OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Tosk,

I updated to your BIOS, and I can download Sierra now, and all is fine, except I lost sound. Not sure how to get it back. Suggestions?

I used the audio package on the wiki I believe.

I don't use this board regularly yet and I don't remember what I did for audio, but it definitely worked.

I don't use VoodooHDA because I've had bad experiences with it in the past and prefer an AppleHDA solution.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I used the audio package on the wiki I believe.

I don't use this board regularly yet and I don't remember what I did for audio, but it definitely worked.

I don't use VoodooHDA because I've had bad experiences with it in the past and prefer an AppleHDA solution.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There definitely was some weirdness going on, as it also wouldn't load the Defaults.plist I created, where I had DisableVoodooHDA set to false.   I reverted back to my previous BIOS, then flashed the new one.  I had to re-enable VoodooHDA in NVRAM and all is working now, including properly loading my Defaults.plist.  I'm backing up my system before I upgrade to Sierra, but I'm expecting it should go OK now.

• Like 1

If my memory is correct you will not be able to inject VoodooHDA from BIOS or EFI under MacOS Sierra. You will have to install it in /Library/Extensions if you want to use it.

I'll have to try that once I get it booting again.  Tried updating to Sierra and it appears pretty hosed.  Run the installer, and at reboot the console shows a lot of errors, then hangs at a gray screen.  I did a backup immediately before installing, so I've got that to return to.

If my memory is correct you will not be able to inject VoodooHDA from BIOS or EFI under MacOS Sierra. You will have to install it in /Library/Extensions if you want to use it.

VoodooHDA works from BIOS perfectly with H20.167x-MASS if you don't disable it on nvram. On some rare cases you need to reboot the computer a second time after installation to get it going.

post-35379-0-65772500-1482208003_thumb.png

Assuming you install from USB, on the USB stick in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

You can add nv_disable=1 to the beginning of the Kernel flags that should get you past the grey screen.

Ok, so my original attempt to install Sierra was not from USB, but from the downloaded installer.  But I was able to recover using Time Machine, and I'm trying again using a USB stick, with the Boot.plist modified as you said.  When it boots however, I can see it has a number of other boot flags, including -nvda_drv=1, which seems to be at cross purposes to nv_disable=1.  Booting from the stick is really slow, and after hanging at the following message for about 10 minutes:

error: busy timeout[0], (240s) kexts wait(0): 'AppleACPICPU'

I get the Apple logo boot screen, but the progress bar never moves.

When it boots however, I can see it has a number of other boot flags, including -nvda_drv=1

Which comes from either your current nvram setting of your current Defaults.plist. The reason you have to put nv_disable=1 in com.apple.Boot.plist is because the installer does not contains Nvidia Web drivers which would get you stuck at the grey screen 

error: busy timeout[0], (240s) kexts wait(0): 'AppleACPICPU'

Never had this one .. my only problem when trying to upgrade to Sierra (10.12.2) on my test partition is at the total end where it says that the package failed verification. How did you create the stick, I used Diskmaker X 6.

Which comes from either your current nvram setting of your current Defaults.plist. The reason you have to put nv_disable=1 in com.apple.Boot.plist is because the installer does not contains Nvidia Web drivers which would get you stuck at the grey screen 

Never had this one .. my only problem when trying to upgrade to Sierra (10.12.2) on my test partition is at the total end where it says that the package failed verification. How did you create the stick, I used Diskmaker X 6.

I was able to remove the boot flag by editing the Default.plist and resetting the PRAM, but it has not resolved the problem with the slow boot and hang after the error message.  The little I've been able to find about the message has always been in association with FakeSMC.

As for making the stick, I used the command line instructions from here:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Sorry for posting here instead of dedicated section, but I think someone from here should see it first if wanted.

So I am selling my Z77MX-QUO-AOS GM board + i7 3770S + 4x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair for 400$ since for months it sits in the corner(using my laptop mostly) I think its better if someone will be happy with it as I was.

Who want it can PM for details.

• Like 3

Wait.. you cleared NVRAM ... means SIP is enabled. 

SIP will prevent injection of Kext into the BIOS.

Disable SIP. Ehither by booting in Recovery or single-user mode

So, booted into Recovery and set csrutility disable.  Also set rootless=0 in my boot flags on my Sierra install USB.  Still hangs after the error code regarding ACPI at the Apple logo and the progress bar never moves, and I get the beachball of doom.  I'm beginning to think that El Capitan is the end of the line for me.

rootless=0 does nothing to properly disable SIP in Defaults.plist  (in bold) :

<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>

<dict>
<key>boot-args</key>
<string>-v nvda_drv=1</string>
<key>csr-active-config</key>
<integer>103</integer>

</dict>

Sorry for posting here instead of dedicated section, but I think someone from here should see it first if wanted.

So I am selling my Z77MX-QUO-AOS GM board + i7 3770S + 4x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair for 400$ since for months it sits in the corner(using my laptop mostly) I think its better if someone will be happy with it as I was.

Who want it can PM for details.

Joe75 is right. You should autograph it!

Here my whole Defaults.plist iMac13,2 as it lives in the EFI partiton

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Version</key>
<string>1.0.1</string>
<key>Date</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
<dict>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459</string>
<key>ProductId</key>
<string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>
<key>ProductFamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>iMac13,2</string>
<key>SystemSerial</key>
<string>YOUR_SERIAL_GOES_HERE</string>
<key>BaseBoardSerial</key>
<string>YOUR_SERIAL+5_DIGITS_GOES_HERE</string>
</dict>
<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
<dict>
<key>boot-args</key>
<string>-v nvda_drv=1</string>
<key>csr-active-config</key>
<integer>103</integer>
</dict>
<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>
<dict>
<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>
<string>$label</string>
<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>
<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>
<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict></plist>

• Like 1

Here my whole Defaults.plist iMac13,2 as it lives in the EFI partiton

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plistversion="1.0"><dict><key>Version</key><string>1.0.1</string><key>Date</key><integer>0</integer><key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key><dict><key>BiosVersion</key><string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459</string><key>ProductId</key><string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string><key>ProductFamily</key><string>iMac</string><key>ProductName</key><string>iMac13,2</string><key>SystemSerial</key><string>YOUR_SERIAL_GOES_HERE</string><key>BaseBoardSerial</key><string>YOUR_SERIAL+5_DIGITS_GOES_HERE</string></dict><key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key><dict><key>boot-args</key><string>-vnvda_drv=1</string><key>csr-active-config</key><integer>103</integer></dict><key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key><dict><key>BootEntryTemplate</key><string>$label</string><key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key><string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string><key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key><string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string><key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key><true/></dict></dict></plist> 

Thanks (there's an error at line 3 "<plistversion="1.0">" should be "<plist version="1.0">"  :P)

post-674334-0-77401000-1482678614_thumb.png

is "Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101" a partition uuid or a disk uuid?

EDIT

Merry Christmas to All!

• Like 1

Thanks (there's an error at line 3 "<plistversion="1.0">" should be "<plist version="1.0">"  :P)

Correct, I had pasted from post #3022 but somehow that blank got lost..it also should be "-v nvda_drv=1" and not "-vnvda_drv=1" edited the post #3117.

is "Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101" a partition uuid or a disk uuid?

Actually what this Hex string represents, I do not know. I think they are uuid proprietary to Ozmosis but someone better than me would have to answer this.
  • Like 1