How do you say the "X" in OS X?

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you say the "X" in OS X? (1842 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you say the "X" in OS X?

1. X...as in the letter. (1295 votes [67.52%])

Percentage of vote: 67.52%

2. 10...as in the number. (623 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

joelogic

joelogic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:I'm a computer programmer in the USAF. I'm a trance DJ outside of work.
hehe I dont care HOW you all say it as long as you dont ever, ever, ever, verbalize "Microsuck" or anything other variant of that garbage.

It's almost as bad as overhearing my younger cousing talking to his friend and then sayings "Jay Kay" (j/k)

I wanted to punch him in the throat

Prog

Prog

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

hehe I dont care HOW you all say it as long as you dont ever, ever, ever, verbalize "Microsuck" or anything other variant of that garbage.

It's almost as bad as overhearing my younger cousing talking to his friend and then sayings "Jay Kay" (j/k)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's nothing wrong with doing that (saying "jay kay"). He was just exploring the functionality of our language. No matter if you consider it "n00b" or stupid.

Guest: terry_*

Guest: terry_*
  • Guests

Oh, look, Mom, a neanderthal...

How did you know? Actually I LIVE down in that Duesseldorf/Wuppertal area.

Wonderful place, even though it is very close to one of Germany's foremost industrial centers. :)

http://www.planet-wi...neandertal2.jpg

http://www.geoakadem...nderthal_gr.jpg

http://www.med.uni-d...1ObenRechts.jpg

http://butthead.ton....tschland_40.jpg

http://butthead.ton....tschland_41.jpg

http://butthead.ton....tschland_49.jpg

Yukon Kid

Yukon Kid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I say OS 10.. but what do I know, I would use Tiger or Jaguar or what ever the code name is but who would know what i mean?
I choke on saying OS 9 cause my other computer uses the real OS 9. that one confuses me.

joelogic

joelogic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:I'm a computer programmer in the USAF. I'm a trance DJ outside of work.

There's nothing wrong with doing that (saying "jay kay").  He was just exploring the functionality of our language.  No matter if you consider it "n00b" or stupid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure, there might be nothing wrong with it, but I still would have liked to hit him :D

zhLilDoggi

zhLilDoggi

Former Admin of OSX86 Project.

• Retired
  • 199 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Microsuck Windows :D

(offtopic)

Kujila

Kujila

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I say OS X ("ex") and everyone I've ever known has said it OS X ("ex")... I had never ever heard it called OS "10" before reading this topic =P

jefffromdc

jefffromdc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
jeez, i had no idea i was wrong about calling it os x... everyone i've ever met has called it that, dang. and

http://www.safalra.c...nustorvalds.mp3

opieum

opieum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I think the reason they used roman numeral X (10) is because it looked cool. For the real smart people out there it appealed to them because it was a classic way of thinking the "old" way of seeing numbers. for others they think hey that LOOKS cool but I know what it means cause I used OS 9. And then there are people who didnt even know there was an OS 9 and just say HEY that is a cool sounding name. OS X (as in the letter). I think it is just super smart advertising. They got it together with the advertising. So if they call it OS 10 then so it is when verbalized BUT when written out it just looks damn cool to call it OS X. See? Smart guys those marketing people are in Cupertino.

iLux

iLux

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I say Mac OS X 10.4.2 Tiger, for exemple
(Mac OS ex ten dot four dot two Tiger)

HBP112358

HBP112358

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
does it really matter how you say it? X>10? eather way people know what your saying

Takuro

Takuro

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 1,162 posts

Fugu

Fugu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Something like "Oh Ess tenn"

mikesown

mikesown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I say it as "OS X". If jobs wanted people to say OS 10, he would have named it that! ;)

stelriah

stelriah

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
if you say osx nerds will smirk enough to let those shiny braces shine through. arent you little old for braces?

guile

guile

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i've always said "ecks" :P I say "ecks" to for "Jason X" ;)

niteice

niteice

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Reading on the web and such I read "oh ess ecks" in my head, but speaking I pronounce it like Apple wants us to. Go figure.

hatoncat

hatoncat

Christopher Price

• Retired
  • 159 posts
The naming problem stems from Apple using "X Everyhere" to put a spin on the recent IBM/AMD marketing campaigns.

Xserve is not called "10serve", which drew people to question if Mac OS X should continue to be called "10".

Bottom Line: Mac OS X is still version 10, it simply has continue to evolve from the core foundations of 10 to new renditions of 10's foundings. Hence, Tiger is Mac OS X (Ten), 10.4.

Xserve is pronounced as X-Serve. Enjoy Apple profit center time-out to follow brought to you by Google Ads.

EtherealRemnant

EtherealRemnant

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
I say X. I'm well aware of the fact that its meant to be 10 and the fact that X is the roman numeral for ten. But X sounds much better than Mac OS 10. Mac OS X differentiates from the norm of naming things by a numbering system and makes the OS seem that much more "different" which totally fits the slogan of "think different".

brad

brad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I always say

OS-EX
LIN - IKS (i have heard Linus say it)
K - AE - SH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy