[How To] GMA900 with QE and CI support on Leopard.

Andy4life

365 posts in this topic

Here's the kext.

You need to -

1. Revert all your AppleIntelGMA* kexts to the stock ones that come with Leopard. Do NOT use any patched kext from any version other than the proper one for your version of Leopard. I have tested on 10.5.1 as well as 10.5.5. Please also no OpenGL.framework hacking or anything.

2. Use the old AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (1.4.20..., not 1.5.xx...). I have attached a copy. So far I've not tried to find a way to use the updated leopard framebuffer kext, though it is possible with some IOKit hacking.

Once your kexts are all the default ones, install the old framebuffer AND this enabler kext. Reboot.

This is for all GMA900 cards (hopefully). If this works for you, I will make a new HOWTO thread and this thread should be closed because patched drivers are not cool!

And to say this again: This brilliant idea was by dfe - I am just the messenger.

This worked for me on a Lenovo 3000 C100

Intel Pentium M 735A / 1.7 GHz

Mobile Intel 915GM Express

Intel GMA 900

Running iDeneb 10.5.5

Thank you!

so my gma is working, not perfectly but it does the trick. i can still see fragments when working with word but i dont need that paperclip and the desktop is nice and accelerated

BUT

this bloody open gl just wont work properly

basically it works perfectly fine on the 3d-stuff inside the osx like screensavers or visualizations in i-tunes but crashes pretty fast when it comes to something else than that (cinema 4d, archiCAD, games) the only thing that manages to survive for longer than just one frame before crashing is simcity4, it craches after 30 mins or so...

i checked the log and found 2 weird things:

1/2/09 9:37:27 AM SimCity 4[215] Error loading /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelGMA950GA: dlopen(/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelGMA950GA, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelGMA950GA: mach-o, but wrong architecture

1/2/09 9:37:27 AM SimCity 4[215] Cannot find function pointer Intel915GAFactory for factory 80862582-0000-0000-0000-FFFFFFFFFFFF in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x158da3d0 </System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)

i was scratching my head as to the meaning of that... does somebody know what os is trying to say me????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just want to thank everyone in this thread for all of the information.

This forum really is a wealth of information.

Not only did this get my display fixed, it also fixed the problem I was having with Time Machine. Apparently Time Machine requires Quartz Extreme and Core Image.

Anyhow, thanks!

Image running on a Dell E310:

post-349949-1232855989_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I can't boot past Black Screen with Ideneb 10.5.5 - will copying these kexts help, even though I can't do the 'terminal' things (don't have Tiger or anything at all working)?

To be clear, I can drag them over into my install drive via MacDrive but can't access Terminal of course to do what Andy4Life describes...

toby

• 3 weeks later...

I must say, this at first was like "FINALLY!"... Now that I did it, I almost wish I hadn't. First, unless I boot into safe mode, all I get is a black screen and a mouse that doesn't move or a pinwheel that does move. I also still have to use the VGA port jumper (Between 6-12 again) and still have no QE and only Software CI. I do, however, have QGL enabled thanks to OSx86 Tools (Google it). There is one interesting thing I'd like to note, however. Previously, I had fudged an Upgradable setup by selecting incompatible options on the install DVD (Using iAtkos 5i). After doing the software update to 10.5.6, it worked long enough for me to check out the System Preferences and the Graphics had QE, CI, and QGL just from the 10.5.6 update. I was shocked. Now, however, I have 10.5.6 running (Updated via Software Update) and until I installed these Kexts no GMA 900. So I think for me this is a wash. I'm doing this on a Dell Inspiron B130 and have everything EXCEPT sound working.

• 3 months later...
Ladies and Gentlemen I have returned hahaha,

About 3 years ago I brought you the "how to 915/900" for Tiger, left the scene for a while, but now out of boredom I'm back....

Enjoy guys, I'm as happy as ever.

Edit: Forgot to mention my specs lol...

Dell Inspiron 6000

----------------------------------

1.6Ghz Centrino

512DDR 400Mhz

128mb shared Intel GMA 900

Phillips DVD combo drive

Intel wireless 2200 (not working, can't be bothered to try)

Broadcom Network card.

Leopard 10.5.2 - Kalyway.

Humor: I hex edited these files on my vista laptop ahhaha

Thanks mate, finally I can enable QE/ CI on my T43

Great jobs there.. :Salute:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Ladies and Gentlemen I have returned hahaha,

About 3 years ago I brought you the "how to 915/900" for Tiger, left the scene for a while, but now out of boredom I'm back.... And with something I'm sure you'll all love.

Guys, I have to admit I was frustrated as hell reading this forum and reading people say "get new cards etc..." especially when like more than half of us are on laptops!

That's not the attitude we should have around here, now sure I didn't write a whole new driver from scratch, but I still got somewhere... And that's because I was persistent, even apple gave up on this card lol...

So I hope this spells out to everyone not to give up so easy when you can't have things your way... persistence is everything.

So anyway I spent a week reading, and doing some research and within a few hours I had it working (just when i was ready to give up...) attached is a screenshot of my computer with FULL hardware acceleration!

hardwareaccelwn8.jpg

So far I've tested:

• iTunes (Cover Flow)
  • DVD Player
  • VLC
  • Photobooth
  • Frontrow
  • Ripple effect with widgets
  • Quicktime always crashes with me, regardless of this... I think it's just my installation so yeah...

Before we start I want to clearly state the following:

I am not responsible, nor will I be held responsible for any damage this does to your card, monitor, laptop/desktop, Installation of OSX or any other operating system.

As long as you have back-ups you should be fine!

Please do not PM me saying it doesn't work or how do I do this or that, that is what this thread is for.

Also, special thanks to: Proud Bajan - I followed your 950 guide and hexed edited these files.

Now, down to business:

I'll try and make it as simple as I can.

Download the following Kext files from: GMA 900 Kext files

1. Backup all your AppleIntel equivalents in your /system/library/extensions folder

2. Copy these new ones over to that same directory (/system/library/extensions)

3. After you copy these across you may recieve a few errors from OSX saying it couldn't load blah blah, hit ok and ignore them

3. Pull up a terminal window and type the following:

sudo su

<password>

1. cd /
2. cd /system/library/extensions/
3. chmod -R 755 AppleIntelGMA950.kext
4. chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelGMA950.kext
5. chmod -R 755 AppleIntelIntegratedframeBuffer.kext
6. chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedframeBuffer.kext

After doing so open up finder and navigate to /system/library/extensions and delete the extensions.mkext (drag it to your trash).

Then restart and you should be good to go!

Issues:

So far all i've noticed is a little bit of mouse tearing with some intensive apps, like iTunes and Firefox, I'm not sure how to fix this issue, but I'll read up on it. And please if you have any suggestions on how to fix it, post them here :D

Enjoy guys, I'm as happy as ever.

Edit: Forgot to mention my specs lol...

Dell Inspiron 6000

----------------------------------

1.6Ghz Centrino

512DDR 400Mhz

128mb shared Intel GMA 900

Phillips DVD combo drive

Intel wireless 2200 (not working, can't be bothered to try)

Broadcom Network card.

Leopard 10.5.2 - Kalyway.

Humor: I hex edited these files on my vista laptop ahhaha

I did everything like you said - it does NOT WORK. Also I've tried other solutions frpm other guys (including the link of kocoman!). None of them worked. I don't know what to do anymore... It's just Software and no qe...

• 4 weeks later...
I did everything like you said - it does NOT WORK. Also I've tried other solutions frpm other guys (including the link of kocoman!). None of them worked. I don't know what to do anymore... It's just Software and no qe...

Can you not quote the whole message next time, because the reader would focus 100% on the quote instead of your reply

what version of OSX? laptop model?

I am still using 10.5.8 on Aspire 3620

I hope the new http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1492469 10.6.4 kernel will fix the sse3 issue.