Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Thanks for the link Mysticus.I followed all the instructions and everything installed OK.The problem is I cant reboot into leopard.I tried using -v and it just rebooted.Tried using  -v -s,got a little further and then it rebooted.Tried -v -s -x,got as far as the end of the scrolling bit "loading hfs etc " and then it just reboots.I'm sorta baffled as to what to do next.Any ideas ?.

If it means I have to reinstall cause I've messed up then so be it.I've done it so many times now I can prolly do it with my eyes closed  ;)

Thanks 

Vinny

Possibly a little off topic but perhaps this will help others. Three times I downloaded 10.5.5 on my Mac Mini and ported the dmg via SD card to my laptop. Each time, after clicking on the dmg, I got an error - checksum error or codec overrun... I can't remember the third. I checked to see if the numbers matched the dmg on my desktop - 91ac9b720ba3b4166e5dc1dd518b1651d77c0f46 - yes, the same. The image was sound. I found it opened fine on my MacMini... (I regret not having tried that in the first place, obviously. I just assumed I had a corrupted download).

I changed the cable on the external SD reader - no, same problem

I used a different SD card, one virtually unused - no, same problem.

I used a different SD card reader - no, same problem.

I tried opening the dmg that was on the SD card on the Mac Mini instead of the the laptop - no, same problem, same error message.

Finally I used an extertal USB had drive! Everything worked fine. I'm going to clean the SD cards/readers contacts with isopropyl alcohol but... I don't think that's it.

What the heck is going on? Anyone else have that problem?

...anyway!

Thanks for this Mysticus ;) You kindness is a source of inspiration and hope in the world.

Can I ask. If you don't select a kernel during post install package, is the default kernel of that package the good ol' 9.2.0 speedstep kernel?

Ran update package sequence on JaS 10.5.4 install but hangs at:

post-200327-1221837163_thumb.jpg

May need to reinstall JaS 10.5.4 and try again......but will repair permissions via Disk Utility and then reboot....

that is a bad bios issue, you need to use restore acpi-apic option :(

any screen that gets stuck after buffer messages, is bad bios issue... either way, you may need a patched bios, or older acpi drivers... try the update with restore acpi-apic option in system functions menu, see if it will help and report back?

DETOSX: not this time sorry :), because you are installing offical update directly :) and using my patch

what the patches does in short is 1) prep patch installs appleintelcpupowermanagement disabler driver, so you dont have to worry about cpupm anymore (see yellow error at boot saying cpupm cannt load :) ), and 2nd package is obviously official update from apple, and 3rd one is bringing back older stuffs :) and dsmos script change so that at boot you wont have any trouble... hope clear enough?

vinny: did you follow instructions?

order of installation packages? 1) prepare 2) official update 3) post patch (this is important as well, because you need to select correct kernel setting and other stuffs for your system!!!)

if you have done it correctly? it may be a kernel choice issue, you should be able to boot, can you try booting this way

f8 key to select at countdown screen

mach_kernel.orig -v

see if it goes past boot?

I m in office now, be back home in abt 1 hour, so will check packages... (i slept quite late, so i may have done couple of mistakes as well being tired :) )

NOTE TO EVERYONE WHO IS GOING TO REQUEST HELP OR REPORT PROBLEM: PLEASE INDICATE YOUR HARDWARE SPECS PLEASE!!! WITHOUT HARDWARE SPECS, AND INDICATE WHETER YOU FOLLOWED THE GUIDE STEPS PROPARLY OR NOT... WITHOUT INFO, IT IS SHOOTING BLIND IN THE DARK--- NOT MUCH HELP

Thanks for getting back to me. :(

I... didn't select a kernel and so you can probably imagine my -v messages at boot concernel kernel...

I feel I need speedstep on the laptop. Can I, using ~PCWiz tools, install 9.2.0 speedstep kernel / system.kext from my second OS X partition which uses 9.2.0 speedstep/system.kext, or would that cause problems?

Hey,

I tried to update using your 10.5.5 patch. I noticed that 10.5.5 at bike town was for 10.5.5 of OSX server so I downloaded the normal combo update myself from apple. I then installed the pre update, the update, and the post update selecting patches as I needed. I have an nforce chipset (680i) and as such have always used the default kernel that you have used in your previous updates and it has always worked. I didn't select a kernel this time (presuming that it would install whatever kernel that had previously worked in the other updates) and now during bootup it restarts after a few seconds past darwin (similar to what it did when I accidently installed the wrong kernel in a previous install.)

Additionally, the machine froze while it was updating the boot chaches (after selecting reboot after the post update patch.)

Is there anyway I can get the propper kernel installed without re-installing the entire OS from scratch? If not, would I be able to install 10.5.2 over my (non-working) 10.5.5 install and then try to update to 10.5.5 again and maintain most of my data?

Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for getting back to me. :(

I feel I need speedstep on the laptop. Can I, using ~PCWiz tools, install 9.2.0 speedstep kernel / system.kext from my second OS X partition which uses 9.2.0 speedstep/system.kext, or would that cause problems?

changin kernel should not cause any trouble but you have to experiment yourself, different hardware have different trouble...

I installed the old netkas 9.2.0 speedstep kernel/system.kext by booting into my other OS X partition and doing as mentioned. It seems to be work fine. Is there, though, any widely known reason why folks shouldn't do that, in terms of stability and security using an old kernel with the new 10.5.5 package?

Ah, just noticed my keyboard/trackpad aren't working despite selecting the PS2 patch which usually clears that up with your installer. Hmm. Would that be because I've gone with 9.2.0 speedstep/system.kext? I need to google which kexts to take from the other partition to get them up and running again.

Edit - post what Mysticus mentions below, it helps to have a usb keyboard/mouse handy, just in case!

I take it I'm right in saying netkas 9.2.0 speedstep kernel is still the only speedstep kernel available to us, or has someone modified a more recent one?

i dont know why ps2 dont work, and dont have many systems to test it, but will check on one my laptops tonight...

by the way, as always, before the update, everything is backed up prior to update

folder name (backupkexts_prior_10_5_5combo) so you can find all your previous files there...

check names of files that contains ps2 in the name...

ps2nub? appleps2 stg like that i think...

for kernel, old kernels should work fine, just use the one that works well...

i may add another version 1.1 and add speedstep kernel, and propar tested ps2 fix :( but next week probably, have things to do in the weekend...

but my suggestion to desktop users: get a usb keyboard... for laptops, unfortunately this is still a problem, always patch needed...

NOTE: TERRIBLY SORRY, I ACCIDENTLY PUT WRONG LINK IN THE COMBO UPDATE, IT WAS FOR SERVER, THANX THEWIERDONE FOR POINTING THAT OUT, I PLACED NORMAL ONE THE OTHER DAY, BUT LAST NITE, PLACED THE WRONG ONE FOR THE OFFICIAL UPDATE, GUESS WAS TOO TIRED

thewierdone: use command line to boot first, at boot screen, press f8 to bring options

choose your partition and type these

mach_kernel.orig -v after it boots, replace your kernel back, go into terminal when booted,

sudo su

password

rm /mach_kernel

mv /mach_kernel.orig /mach_kernel

and reboot to check if it works ? :P

i dont know why ps2 dont work, and dont have many systems to test it, but will check on one my laptops tonight...

by the way, as always, before the update, everything is backed up prior to update

folder name (backupkexts_prior_10_5_5combo)

Ah, yes, thanks, force of habit! Having pretty much identical partitions side by side I pop onto one whenever I have problems with the other.

Incidentally, I found that keyboard and trackpad stopped working irrespctive of whether I seleced the ps2 patch from your post installer.

Re what you were saying earlier about iATKOS, is there a tutorial on how to stop the SUID warnings? I'm quite attached to iATKOS but wouldn't mind moving across to Leo4all once the new version comes out for Intel; Kalway, post version 10.5.1, hasn't worked well with either of my Acers, alas. 

i may add another version 1.1 and add speedstep kernel, and propar tested ps2 fix :) but next week probably, have things to do in the weekend...

That would be great news. A lot of laptop users out there depend on speedstep for squeezing extra battery life and keeping temperatures down. :)

vinny: did you follow instructions?

order of installation packages? 1) prepare 2) official update 3) post patch (this is important as well, because you need to select correct kernel setting and other stuffs for your system!!!)

if you have done it correctly? it may be a kernel choice issue, you should be able to boot, can you try booting this way

f8 key to select at countdown screen

mach_kernel.orig -v

see if it goes past boot?

Yeah,i follwed the instructions carefully.I tried the mac_kernel but it just reboots.I then tried sleepkernel and I managed to get as far as my desktop but without the dock etc.The background is there and I can just about see the dock.It's sorta blurred out.Nothing else comes up.I left it for a while but nothing happens.I then tried safe mode but it freexes at boot,so I use sleepkernel -v and saw this error "failed to load extension com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI."There was another error but it went too fast to read.

I'm dual booting btw with OSX on a seperate hd.

Hey,

I tried to update using your 10.5.5 patch. I noticed that 10.5.5 at bike town was for 10.5.5 of OSX server so I downloaded the normal combo update myself from apple. I then installed the pre update, the update, and the post update selecting patches as I needed. I have an nforce chipset (680i) and as such have always used the default kernel that you have used in your previous updates and it has always worked. I didn't select a kernel this time (presuming that it would install whatever kernel that had previously worked in the other updates) and now during bootup it restarts after a few seconds past darwin (similar to what it did when I accidentally installed the wrong kernel in a previous install.)

Additionally, the machine froze while it was updating the boot chaches (after selecting reboot after the post update patch.)

Is there anyway I can get the propper kernel installed without re-installing the entire OS from scratch? If not, would I be able to install 10.5.2 over my (non-working) 10.5.5 install and then try to update to 10.5.5 again and maintain most of my data?

Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Some additional questions as well:

What Kernel installed by default on your previous updates (1.4 etc) and which kernel installs by default now?

Thanks again for any help and all the work you do.

vinnyl: the error message is regarding the pcgenusbehci, because you have originally pacgenusbehci plugin (this is for usb 2 controllers fix)... if you dont have that issue, just delete the /s/l/e/iousbfamily.kext/contents/plugins/pcgenusbehci.kext should be find after that...

also regarding your problem, please report problems proparly, NO HARDWARE INFO?

In my BIOS ACPI APIC is enabled and is fine with all distros I have tried, from 10.5.1 to 10.5.4..... it has to be a BIOS versus AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext issue......so 10.5.5 includes new versions of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext....?

In your Post-Installer Patches package, could you have a Just Restore ACPI-APIC option.....as like myself, others may not have a Bad BIOS as such.....they just need to keep the previous versions of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext?

I ran the Post-Installer Patches package.....choosing restore acpi-apic option......problem sorted......but HDA function not maintained with Just Restore Audio nor ADI 1988B Installer Application.......

So for Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO with JaS 10.5.4 update to 10.5.5, Customize selections as follows:

Kernel: 9.4.0 StageXNU Kernel

Chipset: NForce -Test

Graphics: NVIDIA - NVKush

Audio: Issues with Just Restore Audio....post-update running of Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer is required to restore full HDA.....

Network: Issues with Just Restore Network......IONetworkingFamily.kext has been extracted to the folder IONetworkingFamily.kext.orig........but there is no IONetworkingFamily.kext in S/L/E.....had to restore original IONetworkingFamily.kext from my backed up extensions folder......

System Functions: SMBIOS - MacPro and AppleACPI - AppleAPIC (Old Versions)

At the moment every thing appears OK after updating to 10.5.5.......still checking though.....

vinnyl: the error message is regarding the pcgenusbehci, because you have originally pacgenusbehci plugin (this is for usb 2 controllers fix)... if you dont have that issue, just delete the /s/l/e/iousbfamily.kext/contents/plugins/pcgenusbehci.kext should be find after that...

also regarding your problem, please report problems proparly, NO HARDWARE INFO?

Sorry to ask,but how do I delete a kext if I cant boot into leopard ?.I really want to get this going again.It's like it just needs a push and it'll boot fully.

Motherboard:

CPU Type Intel Pentium Dual Core, 2400 MHz

Motherboard 63-0100-000001-00101111-120506-RS400$E415SM_THIS BIOS IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR ACER ONLY-12/05/2006

Motherboard DMIMOBO: Acer E415SM

Motherboard DMISYS: Acer APF6/AST660/ASE560

System Memory 2048 MB

BIOS Type AMI (12/05/06)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)

Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:

Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series (512 MB)

Monitor SyncMaster 931BW/906BW/931CW , SyncMaster Magic CX931BW (Digital) [NoDB] (HS4P500357)

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:

IDE Controller AMD PCI IDE Controller

IDE Controller AMD SATA Controller(Native IDE Mode)

SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive

Disk Drive HDT722525DLA380 ATA Device (250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Disk Drive HDT722525DLA380 ATA Device (250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Disk Drive WD 5000AAC External USB Device

Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-RW_GSA-H11N ATA Device

SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:

C: (NTFS) 238474 MB (172254 MB free)

D: Leopard

G: (NTFS) 476929 MB (200651 MB free)

Total Size 698.6 GB (364.2 GB free)

Input:

Keyboard Standard PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network:

Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (192.168.1.33)

Network Adapter Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g Wireless Device

Peripherals:

Printer Canon MP450 Series Printer

Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Printer Send To OneNote 2007

USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]

USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]

USB Device Generic USB Hub

USB Device Logitech Mic (IM/Connect)

USB Device Logitech QuickCam IM/Connect

USB Device Logitech USB Camera (IM/Connect)

USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

well good luck than :P but your previous information sounded you have amd cpu, as yo have amd controllers on your system?

NOTE TO LAPTOP OWNERS: I will test the ps2 issue on my laptop, see what i can do about it, and than will provide the patch in the next version, 1.2 probably :(

sorry for earlier mistakes, as i was tired after work, and trying to finish evertg as quickly as possible makes u rush and cause mistakes :P

Well i finally managed to boot into Leopard,Dont ask me how cause I just thought I'd try it and it booted up fully :( .Only thing is I cant use wireless mouse and keyboard and no internet. :P

Re networking check in S/L/E for IONetworkingFamily.kext........probably missing.......restore "old" IONetworkingFamily.kext in pre-10.5.5 update backup folder using for example Kext Helper b7........

Re wireless USB mouse and keyboard.......perhaps necessary driver kexts no longer present?.....compare backedup extensions folder with curent extensions folder.....

well good luck than :) but your previous information sounded you have amd cpu, as yo have amd controllers on your syste

I'm not sure why it shows up like that buddy,but that's what came up with Everest. :blink:

Re networking check in S/L/E for IONetworkingFamily.kext........probably missing.......restore "old" IONetworkingFamily.kext in pre-10.5.5 update backup folder using for example Kext Helper b7........

Re wireless USB mouse and keyboard.......perhaps necessary driver kexts no longer present?.....compare backedup extensions folder with curent extensions folder.....

I'll give it a go tomorrow cause I've an early start in the morning.Thanks for the help guys. :thumbsup_anim:

Some additional questions as well:

What Kernel installed by default on your previous updates (1.4 etc) and which kernel installs by default now?

Thanks again for any help and all the work you do.

If this helps enable anyone to help me, I have read/write access to the drive that has the leopard install that wont boot up.

Thanks again!