Anyone managed to get their Maxwell (GTX 750 TI here) graphics card working properly with 10.11.3 and latest Nvidia web drivers for 10.11.3? This "impulse buy I can replace my two radeon 7750s its an Nvidia card and reports show it is working should be straight forward" is itching my synapses (gnnnnh)...
On the plus side, my system is up to date now (always look on the briiiiight sii..) ! Here's a condensed version of the steps I did...
- Updated to latest BIOS H2C.167X-MASS seems to be working fine (thanks devs - 1479 just did not work for me, and glad to see I can use Oz UI with the keyboard now (it's the little things you know ..)) . Btw, could someone update the wiki (AND MAKE THE WIKI A STICKY ON PAGE 1 please)?
- Using iGPU, updated Mavericks to El Capitan so I could install the Nvidia drivers if necessary, no problems there (albeit VoodooHDA doesn't recognise my home cinema amp via HDMI - disabled with NVRAM command as per Readme (hey some of us do read it ))
- After getting stuck in a boot loop with the new card installed (system can't find drivers - ok fair enough), disabling ATi injection, Nvidia injection and other various permutations booted with iGPU (intel HD4000) installed latest Nvidia web drivers. That should do it right? Nope.
- Clean slate with Nvram reset -> boots ok with GTX 750 ti, however it's the OS X driver that is loaded, no graphics acceleration (sluggish retracing, colours washed out etc)
- nvram boot arg nvda_dvr=1 to load nvidia drivers at boot -> aha progress. It boots! but into a black screen (no kp, can reboot with keyboard shortcut)
- safe boot, clear boot args... reboot. google
- more google... reports on tonymacxx86 point this issue to a problem with AppleGraphicsdevicePolicy.kext and later Mac model numbers (Mac Pro 3,1/board ID F42C88C8 here, so not an issue). Dig into the plist anyway just to check (the policy calls none/config1/config2 depending on the board ID - we want none here)... all OK
- I've tried switching some of the GPU settings in the BIOS to no avail - same result. it's a UEFI GFX card, GPU settings are set to UEFI first
- My head hurts... guess it's time to ask for some help!
Oh yeah... before you ask, card works in win10 fine btw, so that's some(major)thing to rule out at least!
Any ideas/pointers/matrix style crash course in apple architecture guys?