Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Hello folks.

I cloned the whole triple boot disk to a bigger SSD but now I don’t even get the CLOVER menu. All the partitions and data are there but the new disk is not bootable. I’m guessing there are some serial number values somewhere that I need to edit. If that’s the case could you please guide me through the process?

Thank you in advance.

3 hours ago, datagr said:

Hello folks.

I cloned the whole triple boot disk to a bigger SSD but now I don’t even get the CLOVER menu. All the partitions and data are there but the new disk is not bootable. I’m guessing there are some serial number values somewhere that I need to edit. If that’s the case could you please guide me through the process?

Thank you in advance.

How did you clone it? Depending on the method, EFI is not cloned, so you have to copy it manually.

Edited by trifero

4 hours ago, trifero said:

How did you clone it? Depending on the method, EFI is not cloned, so you have to copy it manually.

I mounted the old and the new SSD to a desktop computer and I used AOMEI. I used the “clone disk” option. Is there a tested method that you could recommend me? Thank you for the reply.

1 hour ago, datagr said:

I mounted the old and the new SSD to a desktop computer and I used AOMEI. I used the “clone disk” option. Is there a tested method that you could recommend me? Thank you for the reply.

Clonezilla. Boot clonezilla from an USB or CD.

Edited by trifero

On 11/25/2021 at 12:51 AM, datagr said:

hmm. yes check that the new drive comes out GPT/GUID formatted with the same stuff in the EFI. hmm or I wonder if the old T420 bios can recogize the new disk properly? is it a large SSD?
I use a disk caddy for my 2nd drive so I have a 750GB SATA is in the main bay and a small 250 SSD is in the caddy. 

$ ssh toms-mac.local diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk3         719.9 GB   disk0s2

3:                  Apple_HFS macOS-Sierra            29.9 GB    disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk1

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         197.8 GB   disk1s2

3:       Microsoft Basic Data C                       50.0 GB    disk1s3

4:           Windows Recovery                         878.7 MB   disk1s4

• 2 months later...

Hello

Is it still Nessecary to Apply the DOS-Dude Post Install Patches after Istallation of Catalina on the T420 with newest Open Core EFI , or is this Nowadays Obsoltete ?

If it is still requeried , wich of the Patches must be Installed ?

Greetz Vicy

On 1/29/2022 at 10:25 PM, Vicybaby said:

Hello

Is it still Nessecary to Apply the DOS-Dude Post Install Patches after Istallation of Catalina on the T420 with newest Open Core EFI , or is this Nowadays Obsoltete ?

If it is still requeried , wich of the Patches must be Installed ?

Greetz Vicy

if you are running Mojave or Catalina, yes you need follow the Dos-dude1 method. This means special installer and then post-fixes. I use the auto-install method to do the post-install for MBP8,1.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys 

let's have a look to :

https://github.com/chris1111/Patch-HD4000-Monterey may be some best of us could help to make

HD3000 for monterey?

Update : answer of Chris1111 :

To find out if this is possible you would have to test OCLP the TUI version and save the program LOG so that we can see what kexts and Fraworks are needed for the HD3000.

All the best 

Tetonne

Edited by Tetonne

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone use the express card slot in their T420 with a hackintosh?  I’m on high sierra at present but would be nice to add a higher throughput for USB devices.

Also, outside of the Catalina/Mojave, has anyone successfully upgraded to any newer macOS through OC method? Thinking I’d put a few hours into researching it, but if smarter heads here have looked I’ll stick with an updated to Catalina and call it a day.

UPDATE 3/6/23:  Express Card slot works with my Hackintosh T420 with High Sierra.

Edited by leaddonkey

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone would like to, I was able to successfully get my T420 to boot into BigSur with opencore and the OCLP getting the Intel HD3000 graphics working.  Outside of a sleep issue, it works flawlessly and is fairly quick (16gb of ram) and SSD. I know BigSur went EOL October '23, but at least it's newer than S/HS/M.

Trying to get Monterrey/Ventura/Sonoma to work as I'm ok that certain things won't work (photos crashes constantly, works occassionally). People on the r/hackintosh forum have reported it working, but no one has provided a guide as of yet.

And happy new year to all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...