Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Scoobaspeaz, maybe installing a virtual Os X with VirtualBox?

I didnt think OS X would virtualize in VirtualBox.  If so how do you get the ISO cause apple requires getting it from the Mac App store and be running OS X already?  If its possible to virtualize it, and I can get an ISO, i would try that. 

@parcox - 

i recently went through this same procedure. so when you change your screen to 1600x900 it is very important that your change the cable with new inverter too. the inverter is specific to the screen size. 

Yes, I'm aware of that. In fact I already bought the inverter but the screen is not yet. 

parcox, to update to a 1600x900 it´s unbelievable in usability. I had first a 1.366 x 768 one, and when a I moved to a 1600x900 i really got impressed.

That's good information for me, some people said that 1600x900 on 14 inch is not really good for text reading such as web browsing etc.  Would you confirm that, or maybe you could attach some screenshot of your screen while browsing or using word processor application. Thanks

@parcox - glad you knew about that. thats a detail that could get overlooked! good news is you can always use a lower res

1368x768 post-954945-0-26152500-1457106340_thumb.png

1600x900 post-954945-0-23944200-1457106403_thumb.png

@nhoc_maruko9x - its my understanding that the USB3 on the T420s is not Intel or Fresno Logic based chipset - so i don't know of a good solution on El Capitan. 

@scoobaspeaz - using a real mac or hack to download and create the USB is the easiest way for sure. do you know anyone with a mac? Otherwise, the virtual machine route may be the best way. About 4 years ago i created a snow leopard VM from a $29 DVD i bought from the apple store! now the OS is free but harder to get. ;)

• Like 1

I'm running El Capitan, my T420s recognizes USB 3.0 port only if I plug the usb before the laptop booted up. Also if the usb is still plugged in, laptop can't be shutdown. Any idea how to fix that? I remember there's no problem with Yosemite.

1600x900 on 14" is pretty good actually. But it all depends on your vision. Like my company provided 14" Dell is FullHD and I'm not comfortable with that resolution.

1600x900 on 14" is pretty good actually. But it all depends on your vision. Like my company provided 14" Dell is FullHD and I'm not comfortable with that resolution.

If it´s not native resolution, it´s {censored}. At least, that´s my experience trough the years….

@oxygen427 and T420s owners.  

thinking about the USB3 issue  some more, I recall reading that some have replaced/rolled back the El Capitan USB kexts with Yosemite kexts.  perhaps that is the method that could get all the USB ports working for you and others.

• Like 1

I took a quick look through the thread but I didnt see anything, is it possible to get Clover to display at the native 1366x768 resolution? Im trying to get the boot screen to display and transition as smoothly as possible, however right now it's displayed stretched and then switches to the correct resolution but I lose the Apple logo when that happens. Any ideas?

For those of you who find the T420's speakers to be quiet and muddy sounding I wanted to share this -- there's an app called Boom 2 that lets you boost the volume and apply a system wide equalizer, Ive been messing around with the settings and with the settings in the below screenshot it seems to have definitely helped.

EDIT: Helps if I attach the screenshot... *facepalm*

post-1637919-0-67083400-1457282965_thumb.png

I took a quick look through the thread but I didnt see anything, is it possible to get Clover to display at the native 1366x768 resolution? Im trying to get the boot screen to display and transition as smoothly as possible, however right now it's displayed stretched and then switches to the correct resolution but I lose the Apple logo when that happens. Any ideas?

not that i know of.

there are only a view resolution options for the BIOS (or Clover) to use - they seem to be 4:3 or 16:10 ratios.

so i chose the resolution closest match with least distortion given the 16:9 ratio  - 900x600

0:593  0:026  SetScreenResolution: 960x600 - setting Mode 1

0:699  0:105  Video mode change to mode #1: Success

0:699  0:000  Console modes reported: 7, available modes:

0:699  0:000    Mode 1: 80x25

0:699  0:000    Mode 3: 96x25

0:699  0:000    Mode 4: 120x31 (current mode)

0:699  0:000    Mode 5: 128x40

0:699  0:000    Mode 6: 80x25

0:699  0:000    Mode 7: 100x31

5:351  0:000  CurrentMode: Width=960 Height=600

Mode X Y ratio:

1 640 480 4:3

3 768 480 16:10

4 960 600 16:10

5 1024 768 4:3

6 640 480 4:3

7 800 600 4:3

check this site for a clover patch to fix the 2nd stage boot logo glitch.

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD3000_1366x768.plist

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Boot graphics glitch, 10.10.x/10.11.x (credit lisai9093, cecekpawon)</string>

<key>Disabled</key>

<true/>

<key>Find</key>

<data>AQAAdRc=</data>

<key>Name</key>

<string>IOGraphicsFamily</string>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>AQAA6xc=</data>

</dict>

• Like 1

@tluck I'll give that a shot, thanks. I noticed in the config file sample that this section is present but not in the one for the T420, is it not needed?

<dict>
<key>Device</key>
<string>IntelGFX</string>
<key>Key</key>
<string>AAPL,snb-platform-id</string>
<key>Value</key>
<data>AAABAA==</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Selects mobile HD3000 framebuffer</string>
</dict>

no should not be needed. you can define the buffers set by the using this id or by the model.

with the MBP8,1 model we typically use i am pretty sure, we are using the 1st frame buffer set. 

For those of you who find the T420's speakers to be quiet and muddy sounding I wanted to share this -- there's an app called Boom 2 that lets you boost the volume and apply a system wide equalizer, Ive been messing around with the settings and with the settings in the below screenshot it seems to have definitely helped.

EDIT: Helps if I attach the screenshot... *facepalm*

Take care with this app. I got to damage both speakers of a Apple Led Display some years ago. I encourage not to install it, as it push the speakers beyond what they are supposed to do.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/boom_lets_you_turn_your_macs_volume_up_to_eleven

Take care with this app. I got to damage both speakers of a Apple Led Display some years ago. I encourage not to install it, as it push the speakers beyond what they are supposed to do.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/boom_lets_you_turn_your_macs_volume_up_to_eleven

Thanks for the heads up. I was careful in boosting the audio and lowered the bass with the equalizer to minimize any amount of distortion, so far so good. :)

has any tested out the 10.11.4 beta versions ? it has been a complete disaster for me - getting tons of graphics artifacts and the dreaded "possible hang in main graphics engine - which freezes up the screen way too often.

has any tested out the 10.11.4 beta versions ? it has been a complete disaster for me - getting tons of graphics artifacts and the dreaded "possible hang in main graphics engine - which freezes up the screen way too often.

Nop. I remained in Yosemite. Even in my Mac Pro. "Upgrading" to El Capitan has no sense to me. 

tluck, waiting for my X220 , i have this guide.

http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/os-x-yosemite-installation/

but implies using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url],

Theres also one for El Capitan, seems mo up to date,  that i don´t want to install….

http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com

Do you have any idea if could simplify the method for install Yosemite, more similar to yours in T420?

Thanks a lot in advance.

well it seems that mcdonnelltech leveraged the same files from this guide - DSDT and kext pack - so its pretty much the same thing as here.

if you already have a disk with OSX - you could just clone it to the drive on your X220 - then all you do is add the ESP and custom kexts.