59 replies to this topic

tayklor

tayklor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
sorry about the Leo thing.

dos anyone know if the AppleTV has a finder on the HD?

Embio

Embio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

OS X running on SSE2 WITHOUT emulation??

excellent point that no one else has mentioned, Dragon - would be good to compare Apples way of doing things to the communities way

ampTK

ampTK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
EMBIO, Why would apple need SSE3 emulation, it's their software, they can make so it doesn't need SSE3.

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts

sorry about the Leo thing.

dos anyone know if the AppleTV has a finder on the HD?

It does not.

mactijn

mactijn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
For information gathering, we set up a wiki. You can find it at http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/

Also, there is a major collaboration effort going on on IRC. See the wiki for more details.

macFabri

macFabri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

It would be nice to get a backup image of original drive in iTv :thumbsup_anim: can you do it? :thumbsup_anim:

Email me !

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts

Email me !

Yeah, could I also grab a copy of the AppleTV image? :thumbsup_anim:

aberracus

aberracus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
Welcome Mactijin,

As i told you before in IRC, this is the best community to get the Apple Tv Working....

glad to have you around, you have been a pioneer in the apple tv hacking

cheers

Embio

Embio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

EMBIO, Why would apple need SSE3 emulation, it's their software, they can make so it doesn't need SSE3.

Exactly my point.

aberracus

aberracus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
Theyitunes version is running with only sse2 support, does we have a list of sse3 requiering OSX xomponents?

Lumi

Lumi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Has anyone thought about trying to boot from the USB port? With and without the internal drive connected? What if the USB port is for re-imaging purposes? Is there a version of linux / darwin / a.n.other OS for pen drives or removable HD's that supports EFI instead of standard BIOS?

The ideal situation would be to plug a pen drive in to the USB port that you could boot from, the pen drive could then boot some OS and mount the internal disk, using a script make any mods to the equipment and replace any modules, all without voiding the warranty on the hardware.

Apple have included an image of the boot disk inside of the 400MB recovery partition. What if apple / apple service centres have a USB key they can boot from, that has an imaging utility, plug in, boot and re-image the unit from the copy on disk or from the key itself?

Then what if apple later wants to sell updates to AppleTVOS? It could package USB Pen drives in boxes, media cost for these is very low now, boot from the pen drive, it updates the files on the disk, switch off, unplug, reboot and voila! Updated AppleTV.

ampTK

ampTK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
Oh, i want an image too, but i'm too busy to play with it, maybe next week i'll download it. I hope it shows up on demonoid by then.

Can anybody confirm the presence of the TPM on the machine? just to be sure...

Mr. Bond

Mr. Bond

The man with the golden gun.

• Retired
  • 881 posts
No TPM, but Karma.

And afaik, most of the system-related OS X binaries require SSE3...Finder, ATSServer, Rosetta, etc.

vava

vava

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

Is Frontrow.app running as the UI on Apple-TV?

Has somebody already checked the AppleTV Frontrow.app/ Folder for Icons which are not shown in the Apple-Tv OnScreen Menu?(Maybe a DVD Icon?)

Somebody might try to run this Apple-TV Frontrow on a Mac maybe more features pop up if there is more Hardware present(eq DVD-Drive)

ampTK

ampTK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
No, I heard the ATV interface is a program replacing finder, it's effectively it's finder.app.

Jabba_

Jabba_

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

For information gathering, we set up a wiki. You can find it at http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/

Also, there is a major collaboration effort going on on IRC. See the wiki for more details.

Looking through the file list posted there, there's some major stuff put in it.
iChat,BlueTooth stuff, iSightAudio stuff, Mail, Remote desktop,etc. The list is too long.

Also, it seems like this OS is prepared for different hardware too.
I wonder if it can handle USB mouse and keyboard.

Cheers!

dzinerman

dzinerman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
don't have an apple tv, but i would definately get one if i could set it up as micro mac. Don't know if this will help, but my guess is the USB is for diagnostic/repair like apple says. the trick is geting it into service mode. maybe someone with an ATV could try holding different button combos on the ir remote at boot to trigger it. sorta like reset on an ipod, or booting the ipod to firmware/stat mode. The ir remote is the only input this sucker has, apple's not going to tear it down just to fix something. Watch your local Genius Bar closely for ATV problems and fixes.

if so, you will probably need a special usb cable, and then you can target disk the HD on the ATV.

Another thought: Anyone tried installing webmin? that would open up a lot of system cababilities/file transfer. it would open up process vieweing and termination. just another thought. Man, i want to get one of these things now, just to fool with it.

macFabri

macFabri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Already changed the HD to new one ( 100GB ) doing the steps from here:

http://www.appletvha...pgrade-process/

All works fine !

aberracus

aberracus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
Visual hub 1.22 is apple tv ready just click below ipod/tv screen its invisible but clickiable

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
Yah we need a image, i've been beggin around on IRC, but no one wants to do one for me >:) (withdrawn :P).

EDIT: Theres one on oink, so i withdraw my {censored} claim :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy