ALL Fan related issues HERE. Laptop fans, overheating, cold boot no fans +

00diabolic

Fan issues. Have them or not? How do you deal with them?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have experenced overheating due to fans not turning on on your laptop?

• YES I have to go through steps to get my fans on. See question below.
    • No I have no fan issues or I have intermitate fan issues.
  2. 2. What do you have to do to deal with your fan not turning on?

• Power unplug, or sleep trick. Seems to work on Toshibas
    • Reboot when temp reaches certain number to get bios to turn fans on. Only Lenovo option that works
    • I use software to handle my heat issues like coolbook because my fans never seem to spin fast when needed.
    • My fans are on 100% full blast and are loud all the time. So I never overheat but I'm also losing my hearing.
    • I found a kext that fixes my fan issues and I am not sharing the info with the 100's of affected users here. You suck SHARE your info.

260 posts in this topic

CoolBook doesn't work at all. Can anybody tell me any another program for watch CPU temprature.

Tried Robi62's kext.zip from post 117 - nothing.

If I boot with both battery or AC, fans work all the time. And if I boot with battery and AC fans work more hard than booting witout battery.

Any ideas ?

Please help people...

I've found that Coolbook does not work with some of the hacked AppleSMBIOS.kexts and not at all with the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext and vanilla AppleSMBIOS-- try this one (that I am using) and see if it starts working.

I use the free Temperature Monitor to monitor CPU and Drive Temps in the taskbar.

post-187754-1214965533_thumb.jpg

I've found that Coolbook does not work with some of the hacked AppleSMBIOS.kexts and not at all with the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext and vanilla AppleSMBIOS-- try this one (that I am using) and see if it starts working.

I use the free Temperature Monitor to monitor CPU and Drive Temps in the taskbar.

Thanx a lot for your reply.

But your AppleSMBIOS.kext gave nothing. I replased your AppleSMBIOS.kext instead of my one. Then removed next folders :

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

/System/Library/Caches/

/System/Library/Extensions/Caches/

Permisions were correct for the folders mensioned above.

then reboot.

Nothing =(

Fans still work hard and I even can't know the temperature of my CPU.

The TemperatureMonitor doesn't work. It says my speech system is wrong. I've tried both turn on or turn off it but it didn't gave positive result.

Ani ideas ?

Please help me ....

post-189305-1215112348_thumb.png

Finally I can use the CoolBook. the Temperature Monitor still does't work because of athe speech system.

My CPU temperature is 85 degrees Celsius without any loading. You can see that in the screenshot above.

What can I do to try fixing it ?

post-189305-1215114182_thumb.png

Guys, what the temperature do you have without loading CPU ?

I have 48-50 C . I don't even know heed either fix it , I have in the Windows XP 35 С.

What do u think ?

How did you finally get Coolbook working?

Mine runs 46-50C with CPU idle. Vista runs much warmer on this notebook-- 55-60C.

As long as your running in the CPU's normal operating temperature range you are OK. :(

How did you finally get Coolbook working?

via editing CoolBook's files. Anyway I can't use all the CoolBook's abilities because 10$ is too much for me =(

Mine runs 46-50C with CPU idle. Vista runs much warmer on this notebook-- 55-60C.

In the Windows XP my CPU warms to 35 C , Mac OS warms it to 50 C . Where is 15 C ?0_o

via editing CoolBook's files. Anyway I can't use all the CoolBook's abilities because 10$ is too much for me =(

In the Windows XP my CPU warms to 35 C , Mac OS warms it to 50 C . Where is 15 C ?0_o

As far as I understand, Windows XP is controlling your fans and CPU thermal management technologies (like Speed Step) via the operating system's software. OSX on a Hackintosh has to rely on your system's BIOS (for the most part) to manage the fan speed and utilities like Coolbook or the Speedstep Kernel to control CPU voltage and clocking.

These different techniques of achieving thermal management lead to different overall operating temperatures--but as long as you are not overheating your CPU, you are OK..

Works great on mine. Thanks Paulicat and others! :o

I'm finally back. Been away for a while but I'm glad to see this topic is not dead. I'm still pretty busy but will be checking back here and offering solutions if i find any.

I wish people would stop saying that coolbook is the ultimate solution here. The reason it is NOT the ultimate solution is for people like me THAT still do not have fans that turn on during every boot. No matter how much you throttle your CPU down with no fans your going to overheat PERIOD.

We still need a solution to fans that do not get triggered after the bios. OSX ignores that fact that the fans are not on and caries on loading and eventually overheats. There has to be something early on in the loading of the system that can access the fans and do something.

Any ideas. We are more then welcome to hearing them here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't know if it helps anyone else, but I as well had the problem with the fan not coming on from a cold boot. I went into the appleblower.kext and edited the max and min temps in the info.plist I set them all to 15 and 17. the fan comes on every time I boot now but it is always on. I haven't played much with the numbers at all so if I get it working better I will be sure to post it.

Well I don't know if it helps anyone else, but I as well had the problem with the fan not coming on from a cold boot. I went into the appleblower.kext and edited the max and min temps in the info.plist I set them all to 15 and 17. the fan comes on every time I boot now but it is always on. I haven't played much with the numbers at all so if I get it working better I will be sure to post it.

Please post your specs for your laptop. I am very curious to know what sort of laptop you have that appleblower is actually loading on your system at all. I can not get appleblower to load and believed it was a kext used for desktops.

Is there a chance you edited something else or some other change you made could have accounted for the change in your fans? If you could also post your kextstat showing appleblower loaded on your laptop that would be helpful to a lot of people here.

THANKS

Hello Everyone!

i'm Oscar, from mexico, i've been reading the forums and trying different distributions of leopard and tiger for a while now.

i've been following this thread almost since 00Diabolic started it, but since my osx knowledgment and english writing are not specially good, i never had the courage for posting =P

Anyway, i had the same problem as many of you do (did?), since my cpu fan wouldn't start from a cold boot (in my case, not even after "warming it up" from vista or linux) causing my cpu temperature to rise to the point of shutting down my lap at 100 celcius!! =S, i tried many of the solutions sugested in your thread, but nothing worked, i didn't wanted to damage my hardware so, i basically got frustrated and gave up on the project u.u

But, 3 days ago, i decided to give it one last try (since i'm finnaly on vacation and had nothing else to do xD) and downloaded iatkos 4.1 and updated my BIOS (you know, just in case).

To tell the truth i wasn't very optimistic, i burned it and booted the dvd as usual, the first time i only selected the main istallation, with no drivers or modifications except for the graphic kexts.

at the middle of the installation process i heard a beautiful sound comming out of my notebook, yes, it was the cpu fan!! (oddly enough, before that time, i hadn't ever heard the fan working into OSX! not even during the instalation process!).

Surprisingly, the installation didn't worked, and gave me a kernel panic from the first boot (something about the ACPIplattform), so i tried again, this time with the STOCK ACPI AND KERNEL, as well as the graphic and sata drivers, i heard the fan running pretty fast during the installation process again, but only for small amounts of time, i waited untill the installer finished, and this time it gave me no KP's.

I booted into osx to create my account as always, this time my webcam worked!, and again, after like 2 minutes, the fan came in pretty fast and loud every now and then! i was blown away! n.n

(i'm still not shure if the fan works now because of the BIOS update or the iatkos distribution)

I didn't espected (the installation) to be perfect,So i started testing it and find out that the temps were oscilating between 65-75 celcius and that the fans turned on very rapidly every time the temp was higher than 65 C and cool the CPU down, keepin it into that range (pretty high, but not near as high as before!)

I also tried shutting down the notebbook for a while to see if the fan worked from a cold boot, and it did!!!!! but again acting weird, ang keeping the CPU temps in a pretty high range. =S

I also found that neither the sleep nor the restart function worked, (restart works ONLY when i boot from a patched kernel, but not with the vanilla one) i came back to the forums and found superhai's "solution" for the sleep problem EHCISleepEnabler.kext, i installed it and modified the usbfamily kext as indicated, it works to a certain point, the notebook does sleep, but after waking up the mouse acts weird and the sound is gone!! =S. also, when i put the machine to sleep again, it doesn't wakes up!, only the first time! and when i boot from a patched kernel it doesn't sleeps, but it still restarts with no problems.

for now, my biggest concern is the cpu temp, but all the problems are important enough, so, if Anyone can help me in any way, i would really apreciate it, and if i can be of any help, don't hessitate on askiing n.n

And don't think i forgot, this are my notebook specs n.n

Brand and Model: Acer Aspire 5720-6784

Processor: Intel C2D T7300 2.0 ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, 4 MB L2 cache

Graphics: Intel x3100 (QI/QE working)

Memory: 2gb DDR2 667 Mhz (properly shown in system profiler with latest SMBIOSEFI by chun-nan)

Sound: Realtek HD audio ALC268 chipset (everything but the input eorking with taruga's installer2)

HD:Toshiba 160 GB (windows vista,osx, and linux triple boot)

Webcam: Acer Crystaleye (working 100%)

Lan: Broadcom Netlink (Not working, can't find a solution =S)

Wifi:intel 3945 (not working)

Others: RICOH card reader (not working, cant find a solution =S), battery meter working with superhai's ACPIBatterry.kext and vanilla pm.bundle)

DVD RW: (can't remember the brand) (working)

thank you very much for reading! :( and sorry for my poor english, i'm young and still learning n.n

P.D

i originally posted this as a private message for 00 diabolic, then i realized that many other people can help if i post it here n.n

Hi people!

I also want to keep my laptop no so hot, as it does in windows. The hotness and fan speed is the only one thing that keep me using windows...

I got an Asus F3JC laptop with a core 2 duo processor. I downloaded coolbook and when I run it I receive this message (image attached):

Could not find default frequencies/voltages

I press ok anyway and then I can see that coolbook shows the current speed, voltage and temperature, but not the Frequency and Voltages availabes (image attached).

Do you think I could make it work I i buy it?

coolbook1.tiff

coolbook2.tiff

Okay guys...New here so bear with me a bit. I just finish loading up Leopard onto my Dell Latitiude D830 for like the 20th time...having some issues not knowing how to undo some things...but that is a different topic. Anyways I've been noticing that the fan doesn't seem to kick on as loudly as it use to in vista so I searched the forums and found your guy's thread. Now it doesn't seem to matter if I do a cold boot or warm because I don't ever really hear my fans kick on at the bios screen. But when I boot into OSX no matter if it is a cold boot or a warm on the fan seems to be constantly spinng at a low rate. Last night I unplugged it and did some school work in bed, and the temps at idle were 38-40 compared to 45-50 when plugged in....didn't really see to much about that in the topics here so I figured I would post it up here....the hottest I've seen mine reach so far is 71c....I noticed in the Other hardware forum the Dense posted up that he got the i8kfan program working for Leopard but didn't post up how just wanting for a response to that to see if I can manually control the fan and if so then that's where I'll go till we can find out a solution here...

Okay guys...New here so bear with me a bit. I just finish loading up Leopard onto my Dell Latitiude D830 for like the 20th time...having some issues not knowing how to undo some things...but that is a different topic. Anyways I've been noticing that the fan doesn't seem to kick on as loudly as it use to in vista so I searched the forums and found your guy's thread. Now it doesn't seem to matter if I do a cold boot or warm because I don't ever really hear my fans kick on at the bios screen. But when I boot into OSX no matter if it is a cold boot or a warm on the fan seems to be constantly spinng at a low rate. Last night I unplugged it and did some school work in bed, and the temps at idle were 38-40 compared to 45-50 when plugged in....didn't really see to much about that in the topics here so I figured I would post it up here....the hottest I've seen mine reach so far is 71c....I noticed in the Other hardware forum the Dense posted up that he got the i8kfan program working for Leopard but didn't post up how just wanting for a response to that to see if I can manually control the fan and if so then that's where I'll go till we can find out a solution here...

Demthios- I think i8kfan can work on Dells. There is a modified version I believe was made for Dells. I looked into all fan apps for a potential solution to my own problem and stumbled upon i8kfan app but then read that it was only for Dells but I think only certain models.

Hi people!

I also want to keep my laptop no so hot, as it does in windows. The hotness and fan speed is the only one thing that keep me using windows...

I got an Asus F3JC laptop with a core 2 duo processor. I downloaded coolbook and when I run it I receive this message (image attached):

I press ok anyway and then I can see that coolbook shows the current speed, voltage and temperature, but not the Frequency and Voltages availabes (image attached).

Do you think I could make it work I i buy it?

hi i used to get that b4 I changed applesmbios and acpiplatform kexts so look at my earlier post with my kext zipped file

thanks robi62. Do you mean I should try first the kexts you posted on you earlier post and then you used coolbook? Or they are not compatible? What are you using right now, both?

ps: sorry for so many questions but english isn't my mother tongue so i don't want to misunderstand anything

thanks robi62. Do you mean I should try first the kexts you posted on you earlier post and then you used coolbook? Or they are not compatible? What are you using right now, both?

ps: sorry for so many questions but english isn't my mother tongue so i don't want to misunderstand anything

I ve just sent you a pm in spanish...... :D

Hmmm... I just happened to boot up my machine when the CPU was rather toasty, and the fan came on at full speed, as you'd expect. I thought it would stick at that speed, as usual in OS X...

But, it didn't! It slowed down and eventually stopped... And started again under CPU load.

That is to say, it's working perfectly. I don't ever want to shut the system down again now!

Nothing unusual in the System Log indicating something different happened this boot, so I've no idea what happened.

I still don't understand how I'm getting longer battery life with this machine under Mac OS (almost bang-on 3 hours on full brightness + Wireless/BT on) to Windows (about 2 and a half under the same circumstances.) Its especially nice now I've got the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext which gives me remaining battery time and charging time, something I don't even get under Windows/Linux?!

Thanks robi62. Coolbook works for me, but I still have no idea about how to use it, lol.

That's what I did.

1- I updated my kalyway to 10.5.4

2-Installed the kexts robi62 posted on page 6 of this topic.

3-Installed 9.2 speedstep kernel and speedstep.app

4-Installed Coolbook and registered.

Now it shows all the options and now I have to learn how to decrease the 95º Celsius! :(

My God,

I have HP TX1000 series laptop, and i've tried everything, powermanagement.bundle works perfect, but i can't make that cpu fan stop working!

Is there a way to reduce my processor speed so that the temperature goes down and my CPU fan stops working?

EDITED

By the way, it's AMD Turion 64x2

My God,

I have HP TX1000 series laptop, and i've tried everything, powermanagement.bundle works perfect, but i can't make that cpu fan stop working!

Is there a way to reduce my processor speed so that the temperature goes down and my CPU fan stops working?

EDITED

By the way, it's AMD Turion 64x2

AMD's are wack. Never seem to make any sense to me. A lot of us here are on intel. I would look back at some of the previous posts in this topic. There was another AMD user some time ago.

Also you could try my list of AMD flags here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry841334

PLEASE let me know if they work and what if anything they help. No one has provided me any feedback on them. If you could I would appreciate it. THANKS