Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

my company's HD is bitlocked, (i switch internat hd with my personal HD to make it hack)

my bios information say that bios upgrade is allowed.

will the upgrading bios break the bitlock or ask for the key? if yes i can't upgrade bios

if no then i can do it so please give me 100% sure information

can someone tell how to easy upgrade the bios, i did it in the past with a compaq 311c

put the firmware on a usb key , boot on it F12 it did it automatically

end and reboot

I had to give up for now. After bios update and HD3000 modification I still get glitches. This isn't good.

I just installed fresh 10.11.3. It's so nice to be back in stable glitch free world. I need to wait till next release to see if anything will change.

• Like 2

Same story if i load from  Hiren's boot DVD with Windows 7. If i execute WINUPTP.EXE, i got message that BIOS not need to upgrade. If i load flash.bat, console was opened, after some time it just closing. After reboot I still have same BIOS.

Quick report:

I've just upgraded my Thinkpad (X220) with the latest 10.11.4 update and at least for now (like 10-15 minutes browsing  / youtube etc.) it seems that my machine is not affected with these glithes  :frantics: you are discussing.

The bios version, if that matters, is 1.39 modded (whitelist removal). Although there is newer version - I found 1.40 modded and there is even newer 1.42 on the lenovo site, I've decided to go for the update and see how it goes and then update if needed.

If I observe any strange behaviour I'll report back, but for now maybe for X220 users 10.11.4 is good to go.

EDIT: Today, after maybe a total of 10 hours usage I've got the first complete system freeze. It seems that in the end I'll need to update the bios and see if this persists. Beside that freeze, I still haven't seen any glitches as the ones discussed above.

EDIT2: Here comes the artefacts  :(

post-1035046-0-36447100-1459241274_thumb.png

post-1035046-0-36447100-1459241274_thumb.png

Edited by plesho
  • Like 1

Just to update, I´m still on 10.11.4 and did not see the dreadful grey squares for some time now.

I did install the 10.11.4 combo update over the automatically updated 10.11.4 

Whitelist was removed some time ago (from Windows) for my DW 1510. BIOS is 1.46. Screen res. 1600x900.

BUT the graphics errors do come back for a short while randomly. What triggers them remains a mystery.

It seems to help here, not to power off the T420 (once everything is working) and to let it sleep rather.

I'm curious if this happens only to all El Capitan Systems that has been in the past updated from Yosemite?

Or does it happen also on newly installed El Capitan Systems?

My System that had the issue, was upgraded in the past from Yosemite, then updated regularly as update became available.

I did a clean install 10.11.0, then combo updated to 10.11.3. No video problems. I updated to 10.11.4 when available, then this video problem started happening as soon as I  restarted the computer after the new update finished installing.

I don't have a backup of 10.11.3, so I just restored back to 10.10.5, no problem with this version at all.

Hi, I had no problems with graphics after update (I updated from 10.11.0 to 10.11.4 via combo updater). But I had a problem with sound. The AppleHda wrapper didn't work for me - had no audio output to select and grey sound icon. I had to use VooodooHDA, which works, but with limitations (it doesn't recognize when you plug in headphones). The machine is plain T420 with Intel HD3000, 4GB RAM and Ericsson broadband modem (which actually works, I even managed to modify crappy Apple WWAN interface to recognize it). Overall great work, thanks to tluck I have much better machine than original macbook (more ports, two hard drives etc) and very, very stable. 

@adaml75 - there is a newer AppleHDA_20672.kext that works with 10.11.4 if you are interested.

i didn't have any glitches until 10.11.4 either.  10.11.3 seems ok. for sure Yosemite was rock solid the whole time. 

i am living with the glitches for now. a few lines or black splotches every now and then.

so i got sick of these blotches and took anther attempt at fixing. Using a brute force method installed 10.11.3

and then I copied/reverted a bunch of kexts:  *HD3000* *SNB* AppleGraphics* and IOGraphics* kexts

and so far - no glitches. i will update you after i see if it really works and what really made the difference. 

-- 

recommendation - remove/disable /S/L/E/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1

I followed your guide almost to a T and have a great install on my T420

I only had a macbook with snow leopard so I had to find a way around "createinstallmedia" but that was not too hard. Then the install failed after about a minute until I found a video that instructed me to put some files on the usb drive. There is a video on youtube (

) that tells how to fix it. After that i have not had much problem.

All I need now is a way to have wireless. Is there a solution? A wireless card that Lenovo will accept? Or a workaround?

@emet - welcome to the club!

wifi- search this thread for "atheros" and you will see discussions on wifi solutions - these 2 are fairly popular.

stay on bios v1.46 and then there is a link to a modded bios - -  that is required to let these chips work. 

Atheros AR5BHB92
- dual-band: 2.4GHz + 5GHz. МасOS up to 150 Mbps on 2.4GHz and up to 300 Mbps on 5GHz, Windows up to 300 Mbps on both bands.
Broadcom BCM94322HM8L
- dual-band: 2.4GHz + 5GHz. МасOS up to 150 Mbps on 2.4GHz and up to 300 Mbps on 5GHz, Windows up to 300 Mbps on both bands.

@Zeridialous - i dunno? must be a driver thing? with my atheros on dual band wifi i only get tx=130 on 2.4 Ghz,  but tx=300 on 5 Ghz

update on 10.11.4 glitches: 

1) if i rollback the just the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to 10.11.3 - get pretty decent results - just a odd black line every now and then.

2) if i rollback more kexts:  AppleIntelHD3000* and AppleIntelSNB* and AGPM - seems to do even better - just started testing this though.  - glitches again.

• Like 2

Finally I update my BIOS yesterday to 2170 version. For two day I does't have any glitches, except one or two very small, but I have some glitches before I update to 10.11.4. And new BIOS provide native resolution on loading screen and smoother screen wakeup.

UPDATE: after short time i write it I take first system freeze. So BIOS update don't solve this problem, but make system "workable".

well anyone on 10.11.4 can test this out if you would like.

attached are 2 kexts that have made 10.11.4 usable without freeze or hardly any glitches for me (very very rare in last 2 days). 

install these kexts /Library/Extensions like this:

sudo cp ~/Downloads/El_Capitan_HD3000_Fix/* /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions/Apple*
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

then reboot.

kexts installed as adviced. 

Update report 3 (04/04/2016): no problem @boot, 

after few days ( : and massive tests (on several web site, with launching many apps together)

few and rare lines, glitches with some site (flash part),

seems better than it was :)

I would advice people (in the how to) to stay on 10.11.3 for the moment.

Thanks a lot tluck for the time you'e giving to make our T420 perfect and up up to date :)

• Like 1

Guys, I finally jumped onto the T420 bandwagon. This time I got myself a T420s, made a DSDT for myself, the only issue remain is these two:

+ Brightness FN keys not working

+ Shutdown becomes restart

Can someone post a DSDt patch to solve these two issues for me ? Thanks in advanced

Hi, I had no problems with graphics after update (I updated from 10.11.0 to 10.11.4 via combo updater). But I had a problem with sound. The AppleHda wrapper didn't work for me - had no audio output to select and grey sound icon. I had to use VooodooHDA, which works, but with limitations (it doesn't recognize when you plug in headphones). The machine is plain T420 with Intel HD3000, 4GB RAM and Ericsson broadband modem (which actually works, I even managed to modify crappy Apple WWAN interface to recognize it). Overall great work, thanks to tluck I have much better machine than original macbook (more ports, two hard drives etc) and very, very stable. 

Two or three times the same sound issue happened to me. Solved it running Kext Utility, cause i did´t like at all what VoodooHDA does. 

vusun123 - welcome.

the T420s DSDT in the zip may not have all the same patches in the T420 DSDT. i just posted the version Pokenguyen provided awhile back. i did make some changes for 10.11 but not having a T420s i cant test. Should be easy fix to the brightness and shutdown if you add copy the PNLF, and _WAK devices from the T420 into the T420s

- i am testing the Yosemite 10.10.5 AppleGraphicPowerManagement.kext to see if that behaves better for the 10.11.4 glitches. the crazy thing is my son's T420 does not get a single glitch. so i presume others out there are lucky as well.

vusun123 - welcome.

the T420s DSDT in the zip may not have all the same patches in the T420 DSDT. i just posted the version Pokenguyen provided awhile back. i did make some changes for 10.11 but not having a T420s i cant test. Should be easy fix to the brightness and shutdown if you add copy the PNLF, and _WAK devices from the T420 into the T420s

- i am testing the Yosemite 10.10.5 AppleGraphicPowerManagement.kext to see if that behaves better for the 10.11.4 glitches. the crazy thing is my son's T420 does not get a single glitch. so i presume others out there are lucky as well.

That´s so odd.. Maybe try a cloned HD from your son´s T420 in your system?