[How To] GMA900 with QE and CI support on Leopard.

Andy4life

365 posts in this topic

UPDATE

It's not OmniBook, it is Notebook

You can find specs here

look for RQ260AA#XXX it is my notebook

thanks. it is pretty the same as I have.... so I can't understand why I'm having such boot problems here :|

please make me just the last favour.... can you tell me exactly all the kernel/patches/fixes/drivers and so on you did chose during the iDeneb 10.5.5 install please? so I can try to install it exactly as you and later use the same kexts and OpenGL.framework you linked...

please don't edit your previous post but create a new topic otherwise I don't get email notifications! :(

bye ;)

OK that was my fault to edit my previous post.

I tried to make a clear install of iDeneb10.5.5 v1.3 on the last 10GB space of my notebooks hard drive and it works!!! With all updates.

During the installation i chose

- Additional Fonts

- X11

- Patches 10.5.5 Ready

- Chipset

- ICHx fixed

- Kernel

- Kernel 9.2.0 SpeedStep

- Fix

- AppleSMBIOS OLD Version 1.0.1

- !!! NO VIDIO SELECTED!!!

- Some Applications...

After a successful install I rebooted in single mode and typed:

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

exit

Boot graphics and create account.

After that I copied GMA950 kexts to extensions folder, removed OpenGL.framework from Frameworks folder and copied this OpenGL, repaired permissions and reboot.

Security and iTunes updates (and the oters) is not a problem for my laptop to boot fast in graphics mode with QE/CI and without paperclip

Hey do you guys have some problems with heavier applications , are they closing unexpectedly ? Because that hp 500 looks like older than mine dv4725nr. And i think i messed up with the framework or something , cause now most of the applications i am running are closing..

YEs Apps that use more resources , for example Photoshop, Illustrator, or Traktor Pro , even Firefox closes but it restores the session..

I got an idea. Can it be because I use the StageXNU kernel ?

I can try with the Sleep kernel or SpeedStep. I don't know the difference, What's SpeedStep used for ? I see you are using it..

I tried to make a clear install of iDeneb10.5.5 v1.3 on the last 10GB space of my notebooks hard drive and it works!!! With all updates.

[CUT]

thanks for that, I'm trying right away! :D

YEs Apps that use more resources , for example Photoshop, Illustrator, or Traktor Pro , even Firefox closes but it restores the session..

I got an idea. Can it be because I use the StageXNU kernel ?

I can try with the Sleep kernel or SpeedStep. I don't know the difference, What's SpeedStep used for ? I see you are using it..

I'm using the StageXNU kernel and have no problems of applications quitting unexpectedly, so I guess your problem is not due to the kernel :(

- Sleep kernel is supposed to let you put your laptop in sleep mode, when closing the lid

- Speedstep is supposed to enable the Intel SpeedStep Technology as CRP said.

I thought that SteedStep kernel will enable Intel SpeedStep technology in mac, but it seems that it doesn't work on my notebook.

I don't have any problems with apps crashing

Using the SpeedStep kernel, the frequency scaling should be supported, but you have to install the SpeedStep application to configure and set it up :P

bye!!

nothing always boot problems... also re-installing using CRP's settings and kexts/OpenGL folder :lol:

dunno what to do more, tried several installs cutomizations, different AppleSMBIOS kexts, also tried using the most important kexts from kaly 10.5.1 that is the only one that has a acceptable boot time here (about 2 minutes).. I think I'll have to downgrade to kaly 10.5.1 or to tiger.. :lol:

why is that happening only to me? I can say I am the lucky boy.... :P :P

byebye

May be you should try to disable steedstep feature in BIOS?

With speedstep enabled and StageXNU kernel i can boot up my system, but boot time now is abot 5 minutes.

Without speedstep boot time is less than a minute.

During the installation i chose

- Additional Fonts

- X11

- Patches 10.5.5 Ready

- Chipset

- ICHx fixed

- Kernel

- Kernel 9.2.0 SpeedStep

- Fix

- AppleSMBIOS OLD Version 1.0.1

- !!! NO VIDIO SELECTED!!!

- Some Applications...

After a successful install I rebooted in single mode and typed:

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

exit

Boot graphics and create account.

After that I copied GMA950 kexts to extensions folder, removed OpenGL.framework from Frameworks folder and copied this OpenGL, repaired permissions and reboot.

Security and iTunes updates (and the oters) is not a problem for my laptop to boot fast in graphics mode with QE/CI and without paperclip

can you reupload the 2 files you posted above? maybe to mediafire

I won't be able to upload them util sunday evening because I'm not at home now and my mobile internet is very slow,

so I can ask someone who downloaded this packages to reupload them.

Anyway you can find kexts I used in this thread, and OpenGL framework you can extract with Pacifist from any 10.5.1 to 10.5.4 Installation disk.

I extracted OGL framework from 10.5.1 installation disk

[EDIT]

GMA950 no paperclip kexts:  link1 or link2

10.5.1 OpenGL framework:   link1 or link2

Hy CRP,

Thank you for the two files. I replaced the OpenGL.framework and installed the kexts with kexthelper. Now I have QE and CI, but the graphics are very slow, I don't now why. When I had 10.5.2 I had a better performance, now it's slow and sometimes I can see artifacts when I try to rename a file...

I took a look at the System-Profiler and it says that I have 64MB VRAM, normally I have 128MB. Can this be the reason?

Thanks

I don't think that memory miss may be a reason of slow performance.

Do you have a "QuartzGL:Supported" line in system profiler?

May be this can slow the performance, but i'm not sure.

Those kext kexts i uploaded may have QuartzGL support.

Anyway, QuartzGL doesn't slow my graphics card

P.S: You can try kexts from firs post of ths thread. It will work too, but with paperclip.

No paper clip GMA900 kexts thread

problem fixed!!!! uahoooo!!!! at last!!!! ;)

actually it was not a video card/driver/kernel problem.... but a PC Card/PCMCIA problem.. it was not recognized properly by the system so I was getting the "IOKit timed out bla bla" and "IOPCCardBridge::start failed".... now the boot time is around 30 seconds while before it was 7 minutes!!! :(:P

solved thanks to this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear

....after many attempts and of course many osx re-installs.... :)

bye and thanks all!! :)

I tried many methods for GMA900 on my iDeneb v1.3, but I haven't CI/QE (I tried to many of kext's (Andy4life method, ...r2 method, no clip method) and OpenGL.framework from solutions on insanelymac.com, google etc.).

I spent over 3 weeks xD...

So I installed ToH'a, but no matter which method (of kext's) I have artifacts. Only on Andy4life method, gfx doesn't work - blue screen (paperclip in vga doesn't work), but '...r2' and 'no paperclip' method works with articacts.

I tired to copy OpenGL.framework from some solution from insanelymac.com. Then I don't have artifacts, but also I do not have CI/QE! CI/QE works only with oryginal OpenGL.framework from ToH, but then I have artifacts...

Help! What should I do?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=38907

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=38908

Namek91, I tried many ways and this is the one that worked for me: (I just did a mix of the suggestions I got in this thread.... ;) ) :

(.........for all the following operations you don't need to connect any paperclip/vga dongle to the vga-out connector of your laptop so just leave it as it is........)

- Install iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 from scratch choosing the correct customizations for your HW (what I selected is: 9.4.0 Stage XNU Kernel, LAN BCM 5751, ICHX-fixed patch, AC97 audio, power management patch, no video kexts at all and then just some apps.... very important remember to install KextHelper! )

- Upon the first reboot, at the darwin prompt, type "-s" and press enter to boot up in single user mode. When you get to the prompt, run the commands below and press enter after each one:

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer

exit

after this the system will start, take care that the first boot is very slow and it will take some time so just wait for the installation wizard to show up and do that in order to get to the desktop.

At this point, run KextHelper and use it to install all the kexts you can find in this archive.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=32150

(To do that, you need to uncompress the main archive and then each single kext/bundle/plugin files (5 files total) before dragging them to kexthelper, then type in your password, and click on "install")

Then get this archive:

http://kindred.at/maci/OpenGL.framework.tar.gz

inside it you will find a folder named "A" inside the directory "versions". Drag just the "A" folder to /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions in older to replace the existing one (you will be prompted to authenticate and to confirm the replacement)

You are almost done. Now open Disk Utility, select your installation partition on the left, and then click on "Repair Disk Permissions". Once it finishes, press it again to repair the permissions twice.... just to be sure....

reboot and pray :D I hope this will work for you too ;) bye

Hello moly82,

Thanks for the good instructions. I tried the kext and OpenGL framework combination from your post. Now I have QE/CI and a much better performance, but I still have artifacts. Do you have artifacts?

edit #1: Ouhh, I installed the ZIP-Files... :hysterical: I will try it again

edit #2: I copied the kexts (and not the ZIP-Files :D ) with KextHelper, but I still have artifacts when I rename a file or use Firefox...