OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Well, I just tried the Z77MXQUOAOS.H3C.1479.ROM from the wiki with sierra and got the circle with a line through it at boot...  :(

Don't suppose someone can PM me with a ROM that works for them in Sierra and that has TB active?

I only ever ran this mobo with F2N for Windows booting for that last few years and so am playing catchup with the knowledge/experience of this mobo.

Hi IronManJFF,

Thanks for providing the ROM, unfortunately I get the same result as the "ancient ROM" (circle with diagonal line through it)...

After flashing, I set the Firmware to Optimised Defaults, and then bumped the RAM back up to 1600MHz.

I've read through this forum and am I correct that some of these BIOS files initially write to the EFI partition upon first boot?

If this is the case, do I also need to mount this EFI partition on another machine and clean out the partition before attempting to boot up?

Anyone using ATI RX4x0 cards with this board under Sierra?  I've been using an nVidia 650Ti for a couple years and it is starting to show its age.  Given that nVidia has official drivers for the 10x0 series of cards it would seem that going that way has fewer speedbumps, but I wanted to know if anyone has experience with recent ATI cards.

The prohibition sign indicates that you are trying to load unsigned kexts ...

Boot with F12 and choose your RecoveryHD to boot from.

Once booted (it should boot) get in Terminal and

csrutil disable
shutdown -r NOW

Hi IronMan,

Booting into Recovery Boot is the same outcome, (circle with diagonal line)

Using the same macOS (10.12.4) installed SSD, I'm successfully able to boot to the desktop using the MacMini ROM, so am scratching head here now...

SIP is disabled already, I did that right at the start, but I'll double check. (I'm assuming it stays disabled no matter what ROM I apply?)

This is most strange that you guys are able to boot... 

I'll check/clean out the EFI partition if I see anything there and see what happens...

Thanks for all the input too guys, really really handy to have a community like willing to help!

Anyone using ATI RX4x0 cards with this board under Sierra?  I've been using an nVidia 650Ti for a couple years and it is starting to show its age.  Given that nVidia has official drivers for the 10x0 series of cards it would seem that going that way has fewer speedbumps, but I wanted to know if anyone has experience with recent ATI cards.

Im not on the ATI RX4x0 over here, but I am on a R9 280x. Its great but ill probably upgrade to a 1080 TI very soon now that the drivers are out. It really depends on what your using your computer for. If your working on a lot of Final Cut Pro projects, I would say stick with AMD as they work much better with FCPX. If your planning on working in between mac and windows and you will game in windows, then go with the 10 series graphics cards. 

Hi IronMan,

Booting into Recovery Boot is the same outcome, (circle with diagonal line)

Using the same macOS (10.12.4) installed SSD, I'm successfully able to boot to the desktop using the MacMini ROM, so am scratching head here now...

SIP is disabled already, I did that right at the start, but I'll double check. (I'm assuming it stays disabled no matter what ROM I apply?)

This is most strange that you guys are able to boot... 

I'll check/clean out the EFI partition if I see anything there and see what happens...

Thanks for all the input too guys, really really handy to have a community like willing to help!

Turns out there were two folders in the EFI partition:

Apple and Oz.

Apple folder had a firmware.scap file present.
Oz folder just had empty folders.

I deleted them both, moved SSD back into quo mobo and still get circle-with-diagonal.

I then refreshed the BIOS again using the BIOS that IronMan provided.

Still no go though.

Have flashed back to Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.MacMini.ROM and booted into Recovery Partition and can confirm that SIP is disabled.

I really don't know what to do now as I can't think of anything else that's causing this...

Turns out there were two folders in the EFI partition:

Apple and Oz.

Apple folder had a firmware.scap file present.
Oz folder just had empty folders.

I deleted them both, moved SSD back into quo mobo and still get circle-with-diagonal.

I then refreshed the BIOS again using the BIOS that IronMan provided.

Still no go though.

Have flashed back to Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.MacMini.ROM and booted into Recovery Partition and can confirm that SIP is disabled.

I really don't know what to do now as I can't think of anything else that's causing this...

Did you clear the nvram after installing the Bios IronMan provided?, after that disable csr on the recovery partition and boot to macOS. Let us know what happens.

Well, I give up...

I think the Thunderbolt chipset is dead on my mobo.

The only ROM that I can boot to desktop is Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.MacMini.ROM

All others (even after following Tosk's flashing method back at post #3034) give me a circle-with-diagonal or stall at some point after bringing ethernet up, so this doesn't help...

I even flashed back to the last official ROM being F3A and booted off Ubuntu 16.10 runtime DVD.

Using modprobe, lshw & lspci – no sign of Thunderbolt at all...  :(

I also connected my Win10 SSD that I've been using with this mobo for the last 3 years and booted from that – no sign of Thunderbolt in device manager either...

I know I haven't applied that Thunderbolt firmware update because it still appears in the AppStore Updates when I do successfully boot up using the MacMini ROM.

Oh well... I bought this mobo to initially game with and then retire it to being the server motherboard (something I've done for 20 years now)

All I want is a mobo with Thunderbolt and PCIe ports (something Apple can't provide atm) so I can hook up my SAS array and share with 10GB ethernet using Thunderbolt fibre cables. 

Have just purchased a Gigabyte X99 UD4 and so will have a play with clover and see how far I get.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions – such a shame my mobo's TB has failed as it would've been a great/fast ZFS NAS box.

Cheers all.

You should take the values for serial numbers generated by Chameleon Wizard and put them in the Defaults.plist  file and place the Default.plist file in /EFI/Oz on the EFI partition.  The plist file generated by Chameleon Wizard will do nothing on Ozmosis

• Like 1

Still got nothing, copied the default from earlier post replaced the serial and then the serial+5 numbers on the default and then clear nvram by terminal. Still sitting at a 3,1.

Use Command Option P R  boot option to reload the nvram from the defaults.plist, and make sure your boot disk is port 0, otherwise it will look on the wrong HD for the EFI partition.

Use Command Option P R  boot option to reload the nvram from the defaults.plist, and make sure your boot disk is port 0, otherwise it will look on the wrong HD for the EFI partition.

I had to unplug a hard drive to get to the main one to come up at 0. Held option command p r and I still am at 3,1. It's super frustrating, if you have anything else send it my way.