[How To] GMA900 with QE and CI support on Leopard.

Andy4life

365 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I have a intel gma950 with the device id 0x2772. is there someone who has a working kext with no artefacts for this model? i am using leopard 10.5.4 (kalyway 10.5.2 + combo update + reguar update) on a intel d945gclf (intel atom board).

PS: this is my first os x install and i am only playing with it for a few days... so please nothing too complicated

thx

@adsl12345

i already said that you only have to install the AppleIntelGMA950 & AppleIntelGMA950GA using kext helper and do not remove anything. but 1st remove to old files from /system/library/extensions same as the one you want to install using kext helper and after that repair permission and all will be fine..

I did as your steps just now , but it didn't work. It drive me crazy ~!!!!! Does anybody kown how to solve this problem? Help me~

I tried to change the hex device id to 0x29c2 for GMA 3100 (Like the things that Andy4Life did). I've got full resolution now but hang at the blue screen!!

I tried to boot to safe boot (-x) and can get to the OSX. Full resolution in the system preference. Now the one problem is the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext cannot be used in the GMA 3100 (cause hang at Blue Screen). Anyone with GMA 3100???

thanx andy and fibble... i m using fibble's driver, but i think andy's also work...

couple of things to add:

1) I guess this is some laptops: internal monitor doesnt work directly, blue screen and freeze (familiar huh? paper clip method coming next) ... external monitor (mine is 22" 1680x1050) also doesnt work directly but wen external monitor connected, system works however no output is given but it work i know... !

2) so i though of old fashion paper clip method, and it works great... dont know why external monitor doesnt work... and paper clip works...

acer 9503 lappy

mine is gma900

0x25928086

rev 0x0004

no tearing or artifacts as of yet... gonna try tv and dvds to see any effect?

hope it helps some of you

Wow , very exhausted trying and trying , I have an AMILO M1450G (Fujitsu Siemens) and I was trying to install Leopard 10.5.4 (JAS) on it without any success because it wouldn't display anything even using an external monitor or a paperclip, but finally I come with this :

I connected it to an external FUJITSU TFT LCD monitor and set this resolution : "Graphics mode"="1024x768x32@60"

and then it started the process while (console mode) then the image did disappear from the original monitor and display on the external one 'out of frequency' (of course I tried @50 , @70 , @75 , @80 nothing's worked out) , at this moment a switched the external TFT monitor with a regular CRT one and it was a sort of temporary solution and it gave me the ability to continue with the installation process till the end ...

After it rebooted I got stucked on the gray apple screen , and I had to reboot again and set the resolution again and do the same thing with the ext monitors + I added the (rd=disk0s6) otherwise it won't start...

At this phase I got leopard running on the machine with a very bad resolution , and here I found this great thread , I tried Andy's method but it gives me only a blue screen and the mouse black arrow ... and the same thing it has happened when I tried (h2a) method , except I didn't perform the graphics update because it didn't like to continue I guess because I'm running a newer version (10.5.4) ...

So the progress here is that I can finally see the blue light screen without any external monitors or paper clips ...

N.B: when I connect an external monitor now I get the same screen and cursor as my laptop's (like it's been mirrored) , so does it just need to reset something or what , I would appreciate any help here , I'm totally a newbie in this world and I've spent a lot of hours reading on this board , by the way my card's dev is 2529 (that's why I used h2a's)

Thank you very much , all of you :(

{ I have to add this , I can get in console mode -s but i don't know what to do , and using safe mode -x hangs on the blue light screen without the mouse cursor}

Hey guys,

I've got a Dell GX380, with an integrated GMA900. Anyhow, I got flibblesan's initial method working, with the DEV2582 kexts, and the resolution change kext, I get QE/CI with res change, and OpenGL is accelerated. My framerate has never been better!

My image quality, however, isn't. Screenshot attached for max lulz.

Can anyone provide advice as to what the s**t is going on here? Is there even a fix?

- lightguard

post-267634-1219054521_thumb.png

1) I guess this is some laptops: internal monitor doesnt work directly, blue screen and freeze (familiar huh? paper clip method coming next) ... external monitor (mine is 22" 1680x1050) also doesnt work directly but wen external monitor connected, system works however no output is given but it work i know... !

2) so i though of old fashion paper clip method, and it works great... dont know why external monitor doesnt work... and paper clip works...

I have the same problem like you Mysticus , but please how do you paperclipped your VGA port , I mean do you connect 6-12 or you connect 1-11 or (1-6 & 2-12 at the same time)?

Plz anybody can help here , if I use the paperclip , I got only a blue light screen , and if I use an external monitor (TFT) the laptop's monitor displays nothing (turns black) and the external shows a message of (OUT OF RANGE) = A frequency issue , so if I do switch it to another CRT monitor I got OSX working but in a very ugly mode , I barely can see the mouse , it looks stretched and transparent , and the top task bar get diminished and barely visible too!

When I get the blue light screen the mouse cursor looks great , it's the real one , but it hangs there , no more continuing of the startup ,so what's going on!!!!!

I tried this to solve the out of range problem , but it didn't work:

rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver*.plist
rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preference.displays*.plist
rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*.plist
rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.preference.displays*.plist
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver*.plist
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.preference.displays*.plist
rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

UPDATE:

I've used the chinese guy package and I get OSX working on my LAPTOP (Thanks very much to him) but with an external monitor only, other wise if I remove it I get the blue light screen even if with using the paper clip , I get also the resolution changing and the full resolution on my monitor is working 1280x1024 but QE ain't gonna work I don't know why?

So , I'll try to play with it again and I'll post the updates here!

NB:how can I save a screen shot on Leo?

UPDATE:

I've used the chinese guy package and I get OSX working on my LAPTOP (Thanks very much to him) but with an external monitor only, other wise if I remove it I get the blue light screen even if with using the paper clip , I get also the resolution changing and the full resolution on my monitor is working 1280x1024 but QE ain't gonna work I don't know why?

So , I'll try to play with it again and I'll post the updates here!

NB:how can I save a screen shot on Leo?

mate, what are your specs? you can used grab to capture your screen on mac.

mate, what are your specs? you can used grab to capture your screen on mac.

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 1450G:

OS : Leopard 10.5.4 (Jas) + XP Professional + Xandros Home Premium 4

CPU : 2 GHZ Pentium M (Detected as a 2 GHZ , MacPro 3,1)

DDR2 : 1 GB 533 MHZ

Graphic Card: Intel GMA 900/915 (S-Video + DB15 : additional output ports) works on VESA mode under Linux & XP

Wireless : Intel PRO 2200bg

HDD: SATA 80 GB Fujitsu

Sound Card: HDA RealTek ALC 880

FireWire + USB + Card Reader + DVD Burner

Till now everything's fine but I have the mouse tearing but no artifacts , I tried Andy4life package again and fibble's too , almost everything posted here before but still no Quartz Extreme supported and always getting the mouse tearing .

Once before in the 5th reinstallation I guess , I got the stable mouse cursor on my laptop's screen and I noticed the notebooks continued working not just hanging there but it displayed nothing I don't know why , and I don't know what files combination I used!?

Anyway , Leopard now do recognize my crt monitor as a 700e that is really an LG 700e while it gives an out of range on another TFT monitor.

By the way I messed up Darwin Boot Loader coz I couldn't get access but with the INSTALLATION DVD , so I logged into XP somehow and I've used FixMbr so I guess I removed darwin , then I logged into OSX and installed Chameleon , but still get nothing , each time I have to use the installation DVD to get it working! if anyone can help plz , and don't tell me to use the FDisk coz I used all what's written here but still not getting it working , I need to reinstall Darwin manually...

Andy4life..... YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

Sansey...... you come next!! ....for making easier the job..... :(

I spent a lot of time searching googling and so for my poor gma900 to get it to work on leo time ago, and I was even been told that it would have never worked on leopard! Also in future,itt was impossible, just give up! And that is what I did!

dunno why this morning I googled "leo gma900".... just to give the last chance.... but I found this!

simply great! I'm so happy thank you thank you thank you!!!! :)

I've just did the fix, and everything seems to work properly, smooth, no artifacts, frontrow, screensaver, dashboard effects.. uaho! :)

for those who are having problems, newbies with kext replacements etc I would add in the first post the easiest way, don't you think it would be better?

here is exactly what I did (again, nothing new of course, just the mix of Andy4life and Sansey's magnificent advices):

Copy only 2 files from "Andy4life" package – AppleIntelGMA950 & AppleIntelGMA950GA to /system/library/extensions

Open terminal:

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

Here I come with my question, I'm running kalyway 10.5.1, someone knows in which leo releases this trick has been added? I see JaS was going to do so, if he did so, from which version of JaS LEO is the gma900 driver present? Other releases I could try? (I'd prefer to install a newest release from scratch than upgrading manually from kalyway 10.5.1)

bye thanks all!!!

actually after using the system for some time I notice I have some problems with the mouse cursor too :D it freezes sometimes, and it seems to me just with some particular apps. anyway it is not so frustrating till now, so I don't mind to much about that ;)

by the whay, is there someone who does not have any problem at all?

bye all

i have pentium 4 530j 3.0ghz ht

with intel gma 915g graphic card i belive

and system profiler says it's gma900....anyhow

i downloaded your kext files and all, did all step by step,

didn't give me any trouble at all by doing this, just that QE/CI didn't change

but now i'm able to change display resolution~~ yay~, and i'm wondering what i did wrong here lol

when i worked on this graphic card before the fresh copy of osx, it gave me inverted colors, every color was opposite, also no qe/ci support

keum

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people, i'm using Kalyway 10.5.1 and i install this way and i have problems:

Firstly, thanks to Andy4life for putting his edited kexts online and telling us how he got it working. Thanks to this guy, I got it working on my desktop so I thought I would share my files. I have edited the latest Intel drivers with both my ID and Andy's ID which should cover everybody.

Quick guide: UPDATE - r2 uploaded. Uses 10.5.3 drivers.

1) Ensure your system is running 10.5.3. Download my pack from here and unzip it onto the desktop using OS X. If you need 10.5.2 kexts then download this

2) Remove all intel graphic kexts from /System/Library/Extensions these are:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3) Enter the folder for the pack you downloaded and use kexthelper to drop all the kexts into the system. Then enter the folder that matches your device ID, and use kexthelper to install the AppleGMA950.kext

4) remove Extensions.mkext and reboot.

Included AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is verson 1.4.20.28 which does allow resolution change, but has slight artifacts with heavy applications (for me, anyway).

Can you help me to fix transparrent menus...

picture3pw3.th.png

Firstly, thanks to Andy4life for putting his edited kexts online and telling us how he got it working. Thanks to this guy, I got it working on my desktop so I thought I would share my files. I have edited the latest Intel drivers with both my ID and Andy's ID which should cover everybody.

Quick guide: UPDATE - r2 uploaded. Uses 10.5.3 drivers.

1) Ensure your system is running 10.5.3. Download my pack from here and unzip it onto the desktop using OS X. If you need 10.5.2 kexts then download this

2) Remove all intel graphic kexts from /System/Library/Extensions these are:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3) Enter the folder for the pack you downloaded and use kexthelper to drop all the kexts into the system. Then enter the folder that matches your device ID, and use kexthelper to install the AppleGMA950.kext

4) remove Extensions.mkext and reboot.

Included AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is verson 1.4.20.28 which does allow resolution change, but has slight artifacts with heavy applications (for me, anyway).

use these from 10.5.3 they work