nothing interesting here

Vitaliy

209 posts in this topic

The 10.4.8 kernel will allow newer ATi kexts and nVidia kexts to run. Since most of us have a 10.4.4 kernel, there was only so far it could go before problems occurred. I won't guarantee that everything will magically work perfectly, but it'll run a lot smoother than it did.

Every time Apple released a new build that had performance enhancements, hackintosh users never experienced much of a difference because of our old kernel. Speed will be the most noticeable difference.

it requires hpet, there's hpet initialization in kernel code and at least it won't work without hpet (I mean I don't know if hpet is extensively used in other places)

'do not execute'.. hm.. don't know if it's used somewhere..

it seems that intel 945+ -based boards are quite popular among hackintosh users and I'm not going to make it work on older hardware at least because I don't have any other mobo to try on

Ok , I am using a D865GBF motherboard , and have been since the begining.Sorry to hear the new kernel dev's wont be trying to support older hardware.I know there are quite a lot of hackintosh users that are not running those boards ,amd and older intel and sse2 users also.

Basically your going to make the kernel work on only hardware that is in intel macs?

So users will be left to use intel mac clones ?

Keep up the good work.

Ok , I am using a D865GBF motherboard , and have been since the begining.Sorry to hear the new kernel dev's wont be trying to support older hardware.I know there are quite a lot of hackintosh users that are not running those boards ,amd and older intel and sse2 users also.

Basically your going to make the kernel work on only hardware that is in intel macs?

So users will be left to use intel mac clones ?

Keep up the good work.

...he doesn't own any other motherboards.

so you propose that he purchases one just to benefit the community?

it is funny to see one "developer" bash another. sad really.

I don't think he's bashing, he's just pointing out that they are screwing the rest of the people :)

I don't think you know what your talking about.I didn't bash him.I said to keep up his good work and asked a few questions,also maxxuss sent out kernels for testing on all types of hardware.The same can be done now.

Lets keep this thread on topic and not try and start a flame war.

something to note is looking at the users posts , they are building a 965 chip'ed system.

...also maxxuss sent out kernels for testing on all types of hardware.The same can be done now.

Lets keep this thread on topic...

Eventually, I can see a group of people teamed up to support multiple platforms, sharing code and knowledge. Any person who wants to support a new platform, volunteering.

Don't knock him he does tons for this community

Well the fact is, at the moment this is barely a kernel, mifki edited only 3 or 4 files, so basicallly he did just enought to get it to boot. The thing most peopl eseem to misunderstand is that making a kernel from source, open source at that is much easier than actually editing a binary to make it boot, so while it may be easier to get a kernel which gets past the boot phase it is actually still much harder to get it actually working

.also I think (sorry!) that we don't need to support for example SSE2 at all in new kernel.. even if we'll get working kernel, there's problems with rosetta, idvd, new iTunes - this means more and more patching and problems..

acquiesce

ok, it's normal that people don't like that my kernel won't run on any hardware, I understand this.. but I have several reasons for this:

.first of all I really don't have any other boards so there's no way for me to develop/test version for older hardware

.it's normal that I'm not removing for example HPET from kernel right now.. I need to get it booting/working with as few changes as possible, later somebody can take _booting_ kernel and try to remove HPET and he will know that everything else works because it booted before removing HPET. as I know semthex decided to make it compatible with many boards and he still don't have at least somehow booting kernel, so maybe this isn't right approach

.also I think (sorry!) that we don't need to support for example SSE2 at all in new kernel.. even if we'll get working kernel, there's problems with rosetta, idvd, new iTunes - this means more and more patching and problems..

very well analyzed and summarized, Vitaliy, I 100% agree with you - correct course!

Vitaliy, I think this is part of the learning curve, you get it first to run on a PC as close to Apple as possible, then you can tweak later...

Btw, I bought a graphics card just to accomodate for qe/ci which is supported by Apple, and made to work with some patches from the dudes in the Forum... :)

So far as we can build a working O/S that will run on a cheaper PC than Apple, that will be great, and will force prices down which is a good thing...

the point people are missing is that Vitaliy/mifki has released the source of his modified kernel, and (i assume) will continue to do so. if he gets it working (booting to gui) on his hardware, then there' s NO REASON other people cant pick up his source and work on it to, for example, remove HPET, or patch for SSE2 or whatever. just because he's willing to work on this doesnt mean he is obliged to provide a working kernel for every damn hw configuration out there.

the fact he has proven he is willing to share his source speaks volumes - he's done more than anyone else in this regard.

we are still very early in the process - certainly booting to single user is a great achievement, and it sounds like he is having some success with the new Rosetta as well, but we're still a long way off booting to GUI.

baby steps, people!