ALL Fan related issues HERE. Laptop fans, overheating, cold boot no fans +

00diabolic

Fan issues. Have them or not? How do you deal with them?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have experenced overheating due to fans not turning on on your laptop?

• YES I have to go through steps to get my fans on. See question below.
    • No I have no fan issues or I have intermitate fan issues.
  2. 2. What do you have to do to deal with your fan not turning on?

• Power unplug, or sleep trick. Seems to work on Toshibas
    • Reboot when temp reaches certain number to get bios to turn fans on. Only Lenovo option that works
    • I use software to handle my heat issues like coolbook because my fans never seem to spin fast when needed.
    • My fans are on 100% full blast and are loud all the time. So I never overheat but I'm also losing my hearing.
    • I found a kext that fixes my fan issues and I am not sharing the info with the 100's of affected users here. You suck SHARE your info.

260 posts in this topic

It seems that whenever someone thinks they got it its not the true solution and were all back to square one. We need to narrow this down to a driver or something that we can label as the common problem. I have on 10.5.4 JaS and want to go to 10.5.5 but I doubt it will have any affect on this.

Anyone else got a suggestion.. Reboot when its hot is my only known fix still.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have found an answer to my own question (posted to xps m1710 install topic) how to set the fans to full blast in Kalyway 10.5.2 today by sheer accident, and thought people might be interested in this. My fans work at full speed now (or any speed I want them to)! It's a 'cool' mac now (no pun intended) :)

This is what I do to control my fans manually (this procedure presupposes a dual boot Mac/Win system that boots into Mac):

1 - boot into windows first (F8), install i8kfangui21 (http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html)

2 - run i8kfangui. I set it to run at windows start up.

3 - set the fans to full blast - however, any setting can be made, if you feel that the highest setting is too noisy.

4 - Next, restart (turn off computer, select restart)

5 - you will notice that the fans keep running at the setting you selected - right into MacOs!

I checked the temperatures using temperature monitor. Idle: hd - 28*c. dual cores: 26*c and 27*c. According to i8kfagui in Windows, the gpu never gets hotter than about 45*c for normal work. I do have a Zahlman nc-2000 notebook cooler as well. (I am aware that I am paranoid about overheating)

Though this method has the disadvantages of booting into Windows first and the fact that I can't change the speed of the fans while I'm working at the mac side, I am now completely certain my 'mac' will never overheat (unlike 'true' mac notebooks that tend to get very hot). I lost a nvidia 7900gs video card due to overheating, and that's not gonna happen again. The xps m1710 models are well known for their heating issues. No more I say!

I do realise this is a rather extreme method of so-called 'fan control', but it works... ;)

Hope this is helpful information. The fan utility I used should work for a lot of dell notebooks/laptops. Check the above website. Perhaps other fan utilities may perform the same magic for different models and desktops.

it's too bad there's no fan utility for leopard, all the ones I've tried check to see if they are on a macbook before they will even run

I may try getting fan control on a linux live cd instead of using windows, no cdrom on my netbook

One interesting little thing I just found out...

It seems that when I go online using my 3COM usb-wifi-dongle, it kills the fan-control on my machine.

The fans continue working to some extend, but do not react to processor-load or temperature at all.

Some kind of conflict it seems, between the wifi-dongle-drivers(Zydas ZD1211) and the fan-control-drivers(whatever that may be)?

When I don´t go online, my fans are working perfectly...

Perhaps some of you here are also having some kind of conflict between something internet-related(wifi/ethernet driver for example) and the fan-control..?

I'm also having issues with my Lenovo S10 (netbook). Fan runs at whatever speed is set by BIOS at bootup. Tried removing AppleFan and AppleThermal but no improvement.

Can someone who has working fans post a full kextstat log? Maybe we can narrow down what the kext differences are between working and non-working setups.

I had installed 10.5.4 from msiwindosx image, then upgraded to 10.5.5.

I'm also having issues with my Lenovo S10 (netbook). Fan runs at whatever speed is set by BIOS at bootup. Tried removing AppleFan and AppleThermal but no improvement.

Can someone who has working fans post a full kextstat log? Maybe we can narrow down what the kext differences are between working and non-working setups.

I had installed 10.5.4 from msiwindosx image, then upgraded to 10.5.5.

AFAIK nobody has it working on the s10, check the s10 forum, google lenovo s10 forum to find it

It seems that whenever someone thinks they got it its not the true solution and were all back to square one. We need to narrow this down to a driver or something that we can label as the common problem. I have on 10.5.4 JaS and want to go to 10.5.5 but I doubt it will have any affect on this.

Anyone else got a suggestion.. Reboot when its hot is my only known fix still.

Hi Diabolic,

Did you try Mercurysquad's IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext

It does seem to effect fan speed along with CPU Voltage and Frquency.

In case of high CPU load,i guess it is better to lower the CPU voltage and frequency to reduce CPU temp even if fans dont turn up rather than just booting the pc.

Here is the link to IntelEnhancedSpeedStep by mercurysquad:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

Earlier there was a topic on insanely also but it is closed coz it got too lenghty to track...

here is the old link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...9370&st=280

I tried it recently works like charm.

AFAIK nobody has it working on the s10, check the s10 forum, google lenovo s10 forum to find it

yeah, i dont think anyone has this working. i was trying to figure out what registers to poke. here is what i've found so far:

http://s10lenovo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&am...mp;p=4737#p4737

based on this i really dont think there are any existing kexts that would ever make the fans work on a thinkpad/ideapad. interestingly there is a kext called AppleLPC.kext. i have no idea what that can actually do, or what entry points it has. i need to look into that.

yeah, i dont think anyone has this working. i was trying to figure out what registers to poke. here is what i've found so far:

based on this i really dont think there are any existing kexts that would ever make the fans work on a thinkpad/ideapad. interestingly there is a kext called AppleLPC.kext. i have no idea what that can actually do, or what entry points it has. i need to look into that.

Shouldn't the BIOS be able to handle the fan if software is not interfering? I don't think you need any special drivers for Windows for a Thinkpad/Ideapad. It just works. You only need special software if you want to override what BIOS is trying to do.

Shouldn't the BIOS be able to handle the fan if software is not interfering? I don't think you need any special drivers for Windows for a Thinkpad/Ideapad. It just works. You only need special software if you want to override what BIOS is trying to do.

in theory, yes, though i'm sure every bios has its quirks. i've never left the machine in the boot prompt after a hot reboot - does the fan eventually turn off if the machine cools down? i had assumed that the s10 bios was setting the fan once based on the temperature when it's rebooted, but maybe it does actively control the fan.

there are a lot of levels of software here and i'm not sure how they all interact. according to the linux source for all thinkpads, the fan control register itself (at 0x2f in the embedded microcontroller) has an automatic mode - you set it to 0x80 and it should control itself. but then there's the whole ACPI layer which interacts with the thermal zone(s) declared in the DSDT in the bios. i don't know if there's a method declared in the DSDT that tells the system to just take care of itself, but i think there is based on reading some of the linux sources.

i found that on linux, the module called "thermal" runs the fan on the s10, and it seems to do so by making calls to TZ0 in the bios to ask for the temperature and set the fan speed accordingly. i need to study the code more, but it looks like when its unloaded it tries to tell the bios to go into automatic mode... and then the fan speed just stays the same. so it could be that on the s10s (and maybe thinkpads in general) the auto mode just doesnt do anything.

edit: i let the thing sit in the boot prompt starting from hot. the fan came on and ran forever. so i think the bios just checks the temperature when it boots and sets the fan once, and that's all it can do.

also, i dont think that under windows the bios is controlling the fans. i think windows probably has a generic acpi thermal driver which does more or less what the linux one does. with a reasonable DSDT a generic thermal kext should be able to do basic fan control of most any laptop or PC. my guess is that apple thermal control hardware differs significantly from generic PC hardware, and so that's why AppleThermal.kext doesnt do anything. that's just a guess though.

Hey!

The only really problem that I have with kalyway 10.5.2 is that my laptop's fan is always running at max speed.

I have tried every kernel possible at install and am now currently on vanilla kernel.

The system can't adress my core duo intel and shows in the system profiler "2.39 ghz unknown 1 core cpu". I can't use a fan utility by some reason, most likely because my cpu isn't adressed correctly.

Is it dangerous for the laptop to always run with fans at max? is there any working solution?

The laptop is a new Zepto Znote 6324w, the fans work as normal in vista so dust is not the issue here.

Thanks for a great forum!

edit: By the way. My Laptop doesn't feel warm at all but still the fan is at max...

well i was very wrong about this. i found a copy of AppleACPIThermal.kext laying around and after fixing the dependency to handle the latest version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext, the fan is under control of this kext and responds properly to load. i'm guessing this should work for most thinkpads as most of the newer ones seem to have reasonable DSDT information about the ACPI thermal zone.

well i was very wrong about this. i found a copy of AppleACPIThermal.kext laying around and after fixing the dependency to handle the latest version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext, the fan is under control of this kext and responds properly to load. i'm guessing this should work for most thinkpads as most of the newer ones seem to have reasonable DSDT information about the ACPI thermal zone.

Please, could you tell us how to fix the dependencies like you did?

I need to fix my constant max speed fans somehow, maybe this would work..

the Info.plist that's inside AppleACPIThermal.kext has a line near the bottom where it calls out the versions of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOACPIFamily.kext it expects to work with.

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
       <dict>
               <key>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</key>
               <string>1.0.5</string>
               <key>com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily</key>
               <string>1.0.0d1</string>
       </dict>

if you change the 1.0.5 to 1.2.1 then it will load. luckily the interface has not changed between 1.0.5 and 1.2.1

edit: i need to mention that this works great for me with a retail 10.5.5 install. some people that are running msiwinosx on their lenovo s10s have had their systems seriously go to hell when using AppleACPIThermal.kext.

Thanks joeblough,

That helped lower my CPU temperature

Hey!

Can you re-attach the thermal kext?

The appleACPIPlatform is the only thing that I download through that link and I do not have the thermal kext in extensions.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey!

Can you re-attach the thermal kext?

The appleACPIPlatform is the only thing that I download through that link and I do not have the thermal kext in extensions.

Hi!

Today at 10:55 PM I finally solved my issue regarding the laptop fan which were always running on max speed. :D

What I did was that I simply updated BIOS on my Zepto Znote 6324W from bios version "6324_z14N005" to the newer bios version "6324_z14N006"

I hope that others with the same laptop as me will have their issues removed, using this method.

However, if this will work with other laptops I do not know.. but updating to the newest bios whatever laptop you are using might be a good try.

BTW I am running Ideneb 10.5.5

Cheers!

Hi!

Today at 10:55 PM I finally solved my issue regarding the laptop fan which were always running on max speed. :D

What I did was that I simply updated BIOS on my Zepto Znote 6324W from bios version "6324_z14N005" to the newer bios version "6324_z14N006"

I hope that others with the same laptop as me will have their issues removed, using this method.

However, if this will work with other laptops I do not know.. but updating to the newest bios whatever laptop you are using might be a good try.

BTW I am running Ideneb 10.5.5

Cheers!

I think one solution to most of such issues is to correctly recompile DSDT.

A correct DSDT with Latest chameleon bootloader will surely fix all your fan and power management problems.

The reason you were able to fix your problems was that by updating BIOS your earlier incorrect DSDT was updated to a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,friends, I almost read all the comments of this thread, tried several kexts and got kernel panics. Occasionally, I found just pressing several keys twice or more saving me from the hot CPU and GPU chipsets. I'd like to tell you and hope this might be helpful.

There are some functional keys on my keyboard. Keep pressing down Fn then press F2, the monitor of my notebook will be black, press Fn + F2 again, the monitor will turn on, and yes! I heard my fan starting running now. For days, my notebook runs steadily and cool.

My notebook:

Lenovo E42

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5750

GeForce 8400m gs

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Diabolic,

Did you try Mercurysquad's IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext

It does seem to effect fan speed along with CPU Voltage and Frquency.

In case of high CPU load,i guess it is better to lower the CPU voltage and frequency to reduce CPU temp even if fans dont turn up rather than just booting the pc.

Here is the link to IntelEnhancedSpeedStep by mercurysquad:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

Earlier there was a topic on insanely also but it is closed coz it got too lenghty to track...

here is the old link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...9370&st=280

I tried it recently works like charm.

I'm back after being away to long from the OSX scene. Anyway.. This solution as well as herbert123 solution both seem promising but I have also found another possible solution to all of this.

The reason many of us dont have working fans is because of the bios. I have known this was my problem with my 3000 N200 for some time. Then today I stumbled upon this topic: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=101271

The idea here is to edit the bios and change options that are not available normally. This is a great christmas gift if I can finally get OSX running without over heating. I have been looking for a way to completely stop having to use XP and now I might be there. If anyone reads this I will be working on this till i get it worked out and post back here any results I find.

Please post any feedback if you try the bios hack method linked above on your n200.

Thanks all

UPDATE: It appears herbert123 solution does not work on my system (no detectable temp chip). I am not holding my breath for your solution aliasa as I've tried a lot of kext with no good results. I am going to try to mod my bios and see what that does. Heres hoping I dont brick my machine lol.

UPDATE: It appears herbert123 solution does not work on my system (no detectable temp chip). I am not holding my breath for your solution aliasa as I've tried a lot of kext with no good results. I am going to try to mod my bios and see what that does. Heres hoping I dont brick my machine lol.

Good luck I hope it works out for you.

As for me, I finaly got my fans working to the point where they rev up and down, but the system still runs hot. I am not sure what normal running temps are, but my iStatMenus (which can't read any temp but the HDD) says it's at about 39C which is where is always ends up at. f it gets past 43 the laptop shuts down. Does anyone have any ideas for getting it to stay cooler? Running the laptop in my signature.

• 3 weeks later...