ALL Fan related issues HERE. Laptop fans, overheating, cold boot no fans +

00diabolic

Fan issues. Have them or not? How do you deal with them?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have experenced overheating due to fans not turning on on your laptop?

• YES I have to go through steps to get my fans on. See question below.
    • No I have no fan issues or I have intermitate fan issues.
  2. 2. What do you have to do to deal with your fan not turning on?

• Power unplug, or sleep trick. Seems to work on Toshibas
    • Reboot when temp reaches certain number to get bios to turn fans on. Only Lenovo option that works
    • I use software to handle my heat issues like coolbook because my fans never seem to spin fast when needed.
    • My fans are on 100% full blast and are loud all the time. So I never overheat but I'm also losing my hearing.
    • I found a kext that fixes my fan issues and I am not sharing the info with the 100's of affected users here. You suck SHARE your info.

260 posts in this topic

Hi, i has it problem, wen i use ideneb 10.5.5 i have no problems with my laptop, works great the thermal but, when i try to install an other version like iaktos or an other, my fan no start, goes about, 80 C. y try all possible solutions but nothing work, finally y try the kext incide ideneb 10.5.5 in the ipc 10.5.6 and what was the result, IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAA!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I test it, about a weak and have no problems, it kext are based on AppleACPIPlatform (1.1.0), i think some laptops like mine, not support a superior AppleACPIPlatform, try the kext.

kextstat | grep ACPI

18 13 0x4141e000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.2.0) <12>

19 5 0x4146c000 0x3d000 0x3c000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.1.0) <18 17 12 7 4>

30 0 0x47445000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons (1.1.0) <23 19 18 7 6 5 4 2>

31 0 0x474a3000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager (1.0.14) <18 6 5 4 2>

34 0 0x4759b000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC (1.1.0) <33 19 18 12>

37 0 0x47752000 0x2000 0x1000 org.tgwbd.driver.ACPIPS2Nub (1.0.0d1) <19 18 12>

39 0 0x47890000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (1.1.0) <19 18 17 12>

72 0 0x478a1000 0xf000 0xe000 com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (3.3.1d0) <71 70 18 17 12 7 6 5 4>

76 0 0x475e3000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIThermal (1.0.5) <19 18 12>

SOOOOOO SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH.

GOOD LOOKY

acpi.zip

@ivan h i used ur package but still no change

Hi everyone,

I am also facing the same overheating problem since 3 days or so.last three days I am trying to enable quartz extreme on my nvidea 7200 go card and luckly in happens.but now my machine gets overheated.I have updated from 10.2 to 10.5.and I dont have AppleCpuPowerManagement.kext so i am not able to use all those coolbook, sms etc programs .

I am using TemperatureMonitor to see my core temp and it is running on 85 -86 c on the other side it runs 55 to 56 c on my xp(using dua boot).

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

and in half an hour it goes to sleep mode due to overheating.is this related to quartz extreme.my fan is running contantly. but seems like its uneffective as temp rises 3 to 4 digree after 5 minute.

anyone else tried "ivan h"'s fix from above? i'd hate to break something by using those kexts. i'm on iAtkos, which worked better for me than kalyway on my tohisba laptop. out of the box iAtkos worked w/ local LCD on monitor, quartz, etc. all that took clicking my heals 3 times to get it to work on kalyway. but i digress...

-e

I've been struggling to get my toshiba A205-S5825 fan working and to no avail. However, I did a fresh install of iPC 10.5.6 and the fans still didn't work I tried Ivan h acpi.zip and no go.

Finally, I installed ik8fan along with the gui and now my FAN WORKS! I tried with only the kext and it didn't work and it needs to have the gui app installed for it to work. I know it's supposed to be for Dell Laptops but I had nothing to lose and it payed off.

Anyhow, maybe they will work for someone else like me who doesn't have a dell.

I got the files from here.

http://www.invalidation.org/i8kstuff.zip

They were from this post.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1037629

Hi

I'm not sure that this is the right thread to post this but all of you here seem to know a lot about cooling, fans and temperatures so i'll give it a try.

On my HP dv6000 1,6 GHz Core Duo i had the problem with fans blowing at full all the time and sometimes not kicking in even when it got really hot. Solved it by removing the AppleACPIThermal.kext from inside the AppleACPIFamily.kext so now the fans are controlled by my Bios if i understand correctly? Anyway it works very well so i installed Temperature monitor to check the temperatures. The thing that strikes me is that there is a big difference in temp between the cores. Between 5-8 degrees C pretty much all the time which seems weird to me, at idle they are usually at Core1 30C and Core2 35C which is pretty good i guess but they are always that uneven and it's also always the same core that is hotter.

Is this normal and if not can anything be done to solve this?

Thanxx...

/O

Kalyway 10.5.2, EFI 8 and Vanilla 9.2.2

• 2 months later...

Hello

I've been dealing with overheating for last couple of months and I found one solution, so I hope that this will help some of you.

I have HP nx7400 laptop and must boot with cpus=1 flag. My idle temp 2 days ago was 70C(+-5C), and the fans were working all the time. I tried a different ACPI kexts, deleted AppleThermo, playing with the AppleBlower and so on. This problem was bothering me so I decided that I'll end it once and for all.

When I was searching the net I found a solution that is called GenericCPUPMControl. I installed the kext, restart the computer and launched the app. When I selected auto throttle I couldn't belive my eyes. My laptop was running on 52C idle. So here is the kext and the app.

Hope this will help some of you.

PS: Sorry for my english.

SpeedStep_Fix.zip

My fan doesnt start on a cold boot. I usually half to restart then the laptop fan starts working. This is a pain since i am on a laptop and have problems where the battery dies fast. Is there a way i can fix this? I am running 10.5.6 iPC on a toshiba a135-s4527 with a GMA 950 Chip. Thank You

Edit: I also found out that when i disconnect the power cord and reconnect the fan kicks in and stays working. There might be something with the power management.

When I was searching the net I found a solution that is called GenericCPUPMControl.

Why did you not choose the VoodooPower or VoodooPowerMini by Superhai? I think, GnericCPUPMControl is obsolete and has been replaced by VoodooPower?!

I've been struggling to get my toshiba A205-S5825 fan working and to no avail. However, I did a fresh install of iPC 10.5.6 and the fans still didn't work I tried Ivan h acpi.zip and no go.

Finally, I installed ik8fan along with the gui and now my FAN WORKS! I tried with only the kext and it didn't work and it needs to have the gui app installed for it to work. I know it's supposed to be for Dell Laptops but I had nothing to lose and it payed off.

Anyhow, maybe they will work for someone else like me who doesn't have a dell.

I got the files from here.

http://www.invalidation.org/i8kstuff.zip

They were from this post.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1037629

CONFIRMATION works on toshiba a135-s4527. I've been struggling with fans for a year now, I can't believe I just fixed it! I'm running Leo4All v3

CONFIRMATION works on toshiba a135-s4527. I've been struggling with fans for a year now, I can't believe I just fixed it! I'm running Leo4All v3

Hmm i tried that and it didn't work on my toshiba a135-s4527 it worked but then it stopped then it would work then it would stop and my temps got up to 85C and didn't kick in at all

Hmm... before I installed i8k i installed the kexts from this post. Tried that maybe it'll kick in. I'm also using the voodoopower I'm not sure if that's related or not, but just so you know

Hi, i has it problem, wen i use ideneb 10.5.5 i have no problems with my laptop, works great the thermal but, when i try to install an other version like iaktos or an other, my fan no start, goes about, 80 C. y try all possible solutions but nothing work, finally y try the kext incide ideneb 10.5.5 in the ipc 10.5.6 and what was the result, IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAA!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I test it, about a weak and have no problems, it kext are based on AppleACPIPlatform (1.1.0), i think some laptops like mine, not support a superior AppleACPIPlatform, try the kext.

kextstat | grep ACPI

18 13 0x4141e000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.2.0) <12>

19 5 0x4146c000 0x3d000 0x3c000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.1.0) <18 17 12 7 4>

30 0 0x47445000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons (1.1.0) <23 19 18 7 6 5 4 2>

31 0 0x474a3000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager (1.0.14) <18 6 5 4 2>

34 0 0x4759b000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC (1.1.0) <33 19 18 12>

37 0 0x47752000 0x2000 0x1000 org.tgwbd.driver.ACPIPS2Nub (1.0.0d1) <19 18 12>

39 0 0x47890000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (1.1.0) <19 18 17 12>

72 0 0x478a1000 0xf000 0xe000 com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (3.3.1d0) <71 70 18 17 12 7 6 5 4>

76 0 0x475e3000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIThermal (1.0.5) <19 18 12>

SOOOOOO SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH.

GOOD LOOKY

Also I did notice that you have to start the i8kfanGUI for it to really kick in. I just have it on login items

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I have currently installed iDeneb version 10.5.6 on a Toshiba Satellite A300 and my core temperature is 60 degrees C, my fan never stops and it is spinning at max speed even from boot.

I will apreciate any help :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hello! I have currently installed iDeneb version 10.5.6 on a Toshiba Satellite A300 and my core temperature is 60 degrees C, my fan never stops and it is spinning at max speed even from boot.

I will apreciate any help :gun:

Install VoodooPower kext from Superhai.

Hi everyone! I have a great overheat problem with my Toshiba P100. It seems that fans don't work at all ;) Any heavy CPU load leads to CPU temperature rise up to 83 degrees :D Then graphics falls... In Windows I have 54-55 degrees. Removing AppleACPITermal & AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement doesn't help. VoodooPower is installed and works, but no result. ik8fan is installed, but it seems that it doesn't work either :) Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks for reply.

With great respect, jazzminos.

Hi guys! I've done it. I've solved the overheating problem on my Toshi P100-257 with MacOS 10.5.7: stock kernel+stock ACPI.

My method:

1. Download and install Chameleon Bootloader v2 RC1 from here: http://tinyurl.com/cjoxak

2. Download and install newest USBFamily.kext from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029 . You see I've noticed that my fans stop right after error with USB controller detection. USB is greatly involved in ACPI sleep-weakup functions... And thus if there is no driver loaded ACPI doesn't work correctly. It works on 10.5.7 with stock kernel & stock ACPI.

3. Maybe You will need to make DSDT override with DSDT Patcher. Download it from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683 . I don't exactly know if it is absolutely important, cause I've done it earlier.

4. I also have VoodooPower.kext installed... But I don't think that it has any influence cause it is being loaded later.

I'll be glad if it help people here :)

• 3 weeks later...

It's not that my fan is completely unresponsive. When I start OSX I hear it working normally. Then when I'm not doing anything it stops like a normal cpu fan, but when it tries to start again there's something wrong. I keep hearing it start and stop before it can really start, sort of like a flickering light, or in this case a flickering fan. I've tried to install some of the kexts from this thread but I don't think I'm doing it right since I'm new to mac. On boot I've tried -fn=3, and that did nothing as well. I don't know if it's safe to use OSX or not, I'm worried about my cpu getting fried. My cpus are two pentium 4's single core two cpu logical. Anyone know what I can do about this?

It seems that my recipe doesn't work stable ;) Overheating is the only problem that makes working on my hakintosh actually impossible. It seems that we need a driver or a driver + application to control our ACPI\ThermalZone. There is such an application for Dell laptops - i8kfan for Mac... But it doesn't work on Toshiba. It doesn't see the sensors and fans. If there is a coder that will correct i8kfan.kext to enable fan control. There are source codes for i8kfan.kext and for i8kfanGUI on the authors webpage. I got some info in XP with the help of Everest program. Here it is...

Hope someone will find the way to solve our problem. I didn't install any driver for ACPI in Windows... And Device Manager in Windows says that there is no driver for ACPI Thermal Zone loaded. It seems that this is a standard device.

Sensors_Info.txt

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm having fan issues on HP 550 laptop. With the A/C adaptor plugged in, fan works as normal, but when I unplug it and use the battery, the fan stops completly.

Is there any way to fix this?

Cheers!