. (qe/ci) . If you want to avoid artifacts the leopard graphics update is a must. prior to install the modified GMA files.

yeah. i need 10.5.3 for SSE2. I just try to do Prasys manual installation of it and ended with a kernel panic and the inability to boot.

EDIT:

I zipped my configuration for Dev 2592 that is working perfectly, with NO artifacts. This solution involved using a combination of the files that have been posted around this thread and finally finding the right bunch so that i had the right AppleIntegratedframeBuffer and kext combination, as i was getting only a blue screen or a completely hosed configuration with all the previously described methods.

Thank you very much. HP DC7100 work onlu with you solution!

all works fine on my dell d610 10.5.1 install.

except quicktime movie trailers all look black/white and garbled.

vlc works fine, only quicktime does weird.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing too. Anything that uses Quicktime for decoding (web video, in iTunes, front row). I'll look into it later, though.

h2a, you are an absolute GOD!!!!

After months and months of waiting and waiting, i am finally staring at my HP dv1000 laptop with Leopard 10.5.2 running with full QE CI!! You cannot understand how much this means...

Everybody who has contributed to this thread, you have all done an exceptional job, and the community can never thank you all enough!

We were ignored, shut up, ridiculed when we asked about GMA900 support, and now with all your help we've even surpassed many of the graphics card support out there!!!

Excellent job lads, you should all be proud!!

Now all i need is to find a way to get 10.5.4 working on my non-vanilla SSE2 laptop and it would be nirvana lol.. No idea how that's gonna happen though.. lol

After months and months of waiting and waiting, i am finally staring at my HP dv1000 laptop with Leopard 10.5.2 running with full QE CI!! You cannot understand how much this means...

Now all i need is to find a way to get 10.5.4 working on my non-vanilla SSE2 laptop and it would be nirvana lol.. No idea how that's gonna happen though.. lol

Very nice, I use a HP dv1000 as well. haha. If you find it out, hit me up, I would be glad to know, too.

Very nice, I use a HP dv1000 as well. haha. If you find it out, hit me up, I would be glad to know, too.

I also use HP dv1000 and it's been taking forever to get a solid 10.5.x running. Are you guys using the 1,6 pin trick/external monitor, or just the laptop itself with a working version of 10.5.2? Also, how did you guys get QE/CI working? Transparency? I need help with this too. Maybe if we get it to work, you/we can compile a tutorial to help SSE2 900 GMA users... Thanks.

with all the given solution, all i did wall copy these 2 AppleIntelGMA950 & AppleIntelGMA950GA and don't delete anything. but install them with kext helper.. reboot after that its all working even dvd,front row,photo booth,

These are my specs:

Pentium M 1.73 Ghz

2gb RAM

120GB harddisk

GMA900 videocard

I also use HP dv1000 and it's been taking forever to get a solid 10.5.x running. Are you guys using the 1,6 pin trick/external monitor, or just the laptop itself with a working version of 10.5.2? Also, how did you guys get QE/CI working? Transparency? I need help with this too. Maybe if we get it to work, you/we can compile a tutorial to help SSE2 900 GMA users... Thanks.

Its quite easy actually, just do exactly what h2a did a few posts ago: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0176&st=40# including the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 bit and all.. Make sure you follow every word of it!! And then you should have working everything really.. Front Row etc. I am running Leo4Allv3 10.5.2, and its running very smoothly..

Quicktime also seems to be working fine after upgrading to the latest version.

Still having Speedstep problems however under an SSE2 processor... It slows down the system like mad! But without it, my CPU runs hoooot!!

I suggest primitive method to fix this problem which work on my GMA900:

1. Copy only 2 files from "Andy4life" package – AppleIntelGMA950 & AppleIntelGMA950GA to /system/library/extensions

2. Remove extensions.mkext

3. Repair permitions

Result:

post-223717-1213393446_thumb.jpg

For All who replace all 5 files and destroyed graphic I attach native from 10.5.1

GMA950_from_10_5_1.zip

For this operation I recomended use "Kext Helper"

Hey all,

Just wanted to report this variation from Sansey works w/ the HP TC4200 running Kalyway 10.5.1 and Im not getting any tearing or artifacts... works like a champ! Frontrow, Flurry (and other .qtz's), dashboard widget "splash", visualizer in iTunes are working. I may have found a fix for higher resolutions using SwitchresX... looks like the program can do rotation for tablets as well but I cant confirm that yet as Im still playing...

Tried Andy4life's fix first but couldnt read anything in the menu's but thanks to Andy4life for posting the topic... dude your posts have helped me out more times than I can count! Yes I remember reading posts from yourself and JAS on the Tiger fix... totally great work man! Thanks to everyone that posts!

May the Force be with you all,

Jedi Reeves

h2a, you are an absolute GOD!!!!

Everybody who has contributed to this thread, you have all done an exceptional job, and the community can never thank you all enough!

We were ignored, shut up, ridiculed when we asked about GMA900 support, and now with all your help we've even surpassed many of the graphics card support out there!!!

Excellent job lads, you should all be proud!!

aw thanks ;) i just wanted to offer the same solution i was using that worked from the combination of things available in this thread. i have a lovely working Hackintosh running leopard with only 2 glitches --- sleep, and sound doesn't work with headphones properly (sigmatel 9200)

Its quite easy actually, just do exactly what h2a did a few posts ago: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0176&st=40# including the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 bit and all.. Make sure you follow every word of it!! And then you should have working everything really.. Front Row etc. I am running Leo4Allv3 10.5.2, and its running very smoothly..

Quicktime also seems to be working fine after upgrading to the latest version.

Still having Speedstep problems however under an SSE2 processor... It slows down the system like mad! But without it, my CPU runs hoooot!!

Wow! Thanks. Were you able to get Leo4Allv3 working without any errors? Because I've tried the 2 previous versions and it resulted with an error once the disks were inserted. And you're not using the external monitor/2 pin trick right? Again, thank you so much.

yeah. i need 10.5.3 for SSE2. I just try to do Prasys manual installation of it and ended with a kernel panic and the inability to boot.

EDIT:

I zipped my configuration for Dev 2592 that is working perfectly, with NO artifacts. This solution involved using a combination of the files that have been posted around this thread and finally finding the right bunch so that i had the right AppleIntegratedframeBuffer and kext combination, as i was getting only a blue screen or a completely hosed configuration with all the previously described methods.

Using Dell Inspiron B120 laptop

Instructions:

DOWNLOAD THIS

*not sure if step 1 and 2 are necessary but i did it*

1. Download and install Leopard Graphics Update BUT DO NOT RESTART when it promts you

2. Delete the following from system/library/extensions

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3. Allow the graphics update to restart

4. Take the files from my zip and apply them with Kext Helper (included)

5. Reboot.

this was my first attempt at writing instructions so if its missing something or isn't coherent let me know.

Thank you so much!! This method finally worked for my system. :D

Dell XPS M140 (630M)

Intel GMA 900 device id: 2592

Kalyway 10.5.1 w/the combo update to 10.5.2

I now have QE/CI supported!! :(

Thanks to everyone else who helped, and especially to Andy4Life for bringing this project back to life!! :D

I'am a user from China . I do as Andy4life's method. It works, but has menu artifacts. And this is the only problem. Quicklook and Preview for pictures and PDFs are OK .

I use see2 CPU celeron M 1.6G,GMA900 and 10.5.1 iAtkos 1.0ir2.

Thanks all the guys for doing this research ! Thank you Andy4life!!

Thank you guys for all the effort you put in to this guide, after having some problems with my GMA950(no QE/CI).

Now i got QE/CI and able to change resolutions!!

Thanks again for this lovely guide! -_-

I suggest primitive method to fix this problem which work on my GMA900:

1. Copy only 2 files from "Andy4life" package – AppleIntelGMA950 & AppleIntelGMA950GA to /system/library/extensions

2. Remove extensions.mkext

3. Repair permitions

Result:

post-223717-1213393446_thumb.jpg

For All who replace all 5 files and destroyed graphic I attach native from 10.5.1

GMA950_from_10_5_1.zip

For this operation I recomended use "Kext Helper"

it works!!!!!!! I use ATKOS_v1.0ir2 THANKS!

@adsl12345

i already said that you only have to install the AppleIntelGMA950 & AppleIntelGMA950GA using kext helper and do not remove anything. but 1st remove to old files from /system/library/extensions same as the one you want to install using kext helper and after that repair permission and all will be fine..