OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Quo Computers are just so expensive for what they are... If you want to Hackintosh just have patience and learn your stuff.. Dont buy from manufacturers that do the job for you and for a crazy price

This forum help the community of board users. Your views on it are irrelevant. Go and harass QUO Computers if you'd like but don't waste our time.

• Like 2

This forum help the community of board users. Your views on it are irrelevant. Go and harass QUO Computers if you'd like but don't waste our time.

Its entirely up to the consumers to decide but man, for those prices I rather buy genuine apple hardware. Flame me all you want , its just a humble oppinion

Its entirely up to the consumers to decide but man, for those prices I rather buy genuine apple hardware. Flame me all you want , its just a humble oppinion

Sure and then when your hard drive or CPU or graphics card fails or needs to be replaced or upgraded you have no recourse but to buy a completely new machine. You're entitled to your opinion and can do whatever you want but nobody cares about your personal feelings on our hardware or how we spent our money. It's been running great for like 4 years and was more than worth it. Save it for a "what should I buy for my build" thread. I'll personally be ready to upgrade everything once open core is released. That thread will probably warrant hardware opinions.

. Flame me all you want , its just a humble opinion

I have no problem with your opinion, it is your own for your own reasons. I just have a problem on where you decided to express it.

MODS : can you please do the required so we can get back on track. Thanks.

MD5 differs from my other 167X-MASS sierra fixed BIOS that I downloaded from elviejo's post. Either I had a corrupted download/USB or I mixed it up with the old vanilla version (I can't see how, but It's possible).

This one works perfectly, thank you IronMan!

Good to ear that it fixed it for you. 

MD5 will surely differ from ElvieJo's BIOS. ElvieJo has put a Defaults.plist into his BIOS customized for his configuration with a SysDef of MacMini 6,2. I don't know if there is anything else that he did to the BIOS image.

Me, I like to work differently ( i am not passing judgment on ElvieJo's method, just stating my preferences). I like to 'work within the system' and has long as I can get the job done with what the system provides I usually go along. It makes things more predictable for me and for people that support me because they also know what to expect..  

So I am using a vanilla BIOS image + all customization in /EFI (Defaults.plist, SSDT to enable Ivy Bridge power management). So far that has worked pretty well for me.

Scott : You might wanna give it another try with the BIOS image I posted and the Defaults.plist I originally created for you

Toastie : The Defaults.plist I had created for Scott should work for you too...

MD5 will surely differ from ElvieJo's BIOS. ElvieJo has put a Defaults.plist into his BIOS customized for his configuration with a SysDef of MacMini 6,2. I don't know if there is anything else that he did to the BIOS image.

Me, I like to work differently ( i am not passing judgment on ElvieJo's method, just stating my preferences). I like to 'work within the system' and has long as I can get the job done with what the system provides I usually go along. It makes things more predictable for me and for people that support me because they also know what to expect..  

So I am using a vanilla BIOS image + all customization in /EFI (Defaults.plist, SSDT to enable Ivy Bridge power management). So far that has worked pretty well for me.

Scott : You might wanna give it another try with the BIOS image I posted and the Defaults.plist I originally created for you

Hey, guys, thanks a bunch.  I have successfully updated to Sierra.  Didn't even need to update my Defaults.plist.  Although something odd happened.  On first boot, the color palette of my display was all messed up.  The Nvidia control panel said I was using the native OS X driver.  Switching to the Nvidia driver resolved the issue.  Also, sound was disabled (no device found) on first boot, but a reboot cleared that up.

@IronManJFF - you mentioned an SSDT to enable Ivy Bridge power management.  What's the side effect of not having that?  I assume the processor doesn't use all the power saving states it should.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but I have not seen it brought up recently on this thread.  What's the best way to access the EFI partition to copy in a different defaults.plist?  Is this something that has to be done through the EFI command line before the QUO hackintosh is booted up, or can it be accessed while the OS is in use?  And while I'm asking stupid questions, I know the "normal" Oz configuration emulates a Mac Pro 3,1 and in order to get Sierra working it appears a work around of emulating an iMac is being used.  Why not a Mac Pro 5,1?

Diskutil mount EFI

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Doesn't it need to be diskutil mount /dev/diskxs1? You know where the x is your disk number found in diskutil list?

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but I have not seen it brought up recently on this thread.  What's the best way to access the EFI partition to copy in a different defaults.plist?  Is this something that has to be done through the EFI command line before the QUO hackintosh is booted up, or can it be accessed while the OS is in use?  And while I'm asking stupid questions, I know the "normal" Oz configuration emulates a Mac Pro 3,1 and in order to get Sierra working it appears a work around of emulating an iMac is being used.  Why not a Mac Pro 5,1?

It can be done in terminal. As far as MacPro5,1, I think you can do it but you have to remove a particular kext or it won't boot. IMac 14,2 is what I use for simplicity's sake.

Well I think my computer just died. Might just be the power supply. Starts to turn on, fans start spinning, then it shuts off. Once I got a boot configuration error message so I set it to optimized settings but still nothing. Pulled the 690 and I'm trying to boot off the igpu but I'me getting a black screen, but it hasn't shut off so maybe the 690 died. It still lit up on the side before I pulled it. Any thoughts? I've been waiting for OpenCore and the 1080ti before I started a new build, but might have to just do it and use Windows 10 for awhile.

Just got into bios and it seems really sluggish. Set it to igpu first but still just a black screen. Maybe it's the board itself.

I have two of these motherboards and they have been running great, lately one of them have had some problems though.

I have 3770k cpu 32 gig memory a DVD drive and a gtx 960 graphics card in it, I also have a thunderbolt monitor card hooked up to it. I use it mostly for editing video and surfing on the internet so I use the onboard graphics for the OS and programs and the graphics card for Davinci Resolve. This worked great untill it froze while surfing the internet a few months back. After a whole lot of troubles I managed to revert to the backup bios and get it up running again.

I had the motherboard set up in a much to small box so after a couple of months I decided to get a bigger one and after Im done moving over the parts ever so careful like always to the new box it wont boot up and there is no way I can redo the trick with the back up bios it just wont work. So Im wondering if there is a way to find out what that chip is and replace it? My two chips are partly covered with stains of paint on top of the text so I cannot se what it says and I guess its the same on all of these mobos. Or is it just a standard chip Gigabyte used for mobos made round that time, anybody know?

Fist time it actually booted to some shell screen (yellow text) but I did not know what to type so I never tried Im afaraid so Im am not sure I actually could type anything there. I then pulled the gtx 960card thinking I should set up bios again to boot from the right drive ( I have three HDDs for video in it). But this time i get nothing and it doesnt mater if I put back the 960 card its the same.

I believe I tried everything to make it run again so this is just a loooong shot, maybe its broken in some other way.

I had only one memory stick in and tried different sticks I know work, I replaced the cpu with a working cpu, I pulled out the graphics card. So only one memory stick, the cpu and psu and monitor where hooked up to it but I get no beep codes just a black monitor and the cpu fan running but nothing more. I also tried with a different psu I know work.

Any tip is welcome

Thanks

its possible the first bios is corrupted and the 2nd bios is not catching it aka rewriting the first bios.this is a known issue on some ga boards.clear the cmos and see if the issue resolves itself.

Thanks for the reply. I already did that multiple times and removed the battery and tried with another battery and I tried with a new psu too.  And I read on the wiki how to make the back up bios kick in but nothing works I am afraid so thats why I started to think its the bios chips that broke for some reason. I mean it already acted really strange one time before and I managed to fix it by making it kick in the back up bios.

Now I have it totally stripped down with no components at all on it I even took out the cpu and Im gonna let it sit over night like that and try one more time tomorrow. If that doesnt work I read that there was a similar Gigabyte x77mx board with thunderbolt and that you can run that mobo with a modified aos bios so if the chips are the same standard part maybe you can replace the aos chip with a ga chip replacement for that mobo and flash it over to the aos bios if the computer boots up at all lol. Cheaper than replacing the computer and on youtube you have a few videos about it.

in future give more consideration to asrock/msi they allow flashing of older bios unlike asus/ga lowers risk of rma

Thanks for the tip I will think about it gonna need a new computer if this wont boot up again

Remove cpu and memory sticks and carefully clean the seats for them, install the memory sticks and the cpu back and them reset the cmos as follow.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.

2. Press and hold the case Power On switch, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.

3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)

4. The board will shut down.

5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.

6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. I already did all that in fact I believe I have done all you can do but I will do it one more time. The mobo has been sitting with nothing on/in it over night so hope fully that changed something so we will see what happens. I checked for burned caps or other visuable damages to the board with a big magnifier glass with a built in lamp but all looks top notch and like it was new.

I broadcasted live while trying to shake life in the motherboard one more time. I had to run between other stuff so much during the livestream though so I had to download it and edit it to shorten it or it would have been crazy boooooring to watch (now its only booring lol). It is no serious real video I did it just for fun and to salute the AOS motherboard on its last jorney lol.

Though I already pretty much knew it was broken I did not care to be supercarefull like not smoke over it and make sure I discharge myself so theres no static electricity etc etc. The broadcast was made with my other QUO AOS motherboard/computer which is still working supergood and a thunderbolt capture card, a Panasonic G7, CamtWist and Flasn Media Live Encoder. I can not run OBS on it cause it runs on a to old os x version and I wont upgrade it just yet. 

• Like 1