• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Suzuran

Suzuran

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I would have to say the Apple II, even though it's not really a Mac (But neither is Lisa, which was mentioned above). That machine was a godsend for our public school system, even years after Apple stopped selling them. It gave many kids (and myself) our first exposure to computers. It could withstand the beatings dished out by grade schoolers and could be connected to standard TVs. The insides were not difficult to work with and you could easily swap parts around if needed. If I had to pick the most influential computer of the early PC age, I would have a hard time picking between the Apple II and Commodore 64. The IBM PC and its clones were just too expensive and didn't catch on until far later. Without the II there never would have been a Mac or Lisa.

yoda75

yoda75

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

I'd have to say the G4 Cube. It was simply perfect!

+1 for the cube! :)

I hear a lot of talk around these parts of the need for an expandable micro desktop. I think Apple should resurrect the cube. Think about it. It would be just like the mini but with a desktop sized hard drive and dedicated graphics card. All of which would be easily accessible to users.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets

I'd have to say the G4 Cube. It was simply perfect!

I agree with you, only if they continue the line with better processors, graphic cards etc.

~Neo

~Neo

The installer man. Formerly known as "NeoPheus"

• Retired Developers
  • 644 posts
Yep I agree with the cube too!
It was just an amazing design, there was no noise!
If Apple would build a Cube with an Intel processor I would buy it!

I love my cube (hm ok a bit modded; Geforce 6200, 1 GB Ram, Sonnet 800 Mhz CPU) :) and never would give it away!!

cYa ~Neo

FUKKU

FUKKU

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I'm gonna go with the G4 cube, the lamp iMac G4, and the Macbook. If Apple came out with a Conroe cube with good graphics for the price of an imac I'd buy it the next day.

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
add another vote for the apple G4 powermac cube! ;)

altho there were only 148,000 that rolled off the production line, its the most beautiful apple in my eyes :D

i feel lucky, i got a whole bunch of them last december :P (2 working and 4 cases)

bwhsh8r

bwhsh8r

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 2,085 posts

add another vote for the apple G4 powermac cube! ;)

altho there were only 148,000 that rolled off the production line, its the most beautiful apple in my eyes :P

i feel lucky, i got a whole bunch of them last december :P (2 working and 4 cases)

drop somethin like a p4 up in one of those :D

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

drop somethin like a p4 up in one of those ;)

the project core2duo cubed teaser (link in my sig) is me dropping a 2ghz core2duo into one :D
much much faster than a p4 :P

bwhsh8r

bwhsh8r

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 2,085 posts

the project core2duo cubed teaser (link in my sig) is me dropping a 2ghz core2duo into one ;)
much much faster than a p4 :D

lol just a little bit..... and im still on biosmodding! lol good project though!

ResX

ResX

InsanelyHack

• Retired
  • 818 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, People, Macs
my last reply was way off topic, so the most influential mac...

the original iMac. The revision A iMac, Bondi Blue, 233 Mhz PowerPC 750 (G3). It gave people a cheap, powerful mac at a decent price, and it looked nice. for the first time in computer history (1999) a computer wasnt beige or black, it was semi-translucent blue and white.

the greatest... cant say. apple is always getting better, so the greatest mac is always changing.

but the (two) coolest and most classic looking i can think of: The Cube and the G4 iMacs (the one with the round white base and movable screen)

when my dad worked for a manhattan graphics firm way back when, they were the first to get cubes, and they were absolutely the coolest things i had ever seen. truly a work of technological art.

the second gen G4 iMacs are another favorite, but for no main reason. they just looked cool. (i think they introduced the "angelic" white weve all come to know and love on these models.)

SoŁndless

SoŁndless

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,318 posts
  • Interests:surfing, macs, skating, scheming
the imac g4s are fun ( i played tuxracer on one last time i was supposed to be taking a french test). i would love to see apple bring back one like that. i am going to make a c2d imac g4 thing when i build up my funds again.

boo50

boo50

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
the best thing which Apple makes is OSX.

the greates mac for me is G4 cube - there is no analogs in the world !!

but it's not the best selling product - it's an uncommon product.
i'll be glad to have modern model like old cube.

also the best designed mac is a Job's lamp (iMac G4).

blackandblue

blackandblue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
another one for the cube, i think they are super cool.
But that said im a huge fan of the Blue and White G3, it was powerful, expandable with normal pc components, that fantastic case that folded open, had firewire and usb so it holds its own even today. And runs from OS 8 through to 10.4 and 10.5 with some coaxing. truely amazing considering its from 99. mine is still going strong today. and it looked so slick compared to the market at the time.

bigeasy

bigeasy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
A g4 cube is actually on display at the new york museum of modern art, it is just that good looking!

candykane

candykane

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 540 posts
The Imac G3.... its the reason apple is still around to day :thumbsup_anim: we sould all worship it hehe
the lamp iMac G4 is het only mac i have never owned but its so nice i deam about owning one
the quicksilver G4 design is what i like the moost. :star_smile:

Paranoid Marvin

Paranoid Marvin

Insanely Around Sometimes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
Personally, I like the iMac G5/C(2)D as it is just an amazing piece of engineering.
They have a huge widescreen moniter, a webcam, and a powerful computer all in such a tiny foot print

Lostgame

Lostgame

Lostgame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Programming, game design, OSX, music design, photo editing, movie making.<br /><br /...
Definitely the cube. I can see how it would be hard to argue otherwise.

FUKKU

FUKKU

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Definitely the cube. I can see how it would be hard to argue otherwise.

Poor pricing and sales, which is what did the cube in. I think Apple could re-release something similar today and it would be more in the imac price range than powermac/mac pro though. People would definitely buy it at $1000-1500 I think.

Lostgame

Lostgame

Lostgame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Programming, game design, OSX, music design, photo editing, movie making.<br /><br /...

Poor pricing and sales, which is what did the cube in. I think Apple could re-release something similar today and it would be more in the imac price range than powermac/mac pro though. People would definitely buy it at $1000-1500 I think.

Well, pricing and sales have nothing to do with the actual computer itself, you know what I mean? It failed not because it wasn't a great computer - it was, it is by far the most cost-effective easily customizable mac that has ever been released, even today. But that's what made it so great, you know?

glassJAw

glassJAw

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
OSX86, because I would not be using this macbook if I never tried OSX86.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy