[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(surfaceosx)

I got 960x540(hidpi) ~ 1920x1080(hidpi) in current resolutions in switchresx, but when I save 2732x1536 custom resolutions and reboot, the status is "not installed", so I am using 1280x720(hidpi) now.

Is there any suggestion?

thanks.

@bluebug

use switchresx prefpanel and select current resolution, i haven't found a way yet to select the resolution via apple's display pref panel.

@akzidenz

thanks for clearing out the situation ;)

@swyner

Cannot explain this fast battery drain.

BTW

if surfing include flash (games or videostreaming)

that surely suck a lot of battery life.

@ Jahstories

You have an idea if there is a way to use the virtual keyboard at the login screen ? That's the only place where I can't use the virtual keyboard.

I use now the standard virtual keyboard in OSX, but when I need to type my password, I have to connect the Surface Keyboard.

Maybe corallosoft virtual keyboard does have this future ?

@everyone

Please stop asking for drivers.

If any device is compatible with Macos 10.9

will be automatically compatible with the surface pro with the same os with the provided drivers.

if no driver is provided, there are plenty of post on how to check device propierties and install right drivers,

USE SEARCH.

btw

quickguide

• Click the apple logo 
  • Click information about this mac
  • Click more information
  • select usb
  • OSX-System_Profiler-Printer_USB-S.png
  • ex. we want to install drivers for this printer 
  • lets write down deviceid and vendorid
  • 0x0019 Device id (it identify the device)
  • 0x106b Vendor id (it identify the vendor)
  • search the web something like: osx drivers printer 0x0019 0x106b
  • GoodLuck!

so please stop asking for drivers.

@Motawa

have you checked the

?

p.s. 

the surface pro got a really good battery, run times depends on what you do with the system.

@swyner

v0.2 files includes a new ssdt that enables native speedstep, this is why it got better power managment

(i remember that even with Windows8.1 the surface become easily hot.)

@Danhark

• you'll have to wait for the final driver release by touchbase to calibrate the pen
  • to remove or reinstall windows you just have to be carefull and not format the mac partition, then if you don't want windows you could use disk utility to merge the partitions

@jbzulc

reinstall latest VoodooHDA, and please use fullstops and make a couple of new lines i had a bad time trying to read yours post. XD

Does the touch react as good as on iPad or is it laggy?

Hi!

Thanks for this great tutorial!

I followed it and got Maverics installed on my Surface Pro 2. The only issue I have is that I cannot get wifi or bluetooth, but waiting for the dongles... Another issue is the pen don't work well...

But I got Clover installed on my hard drive, and wanted to share how I did it.

1) Boot your hard drive installed OS X with your installation pendrive (where clover is), but press space and then select "Boot Mac OS X without caches and with injected kexts"

2) If you don't have it installed, google Clover Configurator, download and install it.

3) Eject your pendrive.

3) Open Clover Configurator, go to menu Extras -> Mount EFI. You will be asked to enter your admin password.

4) You probably will receive a message "Unexpected disk identifier: disk0s2" or something, but just hit "Continue"

5) Open finder and press Command or (Windows) key + Shift + G, then enter /Volumes/EFI

6) Goto "/EFI/Microsoft/Boot" and rename "bootmgfw.efi" to "bootmgfw-orig.efi"

7) From the extra files that you downloaded, copy cloverx64.efi to the same folder "/EFI/Microsoft/Boot" and rename it to "bootmgfw.efi"

8) Now copy the whole CLOVER folder (where ACPI, direvers64UEFI, etc, are...), to the EFI folder (where Microsoft folder is...)

9) Reboot without your pendrive, and now you should have a working multiboot including windows (wich should be the first one..) 

Hope this helps... 

Note: This is technical stuff that can damage your paritions, or boot system, be aware that I am not responsible for any damage you can do with this, I can only assure this worked for me. 
  • Like 2

(surfacepro2osx)

Nice guide for the serial code, worked well but still couldn't get it authorized. Do we need to use 6,2 Macbook Pro or Air? Originally mine was Pro I believe, so don't know if it matters or not. Ill try a few more later I suppose. Got practice then need to get to the store before we get pounded by the incoming Snowstorm here in IN. Again, thanks for all the help everyone.

Does the touch base driver work when installing Mac OS X with VMware on the surface?

Emulated OS X in a great desktop PC is really a bad option, in a poor hardware like surface I can't imagine...

6.2 air or pro for Apple store access?

probably the touch driver will work since the panel is usb...

btw

as Dahnark told you virtualization is not a good solution...

No video accelleration no qe-ci...

many apps don't work without it.

@Fishmetalx

Thanks for the tips ;)

btw

the macspike guide got those steps are already in the guide 

I see! Well I hope mine is more detailed at least haha :)

I have activated OS X "Ink" and it looks like the Pen including presure works without extra drivers, but the problem is that the cursor is not calibrated properly; any idea on how to calibrate this? 

(surface2osx) (4200u)     I have the Edimax EW-7811Un wifi dongle and I can't seem to get it to work. I ran the driver DMG and it installed a wifi utility and when I open it I see my network but then after I click on it or after a few seconds of app being open it just gives spinning  ball. i left it overnight once and it was exact same  just locks up.

I got ethernet working using this ethernet adapter but you need to install drivers for it to recognize it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBD7NFU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(surface2osx) (4200u)

Greetings everyone, would like to thank everyone supporting and helping this promising project.

I want to ask some questions, appreciating any help.

Can mavericks run on surface through an sd card, leaving the usb port free for something else?

(surface2osx) (4200u)

Greetings everyone, would like to thank everyone supporting and helping this promising project.

I want to ask some questions, appreciating any help.

Can mavericks run on surface through an sd card, leaving the usb port free for something else?

It can, but it wouldn't run very fast at all unless you have a very nice micro sd. 

Get a USB-hub. I have a 7 slot powered hub, works great. 

(Surfacepro2osx)

Anybody gotten the App Store to work with a generated serial? I continue to get "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

@JahStories

The modified date on the last ssdt file in the v0.2 is Nov 2013.  However the dsdt is Jan 23rd.  Just making sure I have the most updated ssdt file.

Second, I booted into Mac OS normally and I had the iMessage problem again (shows me inactive and doesn't allow me to change status, yet I am logged in).  So I rebooted but without caches and injected texts.  All booted into iMessage perfectly.  So wondering if this makes sense?

Hi!!!

I had no luck with the HiDPI on my Surface 2 Pro, November 2013, (512GB Version).

I did this: 

On the terminal:  sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES;

Then downloaded switchresx

On the tab on the botton "Unknown Monitor" went to "Custom Resolution" and added a new "Scaled Resolution" of "2732x1536"

Restarted, but didn't get any HiDPI resolution listed on SwitchResX or Displays on System Preferences. 

Any advice?

(surfaceosx)

Hi everybody!

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with getting the installation going. After booting from my USB drive and entering "-x -v" as boot args in clover, I get stuck immediately with the following error:

mssurface_osxinstallerror01.jpg

Anyone have an idea what is going wrong here? Any tips or pointers would be most appreciated! Thanks!!  :)

(surface2osx) (4200u)

So I got wifi working. Just removed all settings in network preferences and re installed driver after rebooting and re plugging in my ethernet usb.  I don't understand the appstore serial issue. I can get serials valid on apples site but where do I put the serial does it go on the pen drive somewhere on efi partition?

poor hardware? you tripping?

I7 3770k 4.5 Ghz with 670, 16 ram 2133, is no top (mid-high maybe) hardware and it is over than surface pro 2 (over over over and reover) and os x in vm ware or VirtualBox have a lot of lag in the first, in the surface... Boom

Surface just have a low i5 with a poor graphics (intel graphics cards... For a kind of device como surface, okay but it is not good graphics of you want do some video editing or playing games).

Just check hardware of top laptop or mid laptop and check the surface hardware. It is poor.

the surface pro is a powerhorse of a tablet

so you don't have to compare it to an actual notebook.

p.s. 

hd4000 is good for gaming at low resolutions

and video editing is not a gpu specific task but a cpu+ram task.

@uhoh

are you sure you are using the right filespackage?

that error seems related to a wrong kernel, maybe you mixed sf1 and sf2 filespack.

@swyner

i shared the ssdt lately, it's the right one.

(surfaceosx)

@JahStories

Yep, pretty sure I've downloaded the correct file package. But... I just re-downloaded it from the link provided in the first post to be sure, and there is no kernel file in that archive, see screenshot of its contents below:

mssurface_osxinstallfilepackage.jpg

Also, in your guide you say "follow the vanilla installation guide up to the creation of bootable USB drive", and in the vanilla guide it says to extract the kernel file from Apple's Mavericks installer package ("BaseSystemBinaries.pkg")  :) 

Do you by chance know where I might find the correct kernel file?

Thanks!