ALL Fan related issues HERE. Laptop fans, overheating, cold boot no fans +

00diabolic

Fan issues. Have them or not? How do you deal with them?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have experenced overheating due to fans not turning on on your laptop?

• YES I have to go through steps to get my fans on. See question below.
    • No I have no fan issues or I have intermitate fan issues.
  2. 2. What do you have to do to deal with your fan not turning on?

• Power unplug, or sleep trick. Seems to work on Toshibas
    • Reboot when temp reaches certain number to get bios to turn fans on. Only Lenovo option that works
    • I use software to handle my heat issues like coolbook because my fans never seem to spin fast when needed.
    • My fans are on 100% full blast and are loud all the time. So I never overheat but I'm also losing my hearing.
    • I found a kext that fixes my fan issues and I am not sharing the info with the 100's of affected users here. You suck SHARE your info.

260 posts in this topic

Hey there everyone, read this post and I too have a fan problem. I don't NOT have working fans, but my fans only kick in when the CPU gets very warm. Like, hot to the touch on the laptop near my keyboard hot.

A question: I will try the CoolBook thingy later, but for now what is a good app I can get that will show me my temps?

Here are my system specs:

Microprocessor 1.46 GHz Intel Pentium dual core processor T2310

Microprocessor Cache 1 MB L2 cache

Memory 1024 MB DDR2 (2 Dimm)

Memory Max Up to 2 GB

Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared)

Video Memory Up to 251 MB

Hard Drive 120 GB (5400 RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)

Multimedia Drive Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display

Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem

Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN

Sound Altec Lansing

I am using the Kalyway 10.5.2, updated to 10.5.3, Apple software updated to 10.5.4, using the Vanilla kernel. If you need to know anything else, just tell me (and probably how to do it) and I will reply. I want to see these issues resolved!

AMD's are wack. Never seem to make any sense to me. A lot of us here are on intel. I would look back at some of the previous posts in this topic. There was another AMD user some time ago.

Also you could try my list of AMD flags here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry841334

PLEASE let me know if they work and what if anything they help. No one has provided me any feedback on them. If you could I would appreciate it. THANKS

Nope, did take a loot at the flags, but still not working..

I've started thinking about erasing the whole Mac OS partition..

Hey there everyone, read this post and I too have a fan problem. I don't NOT have working fans, but my fans only kick in when the CPU gets very warm. Like, hot to the touch on the laptop near my keyboard hot.

A question: I will try the CoolBook thingy later, but for now what is a good app I can get that will show me my temps?

Here are my system specs:

Microprocessor 1.46 GHz Intel Pentium dual core processor T2310

Microprocessor Cache 1 MB L2 cache

Memory 1024 MB DDR2 (2 Dimm)

Memory Max Up to 2 GB

Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared)

Video Memory Up to 251 MB

Hard Drive 120 GB (5400 RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)

Multimedia Drive Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display

Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem

Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN

Sound Altec Lansing

I am using the Kalyway 10.5.2, updated to 10.5.3, Apple software updated to 10.5.4, using the Vanilla kernel. If you need to know anything else, just tell me (and probably how to do it) and I will reply. I want to see these issues resolved!

Hi you could try hardware monitor or istat.

Regards

Hi diabolik

just an idea that came out without beeing really tested : when you are in the case of cold boot no fan, have you tried plugging out and in again the AC power ??

i tried to install macos 10.5.2 (kalyway with 9.2.2 kernel and powermanagementbundle) and got some similar cold boot no fan problem on a toshiba satellite a200ECE 1DS (intel chip and cpu (core2duo)). But it seemed that when pluging out the AC, the fan woke up (maybe similar to the suspend wake up trick, but my sleep/suspend was not working on this machine).

Sorry i cannot help you more, because i had to give the computer back, I cannot give more detail on the configuration and everything, but maybe it can be a path to be explored.

If really interested i can manage to get the computer back =)

cheers

Hello,

I've read this thread from A to Z. I was having system freezes and hard shutdowns immediately when I first turn on the computer.

This thread helped me get Coolbook reading my temperature, thanx to the kexts posted here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=29068

The problem is that on cold boot, I immediately get 100 degrees temp in coolbook, and the system shuts down ultimately if I don't restart it. restarting it gets me 72C temps, with or without coolbook.

The plugging-unplugging did not work for me.

I downloaded istat but it didnt give me at all the temp, and fans, readings no matter what I did.

I think the only solution left for me is to try the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, because I don't see any other solution I have except removing the hack, as it is dangerously warming my system. The 72C I get are from an idle system, if I open Safari or anything else, I reach 80C easily.

Any help is appreciated, and if any files, are needed from my part I will gladly supply them, but bear with me, as I'm new to all this.

Thanx

EDIT: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement did not work. It halted at the boot up, it said machine name was Toshiba p-205 and stopped forever.

I am searching a bit to try to solve this, and it says that resetting the SMC might help.

SMC RESET

But it seems it's something hardware related to real macs. Wonder if we can do it by software here. I can't test it now, because i'm at work, and don't have my hack...

EDIT: Has anybody tried this as well? http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html strangely as well, some people reported their fans working with this old update: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/fancontrolupdate.html

I got these from a real mac forum, but this heating issue is very common in real macs it seems, some have reprted 89C temps!!

I tried SMCFanControl, it gave me that I am running the wrong system, and that I should quit. I think it's because About This Mac, no longer gives macbook pro, but Toshiba P-205.

Fan Control, which is a system preferences pane, gives me that I have no fans, yet Coolbook indicates they are running.... iStat also shows no fans....

It seems it all has to do only with the SMC kext, nothing else controls these damn things!

One option left, and that is to reset MC, which I will try soon.

Edit: someone posted this that got their MacBook Pro cooler, but they manipulated Blower & Fan kexts, and I deleted both, and got no solution absolutely!

Anyway, here it is. I haven't tried it yet:

***Disclaimer***

If this kills your computer I am sorry but I am not responsible. While this shouldn't do

anything bad to your computer, their is always the chance.

Some Info

This has only been tested on a 15" MBP, but should run on any apple computer

with fans and OSX. It makes the fans run at all times, and decreases battery life by

5-10min. This requires some thinking and a choice to make when selecting fan

speeds.

Steps

1. Go to the folder /system/library/Extensions/ and find Appleblower and

Applefan.

2. On Appleblower of the files right click and select show package

contents. Open the contents folder and drag the Info.plist file to the

desktop. Make a second copy if this goes horribly wrong and need a

back up. Right click it and Select open with textedit the one on the

desktop. (If it is not one of your choices select other and find it in your

applications and click open). Scroll down till text juts out the furthest

and make it look like what you see below. Note: Lets say you don't

have dualprocessorblower don't add it.

look at a later post on the next page for correct way it should look.

save this file and replace the original. it will ask for a password.

2. Go back to the extensions folder and show contents of Applefan.

Open contents and drag the info.plist to the desktop, make a back up

of this too. look at a later post on the next page on how this file should look.

3. You should have a an apple you can really call a "lap"top.

I've been reading and reading and readin. and I'll start to post my kextstat:

18   10 0x2e02e000 0x4000	 0x3000	 com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.2.0) <12>
  19	4 0x2e07d000 0x3d000	0x3c000	com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.2.1) <18 17 12 7 5 4>
  27	0 0x33f37000 0x4000	 0x3000	 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons (1.2.1) <21 19 18 7 6 5 4 2>
  32	0 0x34132000 0x5000	 0x4000	 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC (1.2.1) <31 19 18 12>
  33	0 0x341e0000 0x2000	 0x1000	 org.tgwbd.driver.ACPIPS2Nub (1.0.0d1) <19 18 12>
  39	0 0x3452d000 0x3000	 0x2000	 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (1.2.1) <19 18 17 12>
  75	0 0x343c9000 0xc000	 0xb000	 com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (3.1.6d0) <74 73 18 17 12 7 6 5 4>
  92	0 0x34921000 0x5000	 0x4000	 com.OSx86Project.kext.ACPICPUThrottle (1.0.2) <12 5 4 2>

Now here's the story. the forst 24h after install of iATKOS the system was running fine. 49 degrees celcius and that's very ok for me. Then the laptop was turned off for several hours and when I cold boot it then the temperature keeps climbing. and climbing up to 70 degrees celcius idle, but when I start something consuming like java the temperature climbs even more.

Now the questions. What can I do. As I've read the 10 pages of this post, there are several things I could start to, but don't know where to start and don't want to break my system. So please link directly to the posts, with instructions... And I'll get back.

Just one more thing, the fans don't cool my system after a reboot when hot, They just turn on before the darwin and got idle(slow) after that.

post-62094-1219083691_thumb.jpg

Mate,

I think for us it's the AppleSMC kext that needs to be adjusted. I don't think any other file matters. Because the rest are simply for the real macs. I deleted lots of those kexts you read in this post, and didn't find any solution. I don't knwo if you can reset the SMC in the link I posted above, maybe it will work. There is also an SMC Firmware update, you might try that as well.

Personally, I might reinstall Leo4All again with its default settings and correct things later, because Leo4All used to run fine for me, no heat problems at all, but now, it does, for God knows which reason... Ubuntu on the other hand, is fine, and gives me temps between 46 & 60 max...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi diabolik

just an idea that came out without beeing really tested : when you are in the case of cold boot no fan, have you tried plugging out and in again the AC power ??

i tried to install macos 10.5.2 (kalyway with 9.2.2 kernel and powermanagementbundle) and got some similar cold boot no fan problem on a toshiba satellite a200ECE 1DS (intel chip and cpu (core2duo)). But it seemed that when pluging out the AC, the fan woke up (maybe similar to the suspend wake up trick, but my sleep/suspend was not working on this machine).

Sorry i cannot help you more, because i had to give the computer back, I cannot give more detail on the configuration and everything, but maybe it can be a path to be explored.

If really interested i can manage to get the computer back =)

cheers

Hello,

I've read this thread from A to Z. I was having system freezes and hard shutdowns immediately when I first turn on the computer.

This thread helped me get Coolbook reading my temperature, thanx to the kexts posted here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=29068

The problem is that on cold boot, I immediately get 100 degrees temp in coolbook, and the system shuts down ultimately if I don't restart it. restarting it gets me 72C temps, with or without coolbook.

The plugging-unplugging did not work for me.

I downloaded istat but it didnt give me at all the temp, and fans, readings no matter what I did.

I think the only solution left for me is to try the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, because I don't see any other solution I have except removing the hack, as it is dangerously warming my system. The 72C I get are from an idle system, if I open Safari or anything else, I reach 80C easily.

Any help is appreciated, and if any files, are needed from my part I will gladly supply them, but bear with me, as I'm new to all this.

Thanx

EDIT: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement did not work. It halted at the boot up, it said machine name was Toshiba p-205 and stopped forever.

I've tried the power plug thing many times with no success. Interestingly I just got 10.5.4 JaS up and running and it seems so far that the fan keeps coming on even if the temp drops below 130F or ~55C.

I am still testing this and by no means is my issue gone. I would give JaS a try though. I think the new Toh kernel in combination with superhai new kexts might be the reason for this success. Still testing though. Will post back here with details.

I am searching a bit to try to solve this, and it says that resetting the SMC might help.

SMC RESET

But it seems it's something hardware related to real macs. Wonder if we can do it by software here. I can't test it now, because i'm at work, and don't have my hack...

EDIT: Has anybody tried this as well? http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html strangely as well, some people reported their fans working with this old update: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/fancontrolupdate.html

I got these from a real mac forum, but this heating issue is very common in real macs it seems, some have reprted 89C temps!!

I've looked at the SMC possible solution early on and it could still be a source of a solution to all of this. We will need to look at it further. I believe the SMC entries are in IOregistry and would need to be altered by whatever kext or bundle or plugin puts them there.

I have tried SMC fan control and it simply does not work on a hack.

I also looked at that old update you found. Funny we must have been doing the same google search. Anyway when I looked at that download it did not seem to have anything that would help as it edited files that were to mac specific.

Mate,

I think for us it's the AppleSMC kext that needs to be adjusted. I don't think any other file matters. Because the rest are simply for the real macs. I deleted lots of those kexts you read in this post, and didn't find any solution. I don't knwo if you can reset the SMC in the link I posted above, maybe it will work. There is also an SMC Firmware update, you might try that as well.

Personally, I might reinstall Leo4All again with its default settings and correct things later, because Leo4All used to run fine for me, no heat problems at all, but now, it does, for God knows which reason... Ubuntu on the other hand, is fine, and gives me temps between 46 & 60 max...

I to have messed with a lot of files and have come to the conclusion that the problem either lies in SMC or AppleACPIPlatform.kext which is the kext that I believe creates all of the SMC entries in the IOregistry.

Also you might want to try 10.5.4 JaS as it seems to be working well for me. If its working this well through all my tests then I have a good idea what it could be and maybe we can finally get an answer to the cold book no fans dilemma.

00Diabolic

Can u make a pool in a top of this topic where people going poll about their idle temperature on their laptops?

Or it's bad idea ?

No not a bad Idea. Ill do it. Actually I'm just going to ask how many people have overheating with there laptops. Then a second question what do you have to do to get it to turn the fans on.

I chose I have to reboot to get the fan to come on but putting the laptop to sleep after it heats up a bit also starts my fans.

I have a Toshiba A205-S5825

Kalyway 10.5.2

See that would mean its tied to power management. Why its not like that for me on my lenovo I have no idea. I wish it was. My only option is to restart when my fans are not on.

Now who choose: "I found a kext that fixes my fan issues and I am not sharing the info with the 100's of affected users here."

Whoever you are I hope its a joke. ha ha... I would find it hard to believe there would be a kext solution thats out there that fixes this issue. Unless those people never had a fan issue at all to began with.

I just wanted to come in and thank Diabolic and others for working so diligently on this issue.

I have a Toshiba A205-S5855 which suffers from the cold boot problem as well. As Diabolic described way earlier in the thread, on cold boot the fan starts during the standard POST procedures and then stops at the GUI load screen. A reboot after the system is warm resolves the issue and the fan works and throttles like normal.

I look forward to any further information that comes to light, especially given Diabolic's latest post about possibly gleaning some insight based on the latest JaS release.

All things considered this is a mild annoyance but not enough to make me throw up my hands in despair. This is my first foray into OSX86 and I'm really enjoying it. I actually dread having to go back over to my Vista tower. :angel:

I just wanted to come in and thank Diabolic and others for working so diligently on this issue.

I have a Toshiba A205-S5855 which suffers from the cold boot problem as well. As Diabolic described way earlier in the thread, on cold boot the fan starts during the standard POST procedures and then stops at the GUI load screen. A reboot after the system is warm resolves the issue and the fan works and throttles like normal.

I look forward to any further information that comes to light, especially given Diabolic's latest post about possibly gleaning some insight based on the latest JaS release.

All things considered this is a mild annoyance but not enough to make me throw up my hands in despair. This is my first foray into OSX86 and I'm really enjoying it. I actually dread having to go back over to my Vista tower. :stretcher:

HA HA.. I hate vista also. Anyway no such luck with the JaS disk. I almost thought I had something but it overheated today and the other day in JaS. Since I am finally able to use a new Kernel I think that is what had me thinking the fan was working but no such luck.

If anyone else has some new ideas.. Were all ears here on the largest fan topic on insanelymac.

For all of our sakes I hope we do find something eventually. It is just an annoyance but also should not be so hard to find an answer for. Seems crazy that no one can find anything on what seems like such a simple issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again 00Diabolic!

Just want to inform you, that after installing iAtkos 4a, my fans are working perfectly. Even after updating to 10.5.5! -_-

Without using any flags or anything.

While using the "Platform=x86pc" trick on my old Zephyroth 10.5.2 install, the fans were really quite unpredidctable, sometimes they worked for a while, and sometimes they didn´t... but now with the iAtkos install they seem to be working reliably...

:rolleyes:

I was having this problem, from days of Jas 10.4.8 till today, I reinstalled my system with 10.5.4 Leopard Retail disk, And SMC kext has no bad error reports in Console log, and fans are working now, I don't know what is different from all distributions and retail one, but it is working. Computer starts normal and working on 40 C, fans are running low, and when I start FinalCut and do some cutting, cpu goes to 55 C and fans starts faster.

But no more need for restart, or plug unplug AC adapter.

I have a Lenovo c200 with Celeron M 430 processor.

EDIT: I tested this morning, and found out that smc is loaded if I start temperature monitor at boot. Does Temperature monitor loads something extra? Funny...

I believe that retail version has nothing to do with this, and that main reason why fan start is if I use Temperature monitor app.

wow I thought this thread was dead. Since my last post, I have removed Leo, and installed Vista but it sucked so much, I installed Ubuntu. It's good, but just not like a mac.

I will re-read this trhead and go through my previous notes ( i hope i still have them); I just wish I knew something more advanced to understand where the problem lies. All I did before, was install and remove several kexts and plugins to see how it worked.

I am already downloading Jas but at 4 kb/s it will take me days to download, and I will try iAtkos as well. I had uphuck 10.4.9 on my desktop and it ran perfectly. I dont understand why we face this problem on laptops but not on desktops.

Hi there. I', back again.

gald to see that someone has some solutions to the fan problems... Maybe I should try with a 10.5.4 release and update it to 10.5.5. it could be very nice with a worling OSX.

As I have iAtkos on a disk right next to me, I'm going to try it out again soon... I'll be back in this thread again, and hope that someone can try to help me to adjust some stuff to get my fans working...

However, how is coolbook working for all of ya using it?

Hi XoDeus,

I hope you can give me back information, as it will take more lots of time to download iAtkos. I am also downloading Jas.

And I will wait for your infomration to see if this will help solve our problems. I remember in installation of uphuck 10.4.9 there was an option "DELETE THERMAL KEXTS" but I think all of us tried it, and didnt work.

Coolbook gave me temps of 70C average, I didnt think it cooled my Toshiba, it just gave me the temperatures. As far as i remember, the one thing it did is that I didnt have the high temperatures on cold boot, other than that nothing important.

I've ow tried with iatkos and jas, latest versions... All HOT... Tried with both speedstep kernels and vanilla and XNU, The last 2 didn't work at all. I've tried to add thermal fix on both installations and tried without... Still running HOT... So right now I'm putting my dreams of running Leo an my lappy on the shelf... Just installed ubuntu and modded it to the max so it almost looks like a real Leo desktop... Hope that all you guys can solve these issues someday and yes I'll be back and I'll be participationg in this forum more...

Now I'm subscribing to this thred and hope that it someday comes up with a fix.

Azureus tells me I still need 10 days to finish both Jas and iAtkos, so from your reply, I might give up downloading them, and instead concentrate on getting Linux running right. I have Ubuntu Studio 8.04 but it's causing me all sort of problems with sleep and video playback and screensaver. I'll subscribe to this thread too, but I'm not counting on this being solved anytime soon.

Talking about Ubuntu, here is what I always do to make the fan work :

1. Reboot when temp goes above 70C

2. Bring the Ubuntu Recovery up then reboot.

3. Reboot back to OSX

My experience shows that it is also possible just bring the Recovery up to ACPI initialization and

then abort the Ubuntu Recovery (by Ctrl-Alt-Del).