How do you say the "X" in OS X?

How do you say the "X" in OS X?  

1,860 members have voted

1. 1. How do you say the "X" in OS X?

• X...as in the letter.
    • 10...as in the number.

300 posts in this topic

And Adam answered and said, "It is both."

In the age of symbols, Mac is just following the movement towards more and more symbolism.

Take, for example, Southwestern Bell Communications is now legally known as SBC. It's not an acronym, it's just SBC. The sound "ess-bee-see" is their name.

Think about Mac OS X 10.4.5 and Windows XP. Previously it was Mac OS 9 and Windows 3.1. Now every Mac OS release has an animal name, and Windows ... well ... first a date (98), then a cheesy pun on Millenium Edition and a personal pronoun (Me), then XP, which, officically means nothing. (Just like Mustang GT.)

So, it's Mac O-S Eks. When Mac employees say Mac O-S Ten, they're skipping the Eks part. Like so: Mac O-S (Eks) Ten point four point five, or 10-4-5.

So, it's both the symbol Mac OS "Eks" and the technical version Mac OS (Eks) 10-4-5. I've even heard people saying "Oss-eks!" OSX, SBC, ATT, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSN, GOP, W(indows)XP.

Or, I might be totally wrong. Maybe studying corporate branding psychology has not done me any good!

"Ten" may be the official way to say it, but EX makes a lot more sense. OSX is a uniX-like system with a completely different kernel from the previous version. And I don't think Apple would have gone to all the trouble of branding everying with a giant letter X if they really just wanted people to think of it as just another version of the old MacOS. And like someone else said, it doesn't sound right to say "OS Ten Ten point four" or whatever. They could call it X.4 if they really wanted people to say it like that. And perhaps most importantly, "Oh Ess EX: sounds a lot better with the name of this website - you woulnd't want to call it "OS Ten Eighty Six!"

So I'm gonna keep calling it OS-EX - at least until OS XI comes out, then I'll have to decide whether I want to call it "OS Eleven" or "Ohhh-Esss-Ex-Eye." Come to think of it, that sounds pretty cool too - like something out of a spy movie...

Fascinating stuff. I suppose if OS XI comes out the only correct way to address it would be "OS Eleven", which IMHO sounds a bit silly and reminds me of 7/11 stores. Hence, I think that OS X 10.9.x will be the last version in this series. Thereafter we are up to something else. For the time being I guess that OS X 10.5 will show us whether OSX86 has a future or not as it will be the first OS X fully committed to Intel hardware. Support of G3/G4/G5 CPUs is likely to end with OS X 10.4.x, can OSX86 cope with OS 10.5?

"Ten" may be the official way to say it, but EX makes a lot more sense. OSX is a uniX-like system with a completely different kernel from the previous version. And I don't think Apple would have gone to all the trouble of branding everying with a giant letter X if they really just wanted people to think of it as just another version of the old MacOS. And like someone else said, it doesn't sound right to say "OS Ten Ten point four" or whatever. They could call it X.4 if they really wanted people to say it like that. And perhaps most importantly, "Oh Ess EX: sounds a lot better with the name of this website - you woulnd't want to call it "OS Ten Eighty Six!"

So I'm gonna keep calling it OS-EX - at least until OS XI comes out, then I'll have to decide whether I want to call it "OS Eleven" or "Ohhh-Esss-Ex-Eye." Come to think of it, that sounds pretty cool too - like something out of a spy movie...

• 1 month later...
the proper way is supposed to be "ten", but then again i did pronounce this last super bowl as super bowl "ex" "ell", i cant wait for next years super bowl. XXL is gonna rock!!! about time they changed it to shirt sizes!!

Next year's Super Bowl would be XLI, not XXL. In Roman Numerals, XXL wouldn't make any sense.

Support of G3/G4/G5 CPUs is likely to end with OS X 10.4.x, can OSX86 cope with OS 10.5?

What makes you think that? I could see them "officially" ending G3 support, but not G4 or G5 support for at least another version or two. In another couple of months, Apple will be distributing the first betas of 10.5, and they are still selling PowerPC based systems. Based on past transitions (68K to PPC in particular), Apple will have the OS support the older processors for at least another 2 or three years (OS 8.1 was the last to support 68K, and it was released about 3 years after Apple started making PPC machines).

• 2 weeks later...

Mac wanted to call it OS X (as in X)

However, Microsoft copyrighted XP, but not as XP but as X and P

So apple under law cannot call it OS X it needs to be OS 10

They get around it by X being 10 in roman numerals

Thats why in Advertising you will never see OSX and 10.whatever in the same sentence. Its always "OS X Tiger blah blah. Apple 10.4 blah blah"

You dont even see them on the same line on About This Mac as they cant

• 2 weeks later...
Mac wanted to call it OS X (as in X)

However, Microsoft copyrighted XP, but not as XP but as X and P

So apple under law cannot call it OS X it needs to be OS 10

They get around it by X being 10 in roman numerals

Thats why in Advertising you will never see OSX and 10.whatever in the same sentence. Its always "OS X Tiger blah blah. Apple 10.4 blah blah"

You dont even see them on the same line on About This Mac as they cant

god i hope that isnt true

if it is, tomorrow im copyrighting the letter A, no one else can use it.

you ssholes re done

• 2 weeks later...
I read something the other day that told the correct way to say OS "X," but I think it's wrong. Do you say it as "X" or "10?"

I wonder though if the poll where to be on Mac users or Apple website, if the poll would be more skewed toward OS 10, whereas "X" is geared toward x86 :graduated:

"X" IS TEN!!!

Mac OS X v10.0 (Cheetah)

Mac OS X v10.1 (Puma)

Mac OS X v10.2 (Jaguar)

Mac OS X v10.3 (Panther)

Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger)

Mac OS X v10.5 (Leopard)

The character X is a Roman numeral and is officially pronounced "ten", continuing the numbering of previous Macintosh operating systems such as Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9. However, it is common to read it as the letter X and pronounce it "ex". One possible reason for this interpretation is the tradition of giving Unix-like operating systems names that contain the letter "X". (AIX, A/UX, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux, Minix, Ultrix, Xenix, NeXT). Another possible reason is Apple's tendency to refer to specific versions in print (for example, "Mac OS X version 10.4").

• 3 weeks later...

You could just say "I use Mac OS Roman numeral ten version ten point four point four", but just saying OS 'ex' is easier, faster, and dissipates less CO2 into the atmosphere. so theoretically, you could be saving the environment. But i guess both ten and ex are about the same length, so maybe my argument is completely useless in this situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...