OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

So I tried to use the Defaults.plist that STLVNUB created for my build and I did a NVRAM reset has suggested. But it doesn't seem to do the trick. My specs are still saying that it's a macpro late 2008...

Any suggestions as to how I could change my specs to be able to do the Sierra upgrade? Or if there is another way to install my GTX1080 staying with El Capitan I'll take that too, I like that build it's very stable and everything works ;)

Thanks!

You will need to upgrade to Sierra with the 1080. I have the 1080 TI and using Sierra.  Follow what IronManJFF has posted below. He's saved my ass time after time...

So I tried to use the Defaults.plist that STLVNUB created for my build and I did a NVRAM reset has suggested. But it doesn't seem to do the trick. My specs are still saying that it's a macpro late 2008...

Any suggestions as to how I could change my specs to be able to do the Sierra upgrade? Or if there is another way to install my GTX1080 staying with El Capitan I'll take that too, I like that build it's very stable and everything works ;)

Thanks!

The Pascal (GTX 1000 series) drivers are only available for Sierra.

ROM : Grab this one from my own Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t73yeaqu9wooqg4/Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS-SIERRA.ROM.zip?dl=0

Defaults.plist :

This should work for your build  ... all you need to do is insert serial number for iMac 13,2.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Version</key>
<string>1.0.1</string>
<key>Date</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
<dict>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459</string>
<key>ProductId</key>
<string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>
<key>ProductFamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>iMac13,2</string>
<key>SystemSerial</key>
<string>YOUR_SERIAL_GOES_HERE</string>
<key>BaseBoardSerial</key>
<string>YOUR_SERIAL+5_DIGITS_GOES_HERE</string>
</dict>
<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
<dict>
<key>boot-args</key>
<string>-v nvda_drv=1</string>
<key>csr-active-config</key>
<integer>103</integer>
</dict>
<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>
<dict>
<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>
<string>$label</string>
<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>
<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>
<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Notes:

1) -v in <key>boot-args</key> is to boot in verbose mode, it helps in debugging, you can omit it. It is a matter of preference

2) nvda_drv=1 in <key>boot-args</key> is to enable Nvidia Web Drivers

3) <key>csr-active-config</key><integer>103</integer> = disable SIP

4) You need to generate a iMac13,2 serial number and put in plist (you can use CloverConfigurator or ChampList to generate the serial)

5) YOU MUST RESET NVRAM FOR CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT.

• Like 1

Do you want on-board audio or HDMI/DP audio ?

You do not need Clover. GTX 970 runs pretty well here ...

What Nvidia issue ?

Got it, so skip Clover. I might be over-dramatic but I'm referring to the plug and play. So much easier back in the day with an ATI card ha.

Just add nvda_drv=1 in Deafaults and reset NVRAM.

I know Jeff said I didn't need clover so Im a bit stuck. So far I have disabled SIP (not sure if i really needed to but i can reengage after if need be). Might sound ignorant but what would be the best approach? I'm assuming it's a Plist located somewhere in my system files? Can I use Plisteditor? Would I be able to do this via terminal? I'm literally at the last step and the graphic card part always hangs me up LOL. (I just don't want to F this up, trying to get it all smoothen out). If possible to get detailed steps, would be greatly appreciated! :_D

Thank you both in advanced.

Update: When I install all the drivers and switch it to Nvidia, I get a black screen when I reboot. I Clear NVRAm and it reverts back to the OSX Driver. Just wanted to give you guys as much information as possible.

Got it, so skip Clover. I might be over-dramatic but I'm referring to the plug and play. So much easier back in the day with an ATI card ha.

I know Jeff said I didn't need clover so Im a bit stuck. So far I have disabled SIP (not sure if i really needed to but i can reengage after if need be). Might sound ignorant but what would be the best approach? I'm assuming it's a Plist located somewhere in my system files? Can I use Plisteditor? Would I be able to do this via terminal? I'm literally at the last step and the graphic card part always hangs me up LOL. (I just don't want to F this up, trying to get it all smoothen out). If possible to get detailed steps, would be greatly appreciated! :_D

Thank you both in advanced.

Update: When I install all the drivers and switch it to Nvidia, I get a black screen when I reboot. I Clear NVRAm and it reverts back to the OSX Driver. Just wanted to give you guys as much information as possible.

Post #3299 has everything you need, the ROM and Defaults.plist. That will work for you too.

Post #3299 has everything you need, the ROM and Defaults.plist. That will work for you too.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks. I have tried uploading the bios and when it boots I get the circle with the x in the middle. I tried resetting NVRAM and nothing. Plugged in a USB drive into the actual board and now wont recognize it as I just tried to reinstall OSX with that Bios (thought it would have worked). 

My computer did work with Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.MacMini.ROM.

Not sure what to do now. Maybe a custom Plist if I just do bios recover and go back to Sierra Rom^? Kinda stuck FML. 

I would be forever grateful :-p #SoCloseYetSoFarAway

Thank you!

• Like 1

You did generate values for serial number ?

Where did you put the Defaults.plist file ?

You are probaly getting the X because your Defaults.plist is not being recognized or found.. so the system thinks you are still on a Mac Pro which is not allowed to run Sierra

Hey Jeff,

Thanks. I have tried uploading the bios and when it boots I get the circle with the x in the middle. I tried resetting NVRAM and nothing. Plugged in a USB drive into the actual board and now wont recognize it as I just tried to reinstall OSX with that Bios (thought it would have worked). 

My computer did work with Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.MacMini.ROM.

Not sure what to do now. Maybe a custom Plist if I just do bios recover and go back to Sierra Rom^? Kinda stuck FML. 

Thank you!

eaym3tal: It is just like IronManJFF stated: "You are probaly getting the X because your Defaults.plist is not being recognized or found.. so the system thinks you are still on a Mac Pro which is not allowed to run Sierra"

I had the same exact problem you did.  Here is what I did after struggling for hours:
--You need to flash back to the MacMini.ROM that works.  
--From there you have to boot into OS X (I had to reinstall El Capitan from DVD).  
--Then follow the instructions PERFECTLY about loading the Defaults.plist file into Efi/Oz.  
          --Use Chameleon Wizard to generate a fake serial number for Imac 13,2
          --Use TextEdit to make a file called 'Defaults.plist' using the code given by IronManJFF in post #3137 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285920-new-os-x-compatible-motherboard-quo/?p=2352341)
                    --Copy the serial number from Chameleon Wizard in 2 places within the Defaults.plist file; 2nd place with additional random 5 numbers.
                    --Make sure you save this Defaults.plist file as a TEXT file with this exact name and extension.
          --Mount the Efi partition using TERMINAL and 'diskutil mount efi'.  An Efi disk will then show up on your desktop
          --Place the Defaults.plist file in the Oz folder (within Efi)
--Restart
--F12 to enter boot selection and reset NVRAM (Command-Option-P-R).
--Flash the XMASS.SIERRA bios from IronManJFF's dropbox account (see post 3168 or https://www.dropbox.com/s/t73yeaqu9wooqg4/Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS-SIERRA.ROM.zip?dl=0)
--You are good to go to install Sierra.
I think the XMASS.SIERRA.MacMini bios changes it to a MacMini product name, but something is carried over (or missing) even after flashing to another bios (which typically don't affect product name).  Getting a working Defaults.plist gets around this issue completely.
Thanks to IronManJFF for all his hard work!!!  He has taken the role of Grandmaster Yoda for this thread!
--johnny
  • Like 1

Hey Jeff,

My computer did work with Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.MacMini.ROM.

Thank you!

(back from camping) Are you still stuck ?

rx cards do work but you must bin patch the x4100 kext and put it in the macos folder and edit the info.plist in ether fakesmc or applealc kext. my rx480 worked via this method same for pavo

Can you please share the details or mini guide what to do? I have rx 460, and if i understood you right, then i have right device ID in amd 4100 kext http://imgur.com/a/HCpQM

In Oz config framebuffer is Acre, but card wont work.  

Check post #3295

Thank you, you are the real Iron Man) 

Hi guys, did someone manage to use new mac os on QUO or Oz?

I’m sure somebody’s working on it. I think Oz development is pretty much dead. The devs are (hopefully still) working on Open Core last I’d heard. Unless somebody around here patches Oz like what happened with Sierra.
  • Like 1

The Ozmosis forum is on fire about this .. the main challenge will probably be to get OZ to recognize an APFS volume as being bootable. The good news, people are working on finding a solution.

Note : I am not a member of Apple Dev Program, so i have to wait until public beta to get my hands on it to try it for myself.

• Like 1

Was able to install (with Pacifist ) without Clover but still no APFS. I think I have a solution but it needs testing first.

We are almost there. Kudos to all the people involved in patching, testing and brainstorming (see Oz thread )

• Like 1