[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

I'm hoping someone can help... I've successfully installed Sierra on my Optiplex 780 (Core Duo E8400), but I can't get sound. I've tried the on-the-fly method, but no go. I loaded VooDoo 2.8.6, and I can SEE the output options, but no sound is coming out. When I use Toleda's codec detect, it shows VooDoo, but it says no audio codec detected. Sound is all I need for this machine to be good to go! Please help! Thanks.

@MacPeet

I'm hoping you could take a look for me. I can't seem to do anything to get the sound working. It worked just fine with 10.12.3 using On the fly.

It also seems that Clover(4049) is not installing to the EFI partition however it is booting just fine. 

EFI.zip

Update: Got audio working! Used MacPeet's combined AppleALC/Lilu kext from post #401, and a vanilla Sierra AppleHDA.kext from Tonymacx86, and I'm listening now to the sweet sounds of Pandora through the rear audio jack. *whew* Took some digging through this thread, but thanks!

• Like 2

Update: Got audio working! Used MacPeet's combined AppleALC/Lilu kext from post #401, and a vanilla Sierra AppleHDA.kext from Tonymacx86, and I'm listening now to the sweet sounds of Pandora through the rear audio jack. *whew* Took some digging through this thread, but thanks!

I swear this was one of the 300 things I tried already......but it worked this time. So Thank You! Much appreciated.

• Like 3

@vdubbus77

Do you now have sound with AppleALC?
Lilu.kext is already integrated in my AppleALC.
The method with AppleALC needs the original AppleHDA.
Nice if it works with you.

@for all
Update:

10.12.5 DP Beta 2 16F54b works    :)

new Night Shift - Patch:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312656-guide-macos-sierra-1012-dell-optiplex-780-760-755-790-990/page-26?do=findComment&comment=2398751

I've updated from el capitan to sierra 10.12.1 and got black screen with nvidia GT710 2gb. Updated latest driver on web driver same problem. I'm only able boot with nv_disable=1 but graphic card show only 6mb. Any idea?

Updated:

I've update to 10.12.4 then uninstalled and reinstalled nvidia web driver. Now I can boot to desktop and Mac OS sierra has regconized graphic GT 710 2047mb. I'm using smbios 10,1 though.

post-1684590-0-85110100-1492358081_thumb.jpg

Are you using dell 780? I can boot to desktop after changed to smbios 14,2 but mouse and keyboard are not response. It's seem like all usb port not working. Any idea?

You must edit the info.plist of USB_Injector.kext and change every occurrence from iMac10,1 to iMac14,2.

Update - I never got the 780 working, but I have a 760 DT that worked perfectly. I followed this guide and this one too. 

I have no idea what was wrong with the 780. It runs Windows perfectly, but I could never get into the Sierra installer.

If you can't get into the installer, make sure that computrace isn't set to active under bios.

So, I added bluetooth to my 780 Hackintosh via a dongle. My primary reason for doing so was to get Airdrop working. However, apparently the system definition (10,1 - late 2009) doesn't support Airdrop. Is it safe to change the system definition to something more recent? 14,2 is what I use for my primary Hackintosh system... but I saw above that it caused USB problems? But so long as edit the USB_Injector kext plist prior to rebooting I should be okay? Or is Airdrop likely not to work on a 780 at all?

Or is Airdrop likely not to work on a 780 at all?

If I'm not mistaken, Airdrop is not supposed to work with USB BT dongle whatever the system definition you use. And if I'm not mistaken again, Airdrop has nothing to do with BT but with Airport support.

In other words, you must have native Airport WIFI for Airdrop to work.

If I'm not mistaken, Airdrop is not supposed to work with USB BT dongle whatever the system definition you use. And if I'm not mistaken again, Airdrop has nothing to do with BT but with Airport support.

In other words, you must have native Airport WIFI for Airdrop to work.

Actually, that's not the case. Airdrop works perfectly on my other Hackintosh (see specs in sig) using a Broadcom Bluetooth/WiFi card. So, it CAN be done... but I'm not sure it can be done on the Optiplex...

Well it just means that Airdrop works in WIFI. Not BT.

In fact, it works because the Broadcom Bluetooth/WiFi card you're using is seen as internal but when you use USB BT dongles they are seen as external. It's the same problem with USB WIFI dongles. They're seen as external so that's why they fails to connect to the Mac App Store using your Apple ID.

If you use the same Broadcom Bluetooth/WiFi card in your Optiplex, it will works fine. There's no reason at all it won't.

Airdrop also works with LAN (Terminal):
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

Airdrop has nothing to do with BT!

Thank you so much for this, MacPeet! That Terminal code DID activate Airdrop on the 780! As for the BT, that was based on something I'd read on Wikipedia saying that Airdrop uses both WiFi and Bluetooth. But, then, it was Wikipedia, wasn't it?

My only issue now is that, based on additional research, I have learned that late-2009 iMacs only supported macOS to macOS Airdrop. My goal was to Airdrop from iOS to the Optiplex. So, I go back to my original question: is it safe to change my system definition in Clover Configurator to 14,2? Will this break anything (e.g, sound using the combo AppleALC/Lilu kext)? And the only other thing I would need to do is use something like Plist Edit Pro to change all instances of 10,1 to 14,2 in the USB Injector kext? Anything else? Thanks!

That's right. Full handoff support works with WiFi and Bluetooth.

This requires a supported broadcom card with bluetooth 4.1.
With this configuration, Airdrop also works between Optiplex - iOS.

Switching to SMBIOS 14,2 can make problems and is not really necessary.

That's right. Full handoff support works with WiFi and Bluetooth.

This requires a supported broadcom card with bluetooth 4.1.
With this configuration, Airdrop also works between Optiplex - iOS.

Switching to SMBIOS 14,2 can make problems and is not really necessary.

Ok, thanks. Glad I asked... this Optiplex so far is a better Mac than half the Macs I've owned. I have the 780 SFF and the PCIe slot is taken up by the Radeon 5450. I don't think I can get a Broadcom card in my box... which is why I went the USB dongle route in the first place. :(

Yes, too few slots.

With USB dongle it does not work (Handoff and Airdrop to iDevices).
In Post # 1 see PCI WLAN card for PCI slot works well, but no handoff and airdrop to iDevices, unfortunately.

Guest ricoc90

Edit: I replaced the card with the HD6450 and it worked OOB. I'll just leave that one in for now.
---
Hi,

I have the Dell Optiplex 755 SFF with the following specs:
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2,83Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR2 (4x2GB)
GFX: XFX Radeon R5 230 2GB
HDD: 240GB SSD and 1TB SSHD

I am running Mac OS (from Yosemite up to Sierra 10.12.4) on my other computer for some time now (NEC POWERMATE VL280 SFF) and wanted to hackintosh my Dell Optiplex 755 SFF too.
Sierra 10.12.4 installs fine. The only *big* problem I am having is with my graphics. My system just hangs at DSMOS has arrived. I am able to boot when I either boot through safe mode, or when I remove the AMD kexts from /S/L/E/.

With my NEC, I used to have the Radeon HD6450 which worked OOB on the default AMD framebuffer (I had to patch the AMD6000Controller to enable all 3 ports using personality Ipomoea).
For what I believe, the R5 230 is the successor of the HD6450, both using the Caicos GPU. The device-id for the R5 230 (as well for the HD6450) is listed in AMD6000Controller.kext as well as in AMDRadeonX3000.kext per default.

I am using the SMBIOS for iMac10,1 and Enoch r2877 as my bootloader (I don't like Clover that much and until now Enoch never gave me any problems)

Is there a way to make this card work? I tried to boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (I believe it's injectAti in clover) with different personalities (hoping that I'd get a black screen -> then I could just patch the controller) but whatever I do, it just hangs at DSMOS has arrived.

Thanks in advance.