[How To] GMA900 with QE and CI support on Leopard.

Andy4life

365 posts in this topic

Update: Just edited the GMA950.kext from the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 and it works. Installed the update first, removed all Intel kexts except for GMA950. Using the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext included, I get no resolution change (and adding 1440x900 to com.apple.Boot.plist caused the system to stop booting). So I've used the kext that Andy4Life has in his pack, and this gives me resolution change. No artifacts as yet. I wonder if using the older framebuffer kext will cause any problems. If only I could get resolution change working with the new one. I'll take a look at the files.

Edit: Some artifacts using Toast 9. Nothing major and they disappear when moving the mouse.

nope I haven't where can I get an older one? Could you please upload one for me to experiment with?

I cant I do not have it here (Mac Pro and Dell Lappy are on 10.5.3)

But you can extract it from any 10.5.0 or 10.5.1 Installation DVD (Retail, iATKOS, Kalyway, etc) or Apple Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update.

VERY NICE, I've been looking for something like this for some time now, and from what I've seen it works very well. Looks like I've got a little problem though, the same one that was shown by someone before in the thread. Love the fix so far, you're a beast.

Check this out. With all menus that have transparency (it makes it kind of hard to attach an image!):

post-66022-1213376193_thumb.png

post-66022-1213376281_thumb.png

What do you think about that? I've been trying to mess with it but haven't gotten anywhere.

I suggest primitive method to fix this problem which work on my GMA900:

1. Copy only 2 files from "Andy4life" package – AppleIntelGMA950 & AppleIntelGMA950GA to /system/library/extensions

2. Remove extensions.mkext

3. Repair permitions

Result:

post-223717-1213393446_thumb.jpg

For All who replace all 5 files and destroyed graphic I attach native from 10.5.1

GMA950_from_10_5_1.zip

For this operation I recomended use "Kext Helper"

hi everybody

for your info i'am new to leopard pc user.

i have been so far to so many corners trying to have my bl.... gma 900 working with leopard, i can feel today you all reached a great step, thanks Andy4life for your input !

I am very excited about it, it is 2 am in france and i'am in front of my screen for 3 hours non-stop trying this trick !

1st I couldn't download the 1st torrent to GMA 900 Kext files I just don't get the thing with the cats goes ok !!!!?

anyway i downloaded the http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4A1WTRYN version with not cats.

1. cd /

2. cd /system/library/extensions/

3. chmod -R 755 AppleIntelGMA950.kext

4. chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelGMA950.kext

5. chmod -R AppleIntegratedframeBuffer.kext

6. chown -R root:wheel AppleIntegratedframeBuffer.kext

I do everythink ok till the point 5 at which I got a response in a form of the format of the chmod function as I typed it wrong ?

Actually what could i have made wrong at step 5, is it a pb of writing or file ? etc ?

please I got stuck in here and I really don't see any hope.

Sorry I might sound green but again I have only 2weeks of hackingtosh knowledge and this ktext stuff to alter is quite a difficult task to me.

Again any clue would be enormously appreciated :D

On step 5 that aas a typo in his part (I believe).

Instead youre going to want to type:

Chmod -R 755 AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext

And then for 6

Chown root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext

Then continue from there.

On step 5 that aas a typo in his part (I believe).

Instead youre going to want to type:

Chmod -R 755 AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext

And then for 6

Chown root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext

Then continue from there.

You are correct that is a typo. I'll edit my original post shortly.

Guys, I'm glad it's working for all of you... You'll have to forgive me, my osx install died yesterday and i've been working for the last 36 hours (straight) trying to get it back up, i'm a very persistent and pedantic person lol. I had some install issues, but it's finally installing as we speak.

So i'll test out some of those kext files some of you have attached, and mentioned once it finishes, and i'll post my progress...

can you use this for 850 or 865 cards
No, sorry. Those are not supported even by Tiger.Guys: If you are trying the kexts that I uploaded, please be aware that I have patched them for my GMA900 DESKTOP - Different device ID than Andy4life. Check your device ID first and either get his pack, or mine.
So i'll test out some of those kext files some of you have attached, and mentioned once it finishes, and i'll post my progress...
Try the extensions from the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 - I seem to be having better success with these. The AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext with this gives me no artifacts, but no resolution changing also (and won't let me hard-code 1440x900 in the com.apple.Boot.plist, sadly). So I am using an older framebuffer which does give me resolution changing, but slight artifacts using some apps like Toast 9.It's almost 4am here, so I'm going to sleep. I'll try and figure out how to get resolution change from the framebuffer sometime over the weekend.

looks like I killed my copy of leopard (was playing with some stuff). Once I get it installed again I'll try and see what I can do to help with that menu issue I posted before.

I'll see how sanseys fix did and then update here.

Thank goodness for apples iPhone. If I didn't have this thing, I wouldn't be able to keep up!

Very very nice, looks like everything is working in top prime with Sanseys fix! Thanks guys, this is awesome. Leopard was amazing BEFORE this, and with graphics this thing is a BEAST. Everything is pretty much working, I even got Time Machine working and it's moving perfectly! I'm sure I'll need to add a few fixes, I'll keep you all posted, though.

post-66022-1213418798_thumb.png

Firstly, thanks to Andy4life for putting his edited kexts online and telling us how he got it working. Thanks to this guy, I got it working on my desktop so I thought I would share my files. I have edited the latest Intel drivers with both my ID and Andy's ID which should cover everybody.

Quick guide: UPDATE - r2 uploaded. Uses 10.5.3 drivers.

1) Ensure your system is running 10.5.3. Download my pack from here and unzip it onto the desktop using OS X. If you need 10.5.2 kexts then download this

2) Remove all intel graphic kexts from /System/Library/Extensions these are:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3) Enter the folder for the pack you downloaded and use kexthelper to drop all the kexts into the system. Then enter the folder that matches your device ID, and use kexthelper to install the AppleGMA950.kext

4) remove Extensions.mkext and reboot.

Included AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is verson 1.4.20.28 which does allow resolution change, but has slight artifacts with heavy applications (for me, anyway).

it worked perfectly, thanks to you all

what a relief for me i really started to fell like n escape from the gma 900 with leopard issue !.

I still have to have my belkin fd7050 v1 for wireless working ! and my acl 880 for sound and then i could at last enjoy plently leopard !

it's not working for me. i've installed the graphics update, rebooted but the display is {censored}ed up. have u remove the kext first and copied the needed one's first and after that rebooted?

What version of leopard are you using? Did you install the leopard graphics update then remove all AppleIntel* video kexts, then drop the files matching your device ID?

If you did this and still doesn't work, what is your device ID please? Can you boot into safe mode -x ?

i'm on 10.5.2

but i think i made a mistake. I've rebooted after i installed the graphics update, before removing the intel kext

yes i can boot with -s, but don't know what kext to remove

btw my device id is 2792

really appreciate the guide, shame im having massive problems. have followed the guide to perfection, but still getting a blue screen.

one question, why are there two lots of folders in your zip file for each device ID? one in gma900 and one in macos folder ? maybe im choosing the incorrecte version ? any advice would be highly helpful.

running this on a laptop if this makes any difference.

thanks

Firstly, thanks to Andy4life for putting his edited kexts online and telling us how he got it working. Thanks to this guy, I got it working on my desktop so I thought I would share my files. I have edited the latest Intel drivers with both my ID and Andy's ID which should cover everybody.

Quick guide:

1) Download and install Leopard Graphics Update (make sure you are running 10.5.2 at least). http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/leo...csupdate10.html

IMPORTANT - DO NOT REBOOT! Remove all intel graphics kexts first then reboot.

2) Remove all intel graphic kexts from /System/Library/Extensions these are:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3) Download GMA900 pack from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HZ8M543A and drop the kexts for YOUR device ID into the extensions folder. Use kexthelper (supplied) as it's easier.

4) remove Extensions.mkext and reboot.

Included AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is verson 1.5.24.9 - this does not give me resolution change, but also does not give me artifacts. If you need resolution change, then you need version 1.4.20.28 which does allow resolution change, but has slight artifacts with heavy applications. You will find this in the folder "to enable resolution change"

Thought I would post a screengrab of it working on my system. I am now using the latest Intel kexts from the Leopard Graphics Update.

really appreciate the guide, shame im having massive problems. have followed the guide to perfection, but still getting a blue screen.

one question, why are there two lots of folders in your zip file for each device ID? one in gma900 and one in macos folder ? maybe im choosing the incorrecte version ? any advice would be highly helpful.

running this on a laptop if this makes any difference.

thanks

What macos folder? Did you unzip this on Windows? I zipped them up on a mac, so I guess it's the hidden folder you can see. You need to use the files in the GMA900 folder, depending on which device ID you have. If you have a blue screen, use the alternative AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext here http://flibblesan.co.uk/AppleIntelGMA950.kext.zip - it might work for you.

I'm unable to test things on other computers. All I know is that these work for myself and a couple of others, but it's really dependent on your device ID etc.