Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS Sierra (UPDATE 07/21/2017)

nvidia web driver updates macOS Sierra

• Please log in to reply
1001 replies to this topic

joe75

joe75

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,511 posts

Besides the fact that "WebDrivers" are specifically made only for authentic mac cards we can add in that OpenCL and Metal are both proprietary to Apple and that Nvidia has only been provided basic support at best. You might be of the opinion that everything is working correctly but the fact is it will never be supported until Apple actually uses the hardware.

frankiee

frankiee

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Those artifacts should be related to specific apps which not properly supported by sierra yet.

No, I am pretty sure it's the drivers. Again, by using the native OS X drivers (with a Kepler chip in my case) those artifacts do not show up, but using the NVIDIA drivers with the same card, they do.

Another thing I noticed  is that by using the web drivers, the GPU fan speed is always shown with "19RPM" in iStat Pro (and HWMonitor as well) - which of course is (gladly) not the truth. By using the native drivers I get the correct sensor readings. However with the Sierra drivers, things are somewhat improved, as the correct RPM is shown again, but then I get a second fan reading with a bogus RPM value.

So as Joe said, the web drivers are not 100% flawless, and this even applies to a chipset which is otherwise able to work with the native OS X drivers!

So, if you want to run Maxwell, you can do that. And surely my "new" Titan X runs circles around the "classic" Titan I had before, at least when it comes to windows performance. Plus, it runs cooler and much more silent, so I don't regret upgrading (at least so far). And be aware that there are basically no new Maxwell GPUs to buy anymore, so you have to get a used one.

But there is a price to pay, because from that point, you have to rely on the availability of the web driver "support", and you might run into some glitches that may or may not be critical, depending on your situation. For example if you want to use the iBook Author app you will have some serious problem, as it only shows a black editing area, at least for me ... Another thing is that you should get 30 bit support (with a matching monitor of course), but this also does not seem to work as it should (but that is maybe worth another thread)

And actually this is quite worrying imho for the whole hackintosh thing as well, as I guess that most of you run with NVIDIA cards. No current Mac model runs NVIDIA chips, and what will happen, when those machines that do - or can do like cMP - are rendered obsolete? We should be safe with Sierra, but what about 10.13 or 10.14?? So it may happen that at a certain point we are locked in ... not good. I mean, we already have to thank NVIDIA for their "unofficial" support, but I could understand if they say "screw you Apple". So lets hope they won't drop the ball on us.

Gurqn

Gurqn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

No, I am pretty sure it's the drivers. Again, by using the native OS X drivers (with a Kepler chip in my case) those artifacts do not show up, but using the NVIDIA drivers with the same card, they do.

Another thing I noticed  is that by using the web drivers, the GPU fan speed is always shown with "19RPM" in iStat Pro (and HWMonitor as well) - which of course is (gladly) not the truth. By using the native drivers I get the correct sensor readings. However with the Sierra drivers, things are somewhat improved, as the correct RPM is shown again, but then I get a second fan reading with a bogus RPM value.

So as Joe said, the web drivers are not 100% flawless, and this even applies to a chipset which is otherwise able to work with the native OS X drivers!

So, if you want to run Maxwell, you can do that. And surely my "new" Titan X runs circles around the "classic" Titan I had before, at least when it comes to windows performance. Plus, it runs cooler and much more silent, so I don't regret upgrading (at least so far). And be aware that there are basically no new Maxwell GPUs to buy anymore, so you have to get a used one.

But there is a price to pay, because from that point, you have to rely on the availability of the web driver "support", and you might run into some glitches that may or may not be critical, depending on your situation. For example if you want to use the iBook Author app you will have some serious problem, as it only shows a black editing area, at least for me ... Another thing is that you should get 30 bit support (with a matching monitor of course), but this also does not seem to work as it should (but that is maybe worth another thread)

And actually this is quite worrying imho for the whole hackintosh thing as well, as I guess that most of you run with NVIDIA cards. No current Mac model runs NVIDIA chips, and what will happen, when those machines that do - or can do like cMP - are rendered obsolete? We should be safe with Sierra, but what about 10.13 or 10.14?? So it may happen that at a certain point we are locked in ... not good. I mean, we already have to thank NVIDIA for their "unofficial" support, but I could understand if they say "screw you Apple". So lets hope they won't drop the ball on us.

Well you are %100 sure correct and fully agree with you. I just would like to thank Nvidia as well for "at least" running maxwell on sierra. After all it's not bad for running unofficially supported card on Hackintosh. Since a several years, it's was known that most of Apple product's used AMD cards. Further, i have purchased my card with taking into consideration that only being supported by webdrivers. So, there is no guarantee that it's gonna work in all upcoming OS versions. To me as conclusion, I don't see any logic point of complaining about something not working correctly. All of hackintoshers should clearly know that, they must cherry pick very specific version of very specific hardwares if they want to get guarantee that everything will properly work in each os upgrade, etc..

joe75

joe75

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,511 posts

Glad to see you come around to reality, frankiee   :console:

To be honest, 10.11 has almost the same performance and function as Kepler with Maxwell so I have been using 10.11.6 as my daily OS and most likely will be until they bring back nv graphics. Most likely any new drivers will provide support that will cover past Maxwell platform. We will have to cross our fingers that it doesn't introduce bugs like with past Fermi cards.

Gurqn

Gurqn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Waiting for AMD Vega. An immediate switch will be imminent if it's going to be used in upcoming Apple hardware. There won't be any Nvidia originated GPUs being used in Apple as long as there is conflict of interests such as Cuda vs OpenCL etc..

Update: Also some interesting stuff if you would like to read. Performance wise Nvidia might outperform but 85W TDP is really huge when you compare with 35W TDP

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/16/macbook-pro-why-amd-gpu/

frankiee

frankiee

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Glad to see you come around to reality, frankiee   :console:

Oh, I think I had a realistic view before. Think we just did not agree what exactly a "working driver" is. I mean, the driver does work, and there is some support. But you are right as well, as the driver does not work 100% and has some more or less serious glitches. The most annoying one for me is the iBook Author problem so far, as I actually have a job of creating one. Other things like the Adobe CC suite seem to work quite well, including GPU accelleration.

To be honest, 10.11 has almost the same performance and function as Kepler with Maxwell so I have been using 10.11.6 as my daily OS and most likely will be until they bring back nv graphics. Most likely any new drivers will provide support that will cover past Maxwell platform. We will have to cross our fingers that it doesn't introduce bugs like with past Fermi cards.

Yeah, I do hope that as well. We will see ...

Blaggah

Blaggah

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

I'm on my HP Z400 running El Capitan 10.11.6 with no drivers installed for HP Quadro 4000 2GB DDR5 card.  I'd like to upgrade to Sierra, does anyone know if web drivers will support the card?

frankiee

frankiee

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

I'm on my HP Z400 running El Capitan 10.11.6 with no drivers installed for HP Quadro 4000 2GB DDR5 card.  I'd like to upgrade to Sierra, does anyone know if web drivers will support the card?

Why don't you try it first by installing web drivers on 10.11? AFAIK all cards that work with 10.11 should work with 10.12 as well. And if can you run without web driver, do it. Web driver will not improve anything, only make things worse. Use web driver only with cards that requre it (i.e. Maxwell)

BTW: and think twice before upgrading to Sierra. Imho it's not worth it and at least for me El Capitan worked better. And also Apple continued their way of crippling their apps (this time: Console.app - just like they did with Disk Utility in El Cap, i.e. app is much less useful after the update)

Gurqn

Gurqn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Why don't you try it first by installing web drivers on 10.11? AFAIK all cards that work with 10.11 should work with 10.12 as well. And if can you run without web driver, do it. Web driver will not improve anything, only make things worse. Use web driver only with cards that requre it (i.e. Maxwell)

BTW: and think twice before upgrading to Sierra. Imho it's not worth it and at least for me El Capitan worked better. And also Apple continued their way of crippling their apps (this time: Console.app - just like they did with Disk Utility in El Cap, i.e. app is much less useful after the update)

Many upcoming games will require Sierra or later due to a significant update of metal API, so it depends on what you are doing especially while deciding the value of OS itself.

Lord Kamina

Lord Kamina

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Actually, while it's true that the frontend Console app is now pretty horrible, you can still find pretty much any info you want (and I'd say have even more control over it) by using the "log" command, once you understand how to use it properly.

frankiee

frankiee

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Many upcoming games will require Sierra or later due to a significant update of metal API, so it depends on what you are doing especially while deciding the value of OS itself.

Yeah, of course YMMV, but gaming on macOS? Horrible imho. Much better to use dual boot.

Actually, while it's true that the frontend Console app is now pretty horrible, you can still find pretty much any info you want (and I'd say have even more control over it) by using the "log" command, once you understand how to use it properly.

I know, but it is much more cumbersome to do that this way. I really don't get why they did not retain this functionality. Frankly, I am more and more concerned where macOS is heading to in general. The lack of quality control, and their efforts to dumb down everything until it is not usable anymore makes me really worry.

phi777

phi777

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 60 posts

So, I've just sold my GTX 1070 - with my luck I think there will be drivers for macOS soon :hysterical:

Mario1964

Mario1964

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

A version for the new sierra 10.12.3 will be relase soon ?

polyzargone

polyzargone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

A version for the new sierra 10.12.3 will be relase soon ?

Hopefully yes.

In the meantime, you can edit NVDAStartupWeb.kext > NVDARequiredOS to match 16D32 build number (or just 16D). It works fine !

Mario1964

Mario1964

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hopefully yes.

In the meantime, you can edit NVDAStartupWeb.kext > NVDARequiredOS to match 16D32 build number (or just 16D). It works fine !

oh thx ;)

Mario1964

Mario1964

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hopefully yes.

i try to edit the plist with txt editor but it doesn't work , i need an plist editor ?

magnifico

magnifico

The Special One

• Donators
  • 3,504 posts

Fantomas how are you?

About 10.12.3 web driver , there are?

nmano

nmano

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 748 posts

Its worked.

NVDAStartupWeb.kext

16C67 to 16D32

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 4,534 posts

Fantomas how are you?

About 10.12.3 web driver , there are?

Very soon, very soon!  :yes:

shatterhenner

shatterhenner

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nvidia web driver, updates, macOS, Sierra

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy