How do you say the "X" in OS X?

How do you say the "X" in OS X?  

1,860 members have voted

1. 1. How do you say the "X" in OS X?

• X...as in the letter.
    • 10...as in the number.

300 posts in this topic

I say Mac OS "EX" even though I know it's wrong... I find it funny that most people call it the wrong thing... It says on wikipedia that it's 10, and I think that's how Steve Jobs says it, so it's probably 10.

that is how steve jobs says it

• 3 weeks later...

It's 10, as in System 7, 8, OS 9. And this thread is 8 pages !!

The written 'X' is coincidentally a nice play on NeXT and UNIX.

10.4.8, or whatever, is the version tracker.

OS 11, pehaps it will be XI, ecks eye !! jeeez,...

It may be 10.11.1 The Persian Pussy

OS X 10.4 Tiger, do you call it "10.4" or "Tiger"?

It's 10, as in System 7, 8, OS 9. And this thread is 8 pages !!

The written 'X' is coincidentally a nice play on NeXT and UNIX.

10.4.8, or whatever, is the version tracker.

OS 11, pehaps it will be XI, ecks eye !! jeeez,...

It may be 10.11.1 The Persian Pussy

OS X 10.4 Tiger, do you call it "10.4" or "Tiger"?

10.11.1 The Persian Pussy? from tiger to leopard, i think it better be OS 11 Cat. meow!

• 2 weeks later...

Well i must say it's been an interesting 8 pages to read.

But does it really matter what you say? And yes, i've been with it all the way since System 6.

Anyone that knows what Mac OS X is knows that it is version 10, based on BSD.

BSD-unix, 10-X

I think they were pretty smart when they came up with that.

I think i probably use both, but i'm never in contact with OS 9 or older anymore so sometimes i just say Mac OS because basically there is only one worth mentioning.

And as some have mentioned, Mac OS X(ten) 10.4.8 sounds stranger then saying Mac OS X(ehks) 10.4.8.

And i don't think we have to worry about OS 11, they will have different name for that one, if it will even come out.

Well, I say OS "EX", and frankly, if Steve Jobs really cared what people called it, as stated earlier, he would not have come up with XServe and XCode, because they are not pronounced 10Server and 10Code. Personally, I believe if you asked Steve if it was wrong to say "EX" he would say no. They broke that naming convention when they started making software that was pronounded with the "EX" sound (XServer, XCode, etc) and although X is a roman numeral, it is also a letter of the english alphabet, so Steve isn't so stupid that he would not have forseen that some people were eventually going to call it OS "EX". The name sells, as a roman numeral or a letter, Apple is simply thankful that everyone enjoys the operating system.

The "X" in OS X was not something intelligent guys dreamed up to relive the hayday of Roman Numerals. It was the first Apple OS to run on UNI"X" and at the time of the first 10.0 release on PPC, they were already developing a copy for "X"86 architecture, which its commonly refered to as "Intel Architecture" or "IBM Architecture" for those that want to use vanila terms rather than the literal. So you see, the "X" has many reasons for being in the name of OS X, so both ways of pronouncing it are acceptable.

A final note, to those "Apple Old School Cool Folks" who think they are better than the rest of us, I'll have you know I have been a developer for UNIX, LINUX and AmigaOS since the days when Apple's operating system was nothing but an over hyped software program. Such a joke that it couldn't even be classified as an OS. Apple never had a decent OS until it switched to UNIX with OS X, so those that think OS9 was a great achievment, you can get off your high horse. Some of us have been building, coding and breaking computers before a lot of you even owned a computer, because you were either not even born or your mother was still wiping your little nose, so don't even think about SMIRKING at me when I say OS "EX".

"Old School" is for those of us that were around at the turning points of computer technology... those of us that know what a dial-up BBS system is when we used 300 and 1200 Baud Modems through a serial hookup because we didn't have ISA cards... don't know what they are? Thats before PCI cards came about. Yeah, I'm talking about a time when the Internet was unheard of outside of the US Governement because it was still a secured, private network. A lot of you can't even imagine a world without the Internet.. but amazingly enough, it wasn't always around. I am OLD SCHOOL, and I'll smirk at any punk that dirties the meaning of that name by referring to it in reference to Apple. By the way, I like Steve Jobs... he is a brilliant man who was on the cutting edge while Microcrap was sneaking and stealing ideas, but to say anything that came out of Apple from the time Microcrap released Windows 95 up until Apple finally came out with OS X is laughable.

Anyway, that is my II cents on that topic. You see, even I can use roman numerals.

• 2 weeks later...
A final note, to those "Apple Old School Cool Folks" who think they are better than the rest of us, I'll have you know I have been a developer for UNIX, LINUX and AmigaOS since the days when Apple's operating system was nothing but an over hyped software program. Such a joke that it couldn't even be classified as an OS. Apple never had a decent OS until it switched to UNIX with OS X, so those that think OS9 was a great achievment, you can get off your high horse. Some of us have been building, coding and breaking computers before a lot of you even owned a computer, because you were either not even born or your mother was still wiping your little nose, so don't even think about SMIRKING at me when I say OS "EX".

With all due respect, I smirk at your comments about the classic Mac OS. :) If it wasn't really an OS, - smirk - you can gladly call it a GUI - smirk -.

O ESE EQUIS

¿Realmente dices O ESE EQUIS en lugar de OS EQUIS? Nunca había oído pronunciarlo así en castellano...

Really do you say "O ESE EQUIS" instead of "OS EQUIS"? I've heard pronouncing it this way in castilian spanish...