OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I reflashed the bios with Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.ROM. I was able to successfully boot off USB and go through the install for Sierra. Now when I boot up I get no display.

Boot into single-user mode (hold Command+S at startup)

sudo nvram 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101:DisableNvidiaInjection=%01
sudo shutdown -r NOW

That link doesn't work. Can you post the BIOS image that you flashed?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=194740

Boot into single-user mode (hold Command+S at startup)

sudo nvram 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101:DisableNvidiaInjection=%01
sudo shutdown -r NOW

Thank you, tried it and after reboot I saw the apple logo with the loading bar below it. It got a quarter of the way there then the display went dark. No output to any of my monitors.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=194740

Thank you, tried it and after reboot I saw the apple logo with the loading bar below it. It got a quarter of the way there then the display went dark. No output to any of my monitors.

What system definition are you using? Did you reset NVRAM after you flashed that BIOS image?

I did not add a system definition, I thought one was embedded in the bios?

Yes I did reset the NVRAM twice after flashing BIOS image, as per one of your previous posts.

Okay. The system definition in the BIOS image is Macmini6,2.

The boot-args = darkwake=0 kext-dev-mode=1

I didn't see an entry for csr-active-config.

Do you know if SIP is disabled? How did you determine that?

Try booting verbose. Does DSMOS arrive? Are there any kext load errors?

Okay. The system definition in the BIOS image is Macmini6,2.

The boot-args = darkwake=0 kext-dev-mode=1

I didn't see an entry for csr-active-config.

Do you know if SIP is disabled? How did you determine that?

Try booting verbose. Does DSMOS arrive? Are there any kext load errors?

Yes, SIP is disabled in that ROM. ( <key>csr-active-config</key>

<integer>103</integer> ).

How many monitors you have?, try booting with only one monitor, preferably connected to the onboard video.

First  I would get into verbose mode to see up to where it goes ... I suspect it goes thru to whole boot process but then somehow switch display to iGPU (maybe because Nvidia Web Drivers would need be installed) .

Once again boot into single-user mode (Command+S at startup)

/sbin/mount -uw /
pico -w /System/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

you want to modify the Kernel flags section so it reads like this

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

Save it and 

shutdown -r NOW

Boot should be in verbose now ...

Do you have access to another computer or device that can act as a VNC (screen sharing) or ARD or SSH  client  ?

or a very simple way of knowing if it does what I think it does  ...

Let it boot and then when you get the black screens everywhere (not before) plug one monitor into the onboard video connector ... Do you get an image ? If so then install Nvidia Web drivers, shutdown , disconnect monitor from onboard and boot up

• Like 1

or a very simple way of knowing if it does what I think it does  ...

Let it boot and then when you get the black screens everywhere (not before) plug one monitor into the onboard video connector ... Do you get an image ? If so then install Nvidia Web drivers, shutdown , disconnect monitor from onboard and boot up

I did try connecting to both the HDMI port and the DVI port, there is no output from onboard.

In the bios settings, which changes should I make. I feel I possibly missed one?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm trying to find out the streamlined way to install Sierra on my QUO.

I would like to keep my El Capitan SSD (which works perfecly thanks to IronmanJFF) and have a second SSD (AngelBird 512GB) with Sierra.

I have a brand new emoty AngelBird SSD

I have tried a regular install but I just got the message - This version of Mac Os X cannot be istalled on this computer -

Here my questions:

1. If I flash the BIOS with Tosk's BIOS, I will be able to install the Sierra?

2. If I flash the BIOS with Tosk's BIOS, I will be able to continute using El Capitan as perfect as muy QUO works now?*

*I can even hot swap disks!! and mounting a Thunderbolt RAID just takes me a couple of restarts!

My Config

Intel 3770-K 3,9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2989 MB

Thanks a lot!!

nVidia 

Hello,

I'm trying to find out the streamlined way to install Sierra on my QUO.

I would like to keep my El Capitan SSD (which works perfecly thanks to IronmanJFF) and have a second SSD (AngelBird 512GB) with Sierra.

I have a brand new emoty AngelBird SSD

I have tried a regular install but I just got the message - This version of Mac Os X cannot be istalled on this computer -

Here my questions:

2. If I flash the BIOS with Tosk's BIOS, I will be able to continute using El Capitan as perfect as muy QUO works now?*

I can even hot swap disks!! and mounting a Thunderbolt RAID just takes me a couple of restarts!

Thanks a lot!!

You can try it. Mine uses the iMac13,2 system definition, which is supported by Sierra. Always make a backup of your working BIOS first so you can go back if you have problems.

Not straight out of the box ...

You have to check what is in the built-in Defaults.plist in Tosk ROM and  account for that in your own Defaults.plist (if you don't currently have one you will need one).

For instance, Tosk does not have a Nvidia card but you do ...

Also once you apply Tosk ROM, your QUO become an iMac  .. for iTunes and iMessage that is a different computer ...

it can be done and perform as you want it too but you need to plan ahead

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping somebody could help me. I want to start off by applogizing as this may be a dumb question. I have tried searching for an answer and am now more confused than when I started.

I need to create a default.plist file in order to successfully install macOS Sierra on my system. I am using an NVIDIA card. Could someone point me in the right direction in how I would do that?

My full system specs currently are:

8GB Corsair DDR3 ram (will be upgrading to 32 soon)

i5-3570k

ASUS GTX660 with 3 ASUS 27" Displays

LG Bluray Reader/Writer Combo (with lightscribe)

GBU521 USB BT

Corsair Cherry MX Blue keyboard

Monoprice 7 port USB 3 hub

ADATA 256 SSD

Bose 2.1 speakers

If anyone has time, could you also let me know what the defaults.plist actually is? I would love to learn more about it.

Hi Scott

The main purpose a a Defaults.plist is to enable you to override the BIOS defaults without having to mod your BIOS. it is a lot easier to edit a file than to create a custom BIOS image for every single possible configuration.

To properly prepare a Defaults.plist file for you I need to know which version of OS X you are currently running and which BIOS you are currently using.

You can try it. Mine uses the iMac13,2 system definition, which is supported by Sierra. Always make a backup of your working BIOS first so you can go back if you have problems.

Tosk,

I updated to your BIOS, and I can download Sierra now, and all is fine, except I lost sound.  Not sure how to get it back.  Suggestions?