How do you say the "X" in OS X?

How do you say the "X" in OS X?  

1,860 members have voted

1. 1. How do you say the "X" in OS X?

• X...as in the letter.
    • 10...as in the number.

300 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

The naming problem stems from Apple using "X Everyhere" to put a spin on the recent IBM/AMD marketing campaigns.

Xserve is not called "10serve", which drew people to question if Mac OS X should continue to be called "10".

Bottom Line: Mac OS X is still version 10, it simply has continue to evolve from the core foundations of 10 to new renditions of 10's foundings. Hence, Tiger is Mac OS X (Ten), 10.4.

Xserve is pronounced as X-Serve. Enjoy Apple profit center time-out to follow brought to you by Google Ads.

• 3 weeks later...

I say X. I'm well aware of the fact that its meant to be 10 and the fact that X is the roman numeral for ten. But X sounds much better than Mac OS 10. Mac OS X differentiates from the norm of naming things by a numbering system and makes the OS seem that much more "different" which totally fits the slogan of "think different".

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, as a real mac person myself, you would say

Mac O S Ten point 4

or just Tiger.

Everyone in Macworld assumes that you have the latest updates. Apple updates aren't like Microsoft updates, Apple updates actually do positive things (unlike SP2!!).

[PM]

ok then... how do u pronounce linux?

and cache?

never know how to use those two words in real speech lol

Linux is pronounced like little or lynda. There is only one correct way to say it because its based on Linus torvalds name. (Not Linus from charlie brown =) )

Cache. This is pronounced like cash rash, and bash. Again there is ONLY one way to correctly pronounce it. Its not CAY-SH or CASH-AYE. This one is actually worse to misprounounce becuase its not a word someone in the tech industry made up. Its the same word such as "arms cashe" or "supplies cashe". It refers to a place for hiding or storing things. We dont see a general on CNN telling us how the marines in Iraq found and destroyed a munitions cach-ay. If you mispronounce Linux, it was something someone made up, so you really cant be faulted for not knowing. If you mispronounce cache,its something you didnt know about your native language (unless its not your native language,in which case I applaud you for even speaking a second language and I dont think anyone can fault you on any of your errors)

Linux is pronounced like little or lynda. There is only one correct way to say it because its based on Linus torvalds name. (Not Linus from charlie brown =) )

Cache. This is pronounced like cash rash, and bash. Again there is ONLY one way to correctly pronounce it. Its not CAY-SH or CASH-AYE. This one is actually worse to misprounounce becuase its not a word someone in the tech industry made up. Its the same word such as "arms cashe" or "supplies cashe". It refers to a place for hiding or storing things. We dont see a general on CNN telling us how the marines in Iraq found and destroyed a munitions cach-ay. If you mispronounce Linux, it was something someone made up, so you really cant be faulted for not knowing. If you mispronounce cache,its something you didnt know about your native language (unless its not your native language,in which case I applaud you for even speaking a second language and I dont think anyone can fault you on any of your errors)

aha, reminds me that i didnt know how to pronounce linux either, but hey, i'm french, so bow down to me cuz i can speak a second language :(. but thanks cuz now i know how to pronounce it. btw, how do you pronounce "dude"?

Microsuck Windows :)

(offtopic)

??!! Are you just ignorant or brain damage. Everyone knows how to pronounce that correctly. Its pronounced..... Winslowz. ;-)

aha, reminds me that i didnt know how to pronounce linux either, but hey, i'm french, so bow down to me cuz i can speak a second language :(. but thanks cuz now i know how to pronounce it. btw, how do you pronounce "dude"?

the u in dood is pronounced like rude or the oo in tool. Rude,dude,lewd,crude. All the same sound.

" Like Duuuuuuuude! ,check it out!!" (you imagine this guy with long blond hair,in shorts with a surf board.)

• 4 weeks later...

i say X as letter, i know its for the roman number 10, but X just sounds way cooler.

i heard some apple dude saying X as letter as well in the intro video of Panther. That was an awsome video.

-fm

• 2 weeks later...
How the hell did this poll get so.... wrong?

Jobs himself has stated more times than I care to remember that the correct pronunciation is "Mac OS Ten"

yes... and the day Mr. Jobs is the majority customer and user of OS-X, I'll be happy to call it by whatever he deems the "proper" name to be.

Until then, as you can see, the majority like "X", and if I'm going to communicate with the majority, I'm going to use their lingo, regardless of what's considered correct in some official capacity.

Until then, as you can see, the majority like "X",

The majority of people posting in this thread, yes, but not necessarily out there in "real life". It was in this thread that I heard people pronouning it like "ex" for the very first time. Anyway, call it like you want.