ALL Fan related issues HERE. Laptop fans, overheating, cold boot no fans +

00diabolic

Fan issues. Have them or not? How do you deal with them?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have experenced overheating due to fans not turning on on your laptop?

• YES I have to go through steps to get my fans on. See question below.
    • No I have no fan issues or I have intermitate fan issues.
  2. 2. What do you have to do to deal with your fan not turning on?

• Power unplug, or sleep trick. Seems to work on Toshibas
    • Reboot when temp reaches certain number to get bios to turn fans on. Only Lenovo option that works
    • I use software to handle my heat issues like coolbook because my fans never seem to spin fast when needed.
    • My fans are on 100% full blast and are loud all the time. So I never overheat but I'm also losing my hearing.
    • I found a kext that fixes my fan issues and I am not sharing the info with the 100's of affected users here. You suck SHARE your info.

260 posts in this topic

I have iATKOS v2 using GUID partition and efi with vanilla 9.3.0 kernel.

I opted to have non stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext .

I found that there was a mismatch in AppleACPIThermal.kext pligin inside AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

It always gave warning while booting that:cannot resolve dependencies for this kext.

When i corrected this info the plugin loaded successfuly but there was an increase in temperature .Laptop got heated easily.

Removing the plugin has solved the problem but my question is HOW DOES IT HELP FOR A REAL MAC ?

I mean why does this kext increase temp for pc but help to keep temp under control in real Mac.....

Hi my fans come on at 70 degrees and do ont go off till 40 degrees.

I read forums that u need to modify appleblower and applefan.

Has anyone succeded in modifying these kext so fan come on at a certain temperature and go off for example at 45 instead of 40????

when I had a fujitsu amilo pro fan came on briefly at high speed and went off after 5 minutes.

with my dell is a nighmare fans are on for a long time until temp reach 39-40 degrees centrigade.

this is not good for the battery

Well, I have the same issue.

The problem is that my fan sometimes works, and sometimes not.

When it boots and it doesn't work, I have to restart the OS until it works. Otherwise my laptop heats a lot.

I tried to find a solution, but unfortunately nothing changed.

The only way to make it work is unplugging the AC cord and plugging it again, which is very annoying.

I see some people that own Toshiba laptops and have the same issue.

If someone work to solve my problem, I could pay for the help. Only this problem is keeping me away from perfect OSX86.

Try booting with "FN-F4"

***The Keys

Boot with pressing those keyboard keys before darwin comes up until your fans come on. This has been tested on 2 complete different boards :D

@aliasa_anderson - You should be able to find that vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext in this thread. We posted a lot of kext to see what worked. What version of the vanilla one are you looking for? 1.2.1?

I've looked at the AppleACPIThermal.kext and it does not seem to help. It does nothing on my system at all but on real macs apparently it works for something. I dont know why it makes yours hotter that is interesting. However that does seem to be what happens on other hacks also. More research needs to be done with these kext but also with flags.

@robi62 As far as appleblower and applefan goes. I know that applefan is for desktops and only certain G4, G5 desktops use it. It is not for laptops at all. No laptop loads that kext. I have checked a few real macs for that. I have never tried to see what appleblower does though. See what you can dig up on that? Perhaps there is something to that kext that can help us but I think its also for desktops. Either way see what you can find. It might help us all here.

@mp3man You are in the same boat as me. Toshiba and lenovo seem to make laptops the same way. Takes me around 3-4 boots to get my system warm enough but not to warm to where the fan will throttle and not either be completely off or on full blast. The one difference is your able to pull the plug and get fans to work. Damn if I had that ability I'd love it. I can pull the plug and put it back in 100 times and it will not ever turn the fans on doing that. It will just continue to over heat on me.

@Jiver- Interesting trick. What kind of systems has this worked on before? Were they lenovo? or Toshiba? I will give this a shot and see what happens. Weird if this worked I'd want to know why if it does. Seems like a flags could do the same thing if this worked.

@ALL I have a whole list of flags that could potentially answer a lot of these issues. See my flags topic for details. Some are ACPI flags, and cpu related flags etc etc etc. I have been testing some of them and so far have not found a combination that resolves my issue completely. I have found some that have interesting affects though. Some of you guys with different systems might get one of these to work for you. I have to restart on average 4 times to get my fans right. If the right collection of flags was in my boot.plist though it could fix this problem. I have tried the fn= flags and got nothing with them. Still testing others though. Let us know here what you find that works? THANKS ALL!

Thanks Diabolic i'll search the thread for that.

I somehow beleive that AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement may work with AppleACPIThermal.kext.Will try and let you all know.

Does anyone know how to modify the binary inside the kext.Maybe the fan speed config is hardcoded inside the binary itself .

Yes,hope 1.2.1 will work with 9.3.0 Kernel.

Its quite weird that Eskurza and Uphuck's iATKOS v2.0 had a mismatch of version between AppleACPIPlatform kext and two of its plugins namely AppleACPIThermal.kext and ApplePCIConfigurator.kext.

Any ideas what PCIConfigurator does ?

If am not wrong the vanilla ones do not have PCIConfigurator.Am i right ?

Well if you do a google for appleblower and applefan you get a lot of real mac book etc wanting to make laptop cooler but it all seems a bit

complicated.

I modded kext to see if changed anything but did not ,

I have not tried this one though http://www.macinstruct.com/node/198

Great find robi62!!!! :guitar: Wow i totally thought the applefan and blower were for desktops. This really opens up a huge door for us here. I will look at those kext now and see what I can find. On my system currently they do not load but maybe we can figure out why and get them to. kextload will load them manually, is that what you did with both or just one of them? I have an app called lingon that can force a kext to load at boot but if they dont do anything to the fans there would be no point. Still great find cuz perhaps we can find out why they dont load.

Yeah 00 I'm in the same boat.

And the fn + f4 didn't work for me...

Still searching for a solution..

Keep at it. :weight_lift: I would try some of the other flags here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=99891 (especially acpi ones but not platform= that does nothing at least for me)

Let me know if they help you and what ones did. Try one at a time and then try some combos. keep us posted.

Thanks Diabolic i'll search the thread for that.

I somehow beleive that AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement may work with AppleACPIThermal.kext.Will try and let you all know.

Does anyone know how to modify the binary inside the kext.Maybe the fan speed config is hardcoded inside the binary itself .

Yes,hope 1.2.1 will work with 9.3.0 Kernel.

Its quite weird that Eskurza and Uphuck's iATKOS v2.0 had a mismatch of version between AppleACPIPlatform kext and two of its plugins namely AppleACPIThermal.kext and ApplePCIConfigurator.kext.

Any ideas what PCIConfigurator does ?

If am not wrong the vanilla ones do not have PCIConfigurator.Am i right ?

Here is the thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=99891

You would need to edit AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement as it causes me and a lot of others a continues reboot loop. If you can edit it to work on a hack then you might be onto something with the fan issue. Anyone that can get that to work on a hack has no fan issues that I know of. My old laptop an HP C712 could use that kext and had no fan issues. I hope you can do it cause it would fix the fan issues for all of us I'm sure.

I do not know how to modify the binary. That is coding basically and I wish I had the skills. There are people on this site that have that skill level but none of them have this problem so were outta luck practically. I would be glad to test if you tried to make it work though.

I'm not surprised the iatkos team made that mistake. They have had so many disputes lately prob missed it.

I have no idea what PCIconfigurator does. I would guess it would control PCI devices that have power modes built in to save juice. So if your on battery if could put your network card into standby or shut it off. That sorta thing. I know vanilla does have it. That is not a custom kext only AppleACPIPowerSource.kext (for telling the power source for powermgmt on laptops) & ACPIPS2Nub.kext (inject style kext to use old ps2 kext from tiger) are.

Great ideas everyone. Were getting closer to a break through I think. :ihw_wow:

Hi everyone, I had to chime in here cause after the 10.5.3 something weird started to happen with my otherwise perfectly running Compaq C700 notebook. If I left the laptop doing nothing, eventually my temps would spike up over 70C with the fans going fulltilt. This only started with 10.5.3 and threw me for a loop.

I've been fighting this for a few days, and the likely culprit is ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin as that seems to be the only one that changed in 10.5.3.

So, after running out of ideas, I was looking through this thread and saw someone post a link to coolbook. I downloaded it and at first it didn't look like it would work properly.

But I did see that according to coolbook, my cpu was not throttling AT ALL but it did see other potential speeds at which my cpu should be able to run at. I figured for 10 bucks its worth a shot. I registered.

Low and behold this thing works unbelievable well. I can now throttle by speed, or undervolt my processor to my hearts content. Even under my own speedstep kernel adventures, I never had proper undervolting nor full mhz choice working properly.

To put things in perspective, my cpu would idle at around 60C, and under 10.5.3, spiking was occuring for no reason up above 70C. Now I've set coolbook to undervolt my cpu's max mhz (1463MHz) down from 1.250V to .9875V and my cpu now is idling at 50 (and possibly going to go lower as I just installed coolbook within the hour). Unfortunately, I'm at work and doing this all remotely so I can't tell what my fan is doing, but I'd be surprised as all hell if it wasn't running at nearly silent or possibly even off.

I'm going to do a lot more experimenting with this because I think its VERY possible I might be able to run this without any fans on this particular notebook. I deduce this because my fan is solely dependant on AppleACPIThermal.kext to operate with variable control. If I remove this kext, then the fan runs under bios control which turns it on at 82 and shuts off at 60. To continue the thought process, if I'm idling at 50, and under reasonable load I'm not even hitting 60, I can't see why I would even need AppleACPIThermal.kext to control the fan at all.

I'll be sure to update this post as I do more testing tonight. The only downside to this is that you can't really tell for sure if coolbook is going to work for your laptop without buying it, the throttling/under volting can only be done with a registered version. However, for 10 bucks, this is unbelievable positive.

I'm dying to know what my fans are doing...

Paulicat.

Hi everyone, I had to chime in here cause after the 10.5.3 something weird started to happen with my otherwise perfectly running Compaq C700 notebook. If I left the laptop doing nothing, eventually my temps would spike up over 70C with the fans going fulltilt. This only started with 10.5.3 and threw me for a loop.

I've been fighting this for a few days, and the likely culprit is ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin as that seems to be the only one that changed in 10.5.3.

So, after running out of ideas, I was looking through this thread and saw someone post a link to coolbook. I downloaded it and at first it didn't look like it would work properly.

But I did see that according to coolbook, my cpu was not throttling AT ALL but it did see other potential speeds at which my cpu should be able to run at. I figured for 10 bucks its worth a shot. I registered.

Low and behold this thing works unbelievable well. I can now throttle by speed, or undervolt my processor to my hearts content. Even under my own speedstep kernel adventures, I never had proper undervolting nor full mhz choice working properly.

To put things in perspective, my cpu would idle at around 60C, and under 10.5.3, spiking was occuring for no reason up above 70C. Now I've set coolbook to undervolt my cpu's max mhz (1463MHz) down from 1.250V to .9875V and my cpu now is idling at 50 (and possibly going to go lower as I just installed coolbook within the hour). Unfortunately, I'm at work and doing this all remotely so I can't tell what my fan is doing, but I'd be surprised as all hell if it wasn't running at nearly silent or possibly even off.

I'm going to do a lot more experimenting with this because I think its VERY possible I might be able to run this without any fans on this particular notebook. I deduce this because my fan is solely dependant on AppleACPIThermal.kext to operate with variable control. If I remove this kext, then the fan runs under bios control which turns it on at 82 and shuts off at 60. To continue the thought process, if I'm idling at 50, and under reasonable load I'm not even hitting 60, I can't see why I would even need AppleACPIThermal.kext to control the fan at all.

I'll be sure to update this post as I do more testing tonight. The only downside to this is that you can't really tell for sure if coolbook is going to work for your laptop without buying it, the throttling/under volting can only be done with a registered version. However, for 10 bucks, this is unbelievable positive.

I'm dying to know what my fans are doing...

Paulicat.

WoW :) paulicat great to see your input here. :) I got rid of my c712 a little while ago and got this lenovo I am on now and its great in every way except for this fan issue.

As far as coolbook goes I have not gotten it because it does not seem to do anything besides throttle the CPU and I dont have any issues throttling my CPU as I use CPUthrottler.kext and speedstep gui that you helped build actually. My 1800mhz C2D can throttle between 800-1800mhz which is PERFECT. It runs great on my system with netkas 9.2.0 speedstep kernel. So I actually get a pretty cool machine that idles around 40c-50c and at load hits 55-60c or maybe upto 63c but not for long cuz the fans are throttling. BUT this is usually after 3-4 reboots to get the the temp up to the point where the bios will kick the fans on. I believe that is 48c-50c (115F) that triggers that, not sure.

If I go into OSX after a cold boot I get no fans but the throttling of the CPU keeps me cool for a little while (around 50c @ 800mhz to start) but but once I hit load then the issues gets worse and worse until I reboot. I have even locked the CPU at 800mhz but that only prolongs the inevitable. The heatsink in this laptop can not dissipate that much heat without a fan. So the temp climbs from 50c, 60c to 70c in minutes and keeps going the longer I have it on.

We have also explored the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin here and I even tried loading up someone else's (a rebuilt acpiplatform) that had no fan issues but It did not seem to do anything. Now if there is a correlation between AppleACPIThermal.kext and ACPI_SMC then that could be why I saw no change. The AppleACPIThermal.kext does nothing on my system at all. It will load but does nothing. Some say it makes there systems hotter. Now AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement could be the key. That kext causes my whole system to continuously reboot. Maybe after AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement gets loaded it uses AppleACPIThermal.kext and AppleACPIThermal.kext uses ACPI_SMC for values from the SMC. Just a theory because none of those seem to do much on there own. A custom edited AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement kext would really help us a lot! If it could load on a hack then we might see some results with the cold boot issue.

I dont think youl be able to keep your system on for long periods of time with no fans as you will eventually overheat and heat is the worse thing for computer parts. This is why I make sure I get my 3-4 reboots a day in so my fans are on and running to keep my system cool.

I think at least with my system OSX can not detect my system correctly enough to manage the temperature and this is why I must have the bios do it. BUT why then when I cold boot does it not allow the bios to kick it on then. I guess that is because it expects the OS to take over at that point but it never does and thus It overheats.

I know your pretty knowledgeable in this area and hope you can help everyone here with a solution. Your natit.kext is still running my system now so you have really been helpful.

THANKS

Well, I've been using coolbook now for several hours and here's what I've found out so far.

1: With no fans on, my system will run at 70C+ at idle, but does not continue rising. Thats obviously too hot for normal use so I put AppleACPIThermal back in and now I'm idling/light usage at 44-45C with full throttling/undervolting on in Coolbook.

2: With the C700 series, yes AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement does not cause reboot or crash, but it does raise temperatures.

3: Coolbook also does undervolting which GREATLY reduces heat and extends battery life considerably. I'm getting a least a half hour more battery life than I ever got before with my speedstep kernel. I'm certain this is because of the undervolting/reduced heat.

4: Coolbook offers more throttle points than I could get with either my speedstep kernel or even in Vista with RMClock.

5: The best part of Coolbook is that its doing the throttling/undervolting on a stock kernel! Keep in mind, throttling/undervolting is not available in demo mode.

As for your fan issue, try this procedure out, this is what i had to do on my old HP laptop:

1: Remove AppleIntelCPUPwrMgmt.

2: Make sure AppleACPIThermal is loaded

3: Use stock kernel, and no throttling app.

4: Get into osx, and sleep your laptop. Then wake it.

5: If it wakes properly, its possible your fan might kick in.

6: If this doesn't work, repeat all steps above, but try it again after removing AppleACPIThermal.

There seemed to be an apic bug on that laptop that would cause the fan to be turned off during boot, but sleeping/waking would kick it in and it would work properly from there on out.

For the record, AppleACPIThermal is the "Thermal Zone" (in linux, the equivalent is what gives you /proc/acpi/CPU/thermal_zone/temperature) driver that they used back in early Tiger releases before AppleIntelCPUPwrMgmt was included.

Good luck!

I tryed CoolBook. It didnt work on my HP 6720s. I was hoping I could throttle my CPU while running a vanilla kernel.

Im using some mod files (SMBIOS, IOPCIFamily, speedstep kernel, etc): Would that be the problem of CoolBook.kext not working properly? It doestn load by itself and the app just show empty fields...

...I was decided to buy thisone...

As for your fan issue, try this procedure out, this is what i had to do on my old HP laptop:

1: Remove AppleIntelCPUPwrMgmt.

2: Make sure AppleACPIThermal is loaded

3: Use stock kernel, and no throttling app.

4: Get into osx, and sleep your laptop. Then wake it.

5: If it wakes properly, its possible your fan might kick in.

6: If this doesn't work, repeat all steps above, but try it again after removing AppleACPIThermal.

There seemed to be an apic bug on that laptop that would cause the fan to be turned off during boot, but sleeping/waking would kick it in and it would work properly from there on out.

For the record, AppleACPIThermal is the "Thermal Zone" (in linux, the equivalent is what gives you /proc/acpi/CPU/thermal_zone/temperature) driver that they used back in early Tiger releases before AppleIntelCPUPwrMgmt was included.

Good luck!

I would like to try coolbook but i can not run the vanilla kernel at least not without cpus=1. So might not work. But still I would like to try it out before I buy it. I thought that when the CPU was throttled down that was undervolting it to get that speed? So its still at the same volts but just a lower clock with the speedstep app?

paulicat would your suggestion work with any other kernel besides vanilla? I can not use the vanilla kernel unless I use the cpus=1 flag. I can get my system to sleep but never got the fans to kick on after it woke up with netkas 9.2.0 SS kernel. I will give it a shot anyway with my setup now. Maybe the newer kernel will work on my system. I still need to update to 10.5.3.

Any other suggestions?

hi try with this applesmbios first it should work if not try with appleapci as well :)my_kexts.zipLook fully working on my dell 640mpost-179170-1212592804_thumb.jpg

What is that icon of the finder inside of a hat on your screen shot? What app is that?

Cooool!, Worked with that SMBIOS kext! Thanks!

Just for the record: Could you say what/who's version is that kext?

I would also like to know who's SMBIOS that is? I currently use SUPERHAI SMBIOS.

hi try with this applesmbios first it should work if not try with appleapci as well :Pmy_kexts.zipLook fully working on my dell 640mpost-179170-1212592804_thumb.jpg

Woooow! Worked like a charm here :)

I first changed the SMBIOS, not worked. Then I changed the ACPIPlatform +SMBios and now it is working GREAT, even better than Windows! :)

My lap: Toshiba Intel / A135-S4527. Before the new kexts I was revoming the power cable and plugging again to start the fans... the fans was working in a suspicious mode, turning on and off after short periods in high velocity (not in a constant and silence mode). Now everything is working perfect, the fan is working almost constantly and in silence mode even after cool boots.

;)

I should've mentioned before that I am running stock everything right now with Kabyls smbios enabler.

So my kext setup would be stock everything up to 10.5.3, AppleACPIThermal added cause its no longer included and SMBIOS Enabler by Kabyl so I can use stock smbios.

As for CoolBook, undervolting and speedstep are someone different yet similar.

When you change speeds, yes, the voltage also drops, but it doesn't drop to the very lowest voltage possible. It just drops to a preset built into the cpu. Coolbook individually controls the step and the voltage, so in my case, I was able to keep the mhz at top speed but dropped voltage to the very lowest setting. I've run several CPU tests and its 100% stable *for me* at this setting. What this achieves is way less heat, but 0 loss in performance because I haven't reduced the cpu speed at all.

When on battery I do full throttling and voltage just to try and save a little extra battery. I got an extra half hour with CoolBook.

Woooow! Worked like a charm here :(

I first changed the SMBIOS, not worked. Then I changed the ACPIPlatform +SMBios and now it is working GREAT, even better than Windows! -_-

My lap: Toshiba Intel / A135-S4527. Before the new kexts I was revoming the power cable and plugging again to start the fans... the fans was working in a suspicious mode, turning on and off after short periods in high velocity (not in a constant and silence mode). Now everything is working perfect, the fan is working almost constantly and in silence mode even after cool boots.

:D

NETOLA,

Nice to see that your laptop is working! I also have a S4527 and I would like your help.

Can you make a step by step of what you did?

THANK YOU!

Of Course! :D

So, lets do it...

1) Download the new AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/120110071/kexts.zip

2) Unzip the archive to your Desktop folder (The desktop will show both archives...)

3) Enter on /System/Library/Extensions and Backup (drag&drop) your actual AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext to a secure folder and delete both archives from /System/Library/Extensions

4) Download the Kext Helper Application from here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/120112177/Kext_Helper_b7.zip

5) Open Kext Helper, drag & drop the new kexts previously unzipped to your desktop (AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext) to the kext helper interface (it will show theirs names and path).

6) Insert your password on KextHelper and choose the option "easy install

7) Reboot

8) Voyla ;)

Oh, I almost forgot: be sure to use Leo4allv3 / 9.2.0 or 9.2.2 speedstep kernel.

I dunno the results of applying the kexts in other installations nor kernels (Kalyway, iAtkos, ToH, etc...).

I would like to try coolbook but i can not run the vanilla kernel at least not without cpus=1. So might not work. But still I would like to try it out before I buy it. I thought that when the CPU was throttled down that was undervolting it to get that speed? So its still at the same volts but just a lower clock with the speedstep app?

paulicat would your suggestion work with any other kernel besides vanilla? I can not use the vanilla kernel unless I use the cpus=1 flag. I can get my system to sleep but never got the fans to kick on after it woke up with netkas 9.2.0 SS kernel. I will give it a shot anyway with my setup now. Maybe the newer kernel will work on my system. I still need to update to 10.5.3.

Any other suggestions?

What is that icon of the finder inside of a hat on your screen shot? What app is that?

I would also like to know who's SMBIOS that is? I currently use SUPERHAI SMBIOS.

the hat is macpilot also coolbook will run on speedstep as I was using it before i tried on vanilla

I am running with cpu=1 no probs at all